Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-09-2012, 02:11 PM   #1
Raenstoirm
BL6 Team Challenge Tracker
Lets go get me your numbers!

Maintaining fitness level- runners?

I am currently on a marathon training schedule to be completed in late April. There is a lot of work to get yourself ready for such an event (as I am discovering and I have only been working on it for a month!). When it is over, how do you keep up that fitness? An hour or two run a couple times a week? Then upping it when a race is on the horizon? I am still very new to long distances, but I dont want to "waste" my training by only running one race and having to start from scratch for the next one.

Trying to stay at every resort, but we are creatures of habit!
Caribbean Beach/Riverside/Wilderness Lodge/All Star Movies/Beach Club/Contemporary

Raenstoirm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 10:28 PM   #2
adkkev
hiking fool

Once you run a HM or marathon, you'll want to run another. or two. or three. So you take a "rest week" after your marathon, cutting back on your miles, taking it easy, and then you start plotting about your next big race.

I haven't had a race since mid-September but I am still running 5 days a week ... for me it's just a matter of liking to run & it helps keep me healthy. The health part is motivation enough for me.
adkkev is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-10-2012, 09:24 AM   #3
SAHDad
DIS Veteran

If all you are wanting to do is maintain fitness so that you can ramp back up to training for a half without starting from scratch, you could get by with running 2-3 short runs (of about 3 miles) per week, and then a long run of about 6.

But, as adkkev said, running races can get addictive. So you might find yourself in a situation where you always have a race on the horizon, which is not a bad thing.

Current running streak - 2017 days in a row. Yearly mileage to date: 179.1. Last update: 2/25/14.

All runners are equal. Some however, are apparently more equal than others.
SAHDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 01:04 PM   #4
Steve's Girl
DIS Veteran

Typically, my last race of the season is in Oct or Nov and then I don't run another race until spring. Since we live in the Midwest, I try to keep my running flexible over the winter based on weather. I have found that 2 or 3 shorter runs during the week and a longer run over the weekend is fine for maintaining fitness. I use a 12 week plan to prepare for a half and a 16 week plan to prepare for a full. So, I ramp up my running based on when my first race is scheduled in the spring.
Old 11-13-2012, 05:59 PM   #5
Snelldog
Earning My Ears

I finished the Chicago Marathon in early October. (My first) I tried to follow some recovery plans, but MAN it was HARD!! So, after 2 weeks of 6 miles, then 10 miles, I took two weeks off. BIG MISTAKE! My first run back was VERY difficult, and 2 min/mile slower. Anyway, I've stuck with it, and after 2 weeks now, I'm running pretty well. But, oddly, a little slower than I had been before the marathon. Also, i've gained 12 pounds. But, I attribute that to eating the same as I was when I was in full blown training mode. I find that signing up for the next race is very important. It is what keeps me motivated. Maybe even just a 5k. But, I've already signed up for 2 Halfs. A local one, and Little Rock. Very excited! Anyway. That's my $.02
Snelldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 07:56 AM   #6
cewait
DIS Veteran

Location: At the intersection of Ocoee, Winter Garden and Windermere... I hear 'WISHES thunder' every night at 10pm

Generally, I will keep a base where I run 10-13 miles as a long run every 2-3 weeks. But I also suggest spreading out the fun into cycling and swimming. You may not feel like running for a week or two post marathon (marathon blues). That is normal. Once you feel like you can walk well, hit the road and get back into the routine.
Endurance Coach
Running Disney since 99

I don't want easy - just possible

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cewait/
cewait is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: