Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-13-2012, 11:04 PM   #931
Xclusive2WDW
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmackeymouse View Post
I'd also like to add another perspective. I am not anti-branding, and I don't necessarily think Starbucks is evil. I am not a coffee drinker, and neither is anyone in my family, so take it for what it's worth.

For me it is about the "starbucks generation" or "starbucks culture" as I call it. There are some people, and by some people, I am including some of my closest relatives, whose lives revolve around getting their daily Starbucks. And, I think we have all been somewhere and seen large groups of people walking around like zombies with their Starbucks fix in their hands, and at least one of them says, in a monotone voice, "I just cannot function until I've had my macchiato."

I am not trying to begrudge those who like or even love Starbucks. I have been there a handful of times. I can usually find something I like. But, I think of the sign that says, "Here you leave today, and enter a world of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy." As I said before, I am not against brand names at Disney. For me the whole "Starbucks culture" is not a part of yesterday, tomorrow, or fantasy (well maybe some people's fantasies)

That said, I figure the percentage of people that will stop for Starbucks will be relatively low, so I won't encounter many glassy eyed "gotta have my coffee" walking dead, and I will be there bright-eyed, bushy tailed, focused, and filled with hope, so I won't even notice any of it.
I really get where your coming from. I just don't understand that by generalizing as you put it the "Starbucks generation" that's not glossing over others habits, routines, traditions, ect. . . You just asked others not to do that. My point is that for the most part I don't think people are trying to degrade how others choose to experience Disney, we all just experience it differently, just as you described how you seeit (yesterday, tomorrow and fantasy). Starbucks for some may hurt that experience, others may be enhanced and many it won't matter one way or the other. It's one aspect of a very large experience. Starbucks also, was someone's dream. Someone wanted a place where coffee and tea and conversation would be just as important as burger joints and ice cream parlors. Money making was in there too, but it has just as much a place in American history as WDW does. Just as people choose to or not to patronize Disney, people will choose (or not choose) to patronize Starbucks.
Commando Member #216
Lord, grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
courage to change the things I can;
and wisdom to know the difference.

Xclusive2WDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 11:22 PM   #932
KellyNY
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xclusive2WDW View Post
THIS: "The only difference in update I see is that name will stay, it was unclear before. The rest is paraphrased article. I am not sure where is all "OMG, now you can clearly see..." coming from. See what exactly, it was there before and it did not change a thing." Is what I quoted from you.

My response was completely related to the quote (which is why I used it). You said you didn't understand where some people's reactions are coming from, eve though it has bee explained several times and I said I did not understand where some people's reaction came from even though things have been explained and re-explained several times.
Yes attitude. So the thread has had it's share of sarcasm and rude comments. Take that up with those posters, not me. I am not the thread, I am one person at which you directed a snappy remark of how your "not repeating yourself". If you have a problem with the rudeness of the thread address the thread, if you have a issue with me address me. I didn't have a issue with you nor was I asking you to clarify anything. I made a comment, that's it. At the end of the day, none of this is THAT serious. This is a FORUM on DISNEY WORLD. This is not a Presidential debate, there are no rules other than the ones by DIS and common decency. If people don't want to participate then don't.
Ugh, seriously. It's just not that deep (however I wasn't rude to you, so don't be rude to me).
If you want to convince yourself that I was rude to you, I cannot help. That is your issue and you use this imaginary rudeness to show me attitude now. Whatever, really. And you are wrong, Dis has rules even if it is not President debate and yes this thread is ridiculous in terms of how people act but to stay here or not is up to everyone.

DESPERADOS, AND LOVING IT !!!

HO HO HO
KellyNY is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-13-2012, 11:34 PM   #933
Xclusive2WDW
Mouseketeer

THIS: "The only difference in update I see is that name will stay, it was unclear before. The rest is paraphrased article. I am not sure where is all "OMG, now you can clearly see..." coming from. See what exactly, it was there before and it did not change a thing." Is what I quoted from you.

My response was completely related to the quote (which is why I used it). You said you didn't understand where some people's reactions are coming from, eve though it has bee explained several times and I said I did not understand where some people's reaction came from even though things have been explained and re-explained several times.
Yes attitude. So the thread has had it's share of sarcasm and rude comments. Take that up with those posters, not me. I am not the thread, I am one person at which you directed a snappy remark of how your "not repeating yourself". If you have a problem with the rudeness of the thread address the thread, if you have a issue with me address me. I didn't have a issue with you nor was I asking you to clarify anything. I made a comment, that's it. At the end of the day, none of this is THAT serious. This is a FORUM on DISNEY WORLD. This is not a Presidential debate, there are no rules other than the ones by DIS and common decency. If people don't want to participate then don't.
Ugh, seriously. It's just not that deep (however I wasn't rude to you, so don't be rude to me).

KellyNY:If you want to convince yourself that I was rude to you, I cannot help. That is your issue and you use this imaginary rudeness to show me attitude now. Whatever, really. And you are wrong, Dis has rules even if it is not President debate and yes this thread is ridiculous in terms of how people act but to stay here or not is up to everyone.

Do you read before you post or just post? I don't care, please stop talking to me because I am through addressing you. At this point hun, this conversation is over.
KellyNY, girl bye!
Commando Member #216
Lord, grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
courage to change the things I can;
and wisdom to know the difference.

Xclusive2WDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 11:35 PM   #934
Disney_Princess83
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huey View Post
888 posts for coffee and cookies? Read em all, very entertaining. It seems clear to me from all the information that there is going to be a big green and white Starbucks sign hanging over Main St ruining my photos of the castle.
Coffee and Cookies are the most important conversation people will ever have! Especially if it's Starbucks coffee and Nestle Toll House Cookies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by papertraveller View Post
Coke is one thing, the snooty elitism of Starbucks (or as we call it, FourBucks) is quite another.
The danger is overbranding, you don't want to sell Main Street. This is Americana, there is no vintage feel to FourBucks.
I can't tell if you're joking or not by saying the snooty elitism of Starbucks

I just don't get why people are have so much anger at a coffee brand! Given Nestle has so many human rights violations, then I could understand why people hated them. However I think with Starbucks (not you specifically) it's either jealously of a very successful business or perhaps a ridiculous idea of the brand (perhaps you've seen too many celebs running around with a Starbucks cup) At the end of the food all food and drink stores have fans and people who don't like it. IT'S A CUP OF COFFEE! Don't like it - don't buy it! Buy your McDonalds, Dunkin' Donuts, Nescafe, Joffreys or whatever else you drink

Quote:
Right, because Disney fanatics aren't snooty at all, and snobs in AMERICA? That's ludicrous!
So true!

Almost 6 Weeks at Disney.... it's Happened! October & November 2013! Trip Report and Food Review to Follow Soon

Starbucks has arrived at WDW! MK, EPCOT and soon the entire World!
Add me on Twitter: @OzGoofyPrincess
Disney_Princess83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 11:57 PM   #935
KellyNY
DIS Veteran

Quote:

KellyNY:If you want to convince yourself that I was rude to you, I cannot help. That is your issue and you use this imaginary rudeness to show me attitude now. Whatever, really. And you are wrong, Dis has rules even if it is not President debate and yes this thread is ridiculous in terms of how people act but to stay here or not is up to everyone.

Do you read before you post or just post? I don't care, please stop talking to me because I am through addressing you. At this point hun, this conversation is over.
KellyNY, girl bye!
Yes, I read and yes, this conversation is over, forgive me for not replying your PM but there is no need to say same thing twice. Have a good day!

DESPERADOS, AND LOVING IT !!!

HO HO HO
KellyNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 12:42 AM   #936
Cdn Friends of Pooh
Proud Redhead
We also were required to remove our shoes
ctober is our favorite time of year!!

Wow, with all the drama, nit-pickery, snarkiness and overall rudeness of the posts, I'm very surprised that the thread has gone on this long.

There seem to be two types of disagreements. There are those who understand the situation but feel their opinion is the only right one and everyone else who feels differently is wrong and needs to be belligerently corrected. Then there are those who do not understand the facts surrounding the situation and form an opinion based entirely upon emotion and completely refuse to see anything that conflicts with their preconceived notions. Pretty standard for the Disboards.

It's not the end of the world people ... everyone is entitled to their opinion - just because they disagree with you doesn't make their opinion wrong. A subjective opinion is neither right nor wrong.
Old 11-14-2012, 02:05 AM   #937
Ciorsdah
Mouseketeer

Perhaps a little perspective here. We have been lucky enough to visit WDW and experience MSB in its current form.

Many many people have not. Will they notice a difference? Will they care? Or will they just be as thrilled as we all were on our first trips??

If you don't like Starbucks, fine, I don't like coke but I'm not acting like the world is ending. You pay entry to the park, you don't have to drink the Starbucks!!!
Ciorsdah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 08:16 AM   #938
declansdad
DIS Dad#639
Still waiting for his first one

Quote:

KellyNY, girl bye!

Good luck!
ASM - March 2004 --- POP - July 2005 --- POP and the Poly - August 2007 --- CBR - Aug 2008 --- POFQ August 2009--- POP Christmas 2010--- POFQ Aug 2011 --- Disney Dream and MK March 2013 --- EPCOT F&G March 2013 --- Pop July 2013 --- AK March 2014

me dw (pooksma) ds
DIS Dads Club Member #639

Our WDW photos on Photobucket, Our WDW photos on Flickr

declansdad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 08:20 AM   #939
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

I can't function until I 've had Diet Coke, that's a brand too.

I usually have it back at the resort though.

Honestly, the interior of the bakery seriously needs refurbishing. quality of the food aside, it's not a thrilling place to sit and eat.
Old 11-14-2012, 08:21 AM   #940
CTDisneyfan816
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by siskaren View Post
Again, they are not replacing Main Street Bakery; they're selling Starbucks items in the Main Street Bakery.
Yup I know. Yeah I posted as such after.
Old 11-14-2012, 08:26 AM   #941
Burnedout
Proud mom of a marine recruit:)

So what if people like their Starbucks drinks? Is that any different than having a hissy fit over cinnamon rolls. I don't get Starbucks irl, but, yeah, I'm glassy eyed without some morning caffeine. Call me an addict if you like, but it is a small vice.

Lol, disney snobs are not a lot better than the Starbucks snobs.

It is what it is.
Burnedout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 08:46 AM   #942
WDSearcher
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmackeymouse View Post
I'd also like to add another perspective. I am not anti-branding, and I don't necessarily think Starbucks is evil. I am not a coffee drinker, and neither is anyone in my family, so take it for what it's worth.

For me it is about the "starbucks generation" or "starbucks culture" as I call it. There are some people, and by some people, I am including some of my closest relatives, whose lives revolve around getting their daily Starbucks. And, I think we have all been somewhere and seen large groups of people walking around like zombies with their Starbucks fix in their hands, and at least one of them says, in a monotone voice, "I just cannot function until I've had my macchiato."

Semi OT: the conversation when big city salespeople come to our small town office
Them: "Where's the nearest Starbucks?"
Me: "About an hour and a half away"
(Eyes get wide and jaw drops) Them: "Well where do you go for good coffee in this town?"
Me: (Completely serious) "Gas station"
They then look at me like we eat our own young and have two heads.

I am not trying to begrudge those who like or even love Starbucks. I have been there a handful of times. I can usually find something I like. But, I think of the sign that says, "Here you leave today, and enter a world of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy." As I said before, I am not against brand names at Disney. For me the whole "Starbucks culture" is not a part of yesterday, tomorrow, or fantasy (well maybe some people's fantasies)

That said, I figure the percentage of people that will stop for Starbucks will be relatively low, so I won't encounter many glassy eyed "gotta have my coffee" walking dead, and I will be there bright-eyed, bushy tailed, focused, and filled with hope, so I won't even notice any of it.
Can't the same, though, be said about DISers?

"Starbucks culture" is pretty much the same as "DIS culture". There's just a different mass-market product in the center.

WDSearcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 08:59 AM   #943
WedgieSock
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDSearcher View Post
Can't the same, though, be said about DISers?

"Starbucks culture" is pretty much the same as "DIS culture". There's just a different mass-market product in the center.

Nope. Not by a long shot. Starbucks followers are just regular people who like coffee. Disney followers are cultish and scare me
WedgieSock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 09:03 AM   #944
Burnedout
Proud mom of a marine recruit:)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WedgieSock

Nope. Not by a long shot. Starbucks followers are just regular people who like coffee. Disney followers are cultish and scare me
Lol, no kidding! I have a couple of friends who think I'm downright crazy when I start talking disney.

It is what it is.
Burnedout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 09:08 AM   #945
brunette8706
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate Jeff View Post
So you are now the thought police or better yet the board police? I guess we can not have our own opinions. I agree with Brunette, Starbucks coffee S U C K S!
Just saw this. Thanks Pirate.

Yeah, if anyone on this thread disagrees with two or three posters we are condemned for it. We can Not have our own opinion, because it is scrutinized with a microscope.

Personally, once again, I do not like Starbucks coffee and would much rather have the duncan donuts or McDonalds brand. These coffees taste so much better and are a fraction of the cost.

My other concern are the lines for Starbucks coffee. It usually takes 2-4 minutes for each customer to get their own customized cup, multiply that by hundreds of people that visit the Bakery at certain times of the day. Just a thought.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: