Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-13-2012, 10:55 PM   #10
LindyN
DIS Veteran

My kids go to a school system not much larger than yours and were doing high school work in 7th and 8th grade. The school brought in dual credit for HS with our state university, but left AP Calculus. Both of my kids will enter the state colleges with at least 21 credit hours (fully transferrable as it is not community college). They passed their high school graduate requirements by the time they were freshmen. In 7th grade they were doing more math than I ever got, and I have a bachelor's degree.

Son tested quite well for ACT, and not as well with SAT but still in the realm of great academic scholarships for college. He's very bright, and hasn't really cracked the books too much in HS. We didn't push the issue because he has done varsity sports and straight A's and great standardized test scores were enough for us.

Could he have done more? Yes. However he's well-adjusted socially and happy. We were fortunate to have teachers who enriched his schoolwork with some extra things, and I also had him work on some literature that I read in college. He's been reading newspapers and news magazines for years, and is really up on current events and politics.

There is a huge stretch to go from a rural community where you're the brightest to a larger system where you're just one of the smart ones. See what happens with the SAT and ACT test and then discuss it with the school system. I have smart kids who may be underchallenged in our rural school system, but they're kids. By the time they're 22 it won't really have mattered what they were reading in 7th grade.

Its great to have a bright child, but the thing is... she's still a kid. I'd explore some online academies and some colleges with free coursework (Yale has freebies to download.) If you truly want to enrich the child's learning, you'll be able to do it with the computer.
LindyN is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: