Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > The DIS Unplugged Podcast
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-13-2012, 12:43 PM   #1
Greenfield1984
DIS Veteran

Backlash Against The Backlash Against The Backlash

At first there was a backlash against the changes that Disney was making in its parks and company.

Now there appears to be a backlash against people who are vocal about their complaints and criticisms of Disney.

I would now like to start a new backlash against the backlash of the backlash...

What I'm really trying to say is that I'm getting increasingly frustrated with the threads that are complaining about people who are vocal about certain dissatisfactions with Disney.

Often these threads paint groups who complain about Disney as fanboys, Walt would roll over in his grave, and end of the world types.

While there are definitely people like that I would argue that, for the most part, these are people who are quite reasonable who are simply voicing their disapproval over certain issues.

Labels, like those previously mentioned, as well as statements that people should just get over it and get used to it are highly dismissive and kind of unfair.

I myself am okay with Be Our Guest restaurant serving alcohol and am also kind of adverse to the main street bakery being replace by Starbucks. Some of my reasoning for and against these changes are good, and some are bad.

I just don't like that people feel they can judge and dismiss people voicing their opinions without even knowing who these people are.

We don't all believe our vacations will be ruined over these changes and I for one voice my concerns with the hope that there are enough like minded people like myself also voicing their concerns and that Disney will notice and adjust accordingly. If not then that is ok too.

But please people be respectful of others choices. Listen, and if you disagree, then offer your counterarguments.

I find so many threads about such simple issues becoming super heated. We all have opinions lets all just be friendly when we disagree.

Please?
October 2009: POP with DD2
February 2009: AKL with DD 18mos
April 2007: ASMo HONEYMOON!
December 2005: Off site - Big Family Vacation
August 2000
Summer 1991
Fav rides:Carousel of Progress, Figment, Tower of Terror, Timekeeper (RIP), Nemo Musical
Fav Park: EPCOT
Greenfield1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 01:13 PM   #2
DisneyKevin
Kelvis
Above the Pearls Below the Crown

Such a tease!

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenfield1984 View Post
At first there was a backlash against the changes that Disney was making in its parks and company.

Now there appears to be a backlash against people who are vocal about their complaints and criticisms of Disney.

I would now like to start a new backlash against the backlash of the backlash...

What I'm really trying to say is that I'm getting increasingly frustrated with the threads that are complaining about people who are vocal about certain dissatisfactions with Disney.

Often these threads paint groups who complain about Disney as fanboys, Walt would roll over in his grave, and end of the world types.

While there are definitely people like that I would argue that, for the most part, these are people who are quite reasonable who are simply voicing their disapproval over certain issues.

Labels, like those previously mentioned, as well as statements that people should just get over it and get used to it are highly dismissive and kind of unfair.

I myself am okay with Be Our Guest restaurant serving alcohol and am also kind of adverse to the main street bakery being replace by Starbucks. Some of my reasoning for and against these changes are good, and some are bad.

I just don't like that people feel they can judge and dismiss people voicing their opinions without even knowing who these people are.

We don't all believe our vacations will be ruined over these changes and I for one voice my concerns with the hope that there are enough like minded people like myself also voicing their concerns and that Disney will notice and adjust accordingly. If not then that is ok too.

But please people be respectful of others choices. Listen, and if you disagree, then offer your counterarguments.

I find so many threads about such simple issues becoming super heated. We all have opinions lets all just be friendly when we disagree.

Please?
This is eloquently stated.

I appreciate the perspective.

I hope I have never been dismissive of someone else's opinion, even when I have disagreed with that opinion. Everyone is entitled to their opinion and they have the right to express it. That being said, no one (including me) has a right to voice their opinion uncontested.

I love a good conversation and relish the chance to enjoy the back and forth.

I do agree that being dismissive and name calling are unacceptable.

Everyone has that something that they feel strongly about.

I think my biggest disagreement is with folks that use the phrases "Walt is spinning in his grave" or "this isn't what Walt would have wanted". I think they are over used and out of date and as Walt isnt here to defend himself, it seems unfair to try define what he would have wanted 60 years later.

That being said, I'm still peeved that they replaced the original WDW font with the script now being used.
I'm still peeved that they replaced the original WDW font with the script now being used.
Old 11-13-2012, 06:04 PM   #3
disneydreamgirl
DIS Veteran

A thread where calmer heads are prevailing! I like it! We can all get emotional when the subject is one we care about...I appreciate you bringing things back into perspective. Thanks!
AKL-Oct'13:F&W & MNSSHP redo!
disneydreamgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 06:12 PM   #4
jnoble82
Mouseketeer

]
Old 11-13-2012, 07:23 PM   #5
GraceLuvsWDW
DIS Veteran

Thank you!! Well said. I completely agree!
WDW Pop Mar 2010 * WDW POFQ June 2010 * DLR Aug 2010
WDW WL & WBC June 2011 * DLR Dec 2011
WDW WBC June 2012
DCL Magic March 2013 * Currently Planning: WDW Beach Club/Swan August 2013
GraceLuvsWDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 07:51 PM   #6
WaltD4Me
PS...I tried asking for water cups once
I am actually a princess

Thank you OP...I was thinking similar things, but didn't put it into words. Lately it seems like if you voice your opinion against something and it isn't positive you are dismissed as a crazed "fanatic." I also enjoy the discussion, but have just been stepping away when the backlash against the backlash gets carried away.
Lisa 1980 Poly, 92' Grand Floridian, Oct 98 Teddy & Doll Convention, Dec 2004 POFQ, May 05 40th Birthday!, May 06 OKW 41st Birthday! May 07 OKW 42nd Birthday! Feb 08 Pirate & Princess Party! Oct. 08 at OKW! 1st Solo Trip May 09! / November 2010 at OKW, 2013 at WDW and Crusing on the Dream
WaltD4Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 09:44 PM   #7
AndyPok1
Back in MCO!
To answer the other question, getting along is boring
I like tacos

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyKevin View Post
This is eloquently stated.

I appreciate the perspective.

I think my biggest disagreement is with folks that use the phrases "Walt is spinning in his grave" or "this isn't what Walt would have wanted". I think they are over used and out of date and as Walt isnt here to defend himself, it seems unfair to try define what he would have wanted 60 years later.
Well said, both to the OP and Kevin.

My biggest problem is the existence of people making large assumptions and presenting them as fact, which often leads to the Walt is spinning in his grave comments.
AndyPok1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 10:01 PM   #8
Greenfield1984
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaltD4Me View Post
I also enjoy the discussion, but have just been stepping away when the backlash against the backlash gets carried away.
It's this stepping away that prompted me to write this thread.

Basically I see a topic that I'd like to voice my opinion on but as I start reading I start thinking "why so mean?" and decide not to put in my own opinion.

Not because I'm worried about getting "blasted" or "flamed" but because I start thinking whats the point. It's just going to degenerate into a lot of he said she said inconsequential nonsense.

However that's not always the case. There are a lot of like minded people on these boards that can bring a thread around.

At first the Main street bakery discussion was simply "I don't like this" and "Well too bad its happening". But if you really read through those threads you learn a little more. At first I thought that Starbucks was replacing the bakery totally , but now it seems as though either the baked goods will remain or simply be moved to new locations.

While I'm still not alright with this decision. I am, at least, a little less displeased.

And that's the result of productive input on these boards.

So thank you for that
October 2009: POP with DD2
February 2009: AKL with DD 18mos
April 2007: ASMo HONEYMOON!
December 2005: Off site - Big Family Vacation
August 2000
Summer 1991
Fav rides:Carousel of Progress, Figment, Tower of Terror, Timekeeper (RIP), Nemo Musical
Fav Park: EPCOT
Greenfield1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 11:44 PM   #9
AndyPok1
Back in MCO!
To answer the other question, getting along is boring
I like tacos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenfield1984 View Post
At first the Main street bakery discussion was simply "I don't like this" and "Well too bad its happening". But if you really read through those threads you learn a little more. At first I thought that Starbucks was replacing the bakery totally , but now it seems as though either the baked goods will remain or simply be moved to new locations.

While I'm still not alright with this decision. I am, at least, a little less displeased.

And that's the result of productive input on these boards.
Once again, well said. With your eloquence, you should never be afraid to post!

However, you hit my frustration on the head. Someone like you shouldn't have to read closely or make an effort to dig up an alternative viewpoint.
AndyPok1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 01:33 AM   #10
Justin Jett
I will do my Elvis impression at DAP, if Kevin will do a duet with me
I'm signed up and ready to go

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyPok1 View Post
Well said, both to the OP and Kevin.

My biggest problem is the existence of people making large assumptions and presenting them as fact, which often leads to the Walt is spinning in his grave comments.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: