Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-13-2012, 08:41 PM   #16
Jaya
DIS Veteran

If you're willing to move to Indianapolis, there is a high school there called Ben Davis University High School (part of Ben Davis High School) that allows students to graduate with an associate degree from Vincennes University. I'm sure there are many other schools that do that, but that's the only one I know.
Jaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 08:42 PM   #17
cntrygal
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iforgetmypassword View Post
On my days off, I lay around and do nothing. Sometimes, I do laundry, or cook. Maybe clean up around the house. Being a flight surgeon on a med flight helicopter never crossed my mind. I think I might start doing that.
mine either

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonniec View Post
*snort*
i had the same reaction

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southernmiss View Post
How far away is your nearest large public high school?

Would they offer more diversity for your DD?

Its over an hour away and not really the enviroment id want her in they actually have state police stationed in the school due to problems.

me
DS 22
DD 12

first trip Nov 2006 all stars music
cancelled trip nov 07 - long story
nov 08 - all stars music
Surprise BDay Trip Jan 11 - Pop
cntrygal is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-13-2012, 08:48 PM   #18
Southernmiss
I am hazed everyday

What does your DD think about her education? What does she think about moving?
Southernmiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 08:53 PM   #19
cntrygal
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by abdmom View Post
She should be taking the SSAT for admissions to high school.
the programs we are looking at want the SAT if she needs to take the SSAT we will

Quote:
Originally Posted by sookie View Post
Sometimes, I think it is important to let 11-year-olds act like 11-year-olds. Even if they are gifted.

Because if you don't do that, they can be socially awkward.

Pushing her to think about some of this stuff before it is time will be premature.

Moving might be difficult on her. She probably has friends and family she depends on. That probably helps her more academically than you realize.

A lot of schools will allow children to attend local community colleges for high school credit at the junior and senior level. This is widespread and very common. There is also AP credit - again, widespread and common.

I would look at local HS that allow them to attend local junior colleges for credit at the junior / senior years of high school, so that she can receive dual credit during 11th and 12th grade.

Pediatric cardiology is one specialty; trauma or general surgery is another. So a surgeon generally wouldn't practice in both of the settings you describe. You would probably pick one or the other. When she is much older maybe she could shadow some doctors to see what she would like - usually, towards the end of undergraduate school / college completion.
this is what she wants. she was the one who said she wants to move. Its just her and I. my only brother lives in florida. and my other child goes to college out of state and will be going to graduate inthe fall also out of state so there really is no one keeping us here.

me
DS 22
DD 12

nov 08 - all stars music
Old 11-13-2012, 08:57 PM   #20
cntrygal
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southernmiss View Post
What does your DD think about her education? What does she think about moving?
She's board in school its too easy for her. Moving was her idea. And as her parent I want to do what is best for her.

me
DS 22
DD 12

nov 08 - all stars music
Old 11-13-2012, 09:09 PM   #21
Hrhpd
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaya View Post
If you're willing to move to Indianapolis, there is a high school there called Ben Davis University High School (part of Ben Davis High School) that allows students to graduate with an associate degree from Vincennes University. I'm sure there are many other schools that do that, but that's the only one I know.
Several high schools in Colorado partner with the University of Colorado where they can take CU courses at their high school. They are the regular collegiate classes and show up on your CU transcript. The program is called CU Succeed.

Depending on the school (each school differs on how many classes they offer) many kids have started CU as a second semester sophomore or first semester junior after they graduate high school.

And each class is only $250, so you save a ton on those first 2 years of tuition.
Hrhpd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 09:14 PM   #22
Iforgetmypassword
"I am Mrs. Nesbit!!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by cntrygal View Post
She's board in school its too easy for her. Moving was her idea. And as her parent I want to do what is best for her.
Is she "board", or "bored"? Because, seriously, there's a difference.
Iforgetmypassword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 09:49 PM   #23
monsterkitty
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iforgetmypassword View Post
Is she "board", or "bored"? Because, seriously, there's a difference.
Seriously!

What exactly do you want in a school? One that challenges your DD or one that allows your DD to grow as a child while growing academically? Do you want her to be around only those kids who are at her "level", or do you want her to be around well-rounded kids?

While your DD may be "board" with school she still needs to be a kid. Look for a district that offers advanced classes for kids your DD's age. My district groups by age as well as ability, not traditional grade levels. In my district she would be with 11-14 year-olds who are at the same level as she is, but placed in the middle school. If she is truly at high school AP level in some subjects she would be in those classes we hold at the middle school.

Look for other districts that teach students at ability not grade level.
monsterkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 09:57 PM   #24
snarlingcoyote
I know people who live in really carpy school districts

I know of a kid who is in this category; as an example, she wanted to go to summer camp when she was in middle school and found out about a math camp where she could likely get a scholarship if she made a 30 on her ACT. So she studied her rear off and made a 35 the winter of her 8th grade year. (Yeah, she got her scholarship.)

One of the things she started doing is taking the MIT open courses - you can sort of "sit in" on MIT classes - the class lectures are on the internet along with the course guides and assignments; you just have to buy the textbook. I think they even offer some sort of certification now (they didn't when she started). You might Google that.
snarlingcoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 10:00 PM   #25
tar heel
Where will we get our news if we lose The Daily Show and Colbert Report?

I wouldn't snort about AP art. It's one of the hardest AP classes to get a good score in. Most of us, and that includes me and may very well include the OP's child, wouldn't have a prayer of success in that class. A lot of kids take the class but don't even do the portfolio b/c it's so time consuming and expensive, and there's definitely no guarantee of success.
tar heel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 10:02 PM   #26
clm10308
DIS Veteran

If you are looking at public school options, in Texas my kids attended Harmony charter schools for a while. Harmony does accelerate its GT students. There were 8th graders taking HE Geometry.

Also, Texas Connections Academy (online charter school) allowed kids to accelerate at their own pace (I had a 6 yr old in my 3rd grade class). They can place kids based on their own placement test. They also allowed kids to take a course (such as math) and move on to the next level course if they finished early such as taking only 3 months to finish a one year algebra course.
clm10308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 10:14 PM   #27
MariDisney
Learned a difficult lesson about eating chocolate in the dark!
Had to admit to eating bird poo to get what she wanted
Fully open=cool. Fully closed=cool. Half way=no can do

That's interesting about being a flight surgeon. I don't often hear about young girls planning careers in the military. I think it's awesome that she's thinking of serving the country at such a young age! We need more young people like her. Is she thinking about a particular branch of the military?
Mari...A Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow is Just a Dream Away...7/98 Carribean Beach ... 1/03 All Star Movies ...9/03 All Star Music ... 6/04 Port Orleans Riverside Honeymoon ... 1/05 Port Orleans French Quarter ... 1/06 Carribean Beach ...9/06 Pop Century ... 8/07 Port Orleans Riverside...9/08 Port Orleans French Quarter...9/09 Coronado Springs...9/11 Port Orleans Riverside
MariDisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 10:18 PM   #28
chryscrazy
Mouseketeer

Do you have any Montessori schools around?

Who taught her to read at age 2?
Old 11-13-2012, 10:21 PM   #29
Callie
Always Dreaming of Disney Magic

I've always been naturally gifted in learning, and got through school very easily with not much trying. I basically skipped much of 6th-8th grade, and then attended high school three hours a day for 3 years in high school and graduated a year early. I didn't have to move away, or take special courses, I just taught myself the work with a teacher being there if need be. Maybe something like that would work!
Old 11-13-2012, 10:46 PM   #30
cornflake
DIS Veteran

I think I'm missing something - why not just find the best high school for her, as she's in 8th grade?

You're upstate - NYC has no shortage of excellent high schools.

The SAT won't, as another poster noted, do any good for this. If you want it for like Duke's TIP or whatever, that's not going to help her get into high school.

High school she needs ISEE/SSAT, TACHS/HSPT, SHSAT or individual school's exams. However, you're kind of way late for this year for admission for next year, which would be her track. I think most all of the testing dates have passed or are close to passing, there may be some in December.

Hence... I don't know what you're looking for really? Any good private high school is going to want exam scores.
cornflake is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: