Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-13-2012, 02:23 PM   #1
rrali33tt
Mouseketeer

Tell me about Memorial Day Weekend!

What are the crowds like? I know school is still in session but would it be as crowded as the summer because it is a holiday weekend? Is it less/more crowded than other Holiday weekends (Presidents Day, 4th of july, Columbus day....I usually go COlumbus Day).

What is the weather like? Does it rain a lot in the end of May?

Compared to the end of June right when school would end, would you prefer to go then, or over Memorial Day weekend/week? (considering weather and crowds). I read online that June has the most rain over any month.

rrali33tt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 02:33 PM   #2
CocosMeme
DIS Veteran

We went Memorial Day on 2011 and it was fine. Crowds were not as bad as typical summer crowds. We had 12 of us and did just fine. It rained about 4 of our 7 days, but just your usual Disney short lived afternoon downpours. I would go again at that time. It was not really as hot as we thought it would be. Nights still cooled off so it was comfortable. Just have a "game plan" for touring and hit the best park for the day at park opening and you will be fine. I have found EasyWDW.com to be the VERY BEST at park calendar suggestions. I have also been over President's Day and will NEVER, NEVER, NEVER do that again.
CocosMeme is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-13-2012, 02:57 PM   #3
mousiemom
adam lambert lover!

honestly, memorial day week is the only summer months i will go. it's not bad at all, the weekend is a little busy but that following week is not. it's not the middle of the summer heat too. ours schools in south alabama get out then.

[]75-DL/80-WDW/97-WDW/99-DISNEYMOON-ASM/02-DD 1ST TRIP-ASM/04-ASM/05-POP/06-POP/1/07-POP/5/07-POR/8/07-SSR/12/07-POP/1/08-POP/6/08-DL-HOJO/9/08-POP/12/08-ASM/2/09-POP/5/09-POP/9/09-POP/12/09-POP/5/10-POP/12/10-POP/11/11-POPBC12/11-POP-11/12POP 4/13/POP-11/13Offsite-4/14/POP-11/14
mousiemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 03:20 PM   #4
tndisneyfan
DIS Veteran

I don't think it's bad at all. It's more like Columbus Day. Definitely not like the 4th or Christmas.
Old 11-13-2012, 04:14 PM   #5
gtpoohbear
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrali33tt
What are the crowds like? I know school is still in session but would it be as crowded as the summer because it is a holiday weekend? Is it less/more crowded than other Holiday weekends (Presidents Day, 4th of july, Columbus day....I usually go COlumbus Day).

What is the weather like? Does it rain a lot in the end of May?

Compared to the end of June right when school would end, would you prefer to go then, or over Memorial Day weekend/week? (considering weather and crowds). I read online that June has the most rain over any month.
Keep in mind that a lot of schools around the country actually do get out just before Memorial Day, so crowds will start to pick up then. We arrived on Memorial Day weekend in 2010 (b/c school had just ended the previous week), and honestly it wasn't that bad. The ME driver mentioned that arrivals in the last few days had gone up astronomically, but we didn't notice it starting to feel crazy busy until later in the week. We left the following Monday, and I thought the weekend after Memorial Day was far busier.

It will be hot and most likely rainy though- we've gone twice that time of year and had afternoon/ evening showers to contend with both times.

All Trip Reports & Photo Albums are located here!
Previous Trips: 2008: Poly, Hilton GVC | 2010: CBR | 2012: ASMo | 2013: YC | 2014: AKL, AoA
Upcoming Trips: Oct 2014: POR | Dec 2014 - WL | July 2015 - ASMusic | Nov 2015 - FW Campground
gtpoohbear is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 04:52 PM   #6
rrali33tt
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mousiemom View Post
honestly, memorial day week is the only summer months i will go. it's not bad at all, the weekend is a little busy but that following week is not. it's not the middle of the summer heat too. ours schools in south alabama get out then.
Up in NY/NJ schools do not end until the last week in June. I am curious about the southern schools...when does your school year start?

rrali33tt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 05:06 PM   #7
chocovrdmicears
DIS Veteran

We have been that week the past two years - going back again for the same week in 2013.

2011 - crowds were not bad at ALL - we skipped SWW @ DHS and MK on the actual holiday. The weather was PERFECT for us...90's, not super humid, rained a little bit here and there - only 1 afternoon while we were at AK did it rain all afternoon.
2012 - crowds were a little heavier and actually on the Sunday we left they were really bad in MK - We did get a bit more rain this time around - several days were really rainy - in fact we swam through DTD one day. BUT we decided to see what SWW was all about and we LOVED it.
2013: Back for round 3.
Old 11-13-2012, 05:07 PM   #8
gtpoohbear
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrali33tt View Post
Up in NY/NJ schools do not end until the last week in June. I am curious about the southern schools...when does your school year start?
We are in Colorado, but I also lived in the south for a long time (Tennesee, Georgia, and Florida), and they all have a very similar school schedule to ours. Schools start anywhere from the 1st through 3rd week in August, and get out either the 3rd or 4th week of May.

All Trip Reports & Photo Albums are located here!
Previous Trips: 2008: Poly, Hilton GVC | 2010: CBR | 2012: ASMo | 2013: YC | 2014: AKL, AoA
Upcoming Trips: Oct 2014: POR | Dec 2014 - WL | July 2015 - ASMusic | Nov 2015 - FW Campground
gtpoohbear is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 05:07 PM   #9
jimandami
DIS Veteran

Quote:
We live in Northern KY, which is technically the Midwest, but we usually start school around August 15 or 16 and get out around May 19 or so, depending on snow days.
jimandami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 05:15 PM   #10
Mfgs
Mouseketeer

We live in the Atlanta metro area (south Forsyth county). Our schools are out the Friday before Memorial Day. We have gone to WDW the week of Memorial Day multiple times. We don't do rope drop, we do get there pretty early and have never felt that the crowds were too crazy. It definitely gets busier around lunch time but we usually head back to our resort for a swim break.
Old 11-13-2012, 05:51 PM   #11
bigbabyblues
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I'm in Ohio, but our schools start the third week of August and let out the Friday before Memorial Day.
bigbabyblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 11:01 AM   #12
mommy2jack
Mouseketeer

We went to WDW this past Memorial day weekend. It did rain a lot. But overall we didn't feel like it was too over crowded. We also skipped SWW and MK on Memorial day. We went to DHS on Memorial day instead and had no issue with crowds.
We are planning to go back the same time this year. Only this time around we are probably going to go to SWW AND MK on Memorial day! So we'll see how the crowds really are!
Overall though I think it's a good time to go.

mommy2jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 11:33 AM   #13
ladybuglydia
Mouseketeer

We are going Memorial Day this year as well. I appreciate all the information from the others. We are in Northeast Georgia and our kids get out the Friday prior to Memorial Day. I'm going to be brave and do MK on Sunday, but we have 8:05 reservation at Crystal Palace so I'm hoping that helps our morning go smoother since we will already be in the park when the park opens. I plan to stay til after lunch then do one of the water parks for the afternoon and return to MK for the EMH's. Anyone do the water parks on Memorial Day weekend? Just wondering if they are more crowded.
ladybuglydia is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: