Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-12-2012, 04:55 PM   #16
BlakeandMaddysMomma
Mouseketeer

We are taking DCL transfer from the airport, does it also pick up that late?
BlakeandMaddysMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 05:14 PM   #17
kcashner
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeandMaddysMomma View Post
We are taking DCL transfer from the airport, does it also pick up that late?
DCL bus transportation from MCO to the terminal starts at 9:30 on cruise mornings and runs every 30 minutes or less (so you'll never wait more than 30 minutes). If the bus fills up in 15 minutes, it will depart and the next one will start filling; if it isn't full in 30 minutes, it will depart anyhow.

The last scheduled bus is like 2:30 or 3, but if people who booked air thru DCL are running late, they will send later buses.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-12-2012, 05:15 PM   #18
aan1701
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney Dreams

My above experience was in 2010.
I was picked up in Oct of 2010 at it was around noon. In Jan 2011 it was at 11:30. Interesting.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using DISBoards
DCL 14 Night Westbound Panama To my House. 5/14/05-5/28/05, DCL 11 Night Southern 9/17/06-9/28/06, 7 Night DCL Western 10/20/07, DCL 15 Night Westbound Panama to my house. 5/10/08-5/25/08, 7 Night to St. Croix for my Birthday 2/28/09, 7 night to the Western 10/17/09, Back to back on the Wonder 10/14/10 and 10/17/10, 15 night Panama Canal to Bring the Wonder to my home and her new Home 1/6/2011. 10/8/2011 Eastern on the Magic. 4/29/12 15 nights to Hawaii and back from my home in Los Angeles, 5/6/13 14 nights from Miami back to my home in Los Angeles via the Panama Canal, Premier Pass holder, DVC Member since 2008.
aan1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 05:28 PM   #19
papertraveller
DIS Veteran

How and when do they let you know which bus pickup time you have?
2009 WDW @ Poly;
2010 Aboard the Disney Magic (Eastern); August first trip home @ BLT; MNSSHP @ BLT; Marriott's Grande Vista;
2011 AKL Kidani; Vero Beach; Disney Magic (Western); BLT ; MNSSHP @ BLT; Marriott's Royal Palms;
2012 Beach Club Villas; Wilderness Lodge; Disney Magic (Eastern); Vero Beach; BLT; Marriott's Grande Vista;
2013 BLT; Disney Fantasy (Eastern); Wilderness Lodge; OKW-BLT; December Marriott's Cypress Harbor;
2014 OKW; Marriott's Lakeshore Reserve;
papertraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 06:29 PM   #20
jdb in AZ
It could end up curdled

Quote:
Originally Posted by papertraveller View Post
How and when do they let you know which bus pickup time you have?
If you're being picked up at a WDW hotel they'll give you a sheet of instructions in your room the day before your cruise. The luggage travels separately on a truck and is usually picked up around 8:15-8:30 a.m.

We were picked up at the Grand Floridian Jan 2011 about 11:30.
jdb in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 07:09 PM   #21
canadiancruisers
Mouseketeer

Is there a "usual" pickup time for the Polynesian? I'm wondering if it's usually at the beginning of the pickup loop or the end.
canadiancruisers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 12:14 AM   #22
jdb in AZ
It could end up curdled

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadiancruisers View Post
Is there a "usual" pickup time for the Polynesian? I'm wondering if it's usually at the beginning of the pickup loop or the end.
It depends on how many people are scheduled to be picked up at each resort. After we were picked at the Grand Floridian (around 11:30) the bus went to the Polynesian, then the Contempo -- turns out there were too many people there, so the driver had to call for an additional bus. Best-laid plans of Mickey Mice and men....
jdb in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 12:24 AM   #23
kcashner
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdb in AZ View Post
It depends on how many people are scheduled to be picked up at each resort. After we were picked at the Grand Floridian (around 11:30) the bus went to the Polynesian, then the Contempo -- turns out there were too many people there, so the driver had to call for an additional bus. Best-laid plans of Mickey Mice and men....
We were also the second stop when we were at the Poly with a 12:00 scheduled departure (be at the pick up area no later than 11:45).

Funny, I was also on a bus at Saratoga that ended up not having enough seats. Maybe I'm too cynical, but they had a list of names of people who had booked transfers. Can't they count the number of names and the number of seats??? I mean, I understand the time at MCO when they had to walk the aisles twice before they found the lady who had her purse occupying a seat (which explained why they were 1 seat short that time--and they told the lady that she had to hold her purse unless she wanted to pay for another seat), but I don't see how they can arrive at a resort and end up 8 seats short of what they needed.
Old 11-13-2012, 12:48 AM   #24
Lollipop's Mom
Special trip with your little one ~~ PRICELESS!

So if we wanted to get there earlier we 'could' take ME to mco at 830am, then hop a DCL bus to port at 930 I suppose?? Could work. Last time we went we used dcl bus from port Orleans and first bus filled and we waited a full hour for another. We got to port at 255pm and they RACED us on board. That put me off using them but from what I understood it was a rare thing that happened to us. There were about 30 of us on the bus from 4 diff resorts. Like we were leftovers. Missed lunch and got on board just in time for the drill pretty much.

Sept 2015 - Disney Wonder Hawaii
Sept 2014 - Caribbean Beach Resort
Dec 2013 - Disneyland
May 2013 -Disney Fantasy Western Caribbean
March 2013 -AKL Jambo Studio & AKL Jambo Concierge, & POR Princess Room
March 2012 -Disney Wonder Mexico
March 2012 - Disneyland
May 2011 - Disney Wonder Alaska
Apr 2010 - Disneyland
Jan 2010 -Disneyland
Jan 2009 - Disney Magic Western Caribbean
Jan 2009 - POFQ
Jan 2008 - POP
April 2007 - Disneyland
Sept 2000 - Disneyland
Jan 2000 -BWV Studio
Sept 1994 - All Star Sports
April 1977 -Contemporary

Lollipop's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 12:57 AM   #25
kcashner
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lollipop's Mom View Post
So if we wanted to get there earlier we 'could' take ME to mco at 830am, then hop a DCL bus to port at 930 I suppose?? Could work. Last time we went we used dcl bus from port Orleans and first bus filled and we waited a full hour for another. We got to port at 255pm and they RACED us on board. That put me off using them but from what I understood it was a rare thing that happened to us. There were about 30 of us on the bus from 4 diff resorts. Like we were leftovers. Missed lunch and got on board just in time for the drill pretty much.
Yes, you can take ME to MCO and then DCL transfers from MCO to PC. However, that is a LOT of effort. How many of you are there? The cost of a private limo service is about the same as the cost of DCL transfers for 3 1/2-4 people. Another option is a one way car rental--again, more effort than DCL transfers, but less hassle than the ME to MCO to PC routine.

The negatives to the DCL transfers from WDW are cost and the late arrival time.

As to them booking more people than they have seats on the bus--if enough of us have seen it once or more, it can't be all that rare! None of us could understand it when it happened at Saratoga. Counting seats vs. passengers on the list can't be that hard. The bus transportation to/from WDW seems (in my opinion) to be the weakest link in the system!
Old 11-13-2012, 06:58 AM   #26
tinkerbell 766
If I can't fly, let me sing. Or, in other words if I can't be in Disney, let me talk about it !
DLRP is quite simply my spiritual home

I am curious to know, apart from trying to secure reservations for Remy and Palo etc, what are the advantages of getting on the ship early?
We take our first DCL cruise in June -seven nights on the Fantasy, and have booked transfers from AKL where we will be spending the night before we board. We will not be booking Remy or Palo and are not hoping to upgrade at port or secure CC cabanas. Why would we need to rush to board?
Is it possible we would miss lunch if we use DCL transfers?
I am so confused, as I had been thinking that with seven days on the ship, it may be nice to have a leisurely breakfast at WDW and get the transport late morning. Am I wrong?

tinkerbell 766 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 07:45 AM   #27
luv2sleep
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkerbell 766
I am curious to know, apart from trying to secure reservations for Remy and Palo etc, what are the advantages of getting on the ship early?
We take our first DCL cruise in June -seven nights on the Fantasy, and have booked transfers from AKL where we will be spending the night before we board. We will not be booking Remy or Palo and are not hoping to upgrade at port or secure CC cabanas. Why would we need to rush to board?
Is it possible we would miss lunch if we use DCL transfers?
I am so confused, as I had been thinking that with seven days on the ship, it may be nice to have a leisurely breakfast at WDW and get the transport late morning. Am I wrong?
Wondered exactly the same thing. As long as I'm there in time for the muster drill I'm fine. I haven't made it to a lunch after boarding yet and we have been on the ship by noon. My son just wants to go straight to the pool and usually isn't even hungry until late afternoon. Neither am I. We've had early seating though and usually I pack a smack in my carryon bag, or get us a poolside snack. If we had late seating we'd just get a poolside snack to tie us over.

I plan on using DCL transport from the parks when sailing out of Port Canaveral. I don't plan on shy of the stuff you mentioned though either (Palo, cabana reservation, port upgrades, etc.). If I did I'd be concerned about arriving earlier.
Old 11-13-2012, 07:50 AM   #28
kcashner
DIS Veteran

If you don't want or need any reservations or tickets, you can get food until 3:30 from the fast food outlets or room service and there is little reason to be on board early other than starting your vacation. If you get there after 1:30, you can have immediate access to your cabin...not a bad thing.

However, if you want tickets to "Tea with whomever" or gingerbread house making or even some of the tastings, you may need to be either concierge or at GS sooner. We just see much of the embarkation day as a waste, so like to be on the ship and start vacation. If coming from WDW, a character breakfast that morning is a nice touch as it feels like a fun thing rather than "get up and wait for the bus....ride the bus...wait to get on....etc.
Old 11-13-2012, 08:53 AM   #29
tinkerbell 766
If I can't fly, let me sing. Or, in other words if I can't be in Disney, let me talk about it !
DLRP is quite simply my spiritual home

Thanks for all your help.
I think with us doing a 7 day cruise, we will have plenty of time to do all the things we wish to do and since we don't need to beat the crowds to book anything, we will just stick with our original plan and have breakfast at WDW and have a leisurely departure for the ship
Thanks again!!!

tinkerbell 766 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 12:40 PM   #30
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lollipop's Mom View Post
So if we wanted to get there earlier we 'could' take ME to mco at 830am, then hop a DCL bus to port at 930 I suppose??
You could indeed. Of course, if your bus got you there late (if there was an accident, etc) then you'd miss the DCL bus from the airport. So you would want to get there really early.

And if your'e going to do that, it starts to make more sense to just book that night's hotel at/near the airport and take a quick shuttle, or walk downstairs, to the DCL bus at the airport.

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: