Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-13-2012, 11:17 AM   #16
mikelan6
World Traveler, Usually Optimistic

Same exact thing happened to me. I booked in 2010 for a cruise December 2012. After I paid in full, they came out with VGT rates lower than what I paid for a category 9A. I called and expressed my feelings to DCL and got nothing.

Next time, I will book last minute like they are teaching us to do. Until DCL changes their policy, I won't be booking in advance.
Old 11-13-2012, 11:18 AM   #17
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TChrist05 View Post
Hello fellow cruisers....my DW and I need to vent a little. We are booked on the 12/1 sailing of the Fantasy. This cruise will be our 30th on DCL so obviously we are Platinum cruisers. We were origionally booked in a category 11 but last January I changed it to a category 9A but at that time their was no availability in that category so we had to take GTY. We finally received our room assignment last week and were assigned 7006 - which is all the way forward on the ship and a category 9D. Let me state that we have never gotten an upgrade on any of our cruises--not once. I spoke with DCL because we were assigned the 9D and we had a 9A GTY. Was told that they could assign any stateroom in a category 9, which I did not think was correct. I sent an e-mail to DCL guest reservations and received an e-mail back from Wilma stating the rules of GTY and if I wanted to upgrade I could at the port for an additional charge. In addition, I stated my opinion of how DCL has continually taken things away from the Platinum cruisers and how I feel that after all the cruises we have taken, not once have we ever gotten an upgrade. I responded back to her telling her I feel that when I read on our Disboards how people have cruised once or twice and then get an upgrade, what does that say to the people who have sailed many times with them. I received a call this morning from a supervisor on DCL who wanted to let me know how they value us and he has heard the same complaint from other Platinum cruisers but as a matter of policy DCL does not give our upgrades to anyone unless the room category they booked is not available. I chose not to have a debate with him on this policy although I suggested they look at it and maybe change it. My DW and I enjoy our experience on each and every cruise and I have always said I don't care where I sleep as long as we are on the ship. I just think that they should try to occasionally reward people who have sailed so many times--and I know their are many people who have sailed many more times than us. Obviously this is my opinion and I am sure so agree with me and some disagree--but even the supermarket rewards people who shop frequently with little bonuses.
Thanks for listening.
I agree with PP about who gets the upgrades, let them fall where they may.

BUT, if I had a 9A GTY booking and was assigned a 9D, I'd be really upset, also.

IMO, I think the CM you talked to about this was wrong. And I'd pursue it. Either an assignment to the proper category, or refunding the difference in the cost, or OBC equal to the difference would work for me.

13 Cruises, 8 ships, 124 nights
Panama Canal; Alaska; Med; WB Transatlantic; Mexican Riviera; Hawaii; Baja CA; Bahamas; Eastern/Western Caribbean

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008, 2014 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-13-2012, 11:18 AM   #18
over50visits
DIS Veteran

A couple of thoughts.

One is to never begrudge someone else getting a good deal. It happens, be happy for them. It isn't unfair if DCL chooses to do something special for someone and not someone else. It happens.

Second is that Disney's Castaway Club seems really weak. Early boarding? Whatever. Free dinner at Palo? A $15 dinner after 10 cruises and many thousands of dollars? Whatever. Early booking of excursions? My cruise experience isn't lessened because I don't get one of the overpriced rub a dolphin tours (granted many people happily pay for that). Different color lanyard? Huh?

Third, though, is that the real world is a bit different, and many people have come to expect perks and special treatment from business they frequent. Businesses recognize that and capitalize on that need for people to feel special by making them feel special. Disney, surprisingly, is not doing that very well. On our 50th visit to WDW we told the reservationist that was our occasion, thinking perhaps we'd get something (flowers in the room, desert at a restaurant, something) but nothing. We, of course, should not have expected something special, but we were surprised they didn't even seem to care. I've spent tens of thousand of dollars cruising, got everything I paid for, but Disney should make an attempt to recognize the general public's need for getting more than they paid for after spending so much hard earned money.

Disney is doing fine, and their parks are crowded and the ships are full. As a business, they don't need to increase their spending to reward loyal guests, or even things that don't cost them a penny (such as an upgraded room). But I think they should, out of common courtesy if nothing else. 30 cruises? Disney should bend over backwards to treat you with special consideration.
over50visits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 11:20 AM   #19
wiigirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildel1021 View Post
Well said
Indeed!
Old 11-13-2012, 11:23 AM   #20
CarolAnnC
Caught Smuggling Jello Shot Syringes From PI
Likes to shoot off her glock in chat
Goin' to the Chapel

Quote:
Originally Posted by TChrist05 View Post
Hello fellow cruisers....my DW and I need to vent a little. We are booked on the 12/1 sailing of the Fantasy. This cruise will be our 30th on DCL so obviously we are Platinum cruisers. We were origionally booked in a category 11 but last January I changed it to a category 9A but at that time their was no availability in that category so we had to take GTY. We finally received our room assignment last week and were assigned 7006 - which is all the way forward on the ship and a category 9D. Let me state that we have never gotten an upgrade on any of our cruises--not once. I spoke with DCL because we were assigned the 9D and we had a 9A GTY. Was told that they could assign any stateroom in a category 9, which I did not think was correct. I sent an e-mail to DCL guest reservations and received an e-mail back from Wilma stating the rules of GTY and if I wanted to upgrade I could at the port for an additional charge. In addition, I stated my opinion of how DCL has continually taken things away from the Platinum cruisers and how I feel that after all the cruises we have taken, not once have we ever gotten an upgrade. I responded back to her telling her I feel that when I read on our Disboards how people have cruised once or twice and then get an upgrade, what does that say to the people who have sailed many times with them. I received a call this morning from a supervisor on DCL who wanted to let me know how they value us and he has heard the same complaint from other Platinum cruisers but as a matter of policy DCL does not give our upgrades to anyone unless the room category they booked is not available. I chose not to have a debate with him on this policy although I suggested they look at it and maybe change it. My DW and I enjoy our experience on each and every cruise and I have always said I don't care where I sleep as long as we are on the ship. I just think that they should try to occasionally reward people who have sailed so many times--and I know their are many people who have sailed many more times than us. Obviously this is my opinion and I am sure so agree with me and some disagree--but even the supermarket rewards people who shop frequently with little bonuses.
Thanks for listening.
Did you book with a travel agent or DCL direct? Just wondering if you have spoken to the travel agent, if so?
Old 11-13-2012, 11:25 AM   #21
Timmbco
DIS Veteran

No way!

The issue here has nothing to do with Platinum status. It is outrageous that you booked a 9A guarantee and given a 9D. Not acceptable at all. This is not a matter of upgrading either. You just want what you booked.
I have stayed in that stateroom 7006 and didn't like it at all because the porthole has an obstructed view and that matters to me. ( It is a huge room and some people will love the space)
I would book a 9A because those rooms have awesome portholes but never a C or D.
Your complaint needs to be about your downgrade, not your status.
I have been on 12 Disney cruises and had several upgrades along the way but never expect one or feel I deserve one.

Also they told you they only upgrade if your type cabin is not available-that is not true.
Timmbco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 11:27 AM   #22
kcashner
DIS Veteran

I can understand the *gt rates being lower than what others have paid for regular bookings. The *GTs have restrictions which not all people will find acceptable. However, I too have a problem with those bookings being upgraded before "full fare" bookings. It just seems there is something amiss in the system. But then, I felt the same way about CM, TA, etc. rates.

DCL has downgraded the higher CC levels so much that I don't think it is worth doing an onboard booking unless I'm looking at something like a holiday cruise. If there is an "off season" cruise that I'm thinking about, I KNOW I can probably get a better deal with the *GT.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 12:00 PM   #23
castaway3
Second star to the right

There is no way if you booked a 9a can they give you a 9d...they are only allowed to go up from your original booked room...now if you just booked a gty. cat. 9 then you are at the luck of the draw. I just spoke to a CM at DCL about the same thing and they can only upgrade you UP not down. I would call back. Good luck.
Old 11-13-2012, 12:05 PM   #24
maria-fan-22
DIS Veteran

Are you 100% SURE that you booked at Category 9A GTY and not just a Category 9GTY? If you booked just a category 9 then they can put you in any category 9 room.

The upgrades are based upon when booking were don't and what rooms they would like to fill... You should NEVER expect an upgrade or feel entitled to one... they should be 100% surprise and pixie dust.

I would be sure to double check all of your documents before you call DCL again.

I'm on Twitter! @DCLdude

http://dcldude.webs.com/
maria-fan-22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 12:09 PM   #25
darkwing818
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessShmoo View Post
I agree with PP about who gets the upgrades, let them fall where they may.

BUT, if I had a 9A GTY booking and was assigned a 9D, I'd be really upset, also.

IMO, I think the CM you talked to about this was wrong. And I'd pursue it. Either an assignment to the proper category, or refunding the difference in the cost, or OBC equal to the difference would work for me.
Totally agree with this post. The OPs issue should not be clouded with "who or who doesn't get upgrades". This issue should have been directed to a supervisor while on the initial call. Only once, where I had an issue with DCL, that couldn't be resolved with a CM; I asked for a supervisor while on the call. When we talked, I explained my issue & we both worked it out (i was correct). If we had not resolved the issue, I would have asked for her manager. Rarely do I use E-mail for things like this. But I do take notes & names just in case. Hope it works out for the OP.
darkwing818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 12:19 PM   #26
MySecondHome
Never Grow Up !

I do agree with the opinion that the more cruises you attend the better the perks should be.
My next cruise I will turn Platinum (yay me)!

Regarding the type of room, I realized several cruises ago that I rarely spend any time in my room...and could care less if I have a view or balcony.

When I book I always choose what I jokingly call "the bilge" and make it GTY.
I have no idea why, but about 80% of the time I am upgraded. My last cruise in October was one of my "bilge-GTY" rooms and it turned into a verandah. Not sure why. This is a nice surprise, but personally I would love to see a discount on excursions or bigger discount with shopping!

Sent from my iPod touch using DISBoards

Wonder 04/2009...Wonder 11/2009...Wonder 12/2009...Wonder 10/2010...Dream 03/2011...Magic 10/2011...Magic 04/2012...Dream 09/2012...Dream 10/2012 Cruise #10 Jan 2013!!...Cruise #11 Oct 2013!!

MySecondHome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 12:28 PM   #27
lbgraves
Little Cinderella's Mommy
The bad news is...they are driving me nuts!!!

I have not read anything past your post, but I agree with you that if you paid for a 9A GTY that you should receive nothing less than a 9A. The cost of a 9D would have been less, so that makes no sense whatsoever. Do you happen to have the breakdown of the costs at the time you made your reservation? Checking the DCL site I only see 9Bs listed. The price now is likely more than what you would have paid, but this will show on your reservation if you go to change stateroom. What would probably make me grumble is the VGT rate, but that is something different. Too bad you would lose so much if you canceled at this point or you could switch to that.

Magic: E 11/15/2003, W 12/4/2004, E 12/10/2005, W DD w/ CM 12/9/2006, EBPC 8/2008, W 1/8/2011
Wonder: 3N 1/11/2010, Alaska 7/26/11
Fantasy: MV W w/ CM 3/31/2012, E w/ SJ 3/23/2013

DCL 2016 Opening Day Pricing Thread Pt 1: January - April
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #3 August - December
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #2 April - August

Past Opening Day Pricing Threads
lbgraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 12:32 PM   #28
WanderlustNZ
DIS Veteran

To book a 9A and get a 9D doesn't sound right and I'd be upset to. I hope they fix this for you.

For full disclosure I am a first time cruiser, but have requested no upgrade as I love the room I've booked. Personally, I like the fact that upgrades aren't dependent on how many cruises you have done. Everyone's circumstances are different, and for all we know a first time cruiser may have saved for years and years and gone without a lot just to afford one cruise. Likewise, regular Disney cruises might not be an option for some customers (myself included) if they need to spend thousands and thousands of dollars and hours and hours on a plane, just to get to the cruise in the first place. I like that these people have just as much chance of getting the pixie dust as someone in the privileged position of being able to afford to cruise 3 times a year.

In saying that, I do believe that loyalty should be rewarded. After 30+ cruises, I'd practically be expecting a free cruise (seriously). A downgrade after all that loyalty would certainly feel like a kick in the face. I hope a note has been added to your reservation and some special treatment is coming your way. :-)
WanderlustNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 01:24 PM   #29
MND
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlemieu1 View Post
Just a thought, Disney should invest a little bit more money in their customer loyality program. Speaking from the airline software industry, there are loyality programs that work for them. Now several European rail services are using the airline software system.

ps. I'm betting your reservation has a special note on it now, pixie dust might be coming.
And how healthy is the airline industry?

Mike

To the OP, I hope you enjoy your cruise.
MND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 01:34 PM   #30
Happy99
DIS Veteran

Question for the OP

Did you book the cruise before the category 9 rooms were re-categorized? If this was the case then maybe the 9D was what you originally booked and not the 9A that it was changed due to the re-categorization

Not sure when you booked but this could explain why you were given a 9D. If not I would keep fighting this by email and calling and keep escalating the call.
Happy99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: