Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 11-13-2012, 05:28 AM   #991
andrewilley
Port Orleans Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgarvey1 View Post
We booked a garden view room and the CM I worked with, noted on our reservation that we would like to be in bldg 85 and close to buses. Just checking to make sure this was a good request.
Sounds good to me. Alligator Bayou 16 or 17 would also be good choices, but 85 (Magnolia Terrace) is good for access to the pool, especially if you get the northern wing area. 80 (Acadian House) wouldn't be a bad choice either, but you'd need to ask for the southern end closest to the Ol Man Island bridge. See the map in the first post for more details.

Andre

For more info on the Port Orleans resorts, please visit www.portorleans.org
Now including a Trip Report forum - any comments on your POR/POFQ stays are welcome

Days Inn Lakeside: Apr/May 89 Disney's Wilderness Lodge: Feb 99Disney's Beach Club: Sep 07, Sep 09
Disney's Dixie Landings: Jul/Aug 95, Oct 96, Sep/Oct 97, Feb 99
Disney's Port Orleans Riverside: Sep/Oct 02, Jun 04, May/Jun 05, May 06, Oct 07, Aug 08, Aug 09, Feb 10, Halloween 10, Aug 11, Aug 12, Feb 13, Aug 13... and coming next, Aug 14
Old 11-13-2012, 08:25 AM   #992
Koz
Mouseketeer

Food at POR Gift Shop

Hey guys- I've gone back and haven't found anything definitive, so wonder if you can answer something for me.

We aren't "sit down and eat" breakfast people, instead, choosing to have a quick eat in the room and then make it to the park well before rope drop. I'm curious to see if the food selection on site is comparable to what we found @ CBR 2 years ago.

Specifically-
1) Gallon of Milk
2) Gallon of OJ
3) Box of donuts (full size) or muffins.

Are any/all of these available and if so, are the prices that much higher than what you'd find with Garden Grocer? I'm figuring out that everything else we need, i.e. water, juice boxes, snacks can be purchased and delivered by Walmart, so it's only the items listed above that really need to be addressed.

Thanks so much!
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-13-2012, 09:47 AM   #993
andrewilley
Port Orleans Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koz View Post
I'm curious to see if the food selection on site is comparable to what we found @ CBR 2 years ago.
Very similar, yes. Not sure about gallons of OJ, but you can get lots of other things - see the gallery pictures at www.portorleans.org/gallery-POR-Main.php for some ideas of what the shop sells.

Do remember that this is a hotel rather than a campsite or vacation property though, so they probably aren't expecting people to be stocking up on groceries for a home-away-from-home situation. And yes, anything you buy in the hotel shop will be a bit more expensive than from a supermarket.

Andre

For more info on the Port Orleans resorts, please visit www.portorleans.org
Now including a Trip Report forum - any comments on your POR/POFQ stays are welcome

Days Inn Lakeside: Apr/May 89 Disney's Wilderness Lodge: Feb 99Disney's Beach Club: Sep 07, Sep 09
Disney's Dixie Landings: Jul/Aug 95, Oct 96, Sep/Oct 97, Feb 99
Disney's Port Orleans Riverside: Sep/Oct 02, Jun 04, May/Jun 05, May 06, Oct 07, Aug 08, Aug 09, Feb 10, Halloween 10, Aug 11, Aug 12, Feb 13, Aug 13... and coming next, Aug 14
Old 11-13-2012, 09:49 AM   #994
FigmentChick
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy Z View Post
Is steak one of the items available for the POR CS make your own salad? At home I use leftover flank steak in our salads quite often. Could you tell me some of the other items available. I'd be especially interested in spinach, mushrooms, romaine lettuce, cheese and hard boiled eggs. I can't eat cucumbers, peppers, raw onions or tomatoes.

Today is our 90 day mark so I'm cheering
I believe all the items you mentioned are at the salad area. It seems familiar, but maybe one of our friends from the thread here can take a pic for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stTimeDisneyer View Post
I want to give a huge thanks to Venomhatch! We arrived on Sunday and with his advice and information we have a wonderful room. We also received some major pixie dust and were upgraded to preferred building 14. With has been wonderful so far. Thanks again!
Wonderful!!!!

Mar 2006 & Oct 2007 - off-site
Oct 2009 & Oct 2011 - POR, Oct 2013 - OKW
Old 11-13-2012, 09:59 AM   #995
mommy2jack
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koz View Post

Are any/all of these available and if so, are the prices that much higher than what you'd find with Garden Grocer? I'm figuring out that everything else we need, i.e. water, juice boxes, snacks can be purchased and delivered by Walmart, so it's only the items listed above that really need to be addressed.

Thanks so much!

I've heard of Garden Grocer and thought about using them when we go in May for ordering diapers and snacks. But I never thought to order from walmart... how do you do that? Just order from their website and put in the POR address? How do you estimate shippping time? We have never stayed on WDW property with kids before and we are not planning to have a rental car so I'm considering all options for delivering some of the basics for our trip to us. Thanks!
Me , DH , DS (6) , DD (3), (baby #3, arriving April '15)
Old 11-13-2012, 10:21 AM   #996
Koz
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewilley View Post
Very similar, yes. Not sure about gallons of OJ, but you can get lots of other things - see the gallery pictures at www.portorleans.org/gallery-POR-Main.php for some ideas of what the shop sells.

Do remember that this is a hotel rather than a campsite or vacation property though, so they probably aren't expecting people to be stocking up on groceries for a home-away-from-home situation. And yes, anything you buy in the hotel shop will be a bit more expensive than from a supermarket.

Andre
Thanks Andre- those are exactly the photos I was looking for.
Old 11-13-2012, 10:28 AM   #997
Koz
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy2jack View Post
I've heard of Garden Grocer and thought about using them when we go in May for ordering diapers and snacks. But I never thought to order from walmart... how do you do that? Just order from their website and put in the POR address? How do you estimate shippping time? We have never stayed on WDW property with kids before and we are not planning to have a rental car so I'm considering all options for delivering some of the basics for our trip to us. Thanks!
I've used Garden Grocer a few times and had great luck with them.

I haven't used walmart before, but have heard from others on here who have, that you simply need to give yourself enough time to order and that the hotel will hold whatever is delivered until you check in. The only bummer is that for things like Milk, OJ, fresh food etc, you can't order it online. Now seeing as how these items may be purchased at the hotel, it's a win-win to get Walmart to deliver the snacks, water, juice boxes etc. The delivery charge is very reasonable, and free if you're over $50-$75.
Old 11-13-2012, 10:29 AM   #998
JStiffler
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollygolitely93

Ha! 7am the restaurant opens or I have to catch a 7 am bus to get to parks at 8am. So...if the latter my next question...how often do buses run...every 20 minutes? If I catch a 7:20-7:30 bus what time will I get to MK... 8:30?
Not sure what time the restaurant opens, but you want to be at the bus stop by 7am. :-) We did this in Oct and it was perfect timing for us.
Old 11-13-2012, 10:56 AM   #999
Mary T in PA

Mouseketeer

Looking to try a Royal Guest Room...is there any special requests or anything I should ask for?

Also, are the boats to DtD pretty efficient? We will have a rental car, but was thinking of trying this as the boat ride just sounds so nice- sometimes we just enjoy riding around property. And did I read that the boat dock for POR is near Rainforest cafe?

We visit frequently to Disney but are new to the POR resort. Thanks in advance for any and help and advice!
Old 11-13-2012, 11:47 AM   #1000
Prose
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JStiffler View Post
Not sure what time the restaurant opens, but you want to be at the bus stop by 7am. :-) We did this in Oct and it was perfect timing for us.
The food court opens at 7, but the bakery opens at 6. They have cappuccino, espresso, cinnamon rolls, bagels, etc.
Disney Cruise on the WONDER March '08
WONDER cruise to Alaska June '11
Awesome trip to WDW October 2012 MNSSHP
Sailed the Eastern on the Fantasy 10/19/13
Sailed the Western on the Fantasy 10/11/14
Old 11-13-2012, 12:08 PM   #1001
Gorechick
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvlife View Post
O.k. you've got me now You helped me out the other day and now I see this post and it helped me again I didn't want to give up the garden view but at the same time we are also renting a car and I didn't want to be too far away from the parking lot You mentioned proximity to the elevators, which floor were you on? We usually request ground level but DH was wondering if we should get an upper floor due to the noise factor. Anyhow, sorry for rambling I guess I'm just getting so excited and I don't really have anyone to talk to since DH doesn't really get into the planning portion
We were on the 3rd floor right next to the elevators and stairwell. We did not hear any noise from the elevators or anyone walking by. It was a very convenient location. The pic under my username is my daughter looking over the garden and fountain at Parterre from the stairwell between the 2nd and 1st floor right downstairs from our room.
DTD-Courtyard by Marriott August 1997
Wilderness Lodge Honeymoon August 2002
Port Orleans- French Quarter Anniversary (AND Hurricane Charley) August 2004
Port Orleans- Riverside Royal Room- 10th Anniversary and First Trip with Twins August 2012
DS's WISH trip - Hopefully Aulani Resort! Summer 2015

Me (44) DH (40) DS (9) DD (9)

Waiting impatiently for our next family WDW trip!
Old 11-13-2012, 12:37 PM   #1002
Venomhatch
DisDads #708
Cast Member - Resort
It's a growing curiosity
I got carted off in the meat wagon

Location: Originally from Newport News, VA but Home is Kissimmee, FL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary T in PA View Post
Looking to try a Royal Guest Room...is there any special requests or anything I should ask for?

Also, are the boats to DtD pretty efficient? We will have a rental car, but was thinking of trying this as the boat ride just sounds so nice- sometimes we just enjoy riding around property. And did I read that the boat dock for POR is near Rainforest cafe?

We visit frequently to Disney but are new to the POR resort. Thanks in advance for any and help and advice!
I don't know about the requests about the room because we don't know of your room category like standard, garden, water and river views.

Yeah the boats come at regular intervals and frequent POR, POFQ and Rainforest Cafe docks. But from the rainforest docks you can take lagoon boats to other locations in DTD.
Old 11-13-2012, 12:41 PM   #1003
Missytara
I'm all ears!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary T in PA View Post

Yes; the water taxis run from 11 am to 4 pm every 20 minutes and every 10 minutes after 4 pm until 11 pm.

The boat dock is the Marketplace stop, which is right near RFC. It stops at POFQ both on the way to POR and back to DTD, so they won't always fill up the water taxi at POR. They will fill it at DTD, so you are never waiting very long. Especially after 4 pm. I think POFQ is absolutely beautiful at night.

I always like to end my day at a resort for dinner, take the DTD bus back from the resort to the hub. You can see the roof of the RFC from the bus hub, so you cannot get lost coming back; unless you want to get "lost" in the shops. I cannot resist going in the Christmas shop.

Also head over to Ghiradelli's for dessert.
Old 11-13-2012, 12:56 PM   #1004
NMDisneyFan
Earning My Ears

Since the boats don't start running until 11, what is the best way to make it to DTD by 10 am?
Old 11-13-2012, 01:08 PM   #1005
Venomhatch
DisDads #708
Cast Member - Resort
It's a growing curiosity
I got carted off in the meat wagon

Location: Originally from Newport News, VA but Home is Kissimmee, FL

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMDisneyFan View Post
Since the boats don't start running until 11, what is the best way to make it to DTD by 10 am?
Rental car, bus, or taxi. That I know of.
Closed Thread

Tags
faq, faqs, por, port orleans, port orleans riverside

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: