Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > The DIS Unplugged Podcast
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-09-2012, 09:07 AM   #1
incoo
Earning My Ears

Halifax Tour

Just started listening to podcasts and going through the shows,when I listened to the Halifax excursion segment.
What I found was how lightly the Halifax explosion was taken.When this happened 2000 people were killed including many school children,9000 were injured both by the explosion and resulting tsunamis.
I know being Canadian I might be more sensitive to remarks made about the explosion,but it was a significant moment of tragedy in our history.
The cannon you described showed how powerful the explosion was,imagine being close to the epicenter.
I don't mean to rant but something like this event should have been treated with more dignity than what it seemed like on the podcast.
Thank you.
Old 11-09-2012, 09:36 AM   #2
jcb
always emerging from hibernation

Quote:
Originally Posted by incoo View Post
Just started listening to podcasts and going through the shows,when I listened to the Halifax excursion segment.
What I found was how lightly the Halifax explosion was taken.When this happened 2000 people were killed including many school children,9000 were injured both by the explosion and resulting tsunamis.
I know being Canadian I might be more sensitive to remarks made about the explosion,but it was a significant moment of tragedy in our history.
The cannon you described showed how powerful the explosion was,imagine being close to the epicenter.
I don't mean to rant but something like this event should have been treated with more dignity than what it seemed like on the podcast.
Thank you.
I didn't get the impression anyone on the podcast made light of the explosion. There was some good-natured teasing of one of the Canadian travel agents about how the only thing that seems to have ever happened in Halifax was the explosion.
Old 11-10-2012, 07:59 AM   #3
Tinkershelly
DisneyWorld trip winner!
Holy moley, there are soooo many items!

There was quite a discussion about this and other points at the time the podcast was released. And you were not alone in thinking this.
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2976573

You should also go forward a few weeks in the podcasts and hear Kathy and Teresa's experiences with the first GKTW meet and check out this thread. http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2981624
Old 11-10-2012, 08:31 AM   #4
DisneyKevin
Kelvis
Above the Pearls Below the Crown

Such a tease!

DISboards Moderator

If you are familiar with our show, you should probably already be aware that we are not often "reverential".

We reviewed our tour and our guide.

This was not meant as a Canadian history lesson.
Old 11-13-2012, 11:00 AM   #5
appycat
appycat

I felt the podcast team was reviewing their experiences on the tour. I did not get the impression they were making light of the tragic event. After the show, I read up on the history of the explosion as I had never heard of it. My family ended up having a discussion about it and reflected on how terrible it must have been for the victims and their families. So, the review led to learning something and that's always good.
appycat is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: