Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-12-2012, 04:09 PM   #1
WardFam
Earning My Ears

Silly String?

I think I read in a TR that someone brought silly string for their kids for the sail-away party. My kids love silly string and I hate it - it just makes such a mess! I would love to let them use it at the party, but I don't want the CMs to hate us for having to clean it up and I don't want it to pollute the ocean if it was to get sprayed overboard? What do you think?
WardFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 04:13 PM   #2
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by WardFam View Post
I think I read in a TR that someone brought silly string for their kids for the sail-away party. My kids love silly string and I hate it - it just makes such a mess! I would love to let them use it at the party, but I don't want the CMs to hate us for having to clean it up and I don't want it to pollute the ocean if it was to get sprayed overboard? What do you think?
I would think it wouldn't be allowed. The mess involved (there will be lots of people at the sail away party who won't be happy to get caught up in it), as well as the possibility of it going overboard is quite high.

HAL Alaska 2009;2012;PC 2013Carnival Baja 2014
DCL Magic May 2008 Panama Canal WB, Sep 2010 Med/WB TransAtlantic,
DCL Wonder Oct & Dec 2011 Mexico, Oct 2012 Hawaii

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is online now   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-12-2012, 04:52 PM   #3
dthogue
BL II - Blue Team
DIS Veteran

Quote:
My kids love silly string and I hate it - it just makes such a mess!
I think you answered your own question - it makes a mess - leave the silly string at home!

dthogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 04:56 PM   #4
TXDCLfan
Other cruise lines did it first, Disney did it right!

Quote:
I believe that you know what the right thing to do is

TXDCLfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 05:43 PM   #5
WardFam
Earning My Ears

You are all correct I already knew the right thing to do. When I read it on the TR I thought it sounded crazy, but I didn't want my kids to be mad if it was something all the other kids had! Thanks for the quick responses!
WardFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 05:47 PM   #6
wdwwishes
DIS Veteran

I would think that those who didn't have it might wonder where it came from, want some, might be upset if they couldn't get it. Use it elsewhere for your own kick off for your cruise and get the excitement going early. Get some balloons involved some cute signs and you've got yourself a party. Take pics for the cruise scrapbook
A.K.L. 2008, 2011
Poly 2009
Wilderness Lodge 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014
The Wonder 2007, 2009, 2011
The Fantasy 2013
The Dream 2014
The Magic 2015
wdwwishes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 06:15 PM   #7
Four Bears
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdwwishes View Post
I would think that those who didn't have it might wonder where it came from, want some, might be upset if they couldn't get it. Use it elsewhere for your own kick off for your cruise and get the excitement going early. Get some balloons involved some cute signs and you've got yourself a party. Take pics for the cruise scrapbook
Except Balloons are prohibited as well on the ship

ETA: I just realized that you meant they should do this at home.

Disney Magic 2010 Eastern Caribbean
Disney Magic 2012 Western Caribbean
Disney Fantasy 2013 Western Caribbean
Counting down to Disney Fantasy Eastern Caribbean

Four Bears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 06:54 PM   #8
castaway3
Second star to the right

Quote:
I remember reading somewhere in the DCL rules that silly string and bubbles are prohibited
Old 11-12-2012, 07:22 PM   #9
kcashner
DIS Veteran

Bubbles are definitely prohibited. Years ago, lots of people brought them....but they make a mess on the deck, get spilled on other guests, etc.

I don't know for sure whether silly string is prohibited or not. However, it is a total nuisance and if not prohibited, it should be for exactly the same reasons as bubbles. It makes a horrible mess and is totally annoying to those not participating. In addition, it has a weird function of causing children to chase each other and the deck is way too crowded for that.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 08:25 PM   #10
luv2sleep
DIS Veteran

I can't see how it would be a good idea to bring such a messy item especially if you find it a pain to clean up. The CMs would too. If I brought it I'd expect to clean it up myself. What a mess that would be! No way I'd want to do that.
Old 11-12-2012, 08:31 PM   #11
sissy_ib
DIS Veteran

Quote:
You are all correct I already knew the right thing to do. When I read it on the TR I thought it sounded crazy, but I didn't want my kids to be mad if it was something all the other kids had! Thanks for the quick responses!
No one else will have it. I have never heard of anyone bringing it on-board before but more than that if you are at the pool deck party there will be nowhere to spray it but on other people. Or you will be spraying it on furniture, railings, overboard, etc.. I think it can cause stains as well. I'm glad you are not going to bring it because it is just a bad idea.
Old 11-12-2012, 08:31 PM   #12
Kenai1972
Earning My Ears

Not only is it extremely messy but the smell of it is horrible.. I personally would not bring it even if it were allowed.
Old 11-13-2012, 10:13 AM   #13
Zandy595
DIS Veteran
The other day I found a big honkin' frog in my toilet

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcashner View Post
Bubbles are definitely prohibited. Years ago, lots of people brought them....but they make a mess on the deck, get spilled on other guests, etc.

I don't know for sure whether silly string is prohibited or not. However, it is a total nuisance and if not prohibited, it should be for exactly the same reasons as bubbles. It makes a horrible mess and is totally annoying to those not participating. In addition, it has a weird function of causing children to chase each other and the deck is way too crowded for that.
I didn't know bubbles were prohibited. There was a girl in front of us at the Pirate Party who had a light up bubble gun. I assumed it was bought on the ship along with the light up swords.

Animal Kingdom Lodge Pop Century All Star Music All Star Movies Caribbean Beach DCL Wonder 2001 DCL Magic Eastern 2004 DCL Magic Western 2008 DCL Dream 2011, 2012, 2014
Zandy595 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 10:30 AM   #14
luv2sleep
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zandy595
I didn't know bubbles were prohibited. There was a girl in front of us at the Pirate Party who had a light up bubble gun. I assumed it was bought on the ship along with the light up swords.
The deck is slippery enough when there's just water on it. I've seen a few slip/falls and a couple with bad injuries because of it. I can't imagine why anyone would think bubbles would be a good idea. Surprised the cast members didn't ask them to put it away.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: