Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-12-2012, 04:09 PM   #1
WardFam
Earning My Ears
 
WardFam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: UT
Posts: 21

Silly String?

I think I read in a TR that someone brought silly string for their kids for the sail-away party. My kids love silly string and I hate it - it just makes such a mess! I would love to let them use it at the party, but I don't want the CMs to hate us for having to clean it up and I don't want it to pollute the ocean if it was to get sprayed overboard? What do you think?
WardFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 04:13 PM   #2
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran
 
PrincessShmoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: SoCal
Posts: 16,473

Quote:
Originally Posted by WardFam View Post
I think I read in a TR that someone brought silly string for their kids for the sail-away party. My kids love silly string and I hate it - it just makes such a mess! I would love to let them use it at the party, but I don't want the CMs to hate us for having to clean it up and I don't want it to pollute the ocean if it was to get sprayed overboard? What do you think?
I would think it wouldn't be allowed. The mess involved (there will be lots of people at the sail away party who won't be happy to get caught up in it), as well as the possibility of it going overboard is quite high.

__________________

HAL Alaska 2009;2012;PC 2013Carnival Baja 2014
DCL Magic May 2008 Panama Canal WB, Sep 2010 Med/WB TransAtlantic,
DCL Wonder Oct & Dec 2011 Mexico, Oct 2012 Hawaii

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is online now   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 11-12-2012, 04:52 PM   #3
dthogue
BL II - Blue Team
DIS Veteran
 
dthogue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Central PA
Posts: 2,635

Quote:
Originally Posted by WardFam View Post
My kids love silly string and I hate it - it just makes such a mess!
I think you answered your own question - it makes a mess - leave the silly string at home!
__________________
Tammy



dthogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 04:56 PM   #4
TXDCLfan
Other cruise lines did it first, Disney did it right!
 
TXDCLfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Highland Village Tx.
Posts: 1,465

Quote:
Originally Posted by WardFam View Post
I think I read in a TR that someone brought silly string for their kids for the sail-away party. My kids love silly string and I hate it - it just makes such a mess! I would love to let them use it at the party, but I don't want the CMs to hate us for having to clean it up and I don't want it to pollute the ocean if it was to get sprayed overboard? What do you think?
I believe that you know what the right thing to do is
__________________
12 DCL cruises 2002-2014
8 CCL cruises 2005-2012
7 WDW trips 1998-2005



TXDCLfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 05:43 PM   #5
WardFam
Earning My Ears
 
WardFam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: UT
Posts: 21

You are all correct I already knew the right thing to do. When I read it on the TR I thought it sounded crazy, but I didn't want my kids to be mad if it was something all the other kids had! Thanks for the quick responses!
WardFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 05:47 PM   #6
wdwwishes
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: the midwest
Posts: 638

I would think that those who didn't have it might wonder where it came from, want some, might be upset if they couldn't get it. Use it elsewhere for your own kick off for your cruise and get the excitement going early. Get some balloons involved some cute signs and you've got yourself a party. Take pics for the cruise scrapbook
__________________
Contemporary 2005
Yacht Club 2006, 2008, 2013,
Grand Floridian 2007, 2010, 2012
A.K.L. 2008, 2011
Poly 2009
Wilderness Lodge 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014
The Wonder 2007, 2009, 2011
The Fantasy 2013
The Dream 2014
The Magic 2015
wdwwishes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 06:15 PM   #7
Four Bears
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 236

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdwwishes View Post
I would think that those who didn't have it might wonder where it came from, want some, might be upset if they couldn't get it. Use it elsewhere for your own kick off for your cruise and get the excitement going early. Get some balloons involved some cute signs and you've got yourself a party. Take pics for the cruise scrapbook
Except Balloons are prohibited as well on the ship

ETA: I just realized that you meant they should do this at home.
__________________
Me DH DD6 & DD4

Disney Magic 2010 Eastern Caribbean
Disney Magic 2012 Western Caribbean
Disney Fantasy 2013 Western Caribbean
Counting down to Disney Fantasy Eastern Caribbean

Four Bears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 06:54 PM   #8
castaway3
Second star to the right
 
castaway3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Orlando Florida
Posts: 396

Quote:
Originally Posted by WardFam View Post
I think I read in a TR that someone brought silly string for their kids for the sail-away party. My kids love silly string and I hate it - it just makes such a mess! I would love to let them use it at the party, but I don't want the CMs to hate us for having to clean it up and I don't want it to pollute the ocean if it was to get sprayed overboard? What do you think?
I remember reading somewhere in the DCL rules that silly string and bubbles are prohibited
__________________
castaway3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 07:22 PM   #9
kcashner
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 33,275

Bubbles are definitely prohibited. Years ago, lots of people brought them....but they make a mess on the deck, get spilled on other guests, etc.

I don't know for sure whether silly string is prohibited or not. However, it is a total nuisance and if not prohibited, it should be for exactly the same reasons as bubbles. It makes a horrible mess and is totally annoying to those not participating. In addition, it has a weird function of causing children to chase each other and the deck is way too crowded for that.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 08:25 PM   #10
luv2sleep
DIS Veteran
 
luv2sleep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Southern California
Posts: 4,700

I can't see how it would be a good idea to bring such a messy item especially if you find it a pain to clean up. The CMs would too. If I brought it I'd expect to clean it up myself. What a mess that would be! No way I'd want to do that.
__________________
luv2sleep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 08:31 PM   #11
sissy_ib
DIS Veteran
 
sissy_ib's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 5,765

Quote:
Originally Posted by WardFam View Post
You are all correct I already knew the right thing to do. When I read it on the TR I thought it sounded crazy, but I didn't want my kids to be mad if it was something all the other kids had! Thanks for the quick responses!
No one else will have it. I have never heard of anyone bringing it on-board before but more than that if you are at the pool deck party there will be nowhere to spray it but on other people. Or you will be spraying it on furniture, railings, overboard, etc.. I think it can cause stains as well. I'm glad you are not going to bring it because it is just a bad idea.
__________________
sissy_ib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 08:31 PM   #12
Kenai1972
Earning My Ears
 
Kenai1972's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Way Out of Town Oregon
Posts: 35

Not only is it extremely messy but the smell of it is horrible.. I personally would not bring it even if it were allowed.
__________________
Melissa
Kenai1972 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 10:13 AM   #13
Zandy595
DIS Veteran
The other day I found a big honkin' frog in my toilet
 
Zandy595's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: SE FLORIDA
Posts: 10,520

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcashner View Post
Bubbles are definitely prohibited. Years ago, lots of people brought them....but they make a mess on the deck, get spilled on other guests, etc.

I don't know for sure whether silly string is prohibited or not. However, it is a total nuisance and if not prohibited, it should be for exactly the same reasons as bubbles. It makes a horrible mess and is totally annoying to those not participating. In addition, it has a weird function of causing children to chase each other and the deck is way too crowded for that.
I didn't know bubbles were prohibited. There was a girl in front of us at the Pirate Party who had a light up bubble gun. I assumed it was bought on the ship along with the light up swords.
__________________
Sandy Dream Menus

Animal Kingdom Lodge Pop Century All Star Music All Star Movies Caribbean Beach DCL Wonder 2001 DCL Magic Eastern 2004 DCL Magic Western 2008 DCL Dream 2011, 2012, 2014
Zandy595 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 10:30 AM   #14
luv2sleep
DIS Veteran
 
luv2sleep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Southern California
Posts: 4,700

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zandy595
I didn't know bubbles were prohibited. There was a girl in front of us at the Pirate Party who had a light up bubble gun. I assumed it was bought on the ship along with the light up swords.
The deck is slippery enough when there's just water on it. I've seen a few slip/falls and a couple with bad injuries because of it. I can't imagine why anyone would think bubbles would be a good idea. Surprised the cast members didn't ask them to put it away.
__________________
luv2sleep is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:34 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.