Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-12-2012, 05:47 PM   #16
Kimbo71
Mouseketeer

We're another family flying in the day before.

Kimbo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 07:58 PM   #17
darkwing818
DIS Veteran

For that time of the year, we'd schedule to arrive at least 1 day early, 2 days if our schedule would permit. You just never know what the weather will be like . For us arriving early cuts down on the potential stress . Enjoy your cruise, whichever you choose.
darkwing818 is online now   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-12-2012, 09:12 PM   #18
phoenixleigh
Mouseketeer

We are definitely leave Friday afternoon on February 8th. If I had someone to take my son to school I would be there Thursday.
Old 11-12-2012, 09:30 PM   #19
Nicki828
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixleigh View Post
We are arriving the day before are cruise on Friday. My DH thinks I am nuts that I wanted to arrive a day early. I told him that I wanted to be safe rather than sorry. I want to take the noon or 230pm flight out so there would be more options in case of cancellations. He wants to take the 730pm flight which is the last flight of the day. Opinions?
I would never arrive the day of a cruise in winter. The weather can be so unpredictable. We are taking our cruise in January and flying in the day before. The only way I would fly in the day of, is if I was flying from a southern state.

Disney Caribbean Beach Resort - Nov 2008
Nicki828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 09:52 PM   #20
ruadisneyfan2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumbershoot View Post
Yep. DS and I had a flight from Seattle down to Orange County, CA. (it was a flight booked on miles so this "flight" was actually 3 flights...SEA to Portland to San Francisco to Orange County) We walked in 2 hours before the flight, as we always strive to do, to find utter chaos.

There was "weather" on the east coast (note: this was in JULY) which had just obliterated the fleet. We were on United, which takes up a lot of room at Seatac and it's all we noticed, so I'm not sure if it was just United or all of them. Anyway, flights on the west, going only to the west, were completely messed up because the planes they needed could not get there. It was dreadful.

We are on a cruise Feb 7. We're flying on the 5th. This was originally done for my MIL's sake, because she hates what she considers to be "rushing". Now she's not going, but we're sticking with the flights because it just makes more sense. We *want* to stay at the MCO Hyatt, but at $242/night that's NOT happening. But there's the Ramada Suites right near by, which is under $100. Or if we go wild we'll just head to a Universal resort and play at Universal on the 6th. (still cheaper than the Hyatt for those dates) (helps that we have Universal APs)

I like starting a vacation gently, which means taking at least the day off before the flight. DH has been a slow adopter to this idea (especially because it's HIS days off that are being taken, LOL), but he's seeing the light.
JMHO, we love the Hyatt but if I were flying in 2 days prior, I wouldn't be staying there. It's very convenient for an evening/late night arrival but any arrival before 2 pm would leave my kids bored to death hanging out in the airport all day. I like the Universal idea.

FWIW, Mon -Thurs stays at the Hyatt are extremely high since this hotel is geared to business travelers at those times. Fri or Sat night stays are much less, like $169 with AAA rate or $129 for senior rate (if my parents cruise with us.)
Old 11-12-2012, 11:07 PM   #21
dismom73
It's an illness, I know!
Shares a special day with Disneyland!

I have been a flight attendant for 17 years and I can't tell you how many times I have worked flights where people have missed their cruise! I would NEVER recommend flying in the day of...even if its a short flight. Too many things can go wrong.
Old 11-12-2012, 11:57 PM   #22
klass3
Mouseketeer

I decided to definitely fly in the day before our cruise next June. We're flying in from the West coast. Day before is less stressful for us. Already have reservation at Hyatt MCO. Very convenient.
Old 11-13-2012, 01:33 AM   #23
kcashner
DIS Veteran

There are tons of hotels in the MCO area that are far less costly than staying at the Hyatt MCO. This hotel offers great convenience when flying in the evening before the cruise, but there really isn't much to do there. Your meal options are the places in the airport or the very overpriced Hyatt restaurants. And their breakfast is another $20 per person (yeah, food court at the airport then too!) They do offer a "buffet" with certain business codes, but it was a huge nothing--tea, coffee, icky bottled juice, and some "muffins." And a sign indicating the $20 "sumptuous breakfast."

Actually, one of my favorite places is the Hyatt Place NW which is 5 minutes from the airport, has a complimentary shuttle and a really good breakfast. Pool, free internet, fitness center, and a TGI Friday's in walking distance. Under $100 on most nights.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 08:48 AM   #24
phoenixleigh
Mouseketeer

I am staying there because I got a really good rate and for the convenience of the hotel. I am not to worried about the breakfast the first day. Not a big breakfast person. I will probably just have a granola bar while waiting for the bus. So it works for me :-)

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: