Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-30-2012, 09:26 PM   #91
Tif
Earning My Ears

Sounds similar to how TSMM is set up. That's a great help to know ahead of time! Thanks so much!
Tif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 09:28 PM   #92
Tif
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgtfox

Used wide-right on Sunday, Ocober 28th. Worked like a charm. We didn't even have to jostle for position and were in the fourth or fifth car of the day.
Nice! Thank you! We'll be in the park on Friday so hopefully we'll be that lucky too.
Tif is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-31-2012, 08:42 AM   #93
cwdefouw
DVC Member since 1999

Any suggestions for a non-EMH morning? We are staying at DGC next May and had planned to use the DGC entrance to DCA on a Tuesday, which is currently projected to be non-EMH. Any recent experiences from October may help give us an idea as the crowds should be similar to next May.

cwdefouw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 09:26 AM   #94
coaches24
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwdefouw View Post
Any suggestions for a non-EMH morning? We are staying at DGC next May and had planned to use the DGC entrance to DCA on a Tuesday, which is currently projected to be non-EMH. Any recent experiences from October may help give us an idea as the crowds should be similar to next May.
Yes thats my plan as well when we go in Jan.

I know with DL they let people into main street early and then you wait at the rope drop at the end of main street. Im thinking DCA does something similar. But do they just drop the rope, or do they walk you over on non EMH days as well?
Old 10-31-2012, 10:08 PM   #95
LuckyRabbit
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwdefouw View Post
We did DCA on a non-EE Thursday last week, but decided to do the fast pass line instead of doing wide right straight to the ride. It ended up being the right choice, as while we stood in the fast pass line waiting for rope drop a CM was walking the line warning us that the ride was down. So take it to heart when folks warn you that you could do wide right and not get on the ride any sooner than waiting any other time of the day. I ended up getting a fast pass at 9:01 am with a return time of 12:00. We came in the front entrance, we got there about 45 minutes before opening, stood in the 4 and 5 day pass line, only three families ahead of us. Our wait time in the fast pass return line was less than 10 minutes. We did single rider twice, and that was 20-25 each time.
LuckyRabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 02:17 PM   #96
Rhonna
DIS Veteran

On Monday, Nov. 5th at DCA EMH "wide-right" did NOT work for us at all!

RSR was not working first thing so they held us by Red. We were on the far right, waiting. When the CM's finally got the okay to let us into the queue one of the CM's (lead?) told the others to open the rope from the FAR LEFT SIDE! We had no time at all to change our position so we were behind a larger group of people.

This may be the only time they did this but just a heads up that it totally was "WIDE LEFT" on that morning!
Rhonna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 03:28 PM   #97
brockash
DIS Veteran

We did the wide right technique Friday morning (EMH, so 8:00 for us). It worked really well and we were in the 3rd car of the day. The whole trying to ride RSR is very iffy though at best. I really thought there was a good chance we still wouldn't be able to ride it Friday. Our first day (Tuesday) there were signs posted at opening that RSR wouldn't open until noon, so we didn't get to ride that day. I saw the next two days (Wed. & Thurs.) that RSR was down for most of the day, so it really does have A LOT of issues, and honestly seems pretty unacceptable to me. It is just so crazy that a theme park, especially Disney World, would have and operate a ride that is down soooo much.
Old 11-11-2012, 11:33 PM   #98
rdailey
Earning My Ears

We were there on 11/8 and the ride was not opening until noon. At about 11:45 we wandered through Radiator Springs and saw the rope in front of red and a relatively small crowd gathered at it waiting. I told my wife and son that we were headed "wide right".

It worked great, although I'm not sure which side they lowered the rope, we still had an easy time getting around the corner before most of the people in the front on left.

We managed to get on the ride in about 10 minutes of total wait time.

The next day, I was about the 10th person in the Fast Pass line at 8:30a. They opened it promptly at 9a and I was able to get my passes for a couple hours later.

I did notice throughout our 4-day stay the ride was shutdown or was held for mechanical issues several times. We felt very lucky...
rdailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 04:06 PM   #99
derncare
Mouseketeer

Help. We will be using the So Cal CityPass and visiting DCA on 12/27, a Thursday. We get one Magic Morning on our pass and planned to go into DL that morning for 1 hour (7am to 8am) and then head to DCA at 8am when it opens. When we do that, should we try the Wide Right technique and try to ride RSR right away or should we try to secure a FP instead? I assume there are no EMH at DCA that morning so we wouldn't be behind a large group at 8am. Am I right? Just not sure if we should try to ride or FP.

Wife to Derek
Mommy to David, 10
Mommy to Katey, 6
Living the Suburbian Life around Houston, Texas
derncare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 05:30 PM   #100
mysteriouspnai
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by derncare View Post
Help. We will be using the So Cal CityPass and visiting DCA on 12/27, a Thursday. We get one Magic Morning on our pass and planned to go into DL that morning for 1 hour (7am to 8am) and then head to DCA at 8am when it opens. When we do that, should we try the Wide Right technique and try to ride RSR right away or should we try to secure a FP instead? I assume there are no EMH at DCA that morning so we wouldn't be behind a large group at 8am. Am I right? Just not sure if we should try to ride or FP.
I would assume that due to Veteran's Day weekend, it was particularly crowded on Friday and Saturday mornings (11/9 and 11/10). The Esplanade was FULL of people and lines 30 minutes before the opening. If you have one MM and only one day to do RSR, I would suggest going for FPs since your chances of using wide right will be very slim. Wide right really only works at opening, not at any other time, so if you're not there a few minutes before eight, it may not be worth it for you.

DBF and I arrived at Esplanade at about 8:20 AM on Saturday, let into DCA about 8:45 or so. Used wide right, and was third in line for RSR. RSR broke down while we were in the car just about to get the green light from the final CM before the ride. Luckily the delay was only for about 15 min or so, and we were able to ride without a hitch. Except for the fact that our pictures didn't show up in the end :/
mysteriouspnai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 06:48 PM   #101
julieheyer
Crazy for the Mouse!

Quote:
Originally Posted by holcomb-mania View Post
Ok, so I'm planning strategy for our June 2013 trip. What I'm hearing is run Wide Right to get on early during EMH. If possible, get multiple rides or add in Luigi and/or Mater. Then go to the FP line a little before park opening instead of waiting in the FP line for an hour, to target a FP for a ride at night.

Would that work? Is it possible to "time" my entry into the FP line to get a nighttime FP?
Can someone clarify this? Does Wide-Right work during normal entry hours? I am not staying on property. If we get to the gates 45 min early should we do the FP line or the ride first, then the FP line? We'll be there early on Thursday, so I'm hoping the wide right will work for us

Sorry, I am trying to formulate my plan .

Past trips: Mar. 2013, Nov 2012, Oct. 2011, Mar. 2009, June 2006... Can't remember before that!
julieheyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 07:08 PM   #102
mysteriouspnai
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by julieheyer View Post
Can someone clarify this? Does Wide-Right work during normal entry hours? I am not staying on property. If we get to the gates 45 min early should we do the FP line or the ride first, then the FP line? We'll be there early on Thursday, so I'm hoping the wide right will work for us

Sorry, I am trying to formulate my plan .
If you're not staying on property, I would suggest wide-right on days that don't have early entry. This is so you have an equal chance at RSR with everyone. I definitely suggest doing ride first, than FP. FP tends to run out somewhere between an hour to 1 1/2 after park opens, so if you're one of the first in line for RSR, then it's worth it to get the FP immediately after. Depending on when you're going, 45 min should be a good time to get to the Esplanade, fast walk to end of Buena Vista Street where they'll hold you back, going as far right as possible, and hopefully being one of the first people on RSR. Just as long as the ride isn't shut down until noon or something of that sort
mysteriouspnai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 11:15 PM   #103
coaches24
DIS Veteran

Has anyone who didn't have EMH but got in right at regular park opening on an EMH day gone straight to RSR? What are the stand by and FP lines like on for off site guests on EMH days ?

we are going right after New Years and this will be our first trip since CL opened so CL will be a priority. But with no EMH because we are staying off site I want to figure out our best strategy. We want to hit Carsland early of course but dont know if we should go on a non EMH day or try our luck on an EMH day. There are two EMH days on our trip and if we go to DCA on the first non EMH day that will mean not using our DL MM until our last day of our trip.

Our days will be Wed-Sat (Costco 4 day PH). So Im thinking DL on Wed since CL is an EMH day.
CL on Thursday so we can do wide right and then hopefully get FP right after.
Fri- probably start at DL but will probably decide that on the trip.
Sat- DL MM.

We will likely PH atleast 2 of the 4 days so we will hit rides in both parks throughout but we want to have a CL strategy since it is a priority this trip.
Old 11-12-2012, 11:26 PM   #104
julieheyer
Crazy for the Mouse!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysteriouspnai

If you're not staying on property, I would suggest wide-right on days that don't have early entry. This is so you have an equal chance at RSR with everyone. I definitely suggest doing ride first, than FP. FP tends to run out somewhere between an hour to 1 1/2 after park opens, so if you're one of the first in line for RSR, then it's worth it to get the FP immediately after. Depending on when you're going, 45 min should be a good time to get to the Esplanade, fast walk to end of Buena Vista Street where they'll hold you back, going as far right as possible, and hopefully being one of the first people on RSR. Just as long as the ride isn't shut down until noon or something of that sort
Thank you!! I really appreciate your advice!! I really hope the ride isn't down Thursday. We'll be trying the Wide Right technique (non EMH day).

Thanks again!

Past trips: Mar. 2013, Nov 2012, Oct. 2011, Mar. 2009, June 2006... Can't remember before that!
julieheyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 02:55 AM   #105
sara123
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysteriouspnai

Hi. So sorry, but can you explain this. I've never visited DCA yet since Carsland has been built. I'm going in mid Dec. If you could specify a lil bi plz?? So CL is @ end of Buena Vista st, right? Wide right wld mean then going as far right as possible as cast members keep us from lining up right? I wld love to be able to tk ur advice with getting in line quickly. Thanx so much!!
sara123 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cars land, mm hour, rsr, wide right

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: