Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-12-2012, 09:25 PM   #31
butsy113
AKV Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess on the Run View Post
We do the 2 bdrm villas at Disney and only stay in 2 bdrm suites in any other hotel. I cannot imagine not having a bedroom to shove the kids in at their bedtime so that DH and I can unwind, have a glass of wine, he watches TV while I am hopelessly addicted to my laptop. It's all good and if we were crammed into a single room all together it wouldn't be a vacation for me. I didn't start off as a hotel snob, but I think I got that way somewhere along the way. We also don't like to touch when we sleep.
OMG I thought I was reading my own post. Having your own space allows everyone to unwind. This actually results in fewer break downs during the day. As a result momma is happy, so everyone is happy
Old 11-12-2012, 10:30 PM   #32
nolanboys
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by butsy113 View Post
OMG I thought I was reading my own post. Having your own space allows everyone to unwind. This actually results in fewer break downs during the day. As a result momma is happy, so everyone is happy
I totally agree. There's something so nice about unwinding after the kids have gone to bed and having coffee before the kids get up. Kids get their sleep and parents get their alone time.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-12-2012, 10:31 PM   #33
DanInMN
Mouseketeer

Look offsite at Bahama Bay resort. We have stayed there many times and it is great. They have large 2 and 3 bedroom condos at inexpensive rates, and the grounds are very nice.
Old 11-12-2012, 10:49 PM   #34
FantasiaMagic
DIS Veteran

Bed sharing never bothers me on vacation! If you can pay for the extra room I say go for it!

AKV Kidani August 2012 TR: http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2975354

FantasiaMagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 11:13 PM   #35
yankeepenny
YANKEE Sock Crocker

OP- your peace of mind and overall vacation sanity level is priceless-
I say get your own bed and then you will be an agreeable human the entire holiday.

believe me, I understand. (and MANY others here do, too.)
Old 11-13-2012, 12:26 AM   #36
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by princessallegra View Post
Thought of this pic when i read your response!
When the H happened, we got a King sized bed.

Then he said he was ready to sleep in his own bed, so we got him a Full and got us a Queen (we could never afford a proper King sized frame, and our mattress actually qualified to be returned to the store b/c it was defective, so it worked nicely), and then it turned out he wasn't quite as ready as he thought he was.

But we're good with bed-sharing at this point to *go* to sleep and in case of nightmares (we quite often wake up in a different bed than we started off in at home), and actually on vacation it's much more pleasant than it is at home anymore, because we tend to get a King, and he's *exhausted*, so it's all good.

We like a nice BIG room, or set of rooms, but we'll share sleeping space, no problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch_in_GA View Post
It seems that with two tweens and a teen, we're always heading in a hundred different directions all throughout the year. That's why I cherish the time when we're all socked away in a single room. Some of my best WDW memories are of my family blissfully catching those morning z's under my watchful gaze. Sure, the kids (and maybe even DW and I) will likely be fussing and fighting as we board the first bus, but having us all so close together reminds me just how blessed I am. I know that in the blink of an eye I'll be dancing at their wedding or bouncing a grandchild on my knee. A little extra noise (or some rather objectionable smells) is a small price to pay for having this type of togetherness.
Awwww, sniffle sniffle!

Despite my happiness and joy with sharing sleep with DH and DS (especially now that I wear earplugs and DH has a CPAP with a facemask that fits), even I have my limits!

DH wants us to visit his Korean relatives, and for years now I've been making sure that he slowly gets them used to the fact that we *will* be at a hotel, and that it is NOT to be taken as an insult! It's just two cultures colliding, and we'll all need to temper our reactions. I won't think they are yelling AT me, and they don't get to think I'm insulting them by not sleeping at their homes.

And, unlike my dad and stepmom, I truly hope that when DS is approaching 30 (let alone 40) I will NOT think it's OK for him to share a room, or worse, a bed, with one of us. My dad thought that a 2Q room in Anaheim was OK for him, his wife, his two nearly 30 year old sons, me (at 40), and my then 6 year old son. No no no! I had to become a mutineer, slipping away when he wasn't watching to get a room for me and DS. And I got yelled at, too, for doing it. Family togetherness is great, as long as you've EVER once lived AS a family. Which I haven't with my half brothers, so no, that wasn't happening, LOL.

It's just got to work for you, OP! OKW 2 bedroom villas are incredible, with tons of space!

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 04:46 AM   #37
married2mm
DIS Veteran

thanks for all the comments and advice.

it was more an observation though rather than a query for a potential booking.

there are 4 of us travelling; me, dh, dd(19) and ds(15)~ds is actually taller than any of us!

we love being on vacation together, and happily spend all day together.
however for living/sleeping arrangements we enjoy individual bedrooms, bathrooms and being the saddo i am, i like having laundry facilities and a kitchen.

initially on our trips, we stayed offsite in villas, then discovered the disney magic in a 2 bed villa at okw, then the following year-2 bed villa at ssr-both wonderful.

sadly though, the prices have risen dramatically and no longer viable for us.

so, we booked por and an offsite townhouse so we had the best of both worlds-space for us to spread out and emh,fd and free parking. the 2 properties together were still much cheaper than 2 bed villa at okw.

we enjoyed this arrangement, and have booked pofq and a townhouse, to do the same again next year.

Last edited by married2mm; 11-13-2012 at 04:47 AM. Reason: oops forgot, dd also talks in her sleep, ds grinds his teeth and kicks!
married2mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 04:47 AM   #38
fla4fun
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by married2mm View Post
maybe it's just my englishness?!
It think this could be part of it.

Here in the US, most hotels have two doubles or two queens, and that is what we are used to. I know when I went to the UK with my sister, we had trouble finding one room with two beds in it because most of them only had one double or one queen, and we prefer not to share a bed (but do prefer to share the room). So if you are used to getting two rooms in order to have two beds, it probably does seem a little strange when you come here and all the rooms have two beds.
fla4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 09:33 AM   #39
Missytara
I'm all ears!

We did three adults in a room at POR a few years ago, and switched of sharing one of the beds.

We also went on a cruise, but we had the two twins and then two upper bunks, so everyone had their own bed. We just had a hard time finding places to stow the luggage, until we realized the beds just have legs, so we shoved everything underneath.
Old 11-13-2012, 11:27 AM   #40
buzznina
DIS Veteran

Location: The White Sugar Beaches of the Florida Panhandle, Destin area. 7 hours away from the Magic Place.

Not only do we not mind it, we really enjoy all of us staying in the same room. OMG; I must be crazy wanting to spend my whole vacation with my children When at home we got work, homework, after school stuff, projects, so not a lot of time for real one on one time. So on vacation we enjoy being together all the time. We have had some great times when we put our 2 DD's down for the night in the hotel, we lay there and talk about the day we had and what we all liked the best. There have been many times someone would say something silly and all of us would start laughing. I am sorry but to me those are some great times we would have missed with having seperate rooms. Sleeping arrangements can change nightly, me and DW, or 1 DD with each of us or at times the all girl bed.

AKL-SV(2), POLY, GF(CL), CR, POFQ(3), POR(6)(RGR(2)), CSR(10), CBR, FW CABINS, BW, POP(3), ASMU(2), ASSP, ASMO and DLH
buzznina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 12:08 PM   #41
married2mm
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzznina View Post
Not only do we not mind it, we really enjoy all of us staying in the same room. OMG; I must be crazy wanting to spend my whole vacation with my children
not at all
When at home we got work, homework, after school stuff, projects, so not a lot of time for real one on one time. So on vacation we enjoy being together all the time. We have had some great times when we put our 2 DD's down for the night in the hotel, we lay there and talk about the day we had and what we all liked the best. There have been many times someone would say something silly and all of us would start laughing. I am sorry but to me those are some great times we would have missed with having seperate rooms. Sleeping arrangements can change nightly, me and DW, or 1 DD with each of us or at times the all girl bed.
no need to apologise-we are all different, that's what makes the world go round

so taking that into account, much as i love my children,i would not want to share a room with them for our whole vacation, nor would they want to.

when dd and ds were younger, our boiler broke down one winter,we all slept together for a few nights until it was fixed-our bodyheat was the only heat we had!
as buzznina previously said, some of our night time tales were hilarious, some were disney orientated, some were delightful childhood pure perspective takes on life.

going on vacation together is lovely, it is indeed totally precious-all sharing a room, beds and bathrooms is most certainly not, and as i posted earlier, not what we want to pay thousands of dollars for. we could go on holiday in europe instead, much cheaper, but that is not the experience we want to have.
married2mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 12:16 PM   #42
buzznina
DIS Veteran

Location: The White Sugar Beaches of the Florida Panhandle, Destin area. 7 hours away from the Magic Place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by married2mm View Post
no need to apologise-we are all different, that's what makes the world go round

so taking that into account, much as i love my children,i would not want to share a room with them for our whole vacation, nor would they want to.

when dd and ds were younger, our boiler broke down one winter,we all slept together for a few nights until it was fixed-our bodyheat was the only heat we had!
as buzznina previously said, some of our night time tales were hilarious, some were disney orientated, some were delightful childhood pure perspective takes on life. going on vacation together is lovely, it is indeed totally precious-all sharing a room, beds and bathrooms is most certainly not, and as i posted earlier, not what we want to pay thousands of dollars for. we could go on holiday in europe instead, much cheaper, but that is not the experience we want to have.
Those are really the best

AKL-SV(2), POLY, GF(CL), CR, POFQ(3), POR(6)(RGR(2)), CSR(10), CBR, FW CABINS, BW, POP(3), ASMU(2), ASSP, ASMO and DLH
buzznina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 12:24 PM   #43
Mousemommy1
DIS Veteran

We too are a family that does not mind being in a hotel room together or sharing beds.

Heck, when we are at home, you will typically find all four of us (+ the cat) using exactly 2 cushions of our huge wraparound sectional...

We're very close and don't mind a bit!

PAST TRIPS:
JUL 1985 OFFSITE • JUL 1989 OFFSITE • MAR 2000 ASMO • SEP 2000 ASMU • SEP 2002 ASSP • NOV 2009 POP • FEB 2011 CBR • JUL 2012 WL CL • APR 2013 YC CL • SEP 2013 POFQ • AUG 2014 BC CL
Mousemommy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 12:28 PM   #44
justakrazymom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHLtoMCO View Post
We absolutely don't mind sharing. I have gone on tons of trips together with my friends and/or family, Disney included. If there are 4 of us in a room and 2 people to each bed, we know it's a heck of a lot cheaper that way than getting 2 standard rooms just so everyone can have their own bed, especially in Disney. We are usually so exhausted from the parks that we collapse on the beds anyway and are asleep within minutes.

If anything, it's sharing the bathroom that can sometimes get frustrating!
This.. we had 2 rooms for 8 people last year and 7 this year. Both times my hubby and I and our 3 youngest all ended up in one room.. the kids takign turns sleeping on the floor. no one minded.. this coming trip it's just the 5 of us so we only have to have one room and I dont worry about the 5 of us in one room for 14 nights at all. We all spend a ton of time together anyway so it's just the norm for us.

homeschooling mom,Disney freak and more
DxL '99, CBR '00, Pop '11
BWI '12,POFQ '12 , PORS '13 ASSp 2015

The SuperFamily vs. Silverware , Felons and The Little Mermaid Sept 2013 TR Incomplete
justakrazymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 01:13 PM   #45
gtpoohbear
DIS Veteran

Depends on who we're talking about. Obviously I share a bed w/ DH, and don't really mind sharing with one or both kids if need be (though I will say we ALL sleep better when they each have their own bed).

But I definitely won't share with anyone else - not even a room, much less a bed! Drives my parents and extended family crazy when we go places with them, because they would all happily cram 10 people into a room to save money, and get all huffy when I insist on getting my own room for my family.

I can definitely the appeal of a villa-type set-up with multiple bedrooms. In fact, that's what we've started doing for our ski vacations. But once you do that, you can never "go back", so I'm afraid to even suggest it at Disney, b/c we certainly couldn't afford to make a habit of that!

All Trip Reports & Photo Albums are located here!
Previous Trips: 2008: Poly | 2010: CBR | 2012: ASMo | 2013: YC | 2014: AKL, AoA | 2014: POR
Upcoming Trips: 12/14 - WL | 7/15 - ASMusic | 11/15 - FW Campground
gtpoohbear is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: