Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-11-2012, 09:27 PM   #16
traveln4fun
Earning My Ears

Thanks for all of the reassurance. We just returned from the Pixar cruise and didn't care for Ensenada. I feel more secure now that I've read all of the posts, and I'm sure we will have a great time sight seeing.
traveln4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 10:15 PM   #17
jdb in AZ
It could end up curdled

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveln4fun View Post
Thanks for all of the reassurance. We just returned from the Pixar cruise and didn't care for Ensenada. I feel more secure now that I've read all of the posts, and I'm sure we will have a great time sight seeing.
The Mexican Riviera ports are so much nicer than Ensenada!
jdb in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-12-2012, 10:56 AM   #18
gunka
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveln4fun View Post
We have done the Pixar and the MR, with growing up in San Diego and spending time in Baja, we had no desire to leave the ship in Ensenada. But there was no way we were going to stay on the ship in Cabo and PV. We thoroughly enjoyed both and felt safe at all times. We took a private taxi to Las Caletas and used Water Taxi's in Cabo (Did not use Disney Adventures). Like a previous poster, we did not flash money and we always aware of our surroundings - but never felt unsafe.
Old 11-12-2012, 11:25 AM   #19
kindsoul73
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunka View Post
We have done the Pixar and the MR, with growing up in San Diego and spending time in Baja, we had no desire to leave the ship in Ensenada. But there was no way we were going to stay on the ship in Cabo and PV. We thoroughly enjoyed both and felt safe at all times. We took a private taxi to Las Caletas and used Water Taxi's in Cabo (Did not use Disney Adventures). Like a previous poster, we did not flash money and we always aware of our surroundings - but never felt unsafe.
Curious about the taxi to Las Caletas. How much was it? Were you able to do everything there? (Kid's Adventure area, etc?)

And, FWIW, I just got off MR cruise as well (second time on this cruise as a single parent w/ 2 small kids), felt totally safe adventuring out on my own.
Old 11-12-2012, 11:43 AM   #20
WardFam
Earning My Ears

We will also be on the MR cruise in two weeks and I am trying to decide if I should book las caletas in PV. Can you really take a taxi there? I thought you had to take the boat with the excursion. We have 3young kids and I don't really want to do an all inclusive resort because I figure we might as well stay on the ship if we do that. What else is there to do there with young kids (9, 6, 3)?
WardFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 11:59 AM   #21
gunka
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kindsoul73 View Post
Curious about the taxi to Las Caletas. How much was it? Were you able to do everything there? (Kid's Adventure area, etc?)

And, FWIW, I just got off MR cruise as well (second time on this cruise as a single parent w/ 2 small kids), felt totally safe adventuring out on my own.
We had two families - four adults, three kids. And I think we negotiated a rate of $100 for a van for the day. The van drove us to the beach at Las Caletas, we hung out there - in front of a beach front restaurant where they had chairs/loungers/umbrellas. We ate their food and had drinks and they took chair of us (separate bill from the taxi). From there we could swim/snorkel/play in the sand.
When we were finished the taxi/van was waiting for us and took us into PV shopping district - we looked around for about 1 hour and then he took us to the waterfront/boardwalk/shopping area and looked around there. He then returned us to the ship.
Old 11-12-2012, 01:57 PM   #22
pjacobi
DIS Veteran

U.S. State Department on Mexico

There are no U.S. State Department travel warnings for Cabo San Lucas(Mexican Riviera) or Cancun/Cozumel areas of Mexico. See:

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_p...w/tw_5665.html

You should review country specific information at:

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_p...s/cis_970.html

-Paul
pjacobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 03:20 PM   #23
kcashner
DIS Veteran

It was several years ago, but when we got off the ship at one of the MR ports, there were presumed soldiers there with large automatic type weapons. I'm almost certain these were people there to protect us or the port, but it freaked out my teen who just wanted to get back onto the ship...so we did.

I'm not saying the ports were or were not safe. We just followed the "go with your gut" theory and decided that if it didn't feel safe, we weren't going to go on.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 03:28 PM   #24
jmb910
Obsessed with anything Disney!

We went on the MR cruise this past March. For the PV day, we booked a day room at the Marriott. It had a pool and was right on the beach. We were able to take a taxi from the port to the hotel for pretty cheap.

Then in Cabo, we had originally booked an excursion through DCL for a beach day, but they cancelled it about 2 weeks before we sailed. So a friend of mine that we cruised with found this excursion:

http://www.cabosanlucastours.net/Medano-Beach-Club.htm

It was so wonderful. I would do it again in a heartbeat. They met us at the pier and then we took a water taxi to the resort. Lunch was provided and delicious, and then they took us back when we were ready. They even let the little kids steer the boat, which they all loved!

I did feel a little leery in PV, but Cabo felt like the Caribbean to me.
Disney Magic Repo Cruise San Juan to Port Canaveral: October 2014 / Disney Magic 7-Night Southern Caribbean: October 2014 / WDW: October 2014 / WDW: May 2014 / WDW: March/April 2014 / WDW: October 2013 / Disney Fantasy Eastern Caribbean: April 2013 / WDW: April 2013 / WDW: September/October 2012 / WDW: June 2012 / Disney Wonder Mexican Riviera: March/April 2012 / WDW: February/March 2012 / Disney Dream 4-Night: October 2011 / WDW: October 2011 / Aulani Resort: August 2011 / WDW: March 2011 / WDW: November 2010 / WDW: October 2010 / WDW: February 2010 / WDW: October/November 2009 / Disney Wonder 4-Night: October 2009 / WDW: May 2009 / DLR: December 2008 / WDW: October 2007 / Disney Magic Eastern Caribbean: April/May 2007 / Disney Wonder 4-Night: December 2006 / WDW: April 2006 / DLR: September 2005 / WDW: Too Many Times to Count 1999-2005

jmb910 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 04:50 PM   #25
ACDSNY

No freaking out allowed
Just flying by

Quote:
Originally Posted by kindsoul73 View Post
This link has some good info it's the same company DCL uses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WardFam View Post
We will also be on the MR cruise in two weeks and I am trying to decide if I should book las caletas in PV. Can you really take a taxi there? I thought you had to take the boat with the excursion. We have 3young kids and I don't really want to do an all inclusive resort because I figure we might as well stay on the ship if we do that. What else is there to do there with young kids (9, 6, 3)?
Las Caletas in PV in only accessible by boat. You cannot drive there or take a taxi. I think the previous posters are mistaken in the name of the place they took a taxi to.

This Kid Adventure was awesome and our grandson loved it.

D
isneyland - Too many to count! Last DL trip: May 2013 WDW - Nov 2011, Nov 2009, May 2007, Oct 2006, July 2006, Oct 2005, Oct 2003, Oct 2000
DCL - S. Caribbean Oct 2014 Magic, E. Caribbean Nov 2013 Fantasy, Mexican Riviera Mar 2012 Wonder, Bahamas B2B Nov 2011 Dream, Panama Canal Jan 2011 Wonder, Bahamas Nov 2009 Wonder
Princess - Panama Canal Jan 2014, Pacific Coast May 2006, Alaska Sep 2004, Mar 1999 Australia/New Zealand
Big Island - May 2013 Kauai - Jun 2014, Jan & Dec 2012, Feb 2010, Oct 2008 Maui - Jan & Nov 2012 Oahu Aulani - Jun 2014, Jan & Dec 2012
ACDSNY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 04:52 PM   #26
disneypoor
DH thinks I have a "thing" for Mickey!

DVC Gold Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Gold Membership

We went to Cabo in August and stayed for four days. We loved it and never felt scared! In fact, I left my camera in a taxi on accident and in about 45 minutes, the cab driver returned it to my hotel. We felt safe and walked around a lot. We will go back and take our kids next time. I was nervous before we left and did lots of reading to see if we should even go. In some of the stuff i read on Cabo, it said that if it was a city in the US, based on its number of crimes, it would be among the top ten safest cities in the US. Hope this helps!
Susan
11/06 Disneyland, 03/07 7 Night Eastern, 09/07 3 Nights on the
Wonder, 03/08 Cruise to the Hawaiian Islands, 11/08 DD on the Magic,
11/09 3 Nights on the Wonder and WDW, 07/10 Family Vacation to WDW,
02/11 3 Nights on the Dream, 06/11 Alaskan Cruise on the Wonder,
03/12 One Week in Maui, 07/26/12 Bay Lake Tower 1st DVC Stay,
03/16/13 5 Night DCL Western,
07/13 Villas at Grand California, 03/14 5 Night DCL Miami,
05/14 Bay Lake Tower, 08/15 1st trip to Aulani

Upcoming Trips: 03/15 Disney Wonder out of Miami, 07/15 Maui
Trip Reports: 06/06 Wonder, 03/07 Eastern, 06/11 Alaskan Cruise
disneypoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 06:33 PM   #27
gunka
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACDSNY View Post
This link has some good info it's the same company DCL uses.

Las Caletas in PV in only accessible by boat. You cannot drive there or take a taxi. I think the previous posters are mistaken in the name of the place they took a taxi to.

This Kid Adventure was awesome and our grandson loved it.
ACDSNY is correct, I was mistaken, we did not go to Las Caletas, we went to Mismaloya.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: