Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-09-2012, 12:55 PM   #31
AJA
DIS Veteran

LOVE your trip report with all the pics!

We're also in east TN and would love to take a trip to HHI, we have the points....just need the time! Your photo's are great, we really need to tear ourselves away from Orlando next fall.
AJA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 08:18 PM   #32
StitchIsOurHero
I was smart enough to marry a DH who does the laundry!
Dun-DUN! Has 8 Matthew McConaugheys at work!
The Rock, in his little man-bikini, is quite pretty!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy2mrb View Post
I think we ate there every Sunday for breakfast!
remember the mexican restaurant too...wow you are just taking me down memory road
love the photo of D in the pool! sure he had fun with that frog!
you are such a bad influence momma it is a cute photo though!!
Love that diner and the Mexican restaurant! So glad I could bring back good memories for you! D was alllllll about the pool and that frog! Yep, I am definitely a bad influence! I thought I was doing better though than the one who climbed all the way to the top (it should be noted that I might have done that if I hadn't been scared to death I would fall off! )

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJA View Post
LOVE your trip report with all the pics!

We're also in east TN and would love to take a trip to HHI, we have the points....just need the time! Your photo's are great, we really need to tear ourselves away from Orlando next fall.
Hi neighbor!! thanks for reading along! You should definitely do an HHI trip! I have an intense addiction to WDW, and I was afraid I would think we were "wasting a week" where we could've been at WDW, but I LOVED it!!

More updates coming tomorrow!
StitchIsOurHero is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-11-2012, 10:54 AM   #33
Simba's Mom
everything went to "H*** in a handbasket
Keep me off the high horses!
Suffers from theme park dyslexia

Loving your report, and we love HHI-only six more days til we're there! Did you get back to meet Shadow? She's a real sweetie. And did you ever get a wake-up call? They have had a neat wake-up call, unique to HHI, and I was hoping they still have it.
Old 11-11-2012, 11:35 AM   #34
StitchIsOurHero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simba's Mom View Post
Loving your report, and we love HHI-only six more days til we're there! Did you get back to meet Shadow? She's a real sweetie. And did you ever get a wake-up call? They have had a neat wake-up call, unique to HHI, and I was hoping they still have it.
Hi! Thanks for reading along!! 6 more days til HHI?? How wonderful!!! Yes, we did get to meet Shadow! That update should be coming soon! We didn't get a wakeup call. . .I will have to try that out next time!

Update coming below!!
Old 11-11-2012, 11:42 AM   #35
StitchIsOurHero

We had promised D that we would do something “super-fun” that night. So. . .we went to check out Disney’s Beach House. The resort itself is on the marsh, not on the beach. Disney, however, has its own private Beach House for resort guests only that IS on the beach. It has lots of amenities, including a heated pool. D was determined, though, that he was getting to the beach!

D posing beside the pool before setting off for the beach:

D was so excited to be back at the beach! We had told him that he could just play in the shallow water, and we would wait until the next morning to all go in the ocean. He didn’t care—he was ready to do whatever!

Some of my favorite pictures from the trip are in these:

This one is my VERY favorite from the entire trip:

To watch the joy on his face was something I hope I never forget!

After an hour or so on the beach, he was ready to go back to the room for the night—I think he thought it would be beach time sooner!

D’s footprints in the sand:

Relaxing before we went back to the room:

Old 11-11-2012, 11:51 AM   #36
mommy2mrb
Mama to a Princess - But I'm a Scrap Princess
But you wouldn't need the clothes if you had the hot man

well, I wouldn't of been able to get as far up the pole as you did

oh my, love the photo of D jumping, amazing shot! such a happy little guy!

mommy2mrb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 07:32 PM   #37
StitchIsOurHero

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy2mrb View Post
well, I wouldn't of been able to get as far up the pole as you did

oh my, love the photo of D jumping, amazing shot! such a happy little guy!
I had to jump to grab the pole!!

I was really happy with that pic, too! It's my favorite of my little man!!
Old 11-11-2012, 07:33 PM   #38
StitchIsOurHero

The next morning, I somehow woke up at 6 am again, so I enjoyed some time reading a book while they slept! I made muffins for breakfast, and then D was ready for the day!

HELLLLOOOOOO, Beach Morning!

We went down to the Beach House to check it out, and then we were on our way down to the beach!

Just as we got there, we were renting chairs, and we ran into my parents and their friends! Mom had just realized that she lost her cell phone, so they were searching for it! They never did find it, so our texting for the week was a little bit limited—hard for us!

D had so much fun building sand castles and “decorating” them with shells.

We had brought his dump truck with us, and I was so glad he did. He thought that was terrific too!

Of course, we also had to spend lots of time in the water!

Brian ended up losing his sunglasses in the ocean. He’s had these since 2007, so they’ve definitely made up for their cost, but he loved them. He was so sad to have lost them! Between Mom’s phone and Brian’s sunglasses, it was not a good day for our stuff!

We made it for two or three hours at the beach, and then we decided to make our way up to the Beach House!
Old 11-12-2012, 05:36 AM   #39
StitchIsOurHero

Ahhhh. . .the wonderful Beach House! The pool is heated, the people are fabulous, and everything is wonderful!

We swam for a while in the pool:

D quickly decided he loved this one more than the resort one, but any pool was fine with him!

We decided to eat lunch at Signals (the restaurant at the Beach House) , and by that time, we were all hungry!

D and I took pics outside while Brian got the food:

I had a salad with grilled chicken, Brian had a shrimp wrap, and D had chicken and fries in a sand bucket! We also split some cheese sticks, and BOY they were good!!!

After swimming and filling our bellies, we were ready to head back for a much-needed nap!

Just a note: we drove to the Beach House every time we went, but they DO have a shuttle bus. I saw lots of people taking advantage of that!
Old 11-12-2012, 12:35 PM   #40
dwelty
"God Bless 'em, let 'em pee"-Roy Disney

Enjoying your report. This is the exact week we plan on visiting next year. How was the weather, and how crowded was the resort?

dwelty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 06:12 PM   #41
StitchIsOurHero

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwelty View Post
Enjoying your report. This is the exact week we plan on visiting next year. How was the weather, and how crowded was the resort?
Thanks for reading along!! We had pretty good weather overall. It was chilly two days and also rained some on one of those, but the other days were great! The resort didn't seem crowded at all! There was never anyone at the beach house when we were there, and the resort pool was only busy (but not overly crowded) one day!

If you go that week in 2013, we will probably see you there!
Old 11-12-2012, 07:14 PM   #42
StitchIsOurHero

After a nap, we were ready to go out for the evening. I had seen on the Activities list that Shadow was out that afternoon, and I knew we would want to meet her. We got ready quickly, and set out for our evening!

We went to see Shadow first. D is allergic to dogs (if he has a lot of physical contact), so he didn’t actually pet her. I petted her for him with D saying, “pet her again, Mommy! Pet her again!” Then we sat him down to take pics. He enjoyed talking to her and to B’lou Crabbe (the guy with her). That is the most well-trained, well-behaved dog I’ve ever seen! She was beautiful!

After their visit was done, B’lou gave D a postcard from Shadow! He told D that Shadow COULD write, but she couldn’t spell, so he had to write for her! D thought that was so cool!

I wanted to take some pics around the resort, so I knew I’d need to bribe D (and Brian) to get them to do that before dinner! No problem! We went through the Main Lobby area, and as they do every afternoon, they had fresh cookies and lemonade! Once D figured this out, we had to go every afternoon!

D enjoying his cookie on the boardwalk:

The sugar rush helped my guys be ready for some picture-taking!

Looking back toward our room from the boardwalk:

Hidden Mickey:

I loved this DVC sign. . .how far are we from the different resorts??

D enjoyed running up and down the pier:

I thought the pier was beautiful. I was a little skeptical before this trip of whether I would like the marsh, but I loved everything about this area!

A little more “real”:

I love this one, too:

At this point, they were finally over my picture-taking, so we decided to go to dinner!

We were planning to go to Kingfisher, which is also in Shelter Cove, so we could walk. What I didn’t count on, though, was that they didn’t open until 5. It was about 4:30 by that point, so we decided to check out the stores in Shelter Cove.

D was fascinated by the map of the area, so he spent a lot of time showing me where we were on the map and where all we could go!

We played around there for a while, and then went to the restaurant. When you check in at the resort, they give you a list of restaurants that offer a discount to people staying at the Disney Resort. This restaurant was on there. That’s not why I picked it—we had heard it was good—but the discount wasn’t a bad plan either!

This was the restaurant that I was not thrilled with. Our food was just *fine*. Not bad, not good. Our waiter was not happy to be there, and he was very robotic. They also had a guy who came around and did little magic tricks and told jokes. That was ok, too, but it was all a little much.

When the waiter brought the bill, he hadn’t taken off the discount. I asked him if we still got the discount (I thought maybe the sheet was wrong). He said he would take off the 10%, and then he was gone forever. When he came back, he had taken $1 off of the bill. Now, I am not a math genius, but I’m thinking that was a little on the low side.

By that point, though, it was raining very hard, and I was just ready to get out of there. Brian actually ran back to the resort and got the car so D & I wouldn’t have to run back in the rain!

We came back in and relaxed for the rest of the night! Kingfisher wasn’t BAD, but I don’t think we would go back. We ended up having a good night, though!
Old 11-12-2012, 07:24 PM   #43
Tinks "SS"
DIS Veteran

Loving your trip report on the fabulous HHI. We have so fallen in love with it that it is now our all time favorite resort. We went down for a day and a half at the end of last week for our anniversary. It was nice but we didn't spend much time at resort like we have before. I really wanted to get out and explore the whole island. We still love it!! Did you happen to go to Roastfish and Cornbread? We went friday night and it was fabulous! My DH said they have the best fish tacos EVER. It will definetely be one we take our kids back to.

me (Leigh Anne), DH (Bart), DS 12, DS10
Tinks "SS" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 08:32 PM   #44
StitchIsOurHero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinks "SS" View Post
Loving your trip report on the fabulous HHI. We have so fallen in love with it that it is now our all time favorite resort. We went down for a day and a half at the end of last week for our anniversary. It was nice but we didn't spend much time at resort like we have before. I really wanted to get out and explore the whole island. We still love it!! Did you happen to go to Roastfish and Cornbread? We went friday night and it was fabulous! My DH said they have the best fish tacos EVER. It will definetely be one we take our kids back to.
Thanks for reading along!! I'm so glad someone else is in love that with that resort, too! We didn't try Roastfish and Cornbread this time, but I really want to! I didn't do a good job planning our meals this time because I wasn't really sure of anything in the area, but I am already compiling a list for 2013!!
Old 11-13-2012, 05:33 AM   #45
StitchIsOurHero

We had been watching the weather, and I knew that Monday and Tuesday would be colder days. We decided that since we couldn’t really swim on Monday, we would go to HarborTown.

D was geared up and ready—he knew he could play on the playground! I hadn’t really gotten to see the playground on the other day, so I was excited too!

We also walked around the area after our playground time:

After some fun playtime, we decided we needed to go to Salty Dog for lunch. I was so excited—I had never eaten at one before.

I couldn’t figure out what to order—it all looked so good! I ended up with a cup of she-crab soup and a chicken salad sandwich on a pretzel roll. It was YUMMY!!

Brian got a po’boy that was basically shrimp, peppers & onions with pimento cheese. It looked SO good!

D had (wait for it) chicken and fries! They were really good, though!

I loved every thing about this restaurant—the food, the service, the atmosphere! It was great! I could probably eat there every day!

D & Jake:

After we were STUFFED from lunch, we walked around on the pier for a while.

D loved all of the birds!

As we always do, we headed back in for some naptime!

After nap, D decided we needed to check out the playground at the resort. He wanted to ride his bike over there (it’s near the pool), so off we went.

He loved the playground with the slides and the steering wheel. He kept telling everyone that he was driving the bus, and that we were going to the Magic Kingdom!

The rain came back at that point, so the guys headed back to the room, and I went to visit Broad Creek Mercantile. I was plotting my later-in-the-week purchases!

I met up with them outside of our room, and they decided to check out the hammock.

Love this pic of my guys!!

Brian then decided we needed ice cream, so he went down and brought us Mickey bars. He also borrowed a movie for us from Broad Creek Mercantile! We ate dinner in the room from the groceries we had bought, and then D decided it was time for ice cream and trains!

D watching the movie:

Nothing better than a Mickey Bar and a little Chuggington!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: