Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Line Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-06-2012, 09:55 AM   #91
ukintheus
DIS Veteran

Saturday - Debarkation

We didnt have a great night of sleep, I guess it was because we knew that we needed to be up and ready to get off the ship.

There was a constant banging in our cabin...and I just couldn't get to sleep....at about midnight I was ready to call down to guest services to DEMAND to know what the HECK was going on I sat up...and then it finally dawned on me...it was the safe door swinging open and hitting the closet door. Boy am I glad I didnt make that call LOL .... that would have been super embarrassing.

So after figuring that out I got to sleep for a few hours. About 5:15 am the ship was rocking just a little back and forth and I figured we had to be getting close to the coast, sure enough as I looked outside I could see the coastline. I decided to go out onto the verandah and watch us arrive. We passed a dredger in the ship channel that was really noisy...

That was enough to wake Scott up and so he came out to join me... We both stood out and watched as we sailed into Galveston and docked.

As we arrived at the dock they shot the mooring line out and about scared the life out of me!! LOL

We decided to go back to bed for an hour as it was chilly and there really was no need to be actually up and about that early.

At about 7:30 am we heard them announce that anyone that was going to do the express walk off with their luggage needed to proceed to Rockin Bar D before they cleared customs. We didnt hear any of the other announcements but there were a couple.

We got ready and watched all the activity with loading and unloading the ship from our balcony...I could have stayed just to watch that as it was really interesting...

There were lots of semi trucks waiting to unload...

Luggage being taken off....

They had two dogs sniffing all the cargo that was about to be loaded...evidently there was a shortage of ladders....LOL

And a dead copier machine...plus lots of mini fridges were removed....

Before long it was the dreaded 8 am cut off.... and we left our stateroom.

We walked down to Parrot Cay for breakfast. The line to get off the ship went all the way back to almost the entrance of PC, and there was a line to get into PC so people were a little confused.

We chuckled at the amount of people who were still directionally challenged ... and were trying to head into PC to exit the ship.

The poor servers handing out hand wipes infront of PC would ask are you here for breakfast or trying to exit the ship and they would say were trying to get off!!! in a frustrated voice and continue to walk toward the closed doors of PC.

It kept us busy people watching while we waited for PC to open. Breakfast was fast....I didn't get any pics of the food...but I took this of the menu (for what it's worth - LOL).

We said goodbye to Oliver and Erwin one last time before it was time for us to head off the ship.

We swiped our KTTW card one more time and walked down the gangway with no problems at all. We decided to take the escalators as the line for the elevators was quite long. We think that a LOT of people kept their luggage with them and walked off with it. When you got to the bottom they were dividing you between people that wanted to use a porter and those that didnt. As the line that did was longer we said that we didnt....although with 6 pieces of luggage and 3 carry ones we probably could have used one ....but we managed. We found our luggage very quickly and loaded up so that we could wheel it all out through customs and immigration.

The walk to customs isnt that long and there was no line at all, we breezed through and went outside to stack our luggage and find a place for Mum to sit while Scott and I dashed across the street to pick up the car. It was busy, but not that bad outside the terminal and it was a short walk for us to get across to the parking garage. The golf cart was right there waiting for us and took us straight to our car. We drove back to the terminal and found a spot to load up. I would guess it took us about 10 minutes from the time we left Mum & Mo to when we were back to load up.

We squeezed all the bags in and made the drive back across Houston to Magnolia, thankfully with no traffic on a Saturday we were home by about 11:15 am.

We had a wonderful time . I made a few notes along the way of things that I thought of, so here they are...

Fantasy/Dream vs Magic: - I was really concerned that having sailed on both of the new ships within a few weeks of their inaugural sailings that we would find the Magic old and run down by comparison. I honestly did not feel that way at all. Here's what I loved about the Magic that is different from the new ships even though obviously the new ships are beautiful and updated with the latest conveniences and they don't have the amount of wear on them in general. Benefits of the Magic: Smaller...that alone is a major selling point to me...smaller and less crowded. Food...we though the quality of the food was slightly better. Servers... have WAY more time to interact with you...they didn't seem anywhere near as rushed. Character breakfast: You can't get it in the new ships. I wasn't disappointed in the Magic at all...in fact we have decided that we prefer the Classic ships over the Dream Class ships.

Room Cooler/Fridge: The fridge kept things a lot cooler than I remembered. I don't know if they have changed them from the last time we were on the Magic in 2010, but it did a good job of keeping our wine cold.

A/C: The AC was great and ours worked well. We were even chilly one night.

Bathroom: I thought both were in good condition - there was nothing that was noticeable that showed a deterioration in condition.

Cabin: Again, good condition. Some knocks on the furniture, but the bedspread was in good condition. The couch was a little hard - not the comfiest to sit on - but the fabric was in good shape. So was the carpet.

Verandah: This was the one area that I can say was showing signs of wear. It wasn't terrible, but there was a good amount of rust, and the plexiglass (or whatever it is) was spattered with paint. The wear didn't detract from our enjoyment out there at all. The ONLY thing that I could gripe about was the smoker 2 cabins down. I'm not a smoke-a-phobe by any means...it usually doesn't both me, but for some reason the smoke seems to draw down onto the other verandah's....all of us would have to disappear inside when they came out to smoke.

Cabin location: I was worried about the noise from being right outside the aft elevators, but we LOVED the location. So easy to get to the restaurants and to Topsiders....which I've been told by my sister I keep referring to as Cabana's in this report...apologies for that!

Onboard booking: I usually start to think about future cruise sales about half way through our trip...and then I get nervous at the end of the cruise that they have got it all completed. This time I did the OBB on the (I think) second day...and got all my paperwork delivered to the stateroom with confirmation etc early in the week. I had researched what I wanted ahead of time...I'll never leave it until later in the week again.

Debarkation morning elevators:: A tip for everyone if you need to use the elevator....go UP first...LOL You'll never get in one if you wait for an empty one to come down. We waited a long time...then finally figured out that if we took an EMPTY one going up....we'd at least be in one.

So....I think that's everything Thanks to everyone that has subbed along...and Happy Sailing to those that have their trip coming up!!

Jenny & Scott
2000-POFQ, 2005-FW, 2006-FW, 2008-FW, Feb 2009-CBR/POFQ, Sept 2009-ASM,2010 BWI/WL/AKL/DCL Magic Western, July 2011 BWI/DCL Dream, Nov 2011 FW/AKL, May 2012 GF/DCL Fantasy-Eastern/BWI, Oct 2012 DCL Magic-Western, Feb 2013 DCL Magic-Cozumel, Apr 2013 DCL Magic-CC/WDW/KW, Sept 2013 - DCL Wonder-Bahamas, Dec 2013 - DCL Wonder-NYE-Cozumel, March 2014 - DCL Magic-4 night, Patiently waiting for: Nov 2014-Dream, Nov 2015- DCL Wonder B2B-Western & Bahamas-Galveston, DCL Wonder 2015 NYE Cruise-Bahamas-Galveston

Last edited by ukintheus; 11-06-2012 at 12:45 PM.
ukintheus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 10:52 AM   #92
Ajojo
Mouseketeer

Thank you so much for this report. It seems a little sad to be over, but we will be on the Magic in a few days.

I had to laugh at your safe door incident. WHen I was on the Magic in 2010 for 2 nights I could really feel the rocking of the ship and my closet doors would roll back and forth and bang the walls. I finally put towels in the rack so the doors wouldnt move. I finally realized how to shut the doors correctly and I was so glad I did not complain
Ajojo is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-06-2012, 11:29 AM   #93
ukintheus
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajojo View Post
Thank you so much for this report. It seems a little sad to be over, but we will be on the Magic in a few days.

I had to laugh at your safe door incident. WHen I was on the Magic in 2010 for 2 nights I could really feel the rocking of the ship and my closet doors would roll back and forth and bang the walls. I finally put towels in the rack so the doors wouldnt move. I finally realized how to shut the doors correctly and I was so glad I did not complain
Have a wonderful time on your trip...I'm very jealous as I could do it all over again already!! Funny about your "noisy" cabin too Yes, I was so ready to make that call...and I am SO glad I didn't!!!

Jenny & Scott
2000-POFQ, 2005-FW, 2006-FW, 2008-FW, Feb 2009-CBR/POFQ, Sept 2009-ASM,2010 BWI/WL/AKL/DCL Magic Western, July 2011 BWI/DCL Dream, Nov 2011 FW/AKL, May 2012 GF/DCL Fantasy-Eastern/BWI, Oct 2012 DCL Magic-Western, Feb 2013 DCL Magic-Cozumel, Apr 2013 DCL Magic-CC/WDW/KW, Sept 2013 - DCL Wonder-Bahamas, Dec 2013 - DCL Wonder-NYE-Cozumel, March 2014 - DCL Magic-4 night, Patiently waiting for: Nov 2014-Dream, Nov 2015- DCL Wonder B2B-Western & Bahamas-Galveston, DCL Wonder 2015 NYE Cruise-Bahamas-Galveston
Old 11-06-2012, 11:47 AM   #94
Goofysrus
Mouseketeer

Sad to see your TR over. 😢Glad you had a wonderful trip and Thanks for letting us know how truly beautiful the Magic is! 🚢😎
Goofysrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 01:15 PM   #95
iloverags2
DIS Veteran

Too funny about the safe banging against the closet! Sounds like something I would do!

I so love the Til We Meet Again on the last evening...sooooo much better on the classic ships than on the Dream class. Much more interaction, and all around better show.

We are with you on the Magic class being our preferred ships...love the size, atmosphere, and overall better interaction with the crew.

Thanks for sharing your vacay with us!

iloverags2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 04:23 PM   #96
dsrose345
Earning My Ears

Thanks for sharing! I am so excited to go now!! Was before but reading your report has helped get me even more hyped!!! We are looking at 32 days until we sail......
dsrose345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 05:51 PM   #97
shaned
Mouseketeer

Mike and I found out the hardway about the elevators . I bet we waited 10 minutes for one. Finally some lady told us we would be better off taking one up and then ride it back down. A woman that was already on the elevator when we got on, I think got mad cause I asked her to switch spots so that she could get off without having to climb over Mike and I and 3 suitcases.
Dena

shaned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 11:26 AM   #98
ukintheus
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofysrus View Post
Sad to see your TR over. ��Glad you had a wonderful trip and Thanks for letting us know how truly beautiful the Magic is! ����
I am sad it is over too! It was fun to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iloverags2 View Post
Too funny about the safe banging against the closet! Sounds like something I would do!

I so love the Til We Meet Again on the last evening...sooooo much better on the classic ships than on the Dream class. Much more interaction, and all around better show.

We are with you on the Magic class being our preferred ships...love the size, atmosphere, and overall better interaction with the crew.

Thanks for sharing your vacay with us!
I know you love the classic ships...are you going to be able to get to the Wonder while she is in Miami??

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsrose345 View Post
Thanks for sharing! I am so excited to go now!! Was before but reading your report has helped get me even more hyped!!! We are looking at 32 days until we sail......
Have a great time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaned View Post
Mike and I found out the hardway about the elevators . I bet we waited 10 minutes for one. Finally some lady told us we would be better off taking one up and then ride it back down. A woman that was already on the elevator when we got on, I think got mad cause I asked her to switch spots so that she could get off without having to climb over Mike and I and 3 suitcases.
Dena
We waited for a while too. We only had rolling bags as we had put our luggage out the night before, but it only took 1 family with all their cases and those elevators were FULL!!

Jenny & Scott
Old 11-10-2012, 03:17 AM   #99
mandymouse
If It's Not A Bahama Mama Then I'm Not Interested
Can I put my Christmas Tree up yet ?

DISboards Moderator

What a great trip report Jenny, thanks for sharing

I love your pics, and I wish we had been there to share it with you again

Did you miss not being able to go to Remy or your favourite barman Leo ?

Thanks again, I hope it won't be too long before we're sailing together again

mandymouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 02:53 PM   #100
MrsKP
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukintheus View Post

We had a wonderful time . I made a few notes along the way of things that I thought of, so here they are...

Fantasy/Dream vs Magic: - I was really concerned that having sailed on both of the new ships within a few weeks of their inaugural sailings that we would find the Magic old and run down by comparison. I honestly did not feel that way at all. Here's what I loved about the Magic that is different from the new ships even though obviously the new ships are beautiful and updated with the latest conveniences and they don't have the amount of wear on them in general. Benefits of the Magic: Smaller...that alone is a major selling point to me...smaller and less crowded. Food...we though the quality of the food was slightly better. Servers... have WAY more time to interact with you...they didn't seem anywhere near as rushed. Character breakfast: You can't get it in the new ships. I wasn't disappointed in the Magic at all...in fact we have decided that we prefer the Classic ships over the Dream Class ships.

Room Cooler/Fridge: The fridge kept things a lot cooler than I remembered. I don't know if they have changed them from the last time we were on the Magic in 2010, but it did a good job of keeping our wine cold.

A/C: The AC was great and ours worked well. We were even chilly one night.

Bathroom: I thought both were in good condition - there was nothing that was noticeable that showed a deterioration in condition.

Cabin: Again, good condition. Some knocks on the furniture, but the bedspread was in good condition. The couch was a little hard - not the comfiest to sit on - but the fabric was in good shape. So was the carpet.

Verandah: This was the one area that I can say was showing signs of wear. It wasn't terrible, but there was a good amount of rust, and the plexiglass (or whatever it is) was spattered with paint. The wear didn't detract from our enjoyment out there at all. The ONLY thing that I could gripe about was the smoker 2 cabins down. I'm not a smoke-a-phobe by any means...it usually doesn't both me, but for some reason the smoke seems to draw down onto the other verandah's....all of us would have to disappear inside when they came out to smoke.

thanks for telling us about the Magic. Sailing her in he Med next year with some friends who are 1st time cruisers. I have been worried she would look tired & sad.

DH-Kevin Kerry DS-Jared (14) DD-Ellison (3)

Disney Wonder 2006
Disney Magic Mediterranean 2013

MrsKP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 11:05 AM   #101
ukintheus
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandymouse View Post
What a great trip report Jenny, thanks for sharing

I love your pics, and I wish we had been there to share it with you again

Did you miss not being able to go to Remy or your favourite barman Leo ?

Thanks again, I hope it won't be too long before we're sailing together again
We missed you both! And Scott REALLY missed Leo....there just wasn't anyone even close...and it really showed!

I wish you could come on the 8 nighter out of Galveston but I know that you have the Fantasy planned....and I don't blame you for sailing out of FL instead of TX.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsKP View Post
thanks for telling us about the Magic. Sailing her in he Med next year with some friends who are 1st time cruisers. I have been worried she would look tired & sad.
I don't think that she does. I think if you just have it in your mind that she's an older ship...then she meets all expectations. I have heard others than had issues with specific cabins with bathroom, furniture and water leak complaints...but we didn't encounter any of that.

Jenny & Scott
Old 11-12-2012, 11:55 AM   #102
panamaprincess
Workin' Mom

Best trip report ever

You did a great job with the report! I was wondering when lobster night was Thanks for the pictures and tips. Looks like you had a great time!
Mediterranean July 2007
Disney Dream 2010
Magic Galveston Thanksgiving 2012
Fantasy Western Caribbean June 2014

panamaprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 06:46 PM   #103
violetmonarch
Mouseketeer

Truly enjoyed reading this out loud to my daughter and showing her the pics, we are leaving on the Magic in Jan 2013 and are first-timers. This made us feel like we were actually there. Look forward to reading more from you!
violetmonarch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 08:56 AM   #104
ukintheus
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by panamaprincess View Post
You did a great job with the report! I was wondering when lobster night was Thanks for the pictures and tips. Looks like you had a great time!
Thank you Glad to help out with lobster night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by violetmonarch View Post
Truly enjoyed reading this out loud to my daughter and showing her the pics, we are leaving on the Magic in Jan 2013 and are first-timers. This made us feel like we were actually there. Look forward to reading more from you!
So glad that you and your daughter enjoyed it. I know you have to be looking forward to January - I hope you have a great time!

Jenny & Scott
Old 11-23-2012, 01:21 AM   #105
DnA2010
Mouseketeer

Really enjoyed your TR! Great photos! Especially loved your character breakfast photos- the Goofy one was great, also your Mom looks so happy in the Minnie one! Her haircut was very nice!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: