Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > The DIS Unplugged Podcast
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-10-2012, 05:39 PM   #1
eeyorethegreat
DIS Veteran

Donation Centers in L I?

My son is running at a race in East Meadow Long Island next weekend. We questioned the USATF association as to if the meet will be held given that there has been so much damage to Long Island after Sandy and we were assured that the area where the meet is being held was not heavily damaged. At this point we are planning on continuing with our plans to attend the meet. This is the last year he is eligible and he is aiming to go to the National meet in Albuquerque in December. To do that he needs to attend the meet in LI. I know that there are still a lot of needs in the area and I was wondering if there was a place that is still accepting donations (clothing, non perishable food or other necessity items). We feel like since we are going to be there for the day anyway, we would like to do something to help the people still in need there. Anyone know a specific organization we could contact about this in the area? Thanks
Old 11-10-2012, 07:20 PM   #2
TSWJan78
DIS Veteran

DISboards Approved Advertiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by eeyorethegreat
My son is running at a race in East Meadow Long Island next weekend. We questioned the USATF association as to if the meet will be held given that there has been so much damage to Long Island after Sandy and we were assured that the area where the meet is being held was not heavily damaged. At this point we are planning on continuing with our plans to attend the meet. This is the last year he is eligible and he is aiming to go to the National meet in Albuquerque in December. To do that he needs to attend the meet in LI. I know that there are still a lot of needs in the area and I was wondering if there was a place that is still accepting donations (clothing, non perishable food or other necessity items). We feel like since we are going to be there for the day anyway, we would like to do something to help the people still in need there. Anyone know a specific organization we could contact about this in the area? Thanks
That is so nice of you. A friend of mine is on the East Longmeadow FD. I am forwarding to him and will let you know what he says.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
Old 11-11-2012, 02:23 PM   #3
kimisabella
I wonder if he/she is coming on the cruise with us
Yes, I am. ;)

I didn't want to approach him as he would have thought I was some sort of weird stalker

That is very thoughtful of you. East Meadow is central Nassau County. The areas that got hit the hardest was the South Shore of Nassau County, and parts of Queens. I know for sure St. Frances de Sales Church in Belle Harbor, Queens is accepting donations. There is basically nothing open there, no stores, gas stations, etc., so they need everything, food included. That area, which is the Rockaways section of Queens was hit the hardest with 100's of homes that were destroyed by fire or water. You could also try dropping donations at any Fire Department if you feel uncomfortable traveling in an area you aren't familiar with.

Edited to add;
Just found out there is a donation site in Hicksville, which is the town next to East Meadow
The location is:

Westy Self Storage
65 West John Street
Hicksville, NY 11801

hours are
8-6 weekdays
9-6 Saturdays
11-4 Sundays
toll free: 855-417-1284

Last edited by kimisabella; 11-11-2012 at 04:36 PM.
kimisabella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 09:19 AM   #4
eeyorethegreat
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimisabella View Post
That is very thoughtful of you. East Meadow is central Nassau County. The areas that got hit the hardest was the South Shore of Nassau County, and parts of Queens. I know for sure St. Frances de Sales Church in Belle Harbor, Queens is accepting donations. There is basically nothing open there, no stores, gas stations, etc., so they need everything, food included. That area, which is the Rockaways section of Queens was hit the hardest with 100's of homes that were destroyed by fire or water. You could also try dropping donations at any Fire Department if you feel uncomfortable traveling in an area you aren't familiar with.

Edited to add;
Just found out there is a donation site in Hicksville, which is the town next to East Meadow
The location is:

Westy Self Storage
65 West John Street
Hicksville, NY 11801

hours are
8-6 weekdays
9-6 Saturdays
11-4 Sundays
toll free: 855-417-1284
Thanks I will try to make contact with these places to see if we can set up a time or to find out if there is a specific time we could drop items off!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: