Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-10-2012, 08:27 PM   #16
LauraluvsDisney2
Earning My Ears

This is truly awesome!! I got all tears eyed reading this, hopefully things will progress even more for him.
This gives me hope for a magical trip when we go in feb, my youngest is autistic and was not quite sure how he would do.

LauraluvsDisney2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 10:39 AM   #17
ttintagel
DIS Veteran

So exciting!
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-11-2012, 02:59 PM   #18
kathleendsm
Mouseketeer

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

Upcoming:
February 2014: Princess Half at AKL!

2013 - BLT, AKL, Dream, POR * 2012 - BLT, BWV * 2011 - AKV, BWV * 2010 - BWV * 2003 - Offsite * 2000 - Offsite * 1999 - WL * 1995 - Dixie Landings (POR) * 1992 - CBR * 1987 - CR * 1984 - CR *1980 - CR
kathleendsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 08:05 PM   #19
CaliKT
Mouseketeer

Aw, that's absolutely fantastic!
Old 11-11-2012, 08:19 PM   #20
J.C.&ALI'SMOM
I really had to bite my tongue on that one
Wondering how we could get our moonshine on the plane

Thank you for posting this. I have a little girl (13 now!) who was critically ill as an infant. This led to a seizure disorder and considerable delays. She still has difficulty in many areas but is a very happy child and that is all I ask for.

When she was very small we begged her to talk and each trip to WDW was like a language explosion. It was such a blessing. There is no wonder we have such a love for WDW.

I am also an SLP in the public schools. There are so many kids I see that I would love to take with me and expose to he magic! I know that they would love it!

J.C.&ALI'SMOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 08:46 PM   #21
kvnchapman
Mouseketeer

Love this sweet story! WDW is magical for our family, too. Last year DS (2), who has done lots of work to overcome some of his spectrum challenges, initiated his first hug with Tigger at Crystal Palace. With tears in my eyes, I thanked Tigger for spending extra time with "Bean" and told him how much it meant to us. Next thing we knew, Tigger reappeared with cards for our twins, along with a manager who had a set of Tigger plushes for our little guys. That week, he also uttered a 2 word sentence on the boat at Epcot. A significant milestone for us!! Disney is super magical. So thankful for our happy place.
kvnchapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 09:11 PM   #22
minkydog
DIS Cast Member
hey! I've got two college degrees and a steady job. if I wanna watch mindless TV, so what?
DIS Official Rum Taster
I used to be in the all-natural camp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracies View Post
I'm copy/pasting this from my facebook a few days ago, so please forgive any typos, as I posted from my iPhone.

So we experienced a miracle tonight. Noah (ds5, with moderate non-to-limited-verbal autism)has never in his life done any greetings. We can't get him to wave, say hello or goodbye, or anything of that nature. So tonight we rode the Nemo ride at Epcot and he loved it. We went right back in (it was close to closing time and hardly anyone there) and the 2nd time, I said, "Noah, let's wave to Nemo!" and he waved! Kept doing it the whole ride. We told the CM's what had happened, and they were super excited, and told us to keep riding as many times as we wanted, so we took him through like 8 more times. By the 5th or 6th time, he was waving at all the characters, AND saying "Hi Nemo! (and Dori and Marlin and Bruce, etc.) I was bawling by then of course. lol. After the 8th or 9th time, the cast members met us at the end of the ride, along with the engineer and supervisor of the ride. They had brought Noah a stuffed Nemo doll, and they all talked to him and took pictures and stuff. I can't properly express what a huge thing this is for us. Not only for the amazingly huge breakthrough Noah had, but also the outstanding people who work here. I've before never experienced the welcome and helpfulness that we've seen every single day from the Disney staff. This is truly a magical place. ♥

And this is my update today:

Our little Disney miracle has definitely stuck. Noah has been waving and saying hi and goodbye consistently since it happened. Praise God!!! Oh and a cast member totally made my day the day we left. We went back to Nemo and rode a few more times, and she remembered us. She was so excited that we came back, and she said all the cast members in The Seas had been talking about him all week! The best part - she said if she had ever needed validation for her job, we were it! ♥
That is amazing! I'm so happy for you. We never know what little key will open our kids' minds and there's no predicting what happens. I know those castmembers realized that they were witnessing a miracle. How awesome to be a part of that.
Old 11-12-2012, 04:29 AM   #23
pampam
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvnchapman View Post
Love this sweet story! WDW is magical for our family, too. Last year DS (2), who has done lots of work to overcome some of his spectrum challenges, initiated his first hug with Tigger at Crystal Palace. With tears in my eyes, I thanked Tigger for spending extra time with "Bean" and told him how much it meant to us. Next thing we knew, Tigger reappeared with cards for our twins, along with a manager who had a set of Tigger plushes for our little guys. That week, he also uttered a 2 word sentence on the boat at Epcot. A significant milestone for us!! Disney is super magical. So thankful for our happy place.

Happy tears again. Good talking, Bean.
pampam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 07:16 PM   #24
I Love Pluto
DIS Veteran
I guess that makes me a kiddie song expert.

I LOVE happy stories such as yours.

THANK YOU so very much for sharing. I hope you have continued blessings to your family!
Old 11-13-2012, 07:53 PM   #25
Pooh2
DIS Veteran

Beautiful story! Best wishes to you and your son!
Pooh2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 10:22 PM   #26
SA mom
DIS Veteran

Thanks, everyone, for sharing your stories.

I was really worried about our first trip to WDW. At age 6, one of my daughters still wouldn't say her name. What if she got lost or hurt or...?

After reading all the great stories about kids with Autism and how many make huge gains at WDW, we took the plunge. I was skeptical about making any kind of gain, but I wasn't scared to take her anymore.

Her social development in that one week was more than in the previous 6 years. For the first time ever, the four of us were talking about the same thing! We had CONVERSATION!

We immediately booked our trip for the girls 7th birthday. Best birthday ever!

Your story reminds of me of that incredible trip and what a difference Disney World has made in the lives of our family.
SA mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 12:02 AM   #27
Mom2six
DIS Veteran

I'm so happy for you that your trip was such a miracle. Your post made me cry! When we went in September it was so good for my son (4). He rode Its A Small World with us and I cried the whole time - I never thought I would get him on a ride at all and our whole family was able to ride together. It was so special.
Mom2six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 03:04 AM   #28
KPeveler

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracies View Post
I'm copy/pasting this from my facebook a few days ago, so please forgive any typos, as I posted from my iPhone.

So we experienced a miracle tonight. Noah (ds5, with moderate non-to-limited-verbal autism)has never in his life done any greetings. We can't get him to wave, say hello or goodbye, or anything of that nature. So tonight we rode the Nemo ride at Epcot and he loved it. We went right back in (it was close to closing time and hardly anyone there) and the 2nd time, I said, "Noah, let's wave to Nemo!" and he waved! Kept doing it the whole ride. We told the CM's what had happened, and they were super excited, and told us to keep riding as many times as we wanted, so we took him through like 8 more times. By the 5th or 6th time, he was waving at all the characters, AND saying "Hi Nemo! (and Dori and Marlin and Bruce, etc.) I was bawling by then of course. lol. After the 8th or 9th time, the cast members met us at the end of the ride, along with the engineer and supervisor of the ride. They had brought Noah a stuffed Nemo doll, and they all talked to him and took pictures and stuff. I can't properly express what a huge thing this is for us. Not only for the amazingly huge breakthrough Noah had, but also the outstanding people who work here. I've before never experienced the welcome and helpfulness that we've seen every single day from the Disney staff. This is truly a magical place. ♥

And this is my update today:

Our little Disney miracle has definitely stuck. Noah has been waving and saying hi and goodbye consistently since it happened. Praise God!!! Oh and a cast member totally made my day the day we left. We went back to Nemo and rode a few more times, and she remembered us. She was so excited that we came back, and she said all the cast members in The Seas had been talking about him all week! The best part - she said if she had ever needed validation for her job, we were it! ♥
Awesome story. Disney CMs really can make so much magic!

"Its kind of fun to do the impossible" ~Walt Disney

Married in Disney World 10/26/2009!
KPeveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 03:06 AM   #29
RellaSprinkles
Earning My Ears

My eyes are filled with happy tears for you.. what a precious memory!
Jan 2013: Art of Animation-Cars family suite **Mar 2012: ASMovies and WL ** Jan 2011: ASMovies ** May 2010: FW Cabin ** Dec 2009: Pop Century **Jan 2009: ASMovies and POR ** Dec 2007: ASMusic/ASMovies ** Jan 2007: ASMovies
RellaSprinkles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 09:24 PM   #30
kvnchapman
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pampam View Post

Happy tears again. Good talking, Bean.
Thanks Pampam! Gotta love that Pixie Dust!
kvnchapman is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: