Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 11-11-2012, 11:09 AM   #961
aaarcher86
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucifie View Post
I love this idea! We're going in January, but it's going to be the kids' "big" Christmas present and I've been trying to think of a fun way to tell them to present it.
Same for us with the Christmas present.

We bought each girl a new suitcase and we are filling it with a ton of Disney stuff - T-shirts for the trip, maps, character cards, countdown calenders, etc.

We are trying to decide whether or not we should split up 'we are going' and 'to Disney World' in the suitcases on the bottom.

We will wheel the suitcases out at the end so it doesn't spoil the other presents lol

Old 11-11-2012, 11:27 AM   #962
Missytara
I'm all ears!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollygolitely93
For Magic Kingdom...

If we want to get to park around 8am when should we go to bus stop? We would go to the main one by lobby as we would grab breakfast first.

Also, what time does breakfast place open up?
7 am.

Me and the three cats - Momma Abby and the Kids, Gracie, Jack, and R.I.P. my little Desi (10/14/11) - Momma and the kids miss you and so do I.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-11-2012, 11:37 AM   #963
WLSILVERCREEKSPRINGS
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanialesser View Post
Hi everyone,
I am posting for the first time, after spending two weeks absorbing all the advice and great ideas up here. DH (if that means husband I used it correctly!) and I are taking our 2 kids on their first Disney trip ever and our first trips as adults and parents... And they don't know yet. We have royal room reservations POR for 10 days starting on Nov 26 and my daughter will celebrate her 6th bday with a bbb makeover than dinner at Cinderella's table.

Has anyone here ever surprised their kids with a trip? If so when did you tell them? Our flight leaves at 6am so we have to be at the airport by 4 to clear customs. Any ideas on how to wake them up, would you tell them at the airport or before we leave the house? DH and I dont agree so looking for ideas!

Additionally the inlaws decided to join us and booked the same room type and had the reservations linked with a connecting door request. I was wondering if anyone has stayed in the royal guest room with a linking door and had a suggestion on what to request? Our kids love to swim, so we plan on spending a lot of time at the large pool.

I had read on another thread someone had received a phone call from Mickey on their birthday, is this something I can set up in advance, or is it automatic? If anyone has advice on this please let me know

Long first post, but getting so excited I can barely sleep!! Thanks for any help!
We surprised DD a few years ago with a treasure hunt, we hid clues all over the house and it ended in our garage, we had some of her Disney stuffed animals in the trunk of my wifes car and they were holding our reservations and tickets.
Old 11-11-2012, 11:45 AM   #964
Missytara
I'm all ears!

We surprised a 5 year old a few years ago. They did a build-a-bear and it said, "Surprise, ......we are going to Disney World tomorrow morning!

It was great.

Me and the three cats - Momma Abby and the Kids, Gracie, Jack, and R.I.P. my little Desi (10/14/11) - Momma and the kids miss you and so do I.
Old 11-11-2012, 12:45 PM   #965
osu2k1
Disneyland Veteran | Disneyworld Newbie

Currently we are booked for a Royal Guest Room (standard). I am wondering if I'd be better off booking a Preferred room location. I really don't care about the view, but I wouldn't mind a garden view. I have 2 boys, and so the whole "princess" theme isn't the selling point. I booked it because I thought it was the only way to get 2 queen beds. I just wonder if I'd be happier being closer to the food court, bus stop, cool pool.

Thoughts? If I want to change it, is it something I FAX them before (I have no idea what all that is all about, too). This is our first WDW trip so I am trying to figure it out.
Which building would I request for prefered?
If I were to keep the RGR, where would I want to be? I was thinking Oak Manor.
Can I request a garden view, even though our package isn't for that?

Thanks!!!

SURPRISE TRIP FOR THE BOYS Dec 8-15, '12: Port Orleans Riverside Royal Guest room
PTR: Santa's coming early!
Old 11-11-2012, 12:58 PM   #966
Scott MC
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by osu2k1
Currently we are booked for a Royal Guest Room (standard). I am wondering if I'd be better off booking a Preferred room location. I really don't care about the view, but I wouldn't mind a garden view. I have 2 boys, and so the whole "princess" theme isn't the selling point. I booked it because I thought it was the only way to get 2 queen beds. I just wonder if I'd be happier being closer to the food court, bus stop, cool pool.

Thoughts? If I want to change it, is it something I FAX them before (I have no idea what all that is all about, too). This is our first WDW trip so I am trying to figure it out.
Which building would I request for prefered?
If I were to keep the RGR, where would I want to be? I was thinking Oak Manor.
Can I request a garden view, even though our package isn't for that?

Thanks!!!
You'll get queen beds anywhere at POR. If you pay for a preferred location, I don't think the building number really matters. They're all in a great spot. As for keeping the RGR rez, based on the maps I've seen, Oak Manor would be a better request if being close to the main building and main bus stop is what's important to you.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
Old 11-11-2012, 01:12 PM   #967
Missytara
I'm all ears!

Since preferred is a booking category, you cannot request it.

You can book a RR and request one of the two buildings and ask for a garden view room. Oak Manor has more rooms closer to the main building.

Old 11-11-2012, 02:44 PM   #968
Kathy Z
Counting my Blessings

Quote:
Originally Posted by FigmentChick View Post
We love the pasta bar!!!
My favorie is making your own salad. I practically live at the local Saladwork (they know my CYO by heart....sad, I know). I usually include the steak in my salad and it is so nice knowing everything is fresh. I'm far from a health nut, but it's just my favorite thing to eat (in WDW or anywhere). My daughter wants me to tell you her favorite is the pasta bar.

Have a great day!!![/QUOTE]

Is steak one of the items available for the POR CS make your own salad? At home I use leftover flank steak in our salads quite often. Could you tell me some of the other items available. I'd be especially interested in spinach, mushrooms, romaine lettuce, cheese and hard boiled eggs. I can't eat cucumbers, peppers, raw onions or tomatoes.

Today is our 90 day mark so I'm cheering
Old 11-11-2012, 03:27 PM   #969
hollygolitely93
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missytara View Post
7 am.
Ha! 7am the restaurant opens or I have to catch a 7 am bus to get to parks at 8am. So...if the latter my next question...how often do buses run...every 20 minutes? If I catch a 7:20-7:30 bus what time will I get to MK... 8:30?
Old 11-11-2012, 03:34 PM   #970
tanialesser
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missytara View Post
We surprised a 5 year old a few years ago. They did a build-a-bear and it said, "Surprise, ......we are going to Disney World tomorrow morning!

It was great.
LOVE LOVE LOVE the build a bear idea!!!! I think thats what we will do, thanks Missytara!

Venom thank you so much for the PM 15 sleeps to go.
Old 11-11-2012, 11:26 PM   #971
theresamom
Earning My Ears

Just book POR today!!! We booked a gardenview Royal Guest Room (I've never stayed in anything beyond a value resort, so please allow me to capitalize my Royal Guest Room -with my pinky up! I'm so excited!)

I've heard about the bus issues at this resort. Based on the fact that I will be staying in a Royal Guest Room, my nearest bus stops seem to be the South and East depots.

However, I've read that some people have had better luck with the buses by using the POFQ buses from the ROYAL GUEST ROOM locations. Is this a good suggestion? Is it a long walk? Are the buses less crowded? Could I ask more questions about this?

Thoughts?
Old 11-12-2012, 02:09 AM   #972
andrewilley
Port Orleans Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by theresamom View Post
However, I've read that some people have had better luck with the buses by using the POFQ buses from the ROYAL GUEST ROOM locations. Is this a good suggestion? Is it a long walk? Are the buses less crowded? Could I ask more questions about this?
LOL, however much is written people will always ask more questions about buses, so you're not alone. It's a very subjective matter though, even on the same day you'll hear totally contradicting reports of what worked best for two different guests.

Some POR guests occasionally come back via POFQ and walk, if that bus happens to arrive first and has a shorter queue, but generally not many set off from there in the fist place. If you're on the river-facing side of the mansions, South is probably your quickest option. If you're on the other side, East may be quicker for you. East will usually have less people waiting, but you could also end up with more crowded buses as they'll have made several stops before you. It's really best to judge it for yourself when you get your room, and maybe try both and see which works best for you?

For the record, I tend to use South mostly - but then we tend to try to get rooms near to the main building, so that's usually our closest stop.

Andre

For more info on the Port Orleans resorts, please visit www.portorleans.org
Now including a Trip Report forum - any comments on your POR/POFQ stays are welcome

Days Inn Lakeside: Apr/May 89 Disney's Wilderness Lodge: Feb 99Disney's Beach Club: Sep 07, Sep 09
Disney's Dixie Landings: Jul/Aug 95, Oct 96, Sep/Oct 97, Feb 99
Disney's Port Orleans Riverside: Sep/Oct 02, Jun 04, May/Jun 05, May 06, Oct 07, Aug 08, Aug 09, Feb 10, Halloween 10, Aug 11, Aug 12, Feb 13, Aug 13... and coming next, Aug 14
Old 11-12-2012, 05:56 AM   #973
ksromack
DIS Veteran

I'm so happy to find this thread again! We arrive in less than 4 weeks now and I'm beside myself with excitement! I had subscribed to the threads before we went over 250 pages and for some reason missed subscribing to Part Three I'm off to start reading from the begining!
Old 11-12-2012, 06:04 AM   #974
Gorechick
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by theresamom
Just book POR today!!! We booked a gardenview Royal Guest Room (I've never stayed in anything beyond a value resort, so please allow me to capitalize my Royal Guest Room -with my pinky up! I'm so excited!)

I've heard about the bus issues at this resort. Based on the fact that I will be staying in a Royal Guest Room, my nearest bus stops seem to be the South and East depots.

Thoughts?
We were in Parterre Place which is considered the further Royal Room building. We used the South depot and never thought it was too far to walk or too crowded.
DTD-Courtyard by Marriott August 1997
Wilderness Lodge Honeymoon August 2002
Port Orleans- French Quarter Anniversary (AND Hurricane Charley) August 2004
Port Orleans- Riverside Royal Room- 10th Anniversary and First Trip with Twins August 2012
Future trips on hold due to DS8's leukemia diagnosis

Me (43) DH (40) DS (8) DD (8)

Waiting impatiently for our next family WDW trip!
Old 11-12-2012, 06:04 AM   #975
andrewilley
Port Orleans Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksromack View Post
I'm off to start reading from the begining!
Better be quick, we're up to 65 pages again already.

Andre

For more info on the Port Orleans resorts, please visit www.portorleans.org
Now including a Trip Report forum - any comments on your POR/POFQ stays are welcome

Days Inn Lakeside: Apr/May 89 Disney's Wilderness Lodge: Feb 99Disney's Beach Club: Sep 07, Sep 09
Disney's Dixie Landings: Jul/Aug 95, Oct 96, Sep/Oct 97, Feb 99
Disney's Port Orleans Riverside: Sep/Oct 02, Jun 04, May/Jun 05, May 06, Oct 07, Aug 08, Aug 09, Feb 10, Halloween 10, Aug 11, Aug 12, Feb 13, Aug 13... and coming next, Aug 14
Closed Thread

Tags
faq, faqs, por, port orleans, port orleans riverside

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: