Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-10-2012, 09:58 PM   #976
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2sleep View Post
I pretty much did Hawaii for sea days. They were so wonderful. The destination was pretty icing on the proverbial cake.
I did Hawaii for Hawaii, and the cruise. We only started cruising in 2008 and found we love it. If it's a cruise, I'll do my best to be on it.

13 Cruises, 8 ships, 124 nights
Panama Canal; Alaska; Med; WB Transatlantic; Mexican Riviera; Hawaii; Baja CA; Bahamas; Eastern/Western Caribbean

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008, 2014 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 11:57 AM   #977
splashmommy
SplashMommy

Our waiter last week on the Fantasy mentioned Asia in Disney's future. He did not say when though.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-11-2012, 08:41 PM   #978
LiseG
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by splashmommy View Post
Our waiter last week on the Fantasy mentioned Asia in Disney's future. He did not say when though.
So how about a OW to Hawaii, a couple 7-day Hawaii cruises then a OW to Asia?

Maybe tie in with Disneyland Tokyo, Hong Kong Disneyland or the new Shanghai Disney Resort set to open in Dec 2015

Magic 4-Day Cozumel only - Sept 2004 (Booked as 7-Day Eastern - Thanks Hurricane Francis) . . . . . . . Magic 7-Day Western - Sept 2009 (Ms. Mary's Wedding)
Magic 7-Day Semi-Western - Sept 2005 (Booked Eastern again - went West due to Hurricane Rita) . . .Wonder 7-Day Pacific Coast PIXAR- Sept 2012
Magic 7-Day Eastern - Halloween 2006 (Finally made it to Eastern!) . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Fantasy 7-Day Western - Sept 2014 (20th Anniversary)
LiseG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 08:46 PM   #979
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiseG View Post
So how about a OW to Hawaii, a couple 7-day Hawaii cruises then a OW to Asia?

Maybe tie in with Disneyland Tokyo, Hong Kong Disneyland or the new Shanghai Disney Resort set to open in Dec 2015
Only possible problem with that is that they can't do a one way LA-Hawaii. It's against the PVSA. Now, if they were to do the one way Hawaii from either Ensenada or Vancouver, that would work. And, I'm not sure, but I don't think DCL (or any foreign-flagged ship) can do Hawaii only cruises without a foreign port stop (the closest foreign port to Hawaii is Fanning Island - 1 day away, each way).

13 Cruises, 8 ships, 124 nights
Panama Canal; Alaska; Med; WB Transatlantic; Mexican Riviera; Hawaii; Baja CA; Bahamas; Eastern/Western Caribbean

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008, 2014 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 11:11 PM   #980
disneymath
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessShmoo

Only possible problem with that is that they can't do a one way LA-Hawaii. It's against the PVSA. Now, if they were to do the one way Hawaii from either Ensenada or Vancouver, that would work. And, I'm not sure, but I don't think DCL (or any foreign-flagged ship) can do Hawaii only cruises without a foreign port stop (the closest foreign port to Hawaii is Fanning Island - 1 day away, each way).

To me a 7 night Hawaii RT would be appealing ... most days spent cruising around and visiting the Hawaiian islands and 2 sea days - though I must admit, I have no idea whether or not Fanning Island would make a good stop between the sea days.

disneymath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 11:13 PM   #981
luv2sleep
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneymath View Post
To me a 7 night Hawaii RT would be appealing ... most days spent cruising around and visiting the Hawaiian islands and 2 sea days - though I must admit, I have no idea whether or not Fanning Island would make a good stop between the sea days.
Not trying to be mean, but can it be any less appealing than Ensenada?
Old 11-12-2012, 12:13 AM   #982
disneymath
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2sleep

Not trying to be mean, but can it be any less appealing than Ensenada?
Not taking it as mean, I really had no clue. Ensenada on the other hand, I've head about as not being all that great, so point taken.

Maybe they could do one of those "a few hours in the evening" port stops to fulfill the requirement, but not actually have it as a "port day". Didn't they do that with Victoria, Canada on some of the Alaska cruises this year?

disneymath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 12:17 AM   #983
luv2sleep
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneymath

Not taking it as mean, I really had no clue. Ensenada on the other hand, I've head about as not being all that great, so point taken.

Maybe they could do one of those "a few hours in the evening" port stops to fulfill the requirement, but not actually have it as a "port day". Didn't they do that with Victoria, Canada on some of the Alaska cruises this year?
Fanning Island has been mentioned before. I know nothing about it though. I wonder if other cruiselines stop there?
Old 11-12-2012, 12:56 AM   #984
deanimal
DIS Veteran

Several cruise lines used to do the round trip Hawaii cruise with a stop in Fanning Island; my parents did one about ten years ago. I don't think any lines do it anymore, but I really don't know why. I think my parents said it took more than one day each way and there wasn't really anything when you got there.

What I would really love to see is one way cruises between Vancouver and Hawaii. Ten days would give you five sea days and five days for the islands. It would be totally legal and Vancouver is an extremely safe and appealing destination in its own right. (And the fact that I live nearby may influence me just a wee bit!) Right now RCCL does some 10-12 day cruises like this on the way to/from Alaska, but I think this could be extended further into spring or fall, or even all summer as an alternative to the same old Alaska itineraries.

Any line doing this would make my day, but if it were Disney?
deanimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 08:39 AM   #985
NancyIL
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneymath View Post
A cruise that has to stop in Fanning Island would be longer than 7 nights. Only NCL's Pride of America does 7-nght cruises from Hawaii, as it is a US-flagged ship.
Quote:
Originally Posted by deanimal View Post
Several cruise lines used to do the round trip Hawaii cruise with a stop in Fanning Island; my parents did one about ten years ago. I don't think any lines do it anymore, but I really don't know why. I think my parents said it took more than one day each way and there wasn't really anything when you got there.

What I would really love to see is one way cruises between Vancouver and Hawaii. Ten days would give you five sea days and five days for the islands. It would be totally legal and Vancouver is an extremely safe and appealing destination in its own right. (And the fact that I live nearby may influence me just a wee bit!) Right now RCCL does some 10-12 day cruises like this on the way to/from Alaska, but I think this could be extended further into spring or fall, or even all summer as an alternative to the same old Alaska itineraries.

Any line doing this would make my day, but if it were Disney?
DCL had ports booked in Hawaii for what I thought would be two 10-night one-way cruises at the end of the Alaska season in Sept. 2013. For whatever reason, they scrapped those plans and instead hurried to get to Galveston.

Yes, RCI has 2 ships that do one-way repositioning cruises between Vancouver and Hawaii in the spring and fall - on their way to and from Australia.
NancyIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 08:54 AM   #986
luv2sleep
DIS Veteran

I looked up Fanning Island. Population is about 2000 people. Their economy is based on producing coconut oil and on tourism. NCL cruises used to frequent there but stopped when they got the Pride of America US flagged. Now their economy is suffering because cruises ships hardly go there anymore. It's a small island and it looked like there would be light shopping and beach activities available. Not a ton to do it seems. There might be other things to do on the island but I didn't investigate further.

Edited: I just read they have no electricity or running water and no restaurants. Probably not a great port stop for people looking for more than just a tropical island to see.

Last edited by luv2sleep; 11-12-2012 at 09:44 AM.
luv2sleep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 10:50 AM   #987
deanimal
DIS Veteran

Is the Wonder still on those Hawaiian port schedules? I think someone posted recently that it still was. It makes me wonder.....what if Disney is still holding those spots with the possibility of switching the Wonder to a Hawaii cruise in fall 2013 if the Galveston cruises don't sell well? They've already been messing around with the Galveston itineraries for spring 2013 and the prices for fall 2013 out of Galveston are much lower than their other itineraries, which indicates they aren't selling too well. And we all know what happened after the Mexico cruises didn't sell well for the fall of 2012! Maybe the delay in the 2014 release is because they're planning an overhaul of the fall 2013 itineraries first.
deanimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 10:58 AM   #988
luv2sleep
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanimal
Is the Wonder still on those Hawaiian port schedules? I think someone posted recently that it still was. It makes me wonder.....what if Disney is still holding those spots with the possibility of switching the Wonder to a Hawaii cruise in fall 2013 if the Galveston cruises don't sell well? They've already been messing around with the Galveston itineraries for spring 2013 and the prices for fall 2013 out of Galveston are much lower than their other itineraries, which indicates they aren't selling too well. And we all know what happened after the Mexico cruises didn't sell well for the fall of 2012! Maybe the delay in the 2014 release is because they're planning an overhaul of the fall 2013 itineraries first.
The Wonder was still on the Kahului, Maui port schedule when I checked last week. The Wonder is scheduled for the EB PC at that time, during those dates, though.
Old 11-12-2012, 11:11 AM   #989
NancyIL
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanimal View Post
DCL would SO shoot themselves in the foot if they made such a drastic change as that! DCL needs to learn that if a cruise doesn't sell well - DROP THE PRiCE to fill the ship - rather than screw around with the itinerary!
NancyIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 11:22 AM   #990
RedSox68
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by NancyIL View Post
DCL would SO shoot themselves in the foot if they made such a drastic change as that! DCL needs to learn that if a cruise doesn't sell well - DROP THE PRiCE to fill the ship - rather than screw around with the itinerary!
You got that one right! It seems to be a very bad trend that DCL has settled into -- screwing with already booked customer's itineraries to satisfy their need to fill the ship. I honestly don't know any other cruise line that changes their itineraries as much as DCL seems to these past two years. So once you book, you really aren't sure what you're actually going to get by the time your cruise comes around

Nov. 2000 -- Disney Wonder -- 4-night Bahama; Nov. 2002 -- Disney Magic 7-night Caribbean; Aug. 2004 -- Disney Magic 7-night Caribbean;
Aug. 2005 -- Disney Magic 14-night Panama Canal; Aug. 2006 -- Disney Wonder 10 night Southern Caribbean; Aug. 2007 -- Disney Magic 10-night Mediterranean
Aug. 2007 -- Disney Magic 14-night Transatlantic; Aug. 2008 -- NCL Pride of America -- 7-night Hawaiian & Vow Renewal; Oct. 2009 -- Disney Magic -- 7-night Caribbean
July 2010 -- RV "Land Cruise" -- 30-days covering the West; May 2011 -- Disney Dream -- 4-night Bahama
June 2011 -- RV "Land Cruise" -- 30-days finishing the West and South!
May 2012 -- HAL Zaandam -- 7-night Alaska cruise/12 night cruisetour (thus completing our 50th state!)
August 2013 -- Carnival Glory -- 4-night NYC to St John, NB
Sept 2013 -- HAL Eurodam -- 10-night Colors of Canada/NE Cruise from Quebec to NYC
Dec. 2014 -- Disney Fantasy 7-night Eastern with San Juan port (our platinum cruise & 4th Disney ship!)
August 2015 -- Royal Princess -- 12-night British Isles Cruise R/T from Southampton

January 2016 -- Wonder 7-night Southern Caribbean out of San Juan; February 2016 -- Wonder 5-night Repo from San Juan to Miami
RedSox68 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: