Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Universal Studios/Sea World > Universal Studios/Islands of Adventure Forums
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-11-2012, 05:06 PM   #886
damo
Proud Redhead
amok amok amok
The curly haired dude said he wouldn't be joining me this vacation!

Quote:
Originally Posted by peemagg View Post
Can wheelchairs and ECV's go into Olivanders and see the show? Have been told on another part of the boards that people were being turned away by the Cm's. Is this the correct answer or a misinformed Cm?
I have no clue why they wouldn't be allowed in. It is just a room. Contact guest services at the park for a definitive answer.

Last edited by damo; 11-11-2012 at 05:27 PM.
damo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 07:53 PM   #887
peemagg
We are doing the AKL tri-fecta
You will find us wrapped up in them at night and on the weekends

The person that this happened to said that they were told it was because the room was too small. Just curious if this is a normal occurrence or just a misinformed cast member.
peemagg is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-11-2012, 09:20 PM   #888
damo
Proud Redhead
amok amok amok

Quote:
The person that this happened to said that they were told it was because the room was too small. Just curious if this is a normal occurrence or just a misinformed cast member.
I can see them asking someone in a scooter to transfer to a wheelchair but I can't see why a wheelchair would not be allowed in.

Personally, I've never heard anyone complain about it. I know there are other things in the park where people need to transfer from a scooter to a wheelchair (such as the queue at Hogwarts), so that may be the situation here as well.

Last edited by damo; 11-11-2012 at 09:27 PM.
Old 11-11-2012, 09:59 PM   #889
BrinkofSunshine
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by damo View Post
I can see them asking someone in a scooter to transfer to a wheelchair but I can't see why a wheelchair would not be allowed in.

Personally, I've never heard anyone complain about it. I know there are other things in the park where people need to transfer from a scooter to a wheelchair (such as the queue at Hogwarts), so that may be the situation here as well.
Since Ollivander's has the same kind of stanchions as Forbidden Journey, I would assume that ECV's are not allowed in the queue or the room. I've been in the room with someone in a wheelchair, so I know that's not a problem.
BrinkofSunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 06:39 PM   #890
dizprincess717
LOVE: It will not betray you, dismay or enslave you - it will set you free.

Quote:
Can wheelchairs and ECV's go into Olivanders and see the show? Have been told on another part of the boards that people were being turned away by the Cm's. Is this the correct answer or a misinformed Cm?
I was just there last Wednesday (November 7) and we did Olivander's (it was GREAT by the way!) and there was an ECV in the room while the "show" was going on, and I did see maybe 2 more ECVs in line.

Just Believe

November 1991 -- Fort Wilderness April 1993 -- Caribbean Beach June 1996 -- Wilderness Lodge
Christmas 1998 -- Wilderness Lodge June 2004 -- Fort Wilderness March 2005 -- Caribbean Beach
January-May 2006 -- CP Splash Mnt. Hostess March 2008 -- Off-Site December 2008 - Off-Site
June 2009 -- All-Star Sports November 2012 -- Old Key West November 2014 -- Old Key West

But if I know you, I know what you'll do...

dizprincess717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 12:58 PM   #891
EvangelineG
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by damo View Post

I called to double check with Universal Guest Services if this was some kind of policy change. The person that I spoke to called the attraction manager at Ollivander's to make absolutely sure. This is NOT the policy at Ollivander's. Wheelchairs are most definitely allowed in (as was our personal experience last year), and this must have been one misinformed staff member. I am not 100% sure about whether or not EVC users will have to transfer to a WC, but one way or the other there is access for sure, or at least should be.

Me & DH + DS & DS (both 12)
EvangelineG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 01:02 PM   #892
damo
Proud Redhead
amok amok amok

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvangelineG View Post
I called to double check with Universal Guest Services if this was some kind of policy change. The person that I spoke to called the attraction manager at Ollivander's to make absolutely sure. This is NOT the policy at Ollivander's. Wheelchairs are most definitely allowed in (as was our personal experience last year), and this must have been one misinformed staff member. I am not 100% sure about whether or not EVC users will have to transfer to a WC, but one way or the other there is access for sure, or at least should be.
Makes sense to me! And it is good info to have on this thread.
Old 11-16-2012, 01:54 PM   #893
peemagg
We are doing the AKL tri-fecta
You will find us wrapped up in them at night and on the weekends

Thank you all for your help. This was a problem that was brought up on the disAbilities board. There was a person on there who was not allowed to see the Olivander's show in the last month. They were told that unless they could stand for the length of the show, they could not see it. I did not see how that allowed with it being a relatively new attraction and the ADA laws. Kind of figured that it was the person at the door being misinformed.

This information makes me feel better since we will be going there for the first time next year and I can't stand all that long.

Thank you all for the help. I will pass this information on to the disAbilites forum.
peemagg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 03:11 PM   #894
EvangelineG
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Thank you all for your help. This was a problem that was brought up on the disAbilities board. There was a person on there who was not allowed to see the Olivander's show in the last month. They were told that unless they could stand for the length of the show, they could not see it. I did not see how that allowed with it being a relatively new attraction and the ADA laws. Kind of figured that it was the person at the door being misinformed.

This information makes me feel better since we will be going there for the first time next year and I can't stand all that long.

Thank you all for the help. I will pass this information on to the disAbilites forum.
No problem at all. I was also following the thread in disAbilities, and was concerned. My youngest sister has mobility issues as well as cognitive/social/emotional ones and would be soooo upset to be denied entrance, especially since we were able to see the show last year with her (the wands chose my twin sons!), so I thought I'd better check it out. The person I dealt with on the phone was super nice, and I am looking forward to another fantastic experience at Universal!

I posted this info on the other thread after posting here. I hope you have a great trip next year! Our experience with a variety of special needs at Universal was 100% positive. As a matter of fact we had some of our best CM interaction there of our whole trip!

Me & DH + DS & DS (both 12)
EvangelineG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 10:15 AM   #895
GrumpyGoofyFan
Earning My Ears

Hi,

I have a one two park express pass to Universal and I was wondering should I do the harry potter rides that are not express first when the park opens. I won't be able to get in the extra hour since I am staying @ Disney but I wasn't sure what was better early or later.
GrumpyGoofyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 10:33 AM   #896
mesaboy2
Doofenshmirtz Evil Incorporated

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrumpyGoofyFan
Hi,

I have a one two park express pass to Universal and I was wondering should I do the harry potter rides that are not express first when the park opens. I won't be able to get in the extra hour since I am staying @ Disney but I wasn't sure what was better early or later.
Experiences vary. The first hour or two of most any park day will see the least crowds of the day. However, it is perfectly possible that the last hour or two will see low crowds too. Just avoid the middle of the day.

FastPass+ Basic Information, Attraction List, and Suggested Priorities
MyMagic & FastPass+ Official Information & FAQ (courtesy andyman8)
Magic Bands 101 (courtesy MouseMomx2)
mesaboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 10:55 AM   #897
GrumpyGoofyFan
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesaboy2 View Post
Experiences vary. The first hour or two of most any park day will see the least crowds of the day. However, it is perfectly possible that the last hour or two will see low crowds too. Just avoid the middle of the day.
Thank you. I will check early and see if it is really crowded. If so, I will go later on. Do you happen to know if the collectors mug from the butter beer is plastic and if so, do they sell a glass one @ a gift shop? I want to get one for a friend.
Old 11-23-2012, 11:20 AM   #898
mesaboy2
Doofenshmirtz Evil Incorporated

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrumpyGoofyFan

Thank you. I will check early and see if it is really crowded. If so, I will go later on. Do you happen to know if the collectors mug from the butter beer is plastic and if so, do they sell a glass one @ a gift shop? I want to get one for a friend.
Unless they've changed in the last 12 months, the souvie mug with butterbeer is plastic. I don't recall seeing glass versions anywhere, but my info is a year old now.

FastPass+ Basic Information, Attraction List, and Suggested Priorities
MyMagic & FastPass+ Official Information & FAQ (courtesy andyman8)
Magic Bands 101 (courtesy MouseMomx2)
mesaboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 12:44 PM   #899
BrinkofSunshine
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrumpyGoofyFan View Post
They sell glass cups in the gift shops but they don't look like the Butterbeer mugs. The glass cups I've seen have been Hogwarts house colors themed.
BrinkofSunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 03:37 PM   #900
GrumpyGoofyFan
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrinkofSunshine View Post
They sell glass cups in the gift shops but they don't look like the Butterbeer mugs. The glass cups I've seen have been Hogwarts house colors themed.
Okay thank you, that is unfortunate. I will check out the ones they have there.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: