Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 11-11-2012, 10:15 AM   #1801
Luvamouse
DIS Veteran

Hi Everyone,

I have caught up on the last 10 or so pages and hope that the pool is done by New Year's Day-- my New England kids won't think anything of cool water/weather!

I am trying to stay positive about leaving RI December 28 to head to WDW, but the Hurricane and then the Nor'Easter and snow (!?!) have me trying VERY hard to be positive about the weather! After reading everything to boost my spirits (oh please let it be gorgeous weather here and fairly atypically temperate for coastal NE in January..... we CAN get 40's half the month) I have one more question:

How do the day beds compare to the ones at the Poly? They definitely look a lot smaller in any photos I see of the rooms. Both my girls are 5' 5", and fit nicely on the Poly daybed. The GF one has me leery. Should have had them try it when we visited my cousin's room in February...

Thanks! And I hope all those of you in NY and NJ who had a much worse time than we did are seeing improvement!

Heidi
February 2011--Back to the Poly says the Birthday Girl! Daytona 500 and WDW for DD's 16th B-Day
February 2012- Couldn't resist! Daytona 500 and Contemporary MK View. Scratch that-- Back to the Poly Again!

January 2013... Somebody stop me! DD's 1st Year in College, let's keep our life "normal" and go to WDW! Poly Again? I'd love to try POR... Looks like CR MK View. Nope, now it's GF Lagoon View!

Old 11-11-2012, 12:15 PM   #1802
Dream Big Live Grand
Earning My Ears

Lovamouse
I am 5' 5" and have slept very comfortably on the daybed
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-11-2012, 12:41 PM   #1803
k&a&c'smom
DIS Veteran

pas, it won't be long now.

Luvamouse - my DD is 5'4" and though we've never had to sleep on the daybed, we pulled it out and she tried it on our last trip. She had plenty of room. I have a photo of it opened, not sure if I have posted it on the first page yet, but I'll go find it and post here in a bit.

Sending pixiedust for great weather for all of our NE friends.

DreamBigLiveGrand - Welcome! Good to know the daybeds are not just for holding our jackets and bags.
*1996 Dixie Landings * 1998 Boardwalk Inn * 1999 Polynesian * 2000 Polynesian * '01 HRH * '02 GF * '03 AKL & BC * '04 Poly/AKL & Poly/BWI & POR * '05 AKL/Dolphin & POFQ * '06 Poly/GF & Christmas at the GF * '07 GF & HRH/BWI/WL/YC/GF & GF * '09 Poly/AKL & WL & GF * '10 AKL/GF & RPR/BC/GF *'11 GF & BC * '12 HRH/PBH & YC/GF * '13 GF/PBH
Thnx WDWKOOK! Forever in our hearts, JungleCruiser
Old 11-11-2012, 12:55 PM   #1804
k&a&c'smom
DIS Veteran

Here's the photo of the open daybed!

And a few photos of the new coffee makers with coffee pods and tea bags for everyone who has been wondering about them.

Instructions on top of coffee maker

*1996 Dixie Landings * 1998 Boardwalk Inn * 1999 Polynesian * 2000 Polynesian * '01 HRH * '02 GF * '03 AKL & BC * '04 Poly/AKL & Poly/BWI & POR * '05 AKL/Dolphin & POFQ * '06 Poly/GF & Christmas at the GF * '07 GF & HRH/BWI/WL/YC/GF & GF * '09 Poly/AKL & WL & GF * '10 AKL/GF & RPR/BC/GF *'11 GF & BC * '12 HRH/PBH & YC/GF * '13 GF/PBH
Old 11-11-2012, 01:41 PM   #1805
Dream Big Live Grand
Earning My Ears

K&a&c'smom thanks for the welcome
Old 11-11-2012, 06:45 PM   #1806
VS85
Mouseketeer

Newbie Question!

Hi everyone! I am a newbie to these boards... it took me over a week to read through the whole thread, but I finally made it! So much great information... my cousin and I are visiting the GF the week before Christmas (we have been dreaming of our perfect Disney vacation since we were twelve, and now we are finally going!). This is our first time staying on Disney property, and I have a couple of questions that I'm hoping to find the answer to from all of you experts!

1. We are arriving mid-day and want to head to DTD for dinner that evening at Wolfgang Puck Express (we're on the regular dining plan). How long does it usually take to get from GF to DTD, and is the only mode of transportation the bus (or cab)? I'd like to get back in time to watch the EWP that evening... where can we watch that from the hotel? Does it occur every night? I read somewhere that it usually starts around 9:15 - is that right?

2. We have reservations at Narcoossee's one night at 9pm. For those of you who have dined there before, is it difficult to request a table by a window? I really would love to watch the Wishes fireworks while we have dinner. Do you have to be by a window or can you see the fireworks from anywhere in the restaurant as long as you can see out the window?

3. From what I've read, in terms of room requests, I think I will request an upper floor in Conch Key marina view first and then Sago Cay marina view second. We are booked in a standard GV room. I haven't heard much about the main building though... is that because any GV rooms there will overlook construction? I would love to be in the main building because it is so central to everything, but definitely don't want to be by construction.

I would really appreciate your insight and advice! Also, if you have any tips on enjoying GF and the World during Christmas time, that would be great too! Thanks a bunch!
Old 11-11-2012, 09:01 PM   #1807
tatar63
Earning My Ears

Gingerbread House

We checked inti the G F today
The have the area roped off to start the Gingerbread House and are starting it tomorrow!
Old 11-11-2012, 10:31 PM   #1808
dragonfly57005
DIS Veteran

VS85: how exciting o take the trip like this!
Old 11-11-2012, 10:38 PM   #1809
Tink rules
The kids in my family sometimes think I walk on water... the rest of the time they know I'm their nutty AUNT!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VS85 View Post
Hi everyone! I am a newbie to these boards... it took me over a week to read through the whole thread, but I finally made it! So much great information... my cousin and I are visiting the GF the week before Christmas (we have been dreaming of our perfect Disney vacation since we were twelve, and now we are finally going!). This is our first time staying on Disney property, and I have a couple of questions that I'm hoping to find the answer to from all of you experts!

1. We are arriving mid-day and want to head to DTD for dinner that evening at Wolfgang Puck Express (we're on the regular dining plan). How long does it usually take to get from GF to DTD, and is the only mode of transportation the bus (or cab)? I'd like to get back in time to watch the EWP that evening... where can we watch that from the hotel? Does it occur every night? I read somewhere that it usually starts around 9:15 - is that right?

2. We have reservations at Narcoossee's one night at 9pm. For those of you who have dined there before, is it difficult to request a table by a window? I really would love to watch the Wishes fireworks while we have dinner. Do you have to be by a window or can you see the fireworks from anywhere in the restaurant as long as you can see out the window?

3. From what I've read, in terms of room requests, I think I will request an upper floor in Conch Key marina view first and then Sago Cay marina view second. We are booked in a standard GV room. I haven't heard much about the main building though... is that because any GV rooms there will overlook construction? I would love to be in the main building because it is so central to everything, but definitely don't want to be by construction.

I would really appreciate your insight and advice! Also, if you have any tips on enjoying GF and the World during Christmas time, that would be great too! Thanks a bunch!

Marina view either way is good...

It may take a little longer to get a table at the window. I've waited for one - sometimes if you get there a little earlier, you can tell the CM at the entrance and they will note that for you.

I don't do the buses, so I imagine someone else can answer for you.

MichelleAll it takes is faith, trust and a little bit of PIXIE DUST!!! Dream of Small worlds and large Mice!Ohana means family, family means nobody gets left behind. Or forgotten. This is my family. I found it, all on my own. Is little, and broken, but still good. Yeah, still good.
Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says "Oh Crap, she's up!"
1972 - 1986.... Various times while visiting Gram and Gramps!!! 1986 - Off Site Sheraton 192...With Beverly 1987 - Same but this time with Mom 1994 - Poly with Em 1996 - Disney Institute & Poly & Grand Floridian w/Mom 2000 - Grand Floridian w/M 2005 - AS Music & Grand Floridian w/Mom The GRAND Tour!!! Panama Canal WB Repo Cruise 5/2008
Old 11-12-2012, 06:03 AM   #1810
andyman8
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by k&a&c'smom View Post
Here's the photo of the open daybed!

Do you have to request for it to be opened or can you do it on your own?

Walt Disney World Resort

March 2014 (Day-Trip), January 2014 (Pop, AoA, & Half-Marathon), November 2013 (YC & W&D Half-Marathon), October 2013 (GF), June 2013 (Polynesian), January 2013 (POR & Half-Marathon) December 2012 (Rosen Shingle Creek), July 2012 (GF), June 2011 (CR), March 2011 (Day-Trip), July 2004 (GF), April 2004 (FW), December 2003 (DoubleTree & MVMCP), October 2003 (DoubleTree & MNSSHP), August 2003 (DoubleTree), June 2003 (WL), February 2003 (Embassy Suites) January 2003 (DoubleTree), September 2002 (AKL), July 2002 (DoubleTree), March 2002 (DoubleTree), January 2002 (CR), November 2001 (DoubleTree), May 2001 (DoubleTree), February 2001 (DoubleTree), January 2001 (DoubleTree), April 2000 (DoubleTree), February 1998 (Quality Inn & Suites)

Universal Orlando Resort
October 2012 (RPR), September 2011 (HRH), July 2010 (RPR), March 2010 (RPR), February 2010 (Day-Trip), September 2009 (HRH), January 2008 (HRH), June 2006 (PBH)
Disneyland Resort
August 2012 (Day-Trip), August 2009 (Day-Trip)
Upcoming
Walt Disney World June 2014 (GF for 5 Nights/5 Days)

Member of the PeopleMover Appreciation Society, Official MyMagic+ Info & FAQ Thread, and Printable Theme Park Maps
Old 11-12-2012, 08:09 AM   #1811
k&a&c'smom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dream Big Live Grand View Post
K&a&c'smom thanks for the welcome
Thanks for posting the daybed info, I was joking about the bags thing but it is good to know it is comfortable for adult sleeping.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VS85 View Post

Welcome! Glad you've joined us, and the DIS, congrats on booking your first stay on property. You'll love the Grand!

To add to what Tink rules posted - yes, the bus or cab is the only way to DTD, unless you rent a car. It takes about 30 minutes to get there, once you've boarded the bus, a little less by cab. I can't remember if the bus stops elsewhere during the day, but I feel like it makes a stop at Typhoon Lagoon? Someone else can probably answer that for sure, it's been a while since we've taken the bus to DTD - we usually grab a cab if we don't have a car. ETA: here is a link to a great tool for calculating travel times within WDW.

EWP is every night, yes it is usually at 9:15 (there is sometimes a delay for other water craft or early fireworks at MK). You can watch from the boat dock.

It is much easier to see Wishes from a window table, but some non-window tables have a decent view. As Tink rules suggested, just ask the CM when you check in.

All rooms in the main building are club level, no garden view rooms there, sorry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tink rules View Post
Marina view either way is good...

It may take a little longer to get a table at the window. I've waited for one - sometimes if you get there a little earlier, you can tell the CM at the entrance and they will note that for you.

I don't do the buses, so I imagine someone else can answer for you.
LOL about the buses, we are using them less and less. Used to be one of the big pluses for us at WDW, but it has been less magical the last few years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatar63 View Post
We checked inti the G F today
The have the area roped off to start the Gingerbread House and are starting it tomorrow!
YAY! Those headed to the World soon will be very happy to hear this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyman8 View Post
Do you have to request for it to be opened or can you do it on your own?
It can be opened fairly easily - there are loops for pulling it open, it took us about 2 minutes to figure it out. If the mousekeepers know you are using it for sleeping, they will make it up for you each night during turn down.

Last edited by k&a&c'smom; 11-12-2012 at 08:16 AM.
Old 11-12-2012, 08:12 AM   #1812
lala3291
DIS Veteran

We will be arriving at the GF tomorrow morning! I cannot wait, and I can't believe that our trip is just about here!

One quick question, does anyone know which stop the GF is for the Magical Express bus from the airport to the resort? GF was second stop for us last November, but I was wondering if that changed.

Thank you all for the information on this thread, it has been super helpful! I will try to post updates live from the GF this week as well!

March '98- BC March '00- BWI Feb. '04- BWI Sept '05 BC Nov. '06 -GF Oct. '07- GF August '08-GF Feb. '09- BWI May '10- BWI March '11- BC May '11- BWI July '11- BWI Nov. '11- GF Feb. '12- BC July '12- Poly Nov. '12- GF New Year's '13- Poly Feb. '13- POR June '13- WL August '13- YC Dec. '13- GF March '14- BC July '14- AOA
Old 11-12-2012, 08:29 AM   #1813
tatar63
Earning My Ears

We arrived yesterday by ME, we stopped at Poly first then GF.
Old 11-12-2012, 03:58 PM   #1814
lala3291
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Thanks for the info! We are so excited!

March '98- BC March '00- BWI Feb. '04- BWI Sept '05 BC Nov. '06 -GF Oct. '07- GF August '08-GF Feb. '09- BWI May '10- BWI March '11- BC May '11- BWI July '11- BWI Nov. '11- GF Feb. '12- BC July '12- Poly Nov. '12- GF New Year's '13- Poly Feb. '13- POR June '13- WL August '13- YC Dec. '13- GF March '14- BC July '14- AOA
Old 11-12-2012, 05:02 PM   #1815
sndral
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lala3291 View Post
We will be arriving at the GF tomorrow morning! I cannot wait, and I can't believe that our trip is just about here!

One quick question, does anyone know which stop the GF is for the Magical Express bus from the airport to the resort? GF was second stop for us last November, but I was wondering if that changed.

Thank you all for the information on this thread, it has been super helpful! I will try to post updates live from the GF this week as well!
Quote:
I was told by a bus driver once (I know - standing joke re: a bus driver @ WDW told me, but...) that because of the way the parking lots/roads are configured if the DME is stopping @ Poly and GF, they stop @ Poly first, if they did it GF first the bus would have to do a 3 pt turn around (or something like that.) I don't think the DME buses have set routes, though.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: