Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 11-10-2012, 10:00 PM   #946
kileybeth
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by portocall View Post
You seem intent on FQ, which might be part of the problem as the resorts are so different, yet similar. When we did POR in 09, mousekeeping was excellent. I had to stop reading reviews just because some people just look like they are happiest when they complain, some are genuine in that they don't like to complain but there really were some serious problems and without knowing the reviewer irl I find it hard to tell the difference between the two online. While I am inclined to believe the reviewer you quoted on the condition of the royal room she had, I also know someone very recently back who said her room was still like new. I think if you go with having a good time top on your mind and not wishing you were at another resort you probably will have a good time.

Ahh the written word While I did like FQ quite a bit I was not sold on it as our favorite place ever. My kiddos thought a bigger slide might be fun and they are frankly not happy with the jesters over at FQ!

I do believe you are correct that I must just stop trying to find out all there is to know about these new rooms before we go. No one else traveling with me really cares that much anyway and I'm sure the fireworks on the headboard will be enough to impress the DD7!

I truly love being on the river and find the boat oh so relaxing to get to DTD. Not a monorail but currently unable to pay for that!

I think as this is to be a more park intensive trip then any for a while we will be fine. Looking forward to just being in the Disney Magic Bubble again for a bit.

Anyone have a favorite meal at POR QS counter? Looking forward to trying something different there.

Can someone also help me with differences in distance to a foot bridge over to main building for drink refills, etc. Is Oak Manor closer then PP? It looks that way to me on the map?

Thank you!

AUG 1977, OCT 1985, OCT 1986, DEC 1988, DEC 1991, FEB 1995, JAN 2000, DEC 2001, FEB 2005, SEPT 2005, JAN 2007, SEPT 2007 and again SEPT 2007!MAR/APRIL 2008, SEPT 2008
Our 1st Cruise Ever on the Disney Magic 9/18-26/2009
Our 2nd Cruise on the Magic EBTA April 2010
WDW Dec 2010 WDW Jan 2011 WDW Jan 2012

And many more I am dreaming about and holding a onboard discount for!URL="http://www.disboards.com/"][/URL]
Old 11-10-2012, 10:18 PM   #947
MARAJIM
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyFreak06 View Post

POR 211 by disneyfreak0306, on Flickr
By the way, I meant to post this earlier, but this makes me know I made the right choice in resorts!!! So looking forward to the beauty of POR!
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-11-2012, 12:23 AM   #948
closetmickey
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kileybeth View Post

Anyone have a favorite meal at POR QS counter? Looking forward to trying something different there.

Thank you!
Loved the pasta bar! (and my Royal Room- and we usually stay Deluxe!).

4/14- 7nt Eastern on the FANTASY! 11/13- Weekend at DLR and stay at Disneyland Hotel
8/13- CR at WDW/ 4nt Cruise on DREAM! 6/12- Poly/POR Split Stay at WDW
8/11- DLR and stay at Grand Californian 1/11- 2 night Cruise to Nowhere on WONDER
10/10- DLR/ Mickey's Halloween Party and stay at Paradise Pier
2/10- WDW and a Week stay at the AKL 2/10- 4 Night Bahamas Cruise on DCL WONDER
6/09- DLR- Stay at Paradise Pier 4/09- DLR/ Club 33- Stay at Disneyland Hotel
10/08- Halloween Party at DCA 3/08- 3 Night Bahamas Cruise on DCL WONDER
2/08- WDW and stay at The Beach Club 10/07- Halloween Party at DCA and stay at GCH
Other trips to DLR- too many to count since 1969

Last edited by closetmickey; 11-11-2012 at 12:25 AM. Reason: Added info
Old 11-11-2012, 12:30 AM   #949
closetmickey
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott MC View Post
I'm going to ask a silly question here.....
Is there any chance of getting turndown service at POR? My last 4 trips to WDW have all been at deluxe resorts (several CL stays), and one of my favorite aspects of these resorts was coming back to the room freshened up and the bed turned down. Is there any chance of this happening at POR?

Thanks!
Not a silly question, at all! Having only stayed Deluxe before, that was the only thing we missed. But loved POR! Did wish I knew, however, to ask for softer pillows. Be sure to do that if you find the pillows terribly hard- as we did. Enjoy!

4/14- 7nt Eastern on the FANTASY! 11/13- Weekend at DLR and stay at Disneyland Hotel
8/11- DLR and stay at Grand Californian 1/11- 2 night Cruise to Nowhere on WONDER
2/08- WDW and stay at The Beach Club 10/07- Halloween Party at DCA and stay at GCH
Old 11-11-2012, 12:33 AM   #950
closetmickey
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvlife View Post
I was just wondering what building you were in? We are going in late January RGR, garden view. I was considering requesting a room close to bridge. Thinking that maybe I should request something farther out instead. I would think the closer rooms are just so much more popular.
We stayed in the front of Oak Manor, ground floor, garden view, and our room was in beautiful condition. We were there in August.

Last edited by closetmickey; 11-11-2012 at 12:37 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 11-11-2012, 01:46 AM   #951
tanialesser
Earning My Ears

first time at Disney

Hi everyone,
I am posting for the first time, after spending two weeks absorbing all the advice and great ideas up here. DH (if that means husband I used it correctly!) and I are taking our 2 kids on their first Disney trip ever and our first trips as adults and parents... And they don't know yet. We have royal room reservations POR for 10 days starting on Nov 26 and my daughter will celebrate her 6th bday with a bbb makeover than dinner at Cinderella's table.

Has anyone here ever surprised their kids with a trip? If so when did you tell them? Our flight leaves at 6am so we have to be at the airport by 4 to clear customs. Any ideas on how to wake them up, would you tell them at the airport or before we leave the house? DH and I dont agree so looking for ideas!

Additionally the inlaws decided to join us and booked the same room type and had the reservations linked with a connecting door request. I was wondering if anyone has stayed in the royal guest room with a linking door and had a suggestion on what to request? Our kids love to swim, so we plan on spending a lot of time at the large pool.

I had read on another thread someone had received a phone call from Mickey on their birthday, is this something I can set up in advance, or is it automatic? If anyone has advice on this please let me know

Long first post, but getting so excited I can barely sleep!! Thanks for any help!
Old 11-11-2012, 08:19 AM   #952
Venomhatch
DisDads #708
Cast Member - Resort
It's a growing curiosity
I got carted off in the meat wagon

Location: Originally from Newport News, VA but Home is Kissimmee, FL

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanialesser View Post
Has anyone here ever surprised their kids with a trip? If so when did you tell them? Any ideas on how to wake them up, would you tell them at the airport or before we leave the house? DH and I dont agree so looking for ideas!

Additionally the inlaws decided to join us and booked the same room type and had the reservations linked with a connecting door request. I was wondering if anyone has stayed in the royal guest room with a linking door and had a suggestion on what to request? Our kids love to swim, so we plan on spending a lot of time at the large pool.

I had read on another thread someone had received a phone call from Mickey on their birthday, is this something I can set up in advance, or is it automatic? If anyone has advice on this please let me know
Wow I summed up the questions the best I could. Most members on here I believe have either tried or achieved a surprise. We as part of our lil surprise waited til the night before and packed all the portable electronics, like Nintendo DS video games, her laptop, and other things she likes to do on trips. Then when we were getting on the plane we told her that we had to take a plane trip to Tennessee. Then when we landed in Orlando we told her we were just making a pit stop, so when they made everyone de-plane we told her in the terminal then and she was blown away. She had no idea. Getting your kids up that early may just believe anything you tell them.

I know you can talk to the concierge about arranging phone calls. Also some restaurants you can whisper to them about the birthday and they will have characters will either sometimes call or come by the table depending where you are eating. But make sure when you check in you ask for a birthday button, for your child. CMs or Cast Members will say "Happy Birthday" if they see the button making it very personal Happy Day for her.

PMing you about the details regarding the connecting rooms.
Old 11-11-2012, 08:51 AM   #953
Hoodie
Going to BC and GF with one week's planning
The snappers go for you and the painteds pee on you. Either way, they never seemed very grateful!

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvlife View Post
I was just wondering what building you were in? We are going in late January RGR, garden view. I was considering requesting a room close to bridge. Thinking that maybe I should request something farther out instead. I would think the closer rooms are just so much more popular.
I'm the poster that noted the "worn out" look and horrendous mousekeeping (for the record, mousekeeping varies greatly with the mousekeeper. For instance, my father had to work one day so he put out the privacy please notice. Down by the pool someone else had put that out as well. At the end of the day, the one by the pool had 2 large bags hanging on the door with a note that said basically that they were including fresh linens, toiletries and coffee service but didn't want to disturb them. Our mousekeeper didn't do that for my parents' room. She just skipped it entirely. We also had vastly different experiences from the weekend service vs. the last 2 days we were there. I'm guessing different mousekeepers.) We were in Oak Manor (garden view so yes, it exists!). Like the other poster stated, it's like they rushed completion and skipped details. Other than the one bolster that was wearing on one end, ALL the worn/sloppiness was in the bathroom.

did it ruin our vacation? No. Would it prevent me from going back to POR? No. Does it provide a ton of ammunition for people who are looking for reasons to complain? Absolutely. I'm not one who goes looking for issues so when I notice them it's pretty glaring. This was more of a heads up that if things like chipped paint and sloppy paint/grout are going to ruin your vacation, be prepared. If not, over look the shortcuts they took and enjoy the room! The fireworks headboard alone was enough for my kiddos to be happy and that's all that matters.
Old 11-11-2012, 08:58 AM   #954
Scott MC
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by closetmickey View Post
Not a silly question, at all! Having only stayed Deluxe before, that was the only thing we missed. But loved POR! Did wish I knew, however, to ask for softer pillows. Be sure to do that if you find the pillows terribly hard- as we did. Enjoy!
Hey...thanks for the non-sarcastic answer.

I'm actually very excited about staying at the resort, as I have happy memories from staying there as a kid (when it was Dixie Landings) with my family. It was just a question...and ya know what? I might still ask! Ya never know!

I do hope the pillows are good...my neck is touchy and needs a good pillow. Maybe I should just bring my own.....hmmm....
Old 11-11-2012, 09:13 AM   #955
poohmickey
Mouseketeer

Location: West Coast - more than 3,000 miles from WDW - but that won't stop us!

Thank you![/QUOTE]

We love the pasta bar!!!
Old 11-11-2012, 09:26 AM   #956
FigmentChick
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by poohmickey View Post

Thank you!

We love the pasta bar!!![/QUOTE]

My favorie is making your own salad. I practically live at the local Saladwork (they know my CYO by heart....sad, I know). I usually include the steak in my salad and it is so nice knowing everything is fresh. I'm far from a health nut, but it's just my favorite thing to eat (in WDW or anywhere). My daughter wants me to tell you her favorite is the pasta bar.

Have a great day!!!

Mar 2006 & Oct 2007 - off-site
Oct 2009 & Oct 2011 - POR, Oct 2013 - OKW
Old 11-11-2012, 10:12 AM   #957
bluejasmine
DIS Veteran

I'm excited to try the pasta bar! Has anyone done the yogurt/cereal bar?

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards
ASMo 2003/2005, ASMu 2009,Pop 2006/2013, SSR 2008, Poly CL 2010/2011/2013, GF CL 2012, AKL 2011, CR 2011, BC CL 2012, POR 2005/2012, CBR 2011, DCL Fantasy 2012, Hilton DTD 2011(2x) Best Western DTD 2010/2012
Old 11-11-2012, 10:15 AM   #958
hollygolitely93
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanialesser View Post
Hi everyone,
I am posting for the first time, after spending two weeks absorbing all the advice and great ideas up here. DH (if that means husband I used it correctly!) and I are taking our 2 kids on their first Disney trip ever and our first trips as adults and parents... And they don't know yet. We have royal room reservations POR for 10 days starting on Nov 26 and my daughter will celebrate her 6th bday with a bbb makeover than dinner at Cinderella's table.

Has anyone here ever surprised their kids with a trip? If so when did you tell them? Our flight leaves at 6am so we have to be at the airport by 4 to clear customs. Any ideas on how to wake them up, would you tell them at the airport or before we leave the house? DH and I dont agree so looking for ideas!

Long first post, but getting so excited I can barely sleep!! Thanks for any help!
Sounds fun. We took our five year old last year same time and surprised him morning of. He knew we were going but not exactly when. So, I got a jack in the box but it was a Mickey in the box and put in his car seat the night before. In morning we woke him and told him it was time to get ready for school. He was tired but didn't pick up that it was 4am. When we put him in the car seat he opened the jack in box...to Mickey holding a sign saying "we are going to disney". I then had mic key's twice upon a Christmas in the DVD player to watch on way to airport to set the mood. He was thrilled (but still sleepy). Ha!
Old 11-11-2012, 10:21 AM   #959
hollygolitely93
DIS Veteran

Buses in morning?

For Magic Kingdom...

If we want to get to park around 8am when should we go to bus stop? We would go to the main one by lobby as we would grab breakfast first.

Also, what time does breakfast place open up?
Old 11-11-2012, 10:59 AM   #960
lucifie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollygolitely93 View Post
Sounds fun. We took our five year old last year same time and surprised him morning of. He knew we were going but not exactly when. So, I got a jack in the box but it was a Mickey in the box and put in his car seat the night before. In morning we woke him and told him it was time to get ready for school. He was tired but didn't pick up that it was 4am. When we put him in the car seat he opened the jack in box...to Mickey holding a sign saying "we are going to disney". I then had mic key's twice upon a Christmas in the DVD player to watch on way to airport to set the mood. He was thrilled (but still sleepy). Ha!
I love this idea! We're going in January, but it's going to be the kids' "big" Christmas present and I've been trying to think of a fun way to tell them to present it.
Closed Thread

Tags
faq, faqs, por, port orleans, port orleans riverside

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: