Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies > Doing the Happy Dance!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 11-11-2012, 04:49 AM   #1636
mom24mouseketeers
Earning My Ears

ok, so the last time I posted in this thread we were on page like 63! I unfortunately was sidelined on my planning by my college semester taking up 90% of my free time, but I have completed 2 classes and only have one remaining class that ends Nov. 25th.

And THEN as if that wasn't enough - I was hospitalized with Kidney Stones / Adhesions and now have to see a general surgeon. Just Great! I told the docs that no matter what I needed to be 100% by April 26th and that included any physical therapy! So we shall see!

My ADR time came and went the last week of October - and tonight I am sitting down to do some. I'm having a little trouble with where I want to eat at DHS though - I keep thinking 50s cafe only because we have never eaten there and although I would be ok with Sci-Fi - I don't think my little ones would.

Any ideas???

T
Old 11-11-2012, 07:14 AM   #1637
awfullybigadventure
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom24mouseketeers View Post
ok, so the last time I posted in this thread we were on page like 63! I unfortunately was sidelined on my planning by my college semester taking up 90% of my free time, but I have completed 2 classes and only have one remaining class that ends Nov. 25th.

And THEN as if that wasn't enough - I was hospitalized with Kidney Stones / Adhesions and now have to see a general surgeon. Just Great! I told the docs that no matter what I needed to be 100% by April 26th and that included any physical therapy! So we shall see!

My ADR time came and went the last week of October - and tonight I am sitting down to do some. I'm having a little trouble with where I want to eat at DHS though - I keep thinking 50s cafe only because we have never eaten there and although I would be ok with Sci-Fi - I don't think my little ones would.

Any ideas???

T
I wish I could help, but I was in the same boat as you! I ended up making an ADR for 50's Prime Time because I know we will like the theming and it sounds like it could be fun for the kids. Just hope we like to food. I'm a little nervous about it!

Sorry you have had so much to deal with! Disney planning should be a nice break from reality for you. Hope everything goes well with the kidney stones and your class!
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-11-2012, 07:26 AM   #1638
pwdebbie
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Any ideas???

T
We are trying 50s Prime Time for the first time this trip. We did Sci-Fi once and really did not care for it.

DHS really lacks good dining choices. My niece and her family were there mid-October and her husband wrote this here on the DIS about The Writer's Stop: "This is going to be the Starbucks location for MGM. There were Starbucks people along with imagineers in there taking pics with blueprints and what not." (He refuses to call it DHS.)

Perhaps Starbucks would offer a better dining option, even if it isn't TS. I'd rather see them in DHS than on Main Street in the MK.

Last edited by pwdebbie; 11-11-2012 at 07:35 AM.
Old 11-11-2012, 07:47 AM   #1639
TJDisneymama
DIS Veteran

Quote:
e. I'm having a little trouble with where I want to eat at DHS though - I keep thinking 50s cafe only because we have never eaten there and although I would be ok with Sci-Fi - I don't think my little ones would.

Any ideas???

T
did you look at the menu for 50's Prime Time? I thought about trying it this time but once I saw the menu, ditched that idea. Nothing looked good for me or the kids on it.

Do you think the kids would be scared at Sci Fi?

I also had trouble coming up with a meal at DHS this time, so we're going to end the day by taking the boat over to the Beach Club and eat at Cape May
*4/2012: Mother/son trip ~ CBR *4/2013: 2nd Family trip ~ AoA Nemo/Disney Dream *8/2013: Kid-Free trip ~ YC
*8/2014: 2nd Kid-Free trip ~ WL
NEXT UP: *4/15: 3rd Family Trip ~ CSR!*

Last edited by TJDisneymama; 11-11-2012 at 08:32 AM.
Old 11-11-2012, 08:29 AM   #1640
Jays2013
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JillianSam View Post
Hi, I'm new to Disboards!

Just read through all 109 pages to be sure I didn't miss anything...
But wanted to join in On this April planning.
We will be there April 23rd-May 3rd @AOA, Cars suite as of right now. And then another 3 nights off site for Universal. It will be myself (26), Mom (52), Sister (24), Niece (4), and Son (2)
Our first time going in April, we are usually late fall people. And the kiddos second trip to The World!
We're going to be there nearly the same times! We're in AoA Finding Nemo.

Me DH DS1 (9) DS2 (5)

---
April 2013 Art of Animation Nemo
Feb. 2006 Pop Century
Nov. 2003 Coronado
Sept. 2002 Animal Kingdom Lodge (honeymoon!)
Three trips as a child,
including one stay at Port Orleans French Quarter
Old 11-11-2012, 08:31 AM   #1641
TJDisneymama
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ja23k View Post
I'm guessing you spent the required 2,000 in the first month and this was why? It's disappointing that they promote it as being enough for two round trips when a short trip from Boston to Orlando is not even covered. OR look on the bright side and get 2 one ways and just stay there Very good tip on needing to go to NH for nonstop. Are you flying out of NH? Are you glad you got the card or are you feeling short changed because it did not cover both round trips?
yes, it was no problem spending the $2,000 because I used it to to pay for our trip & cruise (well, not the whole trip put about $3500 down). So between the 50,000 bonus and the purchases I made and a couple other bonus points I got for surveys and newsletters and whatnot, I now have 57,000 points.

UGH!!!! I just checked the flight again that I need and if I put in 1 passenger, the flight is 20,160 points. If I put in 2 or more, it goes up to 24,420 points. I was thinking I could just buy 3,000 more points to get the 60k needed for 3 tickets, but now it looks like I will have to buy 13,000 points. Which costs $325. So no sense in paying $325 for points when the flight itself is $350............

Crapp, there must be only 1 seat left for $350/20,000 points because if I put in 2+ passengers it goes up to $420. So I guess the points are better than nothing b/c if I was paying out of pocket I'd be paying $350 + $420(3) = $1610. But with the points I'll only pay $350 + $420 = $770 (assuming someone doesn't come along and buy that last cheap ticket before I do).

Can't believe buying airfare is this complicated.
*4/2012: Mother/son trip ~ CBR *4/2013: 2nd Family trip ~ AoA Nemo/Disney Dream *8/2013: Kid-Free trip ~ YC
*8/2014: 2nd Kid-Free trip ~ WL
NEXT UP: *4/15: 3rd Family Trip ~ CSR!*
Old 11-11-2012, 09:49 AM   #1642
Mousemommy1
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Any ideas???

T
Sci Fi is the only TS restaurant we will eat at in DHS. We had bad experiences at both 50's PT and H&V.

At Sci Fi, we stick with the burgers...but beware...the burgers in combination with the delicious milkshakes is a lot of food!!!! We can never finish it all!

ETA: our girls were not scared at all at Sci-Fi, they found most of the clips to be very silly (and they are)

PAST TRIPS:
JUL 1985 OFFSITE • JUL 1989 OFFSITE • MAR 2000 ASMO • SEP 2000 ASMU • SEP 2002 ASSP • NOV 2009 POP • FEB 2011 CBR • JUL 2012 WL CL • APR 2013 YC CL • SEP 2013 POFQ • AUG 2014 BC CL
Old 11-11-2012, 10:35 AM   #1643
ja23k
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuroraRora

Great to hear!! I didn't even realize it was the F&G festival when I started planning to go in April and when I realized, I was worried the crowds might be high or that it would get in the way of a lot of regular Disney things. But from all the research I've been doing on it today, it's starting to look more like an added bonus!
It's definitely just an added bonus. I don't think it has ever changed my park experience except that the parks are covered with gorgeous flowers. It definitely makes it feel like spring. I know there are events going on, but you have to look for them so they are definitely not in the way of normal experiences there. I found it to be way less crowded than going in Feb, and about the same as going in May.
Old 11-11-2012, 10:50 AM   #1644
ja23k
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom24mouseketeers

Any ideas???

T
I really like 50s prime time. I really hate the sci-fi because of the terrible quality of food. 50s is fun and has basic home cooked style food but it is done very well. I always get meatloaf with a peanut butter and jelly milk shake (YUM). Not my top TS choice in Disney, but definitely my top for HS. I agree with previous posters that said HS really lacks for dining experiences. We actually arranged our schedule this time so we don't have any TS meals at HS. We like 50s, but always eat there. We want something new this time. We are leaving early and going to Epcot for dinner. Could also take a bus to a resort and eat there. If you don't have a park hopper this is not a good option though. 50s and the starring rolls bakery are really the only two places I find worth eating at in this park. Agreed - Would have been a great idea to put Starbucks here and leave the beloved MS Bakery alone. (So upset about that!)
Old 11-11-2012, 10:55 AM   #1645
ja23k
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJDisneymama

yes, it was no problem spending the $2,000 because I used it to to pay for our trip & cruise (well, not the whole trip put about $3500 down). So between the 50,000 bonus and the purchases I made and a couple other bonus points I got for surveys and newsletters and whatnot, I now have 57,000 points.

UGH!!!! I just checked the flight again that I need and if I put in 1 passenger, the flight is 20,160 points. If I put in 2 or more, it goes up to 24,420 points. I was thinking I could just buy 3,000 more points to get the 60k needed for 3 tickets, but now it looks like I will have to buy 13,000 points. Which costs $325. So no sense in paying $325 for points when the flight itself is $350............

Crapp, there must be only 1 seat left for $350/20,000 points because if I put in 2+ passengers it goes up to $420. So I guess the points are better than nothing b/c if I was paying out of pocket I'd be paying $350 + $420(3) = $1610. But with the points I'll only pay $350 + $420 = $770 (assuming someone doesn't come along and buy that last cheap ticket before I do).

Can't believe buying airfare is this complicated.
That sounds like such a pain! (But for saving 900ish it's worth it). I wonder if there will even be any affordable flights left by the time I get the points (haven't even decided to apply yet). I thought of charging the trip on the card, but I wanted to do it on my citi card because of all the travel insurance benefits I get on it. Any travel insurance on the southwest card? You are so right - flights are such a headache! It's the hardest part of planning, in my opinion. Fingers crossed that you get your affordable flights!
Old 11-11-2012, 11:02 AM   #1646
LexiC123
on this, our spaceship earth
makes me want to jab candy canes into my ears

Just booked our April trip! After 12 days with no power, all I want to do is escape from reality...even if it is 5 months away.

DH and I will be at the Swan from April 20-26. This will be our first spring trip in many years, and we're really looking forward to the Flower & Garden Festival, and seeing the new Fantasyland.
WDW: 6/72 offsite.....5/93 offsite.....10/94 OKW.....11/95 BC.....10/96 BWV.....10/97 BC.....3/98 CBR.....10/98 WL.....5/99 YC & GF.....8/99 DI (now SSR).....9/99 CR.....3/00 BC.....4/00 YC.....8/00 Poly.....4/01 BC.....7/01 YC.....8/02 BC.....9/09 Dolphin.....9/10 Swan.....10/11 Swan & Dolphin.....4/13 Swan & BC.....
12/14 Swan

DL: 3/71 offsite.....6/98 Pacific Hotel (now Paradise Pier).....12/00 Disneyland Hotel
Old 11-11-2012, 01:30 PM   #1647
pwdebbie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexiC123 View Post
Just booked our April trip! After 12 days with no power, all I want to do is escape from reality...even if it is 5 months away.

DH and I will be at the Swan from April 20-26. This will be our first spring trip in many years, and we're really looking forward to the Flower & Garden Festival, and seeing the new Fantasyland.
Yes, you do need an escape from reality. I'm so sorry you have had to go through this, but now you can look forward to something nice.
Old 11-11-2012, 11:01 PM   #1648
JillianSam
Earning My Ears

Just booked our airfare!
$1150 round trip for the 5 of us. It makes it feel so much more real, no going back now!
Old 11-11-2012, 11:04 PM   #1649
mom24mouseketeers
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by awfullybigadventure View Post
I wish I could help, but I was in the same boat as you! I ended up making an ADR for 50's Prime Time because I know we will like the theming and it sounds like it could be fun for the kids. Just hope we like to food. I'm a little nervous about it!

Sorry you have had so much to deal with! Disney planning should be a nice break from reality for you. Hope everything goes well with the kidney stones and your class!
Thanks - I need the Disney planning for sure! I decided on 50s PT anyway - there is always chicken! lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwdebbie View Post
We are trying 50s Prime Time for the first time this trip. We did Sci-Fi once and really did not care for it.

DHS really lacks good dining choices. My niece and her family were there mid-October and her husband wrote this here on the DIS about The Writer's Stop: "This is going to be the Starbucks location for MGM. There were Starbucks people along with imagineers in there taking pics with blueprints and what not." (He refuses to call it DHS.)

Perhaps Starbucks would offer a better dining option, even if it isn't TS. I'd rather see them in DHS than on Main Street in the MK.
My husband will be excited about Starbucks! lol I always call it MGM! LOL I had to change to DHS just for these boards!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJDisneymama View Post
did you look at the menu for 50's Prime Time? I thought about trying it this time but once I saw the menu, ditched that idea. Nothing looked good for me or the kids on it.

Do you think the kids would be scared at Sci Fi?

I also had trouble coming up with a meal at DHS this time, so we're going to end the day by taking the boat over to the Beach Club and eat at Cape May
I looked into leaving and going to a resort - but we decided the 50s PT - yeah I looked at the menu - I'm from the south so it seemed like southern cooking my mom would do to us. Like I said already - there's always chicken!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mousemommy1 View Post
Sci Fi is the only TS restaurant we will eat at in DHS. We had bad experiences at both 50's PT and H&V.

At Sci Fi, we stick with the burgers...but beware...the burgers in combination with the delicious milkshakes is a lot of food!!!! We can never finish it all!

ETA: our girls were not scared at all at Sci-Fi, they found most of the clips to be very silly (and they are)
We had a bad experience at H&V last year - so I understand - I am going to give it a try. Yeah I was worried about the movies - my youngest would probably cry at even the slightest monster. She cried in the Tower of Terror...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ja23k View Post
I really like 50s prime time. I really hate the sci-fi because of the terrible quality of food. 50s is fun and has basic home cooked style food but it is done very well. I always get meatloaf with a peanut butter and jelly milk shake (YUM). Not my top TS choice in Disney, but definitely my top for HS. I agree with previous posters that said HS really lacks for dining experiences. We actually arranged our schedule this time so we don't have any TS meals at HS. We like 50s, but always eat there. We want something new this time. We are leaving early and going to Epcot for dinner. Could also take a bus to a resort and eat there. If you don't have a park hopper this is not a good option though. 50s and the starring rolls bakery are really the only two places I find worth eating at in this park. Agreed - Would have been a great idea to put Starbucks here and leave the beloved MS Bakery alone. (So upset about that!)
Well I definitely decided 50s, I agree with everyone that DHS is the hardest one to book an ADR at because of the choices - Im not looking forward to the QS there either to be honest! But we shall see - there's always hopping available! Is starring rolls where the carrot cake cookie is?? I really want to try that!
Old 11-12-2012, 12:04 AM   #1650
PrinceAdam
Earning My Ears

Staying an extra day...till the 23rd now. Staying at POP
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: