DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC Member Services
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-10-2012, 06:14 PM   #16
JimMIA
A little Miami humor...
 
JimMIA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Miami, Wyndham Great Smoky Mountains, and EVER (Everglades National Park)
Posts: 11,492

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolMN View Post
For those of us who have been members for some time and know little or nothing about trading, I think an occasional trade is a good use of the points we won't use for a DVC trip in a given year.
I think there are two separate questions here.

The first is OP's indication that the option to exchange via RCI is a plus to consider in their purchasing decision. Although she says they understand the limitations, etc, I would still argue that this perk is not a valid consideration in making a decision to purchase DVC...or any other timeshare. It is a limited benefit which could go away with one stroke of the Mouse's pen -- AND...there are much less expensive ways to get much better exchange opportunities.

That said, Carol's point is the value of an occasional exchange for the existing DVC owner. For someone who already owns DVC points, can't use them despite banking etc, and wants to use them for an RCI exchange -- I think the question of comparable value really doesn't matter much.

In ANY timeshare system, when you exchange out you are generally getting less value than if you had used your timeshare within that company's internal system. Although the quality of the lodging you get does matter, I think the most important thing is whether you are satisfied, or not satisfied, with the accommodations you get in the exchange. If you are satisfied, who cares about the relative "value?"

I'll give you an example.

Oct 13-20, we exchanged into a small timeshare in Cape Cod through Wyndham/RCI. Why? Because we were taking a family trip to see some aging relatives in the Boston area and wanted to be based on Cape Cod because that's where everyone was going to be. We got a one-bedroom for my family and a studio for a cousin and her husband. The lodgings were WAY below Wyndham standards, but they were spotless, the amenities were reasonable, the staff was very gracious, and we were satisfied with the value to us that we received for the points that we had not been able to use anyway.

We had a spectacular trip, spent many, many hours of quality time with family we love, ate way too much lobsta and chowda, and left talking about doing it again next year. To me, that's a good exchange.
JimMIA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 06:50 PM   #17
maiapapaya
Totally DIS-tracted!
 
maiapapaya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: southwestern ON
Posts: 2,497

At the risk of repeating myself, we aren't swayed into purchasing DVC or not because of RCI exchanges, but if we can't/don't want to use our points it's good to know if we have options and what they are (other DVC locations, RCI, what ever ...)

I don't quite understand why you say it's a good use of points for someone who is an "existing" DVC owner, when it's a perceived value if for some reason ppl can't have or don't want a Disney trip one year for what ever reason, but not someone who is "purchasing".

My original question was simply about whether availability is an issue.
__________________

me DH DD23 DD12 DD9 Finnegan
1971 offsite ~ 1988 CBR ~ 2009 Poly ~ 2010 Poly ~ 2011 Poly CL ~ 2012 Poly CL ~ 2013 Poly ~ 2014 Fantasy Western Caribbean ~ 2014 GF ~ 2015 Fantasy Eastern Caribbean
maiapapaya is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 11-10-2012, 08:34 PM   #18
Dean
DIS Veteran
 
Dean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 31,789

Quote:
Originally Posted by maiapapaya View Post
I don't quite understand why you say it's a good use of points for someone who is an "existing" DVC owner, when it's a perceived value if for some reason ppl can't have or don't want a Disney trip one year for what ever reason, but not someone who is "purchasing".
It's not a good value for anyone who exchanges DVC but it can be a reasonable value in some situations. The difference between already owning with extra points and buying to exchange, and it's a big one, is anyone purchasing has the opportunity to judge how many points they need and buy accordingly. Buying 50 points or so less going in makes a HUGE difference long term in the costs of owning DVC. Realize that the few things in RCI that would truly be a good value are dramatically unlikely to be available.
__________________
Dean
Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 09:31 PM   #19
MulanMom
DIS Veteran
 
MulanMom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Lehigh Valley, PA
Posts: 1,338

Yes, with RCI, availability can and will be an issue.

We never purchased DVC to use for exchanging. When we originally purchased in '93, DVC was supposed to be much like Marriott and build timeshare properties throughout the world. We knew the mantra of DVC points' best value is to use for a DVC stay/resort. We were always in the position of borrowing points, so we never thought we'd ever get to the point of having to do something with points before they expire. We ran into that situation a few years ago. A member services rep suggested depositing into RCI system and we had up to 2 years to book a vacation in that service. I knew a little something about timeshares, having joined TUG and rented timeshare weeks directly from owners of other properties. And from a SIL who bought into a caribbean property about the same time we did DVC. Anyway, I was very scared to use it. I didn't know there could be a floating request. Long story short, we are in a situation where we have to use the RCI week or lose it.

Just booked a stay at an RCI exchange for the week following Thanksgiving. The RCI point cost is 160, and I've got to tell you, the exchange in no way is even. WDW DVC is a desirable location and property. That used to mean something. But it's been my experience that 160 pts DVC is equated with 160 pts. RCI. Really? What about being on WDW property? What about the value of having buses take you anywhere? What about the value of Extra magic hours? That doesn't add into the value anywhere. All I can say is at least I'm getting something rather than losing my points altogether. I won't let that happen again.

The Disney Collection isn't the best value use of points, but being able to use my points that have built up again for a week's stay at the Poly during Christmas is a heckuva lot better than the RCI exchange!!! And that's in reference to the RCI gold and silver crown properties!!!
MulanMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 10:03 PM   #20
maiapapaya
Totally DIS-tracted!
 
maiapapaya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: southwestern ON
Posts: 2,497

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean View Post
It's not a good value for anyone who exchanges DVC but it can be a reasonable value in some situations. The difference between already owning with extra points and buying to exchange, and it's a big one, is anyone purchasing has the opportunity to judge how many points they need and buy accordingly. Buying 50 points or so less going in makes a HUGE difference long term in the costs of owning DVC. Realize that the few things in RCI that would truly be a good value are dramatically unlikely to be available.
Our intent would be to determine what we would like from our home resort for a yearly trip to WDW (ie. season, type of villa, our normal length of stay) and buy points accordingly. We would not be buying points with the intent to trade or looking at what we would need for a trade. If a situation came up where we would use that option we would look to book according to what our DVC points would afford us.
__________________

me DH DD23 DD12 DD9 Finnegan
1971 offsite ~ 1988 CBR ~ 2009 Poly ~ 2010 Poly ~ 2011 Poly CL ~ 2012 Poly CL ~ 2013 Poly ~ 2014 Fantasy Western Caribbean ~ 2014 GF ~ 2015 Fantasy Eastern Caribbean
maiapapaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 06:48 AM   #21
Dean
DIS Veteran
 
Dean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 31,789

Quote:
Originally Posted by MulanMom View Post
Yes, with RCI, availability can and will be an issue.

We never purchased DVC to use for exchanging. When we originally purchased in '93, DVC was supposed to be much like Marriott and build timeshare properties throughout the world. We knew the mantra of DVC points' best value is to use for a DVC stay/resort. We were always in the position of borrowing points, so we never thought we'd ever get to the point of having to do something with points before they expire. We ran into that situation a few years ago. A member services rep suggested depositing into RCI system and we had up to 2 years to book a vacation in that service. I knew a little something about timeshares, having joined TUG and rented timeshare weeks directly from owners of other properties. And from a SIL who bought into a caribbean property about the same time we did DVC. Anyway, I was very scared to use it. I didn't know there could be a floating request. Long story short, we are in a situation where we have to use the RCI week or lose it.

Just booked a stay at an RCI exchange for the week following Thanksgiving. The RCI point cost is 160, and I've got to tell you, the exchange in no way is even. WDW DVC is a desirable location and property. That used to mean something. But it's been my experience that 160 pts DVC is equated with 160 pts. RCI. Really? What about being on WDW property? What about the value of having buses take you anywhere? What about the value of Extra magic hours? That doesn't add into the value anywhere. All I can say is at least I'm getting something rather than losing my points altogether. I won't let that happen again.

The Disney Collection isn't the best value use of points, but being able to use my points that have built up again for a week's stay at the Poly during Christmas is a heckuva lot better than the RCI exchange!!! And that's in reference to the RCI gold and silver crown properties!!!
I don't see any blame for RCI, or DVC for that matter, in terms of trades and trade power as the current system is set up. I see no blame for RCI in any way on this subject though I do disagree with how DVD has decided to align themselves with RCI (and II before) by limiting choices and access. With II DVC was treated the SAME as any similarly rated resort in the area. RCI has raised the value of DVC somewhat, at least on the inbound side, it's not clear if they've done the same on the outbound direction. It really SHOULDN'T matter though with RCI since DVC is treated more as a points resort though with hybrid features to weeks as well. Unfortunately RCI has less top choices than does II.

I think many DVC members tend to significantly overestimate DVC's real value and demand in terms of timeshares trades both inbound and outbound. There are many resorts and times that are in higher demand than DVC where RCI is concerned.

Choices are always good but in terms of a current purchase, the cost for those choices is dramatic if related to any type of trading. It'd be like buying the extended warranty on a car and paying an extra 25-50% of more. It's nice to have if it's included at the same price but definitely not worth paying much for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maiapapaya View Post
Our intent would be to determine what we would like from our home resort for a yearly trip to WDW (ie. season, type of villa, our normal length of stay) and buy points accordingly. We would not be buying points with the intent to trade or looking at what we would need for a trade. If a situation came up where we would use that option we would look to book according to what our DVC points would afford us.
I'm hearing you say 2 different things. One is that you want to buy points to use at DVC, but above you also talked about buying to trade about once every 5 years. Reading between the lines in this note it seems like you're still having those thoughts in terms of buying what you'd need for DVC every year but maybe taking a break every few years and still using the points. If that's the case and you're buying a large enough points contract (150 or more with my suggestions) by just buying what you'd use at DVC using banking and borrowing, I'd recommend you simply buy less points. Maybe enough to go 4 times in 5 years.

My thoughts would vary slightly based on your expected usage. For example, if you're looking at say Magic season for a week in a 2 BR, you do not need extra points above your anticipated needed when you calculate. OTOH, if you'd looking at a studio adventure season, you likely should consider a cushion of around 10% or maybe even a little more. Now it may be that the perfect contract otherwise has a little more points than you calculated you need, that's one of the issues of resale. In general, it's better to have a little too few points than too many from a financial and long term plan. Esp if we're talking 160-270 points not accounted for every 4-5 years.

It's also my experience that many people long term need fewer points than they thought they would. I've also seen a trend where those buying with the idea of trading occasionally are likely to trade more than they thought. Once you get up to every 3 years or so it's often better to own another timeshare for trading than other choices. The only way DVC is likely to be a reasonable vehicle for trade is if they allow access to all resorts, allow members to request larger units than deposited, allow access to RCI directly, allow the members to pick the deposits and have reduced costs (number of points) inside the 45 day window.

The idea that DVC is a top option and a poor choice to trade isn't unique to DVC, the same principles apply to any top end, high cost, high demand timeshare. That's the reason I rent my high end options the years I don't use them.
__________________
Dean
Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 02:45 PM   #22
Lorelei528
DIS Veteran
 
Lorelei528's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 2,280

Quote:
Originally Posted by MulanMom View Post
We ran into that situation a few years ago. A member services rep suggested depositing into RCI system and we had up to 2 years to book a vacation in that service. Long story short, we are in a situation where we have to use the RCI week or lose it.

Just booked a stay at an RCI exchange for the week following Thanksgiving. The RCI point cost is 160, and I've got to tell you, the exchange in no way is even. WDW DVC is a desirable location and property. That used to mean something. But it's been my experience that 160 pts DVC is equated with 160 pts. RCI. Really? What about being on WDW property? What about the value of having buses take you anywhere? What about the value of Extra magic hours? That doesn't add into the value anywhere. All I can say is at least I'm getting something rather than losing my points altogether. I won't let that happen again.
We found ourselves in this same predicament...we have booked the Quarter House in New Orleans for Christmas week. Which was exactly what I wanted. I have seen some great reviews and there another DIS DVCer who traded for the same property and gave it a good review.
We get to stay right in the French Quarter on our DVC points.
We did buy into DVC because we can also trade out but this is our first time doing it (members since '09). It's not something we plan on doing often, but it is nice to have the option. We know it might not be the best use of points, but for us, it works. We financed our DVC, so the $ is coming out of our pockets anyway, to not have to save up for accomodations really helps us.

Basically we go to WDW every year or every other year and so far we love our DVC! Without it, we would not be able to afford Deluxe properties for 7+ nights!
__________________
May 1 2009 SBP/Wine Room@Jiko/Morocco
Our Disney Wedding/Disneymoon PJ/TR Our Disney Wedding/Disneymoon PJ/TR

May 2014 (BLT), Dec 2013 (BLT/AKL), Sept/Oct '12 (AKV/DCL), Jan '11 (AKL),Sept/Oct '10 (AKL/BLT/DCL/BWV), Sept '09 (BLT), April/May '09 (BW/AKL), Sept/Oct 08 (POP/AKL), Nov 03 (ASMovies/AKL), Nov 01 (CBR), Nov 97 (Disney Village Resort), '87 (off property), '77 (CR)
Lorelei528 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 12:47 AM   #23
MulanMom
DIS Veteran
 
MulanMom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Lehigh Valley, PA
Posts: 1,338

Glad it worked out well for you. The only resort we pulled up in PA is Hershey and that was totally booked. Manhattan Club is another we could use and is reasonably nearby and that was always booked as well! I'm sure we would have made out better if we put the time into learning the system and could determine what we'd like to do 2 years out!!! ;-)
MulanMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 08:45 AM   #24
Brian Noble
His Curmudgeonly Highness
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: The People's Republic of Ann Arbor, MI
Posts: 11,717

There is a Manhattan Club week in the system right now, as it happens. Ignore the trading power value; those only apply to regular Weeks members. Hershey is often available in the offseason, but if you want to go when the park is open, you probably need an ongoing request. (Though, for Hershey, I would probably rent from a Bluegreen owner rather than exchange DVC points for it.)

The Manhattan Club (#4064)
Studio 4 (2) Partial Sat 26-Oct-2013 Sat 02-Nov-2013 Exchange Fee 50
Brian Noble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 06:47 PM   #25
Dean
DIS Veteran
 
Dean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 31,789

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Noble View Post
There is a Manhattan Club week in the system right now, as it happens. Ignore the trading power value; those only apply to regular Weeks members. Hershey is often available in the offseason, but if you want to go when the park is open, you probably need an ongoing request. (Though, for Hershey, I would probably rent from a Bluegreen owner rather than exchange DVC points for it.)

The Manhattan Club (#4064)
Studio 4 (2) Partial Sat 26-Oct-2013 Sat 02-Nov-2013 Exchange Fee 50
134 points for a studio though, not bad. One can also often rent or private exchange with BG owners for the Manhattan club now.
__________________
Dean

Last edited by Dean; 11-15-2012 at 05:40 AM.
Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 10:22 PM   #26
MulanMom
DIS Veteran
 
MulanMom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Lehigh Valley, PA
Posts: 1,338

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Noble View Post
There is a Manhattan Club week in the system right now, as it happens. Ignore the trading power value; those only apply to regular Weeks members. Hershey is often available in the offseason, but if you want to go when the park is open, you probably need an ongoing request. (Though, for Hershey, I would probably rent from a Bluegreen owner rather than exchange DVC points for it.)

The Manhattan Club (#4064)
Studio 4 (2) Partial Sat 26-Oct-2013 Sat 02-Nov-2013 Exchange Fee 50
I was working in a pretty tight time frame to try to use before I lost the week. Where we are at with our lives right now, it's difficult to plan a year or two out. Hershey's only an hour away and a pretty easy drive so it's doubtful I'd go for that a year or two out. Manhattan Club...same issue with visiting the city vs. staying in the city. Usually arises when there's a concert or special event I want to attend....which isn't announced until a few months before the performance.

In the past, I rented Marriott properties in Orlando direct from owners. I'll have to keep that in mind for the future. Is the best place for that still TUG?
MulanMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

DVC-Resales.com | 1-800-550-6493 (Contact The Timeshare Store) | DVC Resale Listings

facebooktwittergoogle plus youtube itunesDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:00 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.