Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-09-2012, 03:02 PM   #31
ccgirl
DIS Veteran

I have a couple of friends that work in housekeeping in two different national hotel chains.

I think there may be some confusion of what housekeeping does. They do not clean the room from top to bottom on each night of your stay. They do clean it top to bottom between each guests stay. They do not change your sheets/blankets every day. They do, however, make your bad every day. They will usually vacuum every day or every other day. They will also replenish towels/toiletries every day.

I realize this can vary from hotel to hotel, which is why I said usually. YMMV.
Pre-Trip Report http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2503063
Oct 2011 - F&W AKL and BCV
May 2012 - HGVC SeaWorld
ccgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 01:05 PM   #32
Bob NC
DIS Veteran
I am a trained professional
$7.61
Wilma Flintstone can vacuum my floors with a baby elephant anyday!

Many of those things would bother me.

Housekeeping should be expected to clean your sink/counter and clean your bathroom floor daily.

I can't understand the people that don't think this is part of a housekeepers job.

The Disney defenders are out in full force.

On the other hand, we always get towel animals, but, I don't look at it as an "expected" perk, and wouldn't give it a second thought if we didn't get one.
Bob NC is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-10-2012, 03:05 PM   #33
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob NC View Post
Many of those things would bother me.

Housekeeping should be expected to clean your sink/counter and clean your bathroom floor daily.

I can't understand the people that don't think this is part of a housekeepers job.

The Disney defenders are out in full force.

On the other hand, we always get towel animals, but, I don't look at it as an "expected" perk, and wouldn't give it a second thought if we didn't get one.
I think cleaning the room is the housekeeper's job. However I don't think a missed blob of toothpaste is worth getting in a tizzy over.
maxiesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 03:42 PM   #34
4HppyCamprs
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxiesmom

I think cleaning the room is the housekeeper's job. However I don't think a missed blob of toothpaste is worth getting in a tizzy over.
While I understand that missing a blob of my own toothpaste in itself is t huge it along with the other missed things would make me wonder if the maid cleaned at all.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
09 ASMu 1st Visit! Grandma came too! Free dining 2010 POR 2nd Visit! Grandma is along for the ride! Free dining! 03/05-09/2012 POLY here we come!! We love Disney and Grandma does too! No dining plan and we loved it! DoubleTree DTD: 3/10-3/15/13 The whole gang! Best Trip yet! First Cruise: 1/6-1/10/14 Disney Magic. 2nd Cruise: 10/23-10/28/15 Disney Magic.
Me: Heather DH: DS #1 (11/04) DS #2 (2/09) DD (08/11) rincess:
4HppyCamprs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 04:19 PM   #35
Bob NC
DIS Veteran
$7.61

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxiesmom View Post
I may be wrong, but I think in addition to the blob of toothpaste the OP also mentioned dust, dirt, hair, a coffee spill, a bottle cap, etc.

Just sayin'
Old 11-10-2012, 04:26 PM   #36
robinb
DIS Veteran

Quote:
No, but it's the blob of toothpaste on top of everything else. It took three days and repeated calls for Housekeeping to clean:

* Dirt/dust at check-in
* loose toilet tissue
* a bottle cap on the floor behind the toilet
* A coffee spill in the grout under the sink
* Dirt dust and hair, not belonging to us in the corners etc.
* ice bucket had water in it left over from the previous guest

Quote:
Day 3 we headed to the park, when we got back, there was still all of the above, plus a toothpaste blob on the counter (darn kids) and smear on the inside rim of the sink. They said they would send someone down while we were at the pool.
When housekeeping FINALLY came to clean what should have been ALREADY clean when the OP checked in I would have expected them to make sure everything was spotless. Not just a slipshod job like they had been doing. The fact that they missed the smear after being called in to do an emergency afternoon cleaning would indeed put me into a tizzy ... and I usually don't get into a tizzy about toothpaste smears and blobs.
Old 11-10-2012, 04:31 PM   #37
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob NC View Post
I may be wrong, but I think in addition to the blob of toothpaste the OP also mentioned dust, dirt, hair, a coffee spill, a bottle cap, etc.

Just sayin'
Agreed, but that is not what you mentioned in the post I quoted.

As I said before, the stuff left behind from previous guests would bother me. Housekeeping missing a smear of my own kid's toothpaste would not even merit a mention.
maxiesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 05:36 PM   #38
WantToGoNow
DIS Veteran

Last October when we checked into CSR the room was very dusty - and we had requested an allergy cleaning. The next morning I found a used condom and tissue under the edge of the bed. I walked to the front desk and we didn't have a speck of anything in that room for the next 10 days. We also had extra toiletries and towels, towel animals every day and the kids toys were arranged doing interesting things.
WantToGoNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 05:41 PM   #39
Bob NC
DIS Veteran
$7.61

Quote:
Agreed, but that is not what you mentioned in the post I quoted.
WHAT?

Here is your entire post:

Quote:
Old 11-10-2012, 05:42 PM   #40
disneymomoftwins
disneymomoftwins

We dont allow housekeeping into our room. We bring our own blankets and make up our beds. I had just rather clean our room myself instead of having someone in our room. It actually only takes about 10 minutes each day. My husband usually goes and gets our towels and wash rags from the housekeeping cart. I guess I just have a thing about someone else being in our room with our stuff.
disneymomoftwins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 08:49 PM   #41
DISNEYWITHCHILDREN
Mouseketeer

You're in a disney hotel? I would be speaking to a manager. The only place you might now have an argument is the animal towels. I agree, it's definitely nice. And I might mention it to the manager. I will say kind of thought it was part of the Disney experience since we have always had our towels shaped as a Mickey or an animal, and it's so nice to come back to!
Old 11-10-2012, 09:08 PM   #42
~Kristina~
DIS Veteran

It's threads like this that make me happy I bring my own room and bed with me; my camper.

November 21-28, 2015 Fort Wilderness
Summer 2016
~Kristina~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 09:11 PM   #43
Habbott
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneymomoftwins View Post
We dont allow housekeeping into our room. We bring our own blankets and make up our beds. I had just rather clean our room myself instead of having someone in our room. It actually only takes about 10 minutes each day. My husband usually goes and gets our towels and wash rags from the housekeeping cart. I guess I just have a thing about someone else being in our room with our stuff.
I am more like you. Once I enter the room and it is suitably clean, I request no housekeeping service. I would not tolerate a dirty room upon entering, but I prefer no service otherwise.
Habbott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 09:40 PM   #44
robinb
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habbott View Post
I am more like you. Once I enter the room and it is suitably clean, I request no housekeeping service. I would not tolerate a dirty room upon entering, but I prefer no service otherwise.
The OP's room was not clean when she checked in.
Old 11-10-2012, 09:49 PM   #45
~Kristina~
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinb View Post
The OP's room was not clean when she checked in.
She should have taken her family and luggage back up to the front desk, let them know that room isn't clean and asked for another. She should not have tipped mousekeeping the next day, or the day after that. She should have demanded a clean room from a manager. Is it acceptable? No. But you can't expect better results when you're saying "you did a bad job, here's your tip."

November 21-28, 2015 Fort Wilderness
Summer 2016
~Kristina~ is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: