DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC Member Services
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-10-2012, 05:34 PM   #1
CarolynFH
Sometimes my daughter posts as me
TFs think that they need to do a "Freaky Friday"
 
CarolynFH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Texas
Posts: 482

Question Does it matter if we check in Jan. 1 vs. Jan. 2?

We're in the very early stages of planning a Jan. 2014 family trip to BWV and it looks like it might be the very first week. It will be our two adult children and their spouses as well as ourselves, so we'll need several rooms. We were thinking a 1-BR for us and 2 studios for them, but I'd like to try for a GV as it's been quite a few years since we all visited WDW together and it's likely to be quite a few years before we get another chance.

I kow a lot of folks come for the week between Christmas and New Year's, but I'm not sure what the most likely checkout day is. So, would our chances of getting a GV be different if we plan to check in on Jan. 1 vs. Jan. 2? Jan. 1, 2014 will be a Wednesday, if that makes a difference.

TIA!
__________________
BWV owner since Feb. 98
Lost a lot of posts in a server change years ago
CarolynFH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 05:53 PM   #2
chainkid
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Posts: 490

The only way to secure a grand villa reservation during a holiday period is to have enough BW points to walk your reservation and call each and every day first thing in the morning to cancel first day and then add a day at the end. It's tedious and time consuming but with only 7 grand villas available its the only way and even then its hard to get. Good luck.
chainkid is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 11-11-2012, 07:41 AM   #3
cvjw
DIS Veteran
 
cvjw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Marietta, GA
Posts: 3,011

This is our 2nd year of visiting Disney the first week of January - arriving on the 1st. I don't think it will matter if you arrive on the 1st or the 2nd, both will be incredibly busy. The crowds won't really thin out that first week of January until after the 1st weekend. You should plan on booking at the 11 month window at your home resort for your trip. On a happier note, the Christmas decorations are still up, and we really enjoyed our January trip last year, even though it was cold and crowded.
cvjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 10:18 AM   #4
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention
 
Deb & Bill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: USA
Posts: 44,413

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolynFH View Post
We're in the very early stages of planning a Jan. 2014 family trip to BWV and it looks like it might be the very first week. It will be our two adult children and their spouses as well as ourselves, so we'll need several rooms. We were thinking a 1-BR for us and 2 studios for them, but I'd like to try for a GV as it's been quite a few years since we all visited WDW together and it's likely to be quite a few years before we get another chance.

I kow a lot of folks come for the week between Christmas and New Year's, but I'm not sure what the most likely checkout day is. So, would our chances of getting a GV be different if we plan to check in on Jan. 1 vs. Jan. 2? Jan. 1, 2014 will be a Wednesday, if that makes a difference.

TIA!
When we checked in on Jan 1 a few years back, we actually did the check in around 7:30AM. Our villa wasn't available until nearly 6PM because the guests in the villa did not vacate until 3:30. When they finally left they left behind a NYE party mess that took a few hours and several CMs to clean up.
__________________
Deb - DVC Member since '97
OKW and VWL Homes

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 11:09 AM   #5
dvcterry
DIS Veteran
 
dvcterry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: CT
Posts: 1,634

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb & Bill View Post
When we checked in on Jan 1 a few years back, we actually did the check in around 7:30AM. Our villa wasn't available until nearly 6PM because the guests in the villa did not vacate until 3:30. When they finally left they left behind a NYE party mess that took a few hours and several CMs to clean up.
The same thing happened to us. Split stay so we were there early. The room was trashed by previous occupants and we were not given our keys until almost Midnight Jan 2. We were all exhausted and stayed in lobby checking and waiting. I called MS the next morning and we were reimbursed for our points but it was a nightmare.
__________________
Terry
dvcterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 01:08 PM   #6
Canadian Disney Mom
Formerly Tollerwalker - original join date July 2005
 
Canadian Disney Mom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Quispamsis, New Brunswick, Canada
Posts: 833

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb & Bill View Post
When we checked in on Jan 1 a few years back, we actually did the check in around 7:30AM. Our villa wasn't available until nearly 6PM because the guests in the villa did not vacate until 3:30. When they finally left they left behind a NYE party mess that took a few hours and several CMs to clean up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvcterry View Post
The same thing happened to us. Split stay so we were there early. The room was trashed by previous occupants and we were not given our keys until almost Midnight Jan 2. We were all exhausted and stayed in lobby checking and waiting. I called MS the next morning and we were reimbursed for our points but it was a nightmare.
Both of these stories make me sad. As a member I could never imagine doing that to a hotel room. I would feel horrible to for the work I would be causing the CMs and the impact it would have on the next guess...
__________________
Past Trips to Disneyworld, Disneyland, and Disney Cruises:WDW-1: May 1998 (Off Property), WDW-2: Apr 2002 (Off Property), WDW-3: Feb 2005 (All-Star Movies), WDW-4: Apr 2006 (SSR), WDW-5: April 2008 (AKV Jambo), WDW-6: Dec 2009 (AKV Kidani & SSR), WDW-7: Jul 2010 (AKV Jambo), WDW-8: Apr 2011 (Off Property), WDW-9: Jun-Jul 2012 (BLT, BWV & AKV Jambo), WDW-10: Dec 2012-Jan 2013 (AKV Jambo), WDW-11: Mar 2013 (BLT & AKV Kidani),WDW-12: Nov 2014 (SSR),WDW-13: Mar 2015 (SSR),DLR-1: Nov 2010 (Off Property), DLR-2: Jan 2012 (VGC), DCL-1: Jan 2012 (Disney Wonder 7 night MR)
Twitter ID: @CanadaDisneyMom
Canadian Disney Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 01:21 PM   #7
Canadian Disney Mom
Formerly Tollerwalker - original join date July 2005
 
Canadian Disney Mom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Quispamsis, New Brunswick, Canada
Posts: 833

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb & Bill View Post
When we checked in on Jan 1 a few years back, we actually did the check in around 7:30AM. Our villa wasn't available until nearly 6PM because the guests in the villa did not vacate until 3:30. When they finally left they left behind a NYE party mess that took a few hours and several CMs to clean up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvcterry View Post
The same thing happened to us. Split stay so we were there early. The room was trashed by previous occupants and we were not given our keys until almost Midnight Jan 2. We were all exhausted and stayed in lobby checking and waiting. I called MS the next morning and we were reimbursed for our points but it was a nightmare.
Both of these stories make me sad. As a member I could never imagine doing that to a hotel room. I would feel horrible to for the work I would be causing the CMs and the impact it would have on the next guess...
__________________
Past Trips to Disneyworld, Disneyland, and Disney Cruises:WDW-1: May 1998 (Off Property), WDW-2: Apr 2002 (Off Property), WDW-3: Feb 2005 (All-Star Movies), WDW-4: Apr 2006 (SSR), WDW-5: April 2008 (AKV Jambo), WDW-6: Dec 2009 (AKV Kidani & SSR), WDW-7: Jul 2010 (AKV Jambo), WDW-8: Apr 2011 (Off Property), WDW-9: Jun-Jul 2012 (BLT, BWV & AKV Jambo), WDW-10: Dec 2012-Jan 2013 (AKV Jambo), WDW-11: Mar 2013 (BLT & AKV Kidani),WDW-12: Nov 2014 (SSR),WDW-13: Mar 2015 (SSR),DLR-1: Nov 2010 (Off Property), DLR-2: Jan 2012 (VGC), DCL-1: Jan 2012 (Disney Wonder 7 night MR)
Twitter ID: @CanadaDisneyMom
Canadian Disney Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 02:27 PM   #8
Dean
DIS Veteran
 
Dean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 30,762

Quote:
Originally Posted by chainkid View Post
The only way to secure a grand villa reservation during a holiday period is to have enough BW points to walk your reservation and call each and every day first thing in the morning to cancel first day and then add a day at the end. It's tedious and time consuming but with only 7 grand villas available its the only way and even then its hard to get. Good luck.
Once you get a week going, you own't have to call every day right at opening. Assuming the total inventory is the same for all days, you can do a few days at a time without risk of losing access with walking.
__________________
Dean
Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 08:27 AM   #9
drusba

DIS Veteran
 
drusba's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Chicago
Posts: 9,981

With Jan 1 on a Wednesday in 2014, your high demand holiday period will extend until Jan 4, but likely Jan 1 will be closed out during the 11 month window for GVs a little before Jan 2 is.
__________________
Everything has to have a beginning and an end ... but it is not necessary to have a purpose in between.
drusba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 01:21 PM   #10
BrerNashville
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 508

When is the best day to start walking the reservation during this period? They are pretty much booked up during the whole 12/24 to 1/2 period, right? So, if one were trying to arrive 12/30 or 31, and staying until 1/4, would you start walking the reservation as early as the 20th or 21st? Or is there enough transition between the 25th and 30th that one of those days will allow you to get in?
BrerNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 01:40 PM   #11
butsy113
Mouseketeer

 
butsy113's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Central Illinois
Posts: 508

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrerNashville View Post
When is the best day to start walking the reservation during this period? They are pretty much booked up during the whole 12/24 to 1/2 period, right? So, if one were trying to arrive 12/30 or 31, and staying until 1/4, would you start walking the reservation as early as the 20th or 21st? Or is there enough transition between the 25th and 30th that one of those days will allow you to get in?
I would like to know this too. Hoping for Jan 2-9, 2014 for my DD's birthday!
__________________
Amanda
butsy113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 02:06 PM   #12
drusba

DIS Veteran
 
drusba's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Chicago
Posts: 9,981

I tracked BWV at 11 months out this year for that period. As to GVs, Dec 31 did not disappear until Dec 28. Jan 1 was actually available on Feb 1 but only until 8:03 eastern time. Jan 2 was available for a couple hours on Feb 2 (and days after were still available then). To be on the safe side for a GV you probably want to start walking on Dec 27 or 28 since you cannot assume this year's experience with a GV will be exactly the same next year.
__________________
Everything has to have a beginning and an end ... but it is not necessary to have a purpose in between.
drusba is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

DVC-Resales.com | 1-800-550-6493 (Contact The Timeshare Store) | DVC Resale Listings

facebooktwittergoogle plus youtube itunesDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:27 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.