Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Camping at Disney World
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-09-2012, 09:24 PM   #1
kazlac4
Mouseketeer

Can't be true..the MK Bakery will be no more!

Saw this on a different Disboard forum. It's a Disney Parks blog that states the bakery in the Magic Kingdom will be closed for refurb in January and when it reopens will be a Starbucks. I, for one, think this is a TERRIBLE idea! I go to Disney for the uniqueness that is Disney. I can find Starbucks on every other corner of every city when I am home in the real world. I love the bakery and it's items the way they are now. In my opinion this change is just another small piece of the Disney that everyone loves being lost....

This is the link:
http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blo...r/#commentform
2006 - All Star Movies
2009 - Fort Wilderness
2010 - Fort Wilderness
2011 - All Star Movies
2013 - Fort Wilderness
kazlac4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 09:29 PM   #2
2goofycampers
Sounds like something a camping trip could cure
Enjoy the beer and wine you will love it

Boycott !!!!

I won't be spending my money there. Too much $.

2goofycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-09-2012, 09:39 PM   #3
shinysparklybubbles
DIS Veteran

Booo
Old 11-09-2012, 10:03 PM   #4
waldiddy
Mouseketeer

Maybe I'm way off base, but this is a terrible idea. Why put chain restaurants in the parks? Doesn't this make "Main Street" a little more like any generic shopping mall, when they start letting in the franchises? What's next? A Cinnabon, perhaps? Or maybe Subway?
waldiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 10:15 PM   #5
PixieDust1928
Earning My Ears

Super sad
PixieDust1928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 10:17 PM   #6
KimBeano
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazlac4
Saw this on a different Disboard forum. It's a Disney Parks blog that states the bakery in the Magic Kingdom will be closed for refurb in January and when it reopens will be a Starbucks. I, for one, think this is a TERRIBLE idea! I go to Disney for the uniqueness that is Disney. I can find Starbucks on every other corner of every city when I am home in the real world. I love the bakery and it's items the way they are now. In my opinion this change is just another small piece of the Disney that everyone loves being lost....

This is the link:
http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blo...r/#commentform
Ditto!!!" I'm really hoping it will just offer Starbucks drinks and the rest stays the same. I know it doesn't sound like that, but there is nothing more Disney than dreaming. I'm really glad I'm going in December just in case.
KimBeano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 11:02 PM   #7
North of Mouse
DIS Veteran

here too! Just found out about this tonight. Can't believe they're taking away a place that so many love - surely they know that as busy as it aways is I hate Starbucks burned coffee, even though I like my coffee. Will NOT be going there if it's all Starbuck's foods - over priced and *under tasted* I've heard that the Cinnamon roll which is our favorite will be served in a bakery in the FLE.

We have a trip end of Nov. first of Dec. so will have to get our last *fix* then I guess.
North of Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 08:28 AM   #8
4kids4karen
DIS Veteran

I think Starbucks is more profitable for them. We often forget that Disney is a company that is looking for profit. Universal Studios has a Starbucks and the line is always out the door! Perhaps they will still keep it a cute theme and serve some of the most favorite bakery times. Most are not "true" Starbucks just like the one in US while it serves Starbucks drinks is not a true Starbucks so they don't take Starbucks coupons, etc.
4kids4karen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 12:03 PM   #9
Alesia
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by waldiddy View Post
Maybe I'm way off base, but this is a terrible idea. Why put chain restaurants in the parks? Doesn't this make "Main Street" a little more like any generic shopping mall, when they start letting in the franchises? What's next? A Cinnabon, perhaps? Or maybe Subway?
They had McDonald's fry stands in the parks until 2008 or 2009. It wasn't a big deal. There's a Rainforest Cafe in AK and people can't get enough of it. And then there are the corporate sponsorships: The Plaza Ice Cream Parlor serves Edy's Ice cream, Aloha Isle is sponsored by Dole - honestly, I could go on for days.

Alesia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 02:26 PM   #10
shinysparklybubbles
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alesia

They had McDonald's fry stands in the parks until 2008 or 2009. .
The fries were always hot and amazing. Every time I walk past where the booth was in MK I get sad lol.
Old 11-10-2012, 03:23 PM   #11
North of Mouse
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alesia View Post
They had McDonald's fry stands in the parks until 2008 or 2009. It wasn't a big deal. There's a Rainforest Cafe in AK and people can't get enough of it. And then there are the corporate sponsorships: The Plaza Ice Cream Parlor serves Edy's Ice cream, Aloha Isle is sponsored by Dole - honestly, I could go on for days.
I would have NO problem with MSB serving Starbucks coffee, but to *turn* a fave like MSB INTO a Starbucks is why I hate it so much. The places, except Rainforest, were not turned into a chain (yes, sponsored by), and serves their product, but to *take away*something so prominent and bring in a chain, yes, I'm upset. I can't stand the burned coffee Starbucks serves, but would have not problem with others having access to it inside a bakery or CS.
North of Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 03:54 PM   #12
Alesia
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by North of Mouse View Post
I would have NO problem with MSB serving Starbucks coffee, but to *turn* a fave like MSB INTO a Starbucks is why I hate it so much. The places, except Rainforest, were not turned into a chain (yes, sponsored by), and serves their product, but to *take away*something so prominent and bring in a chain, yes, I'm upset. I can't stand the burned coffee Starbucks serves, but would have not problem with others having access to it inside a bakery or CS.
I guess I'm not seeing the difference - it's still going to look the same, the employees will still look the same, It's basically just going to be a product change.

Alesia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 07:15 PM   #13
angelmom27
DIS Veteran

Chip and Co on fb has a link to a petition on ***********. I don't like this either. If they want to add a kiosk with starbucks coffee fine but don't take away a piece of history that has been there for yrs.
Old 11-10-2012, 07:41 PM   #14
kazlac4
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelmom27 View Post
Chip and Co on fb has a link to a petition on ***********. I don't like this either. If they want to add a kiosk with starbucks coffee fine but don't take away a piece of history that has been there for yrs.
Thanks for the info. Here is the link for anyone interested!

http://www.**********************walt...th-a-starbucks
2006 - All Star Movies
2009 - Fort Wilderness
2010 - Fort Wilderness
2011 - All Star Movies
2013 - Fort Wilderness
kazlac4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 08:20 AM   #15
2goofycampers
Sounds like something a camping trip could cure
Enjoy the beer and wine you will love it

found on budget board