Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-10-2012, 01:27 PM   #1
mad madam mim78
DIS Veteran

I've been pricing family suites...

How come they are more expensive than getting two regular rooms? This bothers me. Has anyone been able to price them and get them lower than 2 regular rooms? Right now I'm pricing 2 rooms at All Star Movies (where I'd rather stay) vs 1 room at All Star Music and the 2 rooms are beating the 1 by 300 dollars.

The only downside I see is the fact 2 rooms are not guaranteed to be ajoining. I think we could cope if this happened. However if it were ajoining it would be waaay better than cramming us all into a room with fold outs everywhere. Anyone have a better ideas? Anyone have any stories of booking two rooms vs 1 family suite? I need input!!!
mad madam mim78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 01:30 PM   #2
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad madam mim78 View Post
How come they are more expensive than getting two regular rooms? This bothers me. Has anyone been able to price them and get them lower than 2 regular rooms? Right now I'm pricing 2 rooms at All Star Movies (where I'd rather stay) vs 1 room at All Star Music and the 2 rooms are beating the 1 by 300 dollars.

The only downside I see is the fact 2 rooms are not guaranteed to be ajoining. I think we could cope if this happened. However if it were ajoining it would be waaay better than cramming us all into a room with fold outs everywhere. Anyone have a better ideas? Anyone have any stories of booking two rooms vs 1 family suite? I need input!!!
For one thing, you don't want to request adjoining if you want them to connect. You want to request connecting rooms. Adjoining might mean they are right next to each other with no connecting door.

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-10-2012, 02:12 PM   #3
mad madam mim78
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb & Bill View Post
For one thing, you don't want to request adjoining if you want them to connect. You want to request connecting rooms. Adjoining might mean they are right next to each other with no connecting door.
Thanks for the tip!!
Old 11-10-2012, 02:34 PM   #4
kaytieeldr
Reserving the right to make jokes out of typos - but NOT the people who make them - since 2012

Location: There is no Pixie Dust on the Transportation Board!!!

There's no space for "foldouts all over the floor" in a standard room. It's 260 square feet - about 20*13, including the bathroom/closet area.
As you've already determined, a family suite will absolutely 100% guarantee you will all be in one unit.
The suite gives you a kitchenette. You're also assured of having two bathrooms and two televisions.
kaytieeldr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 02:46 PM   #5
mad madam mim78
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaytieeldr View Post
There's no space for "foldouts all over the floor" in a standard room. It's 260 square feet - about 20*13, including the bathroom/closet area.
As you've already determined, a family suite will absolutely 100% guarantee you will all be in one unit.
The suite gives you a kitchenette. You're also assured of having two bathrooms and two televisions.
I was talking about in the family SUITES it's basically a one bedroom with a living room. In the living room it has a sofa fold out....a chair fold out...and an ottoman fold out. In the room pictures it looks cramped. We could for cheaper get 2 regular rooms with 4 beds and have plenty of sleeping room and two bathrooms.
Old 11-10-2012, 02:54 PM   #6
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

Quote:
I was talking about in the family SUITES it's basically a one bedroom with a living room. In the living room it has a sofa fold out....a chair fold out...and an ottoman fold out. In the room pictures it looks cramped. We could for cheaper get 2 regular rooms with 4 beds and have plenty of sleeping room and two bathrooms.
Yep, you could. You wouldn't have the kitchenette and you wouldn't get any queen sized beds like the family suites have.

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 03:15 PM   #7
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

Quote:
It really isn't cramped at all! We did the Family Suite as 3 adults, 2 teens, and 1 child. Plenty of room to move around. And during the day you have more room than you would in a standard room, as you don't have a bed out hogging the space. You have a couch and a chair instead.

Btw, you can get a Family Suite cheaper than 2 rooms. If you are getting 2 preferred rooms, a Family Suite is usually cheaper. If you are getting standard rooms 2 rooms are cheaper. All Family Suites are in the preferred buildings, so it does make sense.

We have done both, and we really prefer the Family Suite over 2 rooms. You are guaranteed to be all together, no worrying about connecting or non-connecting rooms. Plus the bedroom has a queen bed, and you get a kitchenette. With 6 people just having breakfast in the room saved us a bunch of money.
maxiesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 03:18 PM   #8
kaytieeldr
Reserving the right to make jokes out of typos - but NOT the people who make them - since 2012

Location: There is no Pixie Dust on the Transportation Board!!!

Quote:
Well, during the day in the family SUITES, the foldouts would be folded into the living room furniture. They'd only be opened up at night while they were being slept on, and possibly first thing in the morning. I don't recall any complaints about lack of floor space in the morning, but you could always fold the furniture back up if it's in your way.
kaytieeldr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 03:24 PM   #9
leyeball
Mouseketeer

We've found better luck booking through David's Vacation Club Rentals. For our upcoming trip we booked a one bedroom villa through David's and it was much cheaper than 2 individual rooms at a value resort.
leyeball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 03:28 PM   #10
magrudersmakes3
DIS Veteran

We rented through stayatWDW for more room. They are offering specials now that include tickets. I highly recommend checking them out.

1998 First trip offsite, 2003 CBR, 2004 Sea World, 2005 POR, 2007 POR, 2008 BW, 2010 CCL, 2010 HRH Universal, 2011 Disney Dream, 2012 Disney Dream, 2013 POP/POR (Princess 1/2 Marathon), 2013 BLT
magrudersmakes3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 04:30 PM   #11
mad madam mim78
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxiesmom View Post
It really isn't cramped at all! We did the Family Suite as 3 adults, 2 teens, and 1 child. Plenty of room to move around. And during the day you have more room than you would in a standard room, as you don't have a bed out hogging the space. You have a couch and a chair instead.

Btw, you can get a Family Suite cheaper than 2 rooms. If you are getting 2 preferred rooms, a Family Suite is usually cheaper. If you are getting standard rooms 2 rooms are cheaper. All Family Suites are in the preferred buildings, so it does make sense.

We have done both, and we really prefer the Family Suite over 2 rooms. You are guaranteed to be all together, no worrying about connecting or non-connecting rooms. Plus the bedroom has a queen bed, and you get a kitchenette. With 6 people just having breakfast in the room saved us a bunch of money.
Thanks for this!! Very helpful. It's the pictures I saw but I guess pictures can be deceiving.
Old 11-24-2012, 09:59 AM   #12
owl0306
Mouseketeer

you are getting a preferred location so if you are looking at the prices of two rooms without preferred locations, yes it will be cheaper
you do not get a microwave/kitchenette with the two rooms. i loved having that and a sink. i hate using the bathroom sink to clean sippys etc. i loved having my own bedroom and the kids having the LR. If you get two rooms you may not get connected rooms
owl0306 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: