Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Camping at Disney World
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-03-2012, 04:35 PM   #16
storyteller
Driving not flying, It's hard to read the street signs from that far up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbnewhampshire1 View Post
Go w/a open mind to have a great time.Personally we pack a lunch in a pack back. Freeze water bottles the night before, pack the lunch ,chicken salad ,tuna, ham & cheese, peanut butter & jelly whaterever, fruit, cookies also.By the time lunch rolls around water is defrosted, lunch is nice and fresh and you are hungry. AlsoYou have saved yourself a lot of money!!! Enjoy the park! Also try taking the boat back from the Magic Kingdom,have lunch in your MH go to the pool and just relax the return to the parks.The Magic Kingdom is the easiest to get to by the boat and most relaxing. The bus system is a little more hectic but really not that bad remember your on vacaton, relax and enjoy! Especially enjoy Ft Wilderness!!!
I totally agree... vacation.... no worries
Old 11-05-2012, 12:04 AM   #17
Junebugwv
DIS Veteran

Just returned from a split stay at SSR and the FW Cabins. We had a car, but used Disney transportation, too. Honestly, it is the luck of the draw. If you don't have a long wait for the internal bus and you happen to get a boat to MK without a long wait, then you will be fine. We've had easy rides and difficult ones as well. Nothing like getting on a bus at the end of a long day with 3 kids and 2 strollers and having no place to sit. Exit the bus at the resort and face a long walk to your room or cabin.

I found the internal buses at FW to run efficiently, but I was glad that I didn't have to depend on the bus for the parks.

A plus for using bus transportation is not having to navigate around WDW. I have been driving all over the property for over 25 extended stays and have to remind myself to drive by memory and not depend on the signage. I think it is confusing!
Junebugwv is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-05-2012, 02:52 PM   #18
RVMH
badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by chartle View Post
1. Agreed

2. Ditto

3. not exactly, its two monorail rides with a transfer

4. only if you have a PH ticket and its a long walk from the front gates to through the IG and then to DHS.
Thanks! I blanked on that monorail transfer at the TTC. Sometimes the fastest or even the quickest isn't the best. Something to be said for leaving the car parked and immersing one's self in the experience .... good and bad.
RVMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 08:25 AM   #19
reelmom
If I don't get tagged, I am gonna hold my breath until I am blue!
Didn't work. The tag turned blue instead!

We are thinking about staying in the cabins and will have a car. How long does it take to get to the parks if you have your own car? Thanks
reelmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 08:51 AM   #20
chartle
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by reelmom View Post
We are thinking about staying in the cabins and will have a car. How long does it take to get to the parks if you have your own car? Thanks
For the MK it will take around 30 or more minutes since you will still have to park, ram to the TTC and take a ferry or monorail over and then reverse back. Most would say take the internal bus and the small boat for the MK.

For the other parks you should be at the front gate maybe 20 minutes.

The best thing about staying at FW is that your car is only a few feet away from where you sleeping. Some resorts it can be a bit of a walk if the lot is full.
Old 11-10-2012, 10:09 AM   #21
~Kristina~
DIS Veteran

I've had much better luck at FW with the buses than at the All Star/Pop resorts. But occasionally you do get 3 buses to one park before you get one bus to a different park. I've only been truly annoyed at the bus system during MVMCP; so many people going and not enough buses, that was at CSR.

November 21-28, 2015 Fort Wilderness
Summer 2016
~Kristina~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 10:17 AM   #22
dr&momto2boys
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeilerBird View Post
It sounds to me like Disney is making it as hard as possible to keep people in the park instead of returning to the RV for an inexpensive meal.
I don't think this is intentional. I think they actually do an amazing job with transportation at WDW.
You are right about taking a lot of time going back and forth though. We plan our days to go at park opening each day (the best time for rides) and taking a break midday anyway (while the parks are overflowing.) Then we return in the evenings for entertainment.
If you want to stay straight through, why not pack a lunch to take with you?
Old 11-10-2012, 05:40 PM   #23
chartle
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeilerBird View Post
I have read that the Disney transportation system is not very good between FW and the Disney parks. ....

It sounds to me like Disney is making it as hard as possible to keep people in the park instead of returning to the RV for an inexpensive meal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr&momto2boys View Post
I don't think this is intentional. I think they actually do an amazing job with transportation at WDW.
You are right about taking a lot of time going back and forth though. We plan our days to go at park opening each day (the best time for rides) and taking a break midday anyway (while the parks are overflowing.) Then we return in the evenings for entertainment.
If you want to stay straight through, why not pack a lunch to take with you?
The bus situation is what it is. FW, square mileage wise, is the largest resort on property so it has its own challenges.

When we visited in 1999 there were different bus loops. The buses for all the parks except MK stopped at every internal bus stop. You also had to take an external bus to the TTC to get to the water parks and DTD.

I'm pretty sure the current system was put in place to try to simplify things.

Of course years ago you took trams around to the marina or RC because they were the only places to get to.
Old 11-10-2012, 11:03 PM   #24
jayhawk74
Mouseketeer

Just finishing a week at the cabins and we didn't have any problems. We use a Disney cart instead of the FW buses so I can't comment on those. However we did use Disney Transportation to get to the parks. As has been said the boat to MK takes about 15 minutes. As of Wed they were down one boat due to maintenance so they had three boats operating MK to Wilderness Lodge to FW to MK. Because of that it took longer to get back from MK but it was the normal time to get there. As for the buses it took 10 minutes to get to Downtown Disney, 15 minutes to Hollywood Studios, and about 20 minutes to Animal Kingdom. Some days we lucked out and the busses and boats were there we we got to them at other times we had to wait 10 - 15 minutes. All that being said I would still rather use Disney transportation than driving myself to the parks.
jayhawk74 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: