Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Adults and Solo Travelers
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-08-2012, 02:00 PM   #1
dawn1620
Mouseketeer

DH dropped the D-bomb on me last night

Husband told me last night he wants a divorce. Without getting too much into detail he has not been happy for a while..I thought we were getting along better but....

The only thing I'm worried about is our 11 year old daughter - she is going to take this very hard. We are going to try and make it as amicable as possible for her sake.

I just don't know how we are going to tell her.

Edited - guess I should have posted in Community Board. oops

Me DD Lily
dawn1620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 06:17 PM   #2
girlnextdoornco
Earning My Ears

Hi there, Dawn.
I'm sorry to hear about your impending divorce..but I'm so glad you and your husband are going to make it as easy on your daughter as possible. What a tough thing to have to tell her. During my time working at Focus on the Family, I came across a book that you might find helpful. It's What Children Need to Know When Parents Get Divorced by William Coleman. I hope all goes well and that your daughter understands the love you two have for her. Blessings!
girlnextdoornco is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-08-2012, 09:10 PM   #3
mouseketeer_mom
DIS Veteran

I don't know what to say... I'm so sorry...
Old 11-09-2012, 12:39 AM   #4
WishesLuv
Earning My Ears

How terrible. : ( I'm so sorry!
Old 11-09-2012, 03:54 PM   #5
LoveWaltDisney
Earning My Ears

I'm sorry to hear that. For the sake of your children be as amicable as possible. Without going into too many details, when my ex and I got divorced I wanted to do everything amicably the children's sake. She couldn't do that and had to have a long and protracted court battle that took 3 1/2 years and a LOT of $$$$.

It's 7 years later now, and our kids are older. Whenever the subject comes up they always say they wish we could have divorced without the lengthy battle. They talk about how stressful that time was for them.

Do your children a favor and keep things as friendly as possible. They'll be better off for it.
LoveWaltDisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 11:27 PM   #6
LockShockBarrel
Pudge controls the weather.

As much as you probably don't want to, I think you need to talk to your husband and discuss together how you want to tell her. It should come from both of you, not just one. Keep it simple "Mom and Dad just aren't happy together anymore, and to be happy and be better people, we need to be apart." You both still love her and that you made her together. Then you can let her ask questions and be honest, but you don't have to tell her every nitty gritty detail.

My parents separated when I was 10ish, and they told me together and I thought I should be upset, but when my father moved out and a few months went by, I loved it. He moved back in for about a year and a half and it was hell all over again, the yelling and screaming and tension was back. When they finally decided to divorce I was over the moon.

Kids pick up on more than parents realize sometimes and while she may be initially upset, she will eventually come to see it's for the best.
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade...but without water and sugar your lemonade is gonna suck.Shut up Brain or I'll poke you with a Qtip!Legally, it's questionable. Morally, disgusting. Personally, I like it!The way to a man's heart is through his stomach. Stab in and thrust upward.

Trip Report Jan 2011: Viva Verde! http://http://www.disboards.com/show...0#post39571060
TRIP REPORT SEPT 2012How do I Flush This? Squared!http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2993886

Feb 2007 Pop Century, Oct 2008 Pop Century, Jan 2011 Old Key West, Sept 12 Pop Century
LockShockBarrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 09:13 AM   #7
Lionqueen2
DIS Veteran

I'm so sorry.
Lionqueen2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: