Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-09-2012, 10:24 PM   #91
horselover
I've been bitten by the travel bug & there is no cure.

I hate Starbucks coffee but I love the Main Street Bakery! I think this decision sucks. Why don't they just put in some kiosks like the Peets coffee kiosks at Epcot or put it in another location at MK? Don't take away the Main Street Bakery!
Old 11-09-2012, 10:38 PM   #92
andyman8
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by FancyNancy View Post
Somehow I don't think Walt Disney would ever have approved the decision to replace a beloved shop like Main Street Bakery with a Starbucks.
Well, we could got to Disney "Underground" in Burbank, unfreeze his head, and ask him about his thoughts on the matter, but that seems like too much work, and I'm lazy.

Anyways, he's too busy freaking out over alcohol being served in MK...
Walt Disney World Resort: June 2014 (GF), March 2014 (Day-Trip), January 2014 (Pop[/COLOR], AoA, & Half-Marathon), November 2013 (YC & W&D Half-Marathon), October 2013 (GF), June 2013 (Polynesian), January 2013 (POR & Half-Marathon) December 2012 (Rosen Shingle Creek), July 2012 (GF), June 2011 (CR), March 2011 (Day-Trip), July 2004 (GF), April 2004 (FW), December 2003 (DoubleTree & MVMCP), October 2003 (DoubleTree & MNSSHP), August 2003 (DoubleTree), June 2003 (WL), February 2003 (Embassy Suites) January 2003 (DoubleTree), September 2002 (AKL), July 2002 (DoubleTree), March 2002 (DoubleTree), January 2002 (CR), November 2001 (DoubleTree), May 2001 (DoubleTree), February 2001 (DoubleTree), January 2001 (DoubleTree), April 2000 (DoubleTree), February 1998 (Quality Inn & Suites)

Universal Orlando Resort: October 2012 (RPR), September 2011 (HRH), July 2010 (RPR), March 2010 (RPR), February 2010 (Day-Trip), September 2009 (HRH), January 2008 (HRH), June 2006 (PBH)

Disneyland Resort: August 2012 (Day-Trip), August 2009 (Day-Trip)

Upcoming: Disneyland July 2014 (GCH), Walt Disney World October 2013 (Dolphin & ToT 10-Miler)

Member of the PeopleMover Appreciation Society, Official MyMagic+ Info & FAQ Thread, and Printable Theme Park Maps
andyman8 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-09-2012, 10:40 PM   #93
Disney_Princess83
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesaboy2 View Post
Good thing they spent six months refurbishing the facade this year--makes no sense. It ruined so many guests' view of the castle!
I was just thinking the exact same thing! During our trip in January & February, they were refurbishing the front and the view of the castle was blocked in so many of our photos, especially those with Pluto and Daisy at the front on the park, along with the ones we took of the parade.

Given the fact that they did just spend all the money refurbishing the facade, I can't help but wonder if they're actually only going to change the inside and not the outside all that much. The one at DCA fits in very well with the area it's in and the Starbucks sign even blends into the facade. It is not the Starbucks we are used to seeing outside of the parks. Knowing how they have done it at DCA, I have no problem with this location serving Starbucks.

I find it hard to believe that they're actually "closing" the Main St Bakery. I think they are far more likely to have a very similar store that serves both Starbucks food and drink, along with the traditional Disney offerings. This was very similar to California Adventure as well, that store is not a full blown Starbucks. Even the signing is minimal and fits in with the overall area, which is exactly what I'm expecting with the Main St Bakery. I doubt there will be a huge green Starbucks sign crowding the view of the castle.

I would have preferred they use a different location, only so that it would at least "split" the morning crowd into two different locations. Main St Bakery gets so busy of a morning so with the addition of Starbucks, the lines will be the same or even worse!

Almost 6 Weeks at Disney.... it's Happened! October & November 2013! Trip Report and Food Review to Follow Soon

Starbucks has arrived at WDW! MK, EPCOT and soon the entire World!
Add me on Twitter: @OzGoofyPrincess

Last edited by Disney_Princess83; 11-09-2012 at 10:47 PM.
Disney_Princess83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 10:41 PM   #94
Victoria3
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolanboys View Post
They better not get rid of the ice cream sandwiches. They're a must for our family every trip!
No worries! They sell them at Sleepy Hollow too.
Old 11-09-2012, 10:45 PM   #95
TBdisneyMC
Mouseketeer

I really think many of the people here need to take a deep breath. As I said earlier, and others have said, this is NOT going to be a typical Starbucks that you'd find on every street corner, I can almost guarantee that! Plus, Starbucks is not the first corporation to come into Disney World. McDonald's had a presence in Disney, and many other brands still have a presence in Disney. LTT is sponsored by Craisins, TTA is sponsored by Alamo, the Land is (was?) sponsored by Nestle, and the list goes on. Brawny even tells us how to wash our hands in the bathroom... They all have brand logos on their sign. This is nothing new.

I don't think the look or feel of Main St. is in danger any more than it's endangered by the enormous gift shop taking up the entire left side (the Emporium.) I doubt they sold that many t-shirts or coffee mugs in the early 1900's.

PLEASE look at how Starbucks was incorporated into DCA: http://www.disneyfoodblog.com/2012/0...ith-starbucks/
.......~ šoš ~ Aug '06 - CSR ~ šoš ~ May '09 - POR ~ šoš ~ Aug '10 - POR ~ šoš ~ Mar '11 - POR ~ šoš ~
~ Aug '11 - POR/BWI (Our wedding) ~ šoš ~ Nov '11 - WL ~ šoš ~ Feb '12 - WL ~ šoš ~ Feb '13 - POFQ ~
TBdisneyMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 10:47 PM   #96
cruisingkat
DIS Veteran

I was at DL and was looking for the Starbucks. I passed it 4 times before I noticed the rather small Starbucks sign and it wasn't even green. I can't wait until it opens in DW. The one at DL had more than Starbucks offers. And as previously posted is not called Starbucks.
cruisingkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 10:49 PM   #97
Disney_Princess83
DIS Veteran

Absolutely this! I don't understand why people are SO bothered by Starbucks coming into WDW. There have been countless other brands that have been and are used in the parks. McDonalds like you said, Kodak, Nestle, Joffreys.

Given how the Starbucks at DCA was incorporated, the outside facade might even remain the same. The interior of the DCA store doesn't even look like a Starbucks!

The Main St Bakery might even still be called the Main St Bakery with exactly the same offerings they have no, in addition of the Starbucks menu.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBdisneyMC View Post
I really think many of the people here need to take a deep breath. As I said earlier, and others have said, this is NOT going to be a typical Starbucks that you'd find on every street corner, I can almost guarantee that! Plus, Starbucks is not the first corporation to come into Disney World. McDonald's had a presence in Disney, and many other brands still have a presence in Disney. LTT is sponsored by Craisins, TTA is sponsored by Alamo, the Land is (was?) sponsored by Nestle, and the list goes on. Brawny even tells us how to wash our hands in the bathroom... They all have brand logos on their sign. This is nothing new.

I don't think the look or feel of Main St. is in danger any more than it's endangered by the enormous gift shop taking up the entire left side (the Emporium.) I doubt they sold that many t-shirts or coffee mugs in the early 1900's.

PLEASE look at how Starbucks was incorporated into DCA: http://www.disneyfoodblog.com/2012/0...ith-starbucks/

I think this is the most likely scenario. Given how they incorporated the DCA location into the area so well and that they spent so much on the refurb on the facade earlier this year, I doubt the exterior will actually change that much. It could even very well still be called the Main St Bakery (in my opinion it will keep the name but )

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf29 View Post
Is it not possible that the Bakery will remain pretty much the same and just have Starbucks signage blended into it? I'd be pretty shocked to see the new place not blended in to the rest of Main St. I'll remain optimistic until I hear otherwise.

Almost 6 Weeks at Disney.... it's Happened! October & November 2013! Trip Report and Food Review to Follow Soon

Starbucks has arrived at WDW! MK, EPCOT and soon the entire World!
Add me on Twitter: @OzGoofyPrincess

Last edited by Disney_Princess83; 11-09-2012 at 10:56 PM.
Disney_Princess83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 10:55 PM   #98
scottny
You better have crackers
I heard of light reading, never wet reading
I still won't go in the ocean because of

I see it this way. DCA is not the Magic Kingdom and if they were keeping it the bakery and just putting Starbucks coffee in would be one thing but it sounds like they are changing it up from the article. I have no problem with Epcot and even a cart at MK but to do it to the bakery is just not right.
scottny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 10:58 PM   #99
Planogirl
I feel the nerd in me stirring already
Oh well, let's look on the bright side
If I hadn't been so wiped out I would have kissed my anesthesiologist

I'm glad that I can get my chai lattes and banana bread but I do think that it's a shame that both can't be there. I guess that it's financially better for Disney...
Old 11-09-2012, 11:00 PM   #100
Peachkins
DIS Veteran

I really do hope that the end product is basically the Main Street Bakery featuring Starbucks coffee products. That I wouldn't mind at all. It would be really sad to see the bakery and some of the treats made there (cinnamon rolls!) disappear.
Peachkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 11:11 PM   #101
traviesojmt
DIS Veteran

Location: Wherever the USAF sends us, which is currently Colorado

I don't know, I have to admit that I still haven't forgiven the bakery for getting rid of my French toast loaf. I don't drink coffee and my DH does not like Starbucks coffee. If it turns out to only sell Starbucks products, I can't see our family spending our money there. I do think it will remain with the theme of Main St though. I don't envision a normal Starbucks store.
1996 - Day Trip**2000 - All-Star Sports**2001 - POFQ**2005 - Shades of Green/Animal Kingdom Lodge - 12 DAYS YEAH** Aug 2006 - POFQ - 10 Days** Feb 2007 - Pop Century - 10 days**June 18-21, 2007 - Beach Club Resort - 1st trip without the kids.**June 20-July 2, 2008 - SOG**May 26-June 6, 2009 - Beach Club/Contemporary**May 30-June 4, 2010 - POFQ **May 28-June 8, 2011 Coronado Springs**May 29-June 8, 2013 - Beach Club/Animal Kingdom Villas
traviesojmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 11:13 PM   #102
Bonniec
DIS Veteran

I'll reserve judgement until after it's built. I'm totally fine with a Starbucks in there. But want it to have the same look and keep the same bakery treats we all love. Looking at the pics of the one in DL, it looks like they did that.
Old 11-09-2012, 11:15 PM   #103
Bullseye
Faithful Companion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peachkins View Post
I really do hope that the end product is basically the Main Street Bakery featuring Starbucks coffee products. That I wouldn't mind at all. It would be really sad to see the bakery and some of the treats made there (cinnamon rolls!) disappear.
Yes this exactly! If they will continue to sell all the same bakery items including the candied and carmel apples (I love those apples), as well as a great cup of coffee, I'm all for it. But, if all they have on the shelves is the same stuff Starbucks sells, then that would be a bummer.

Ballad Of Bullseye ~ Bullseye my pony, Bullseye my pride, Bullseye mi amigo, Bullseye I will ride. Across the wide prairie, beneath the blue sky, We'll ride on forever just me and Bullseye...

Bullseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 11:16 PM   #104
yooperfan
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBdisneyMC View Post

Sponsoring a ride is not the same as selling your product in the park. As far as mcDonalds goes, look how well that turned out in AK and MK. My real concern is space. They really didn't have enough room when it was a bakery, can you imagine the congestion they'll have now?
Old 11-09-2012, 11:16 PM   #105
scottny
You better have crackers
I heard of light reading, never wet reading
I still won't go in the ocean because of

deleted

Last edited by scottny; 11-10-2012 at 12:01 AM.
scottny is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: