Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-09-2012, 06:07 PM   #1
kennedyparalegal
kennedyparalegal

Frustrated

I am trying to get a hold of my travel agent with a last minute problem/change and no one is returning my calls, so I thought I would ask here to see what I can expect.

We are scheduled to leave on the November 18th Mexican Riviera cruise. My husband and I are to be in one room and my DS21, DD16 and DS15 are scheduled to be in the other. DS21 has just announced that he cannot leave campus and miss his classes on Monday and Tuesday as originally planned (I know, we are not happy with him, but it looks like this is the way it is going to have to be).

I am guessing that there has to be an adult in the second room. My questions are:

1. Does the adult have to be physically in the second room or can we get away with having one of us on that room on Paper without actually have to bunk with the kiddos?
2. Is this a difficult thing to change?
3. Can we expect any refund/credit toward a future cruise for the one less passenger? (We neglected to get insurance this time)

Its not the end of the world if we don't, just would be nice.

Thanks,
Patti
kennedyparalegal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 06:31 PM   #2
twindaddy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennedyparalegal View Post
I am trying to get a hold of my travel agent with a last minute problem/change and no one is returning my calls, so I thought I would ask here to see what I can expect.

We are scheduled to leave on the November 18th Mexican Riviera cruise. My husband and I are to be in one room and my DS21, DD16 and DS15 are scheduled to be in the other. DS21 has just announced that he cannot leave campus and miss his classes on Monday and Tuesday as originally planned (I know, we are not happy with him, but it looks like this is the way it is going to have to be).

I am guessing that there has to be an adult in the second room. My questions are:

1. Does the adult have to be physically in the second room or can we get away with having one of us on that room on Paper without actually have to bunk with the kiddos?
2. Is this a difficult thing to change?
3. Can we expect any refund/credit toward a future cruise for the one less passenger? (We neglected to get insurance this time)

Its not the end of the world if we don't, just would be nice.

Thanks,
Patti
Disney does not care who sleeps where. That is not a big deal, and they will issue extra key cards to any rooms / people you need. Sometimes they check in person will move an adult "on paper" to the other room, but once you step on the ship, no one cares who is where. Teenagers across the hall in inside rooms with adults in the balcony is VERY common, I will be there in a few years with my little princesses.

I think you are out of luck on DS21's cruise fare, you will get a refund of his port charges and any prepaid gratuities / excursions / transfer Someone else will chime in here....but I think the money is down the toilet.
twindaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-09-2012, 08:48 PM   #3
Luckymomoftwo
DIS Veteran

So sorry that he waited so long to tell you he can't go. Unfortunately, once you're within 14 days of your sail date there is no refund. I hope the rest of you have a wonderful time on your cruise!!!

Luckymomoftwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 08:58 PM   #4
lbgraves
Little Cinderella's Mommy
The bad news is...they are driving me nuts!!!

I believe that if you cancel the 21 yo's reservation that will in effect cancel the entire room since there will no longer be an adult in it. You will need to do a name change to get around this, if it is not too late -- and it also depends on whether or not DCL will recognize the kid you leave in the room as an original name - they usually require the lead name to stay the same. If they do not allow this, then you would have to cancel the entire room, lose most of that fare, then add the two kids to your room [if there is space] at the current 3rd & 4th person fare. There will probably be a charge for this. You need to move yourself to the kids' room, and one of the kids to your room. You can then cancel your 21 yo and at this point you won't be recovering much of his fare.

I would call DCL now and find out what their policy is...even if you have to ask them hypothetically. They won't change the reservation since it is with a TA, but you should be able to find out what can and cannot be done. Good luck!

Magic: E 11/15/2003, W 12/4/2004, E 12/10/2005, W DD w/ CM 12/9/2006, EBPC 8/2008, W 1/8/2011
Wonder: 3N 1/11/2010, Alaska 7/26/11
Fantasy: MV W w/ CM 3/31/2012, E w/ SJ 3/23/2013

DCL 2016 Opening Day Pricing Thread Pt 1: January - April
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #3 August - December
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #2 April - August

Past Opening Day Pricing Threads
lbgraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 09:24 PM   #5
DesertGal
Mouseketeer

Maybe they will just let you move yourself to that room in name only and act as if he is still going on that cruise but know he won't show up.

Otherwise if you move yourself into that room, the rate will go up on your old room (because they will charge for two adults) !!

Can't you talk to his professors? Surely they can understand??

Our dreams come true:
DS Alec 7
DD Olivia 5
DesertGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 09:26 PM   #6
kcashner
DIS Veteran

You have a couple of options as I see it. If there is another adult you would like to put on the reservation, you could do so for the price of a name change fee. That's a lot less than losing an entire fare. Since you are less than 14 days from embarkation, you would lose the entire cruise fare portion of the ticket. I believe the change fee is $50 if there is a friend, cousin, grandparent, or whomever that might choose to use the fare.

Next best--your TA has a great relationship with DCL and can convince them to do a bit of a passenger shuffle at no cost to you--they can move DH to the other room and move one of the kids to the room with you. That covers the adult issue and you can still SLEEP wherever you wish. You'll lose the one fare, but still have the cruise intact.

I honestly think that they will work with you on this IF the TA knows how to make it happen. Here's hoping your TA has Saturday hours!
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: