Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-09-2012, 02:39 PM   #571
mom2of2
Let the good times strolllllll!
Don't we just get tickeled at the smallest things?

Yes, just let the server know who is with who
Old 11-20-2012, 04:09 AM   #572
fla4fun
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDC Nala View Post
I don't know where this "people on the dining plan get bad service" comes from, really. Dining plan doesn't equal bad service.
I think this is a carryover from the days when the gratuity was included in the dining plan meals. At that time, if the server knew you were on the DP, they knew their gratuity was already paid and there will always be a few servers who consider that license to pull back on service and give their attention to the tables that haven't prepaid their gratuity.

However, since the gratuity is no longer included, a person on the DP and a person paying cash are pretty much equal now - in fact, since the diners on the DP tend to order the more expensive items on the menu (and tips should be based on what you would have paid OOP for the meal) the servers have extra incentive now to be more attentive to the DP diners than the cash diners in many cases.

It really comes down to the individual server. If you have a good server, you will get good service regardless of how you are paying for the meal.
fla4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-03-2012, 10:56 AM   #573
jimaok
Mouseketeer

We are traveling to WDW on Dec 7 at will have the DDP for 9 people. I did the online check in which required a credit card (which I provided). I really don't want to be billed twice for DDP tips (I intend to use cash for the tips). I don't want any surprizes on my credit card. Since we are a party of 9 I know the tip is autimatically included but is it charged to my KTTW? Should I tell them at check in I don't want anything charged to my credit card? Will I know what's been charged or not when I receive my meal receipt? Thanks you.
jimaok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 11:59 AM   #574
mom2of2
Let the good times strolllllll!
Don't we just get tickeled at the smallest things?

You don't have to have charging privledges on your room card if you don't want them

When you get the check let the server know you will be tipping in cash. You will receive your card back with areas to sign and there will be a balance due for the tip.
Old 12-06-2012, 01:10 PM   #575
aj2703
Addicted To Disney

Going back to the first post.

The gratuity is included (on DDP and OOP).

It is just myself and my son going. How does this work then if you are on the DDP as you don't pay in cash do you. isn't it credits or something..?
aj2703 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 01:21 PM   #576
jenseib
Mommy to Claire

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj2703 View Post
Going back to the first post.

The gratuity is included (on DDP and OOP).

It is just myself and my son going. How does this work then if you are on the DDP as you don't pay in cash do you. isn't it credits or something..?
Only a couple of places include the tips. Which place are you talking about
jenseib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 02:11 PM   #577
aj2703
Addicted To Disney

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenseib View Post
Only a couple of places include the tips. Which place are you talking about
I am not talking about any particular restaurant, I'm just talking generally. I don't go till September.
Old 12-06-2012, 02:14 PM   #578
jenseib
Mommy to Claire

Quote:
I am not talking about any particular restaurant, I'm just talking generally. I don't go till September.
Ok then, tips are not included then. you have to pay that additionally whether you use the dining plan or pay out of pocket
Old 12-06-2012, 02:18 PM   #579
aj2703
Addicted To Disney

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenseib View Post
Ok then, tips are not included then. you have to pay that additionally whether you use the dining plan or pay out of pocket
Right so for me it will be pay in cash then. Thanks.
Old 12-06-2012, 02:34 PM   #580
jenseib
Mommy to Claire

Quote:
Right so for me it will be pay in cash then. Thanks.
It's the same for anyone. They can pay cash, or use a credit card or use the key to the world that has the credit card attached to it or use a Disney gift card.
Old 12-16-2012, 03:44 PM   #581
forever-maria
Earning My Ears

I have a question, not about how much to tip but how to split tips.

There are four of us. We are on the dining plan, so only have to pay tip out of pocket. One is vegetarian, one is vegetarian usually but will eat fish, two are carnivores... I believe it is a fact that the vegetarian meals will usually be cheaper. Do you think we should just split the tip evenly? Do you think I will offend the vegetarians if I suggest that? I don't want it to be unfair to them but I also really don't feel like taking out a calculator after every meal... Another option was to pitch in unevenly to a gift card and then use that for tips, eg the vegetarians pay $20 each and carnivores pay $30 each, which kind of adjusts for the difference in meal price? Or maybe I'm over thinking things.

What would you do?
forever-maria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 04:14 PM   #582
Alesia
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by forever-maria View Post
I have a question, not about how much to tip but how to split tips.

There are four of us. We are on the dining plan, so only have to pay tip out of pocket. One is vegetarian, one is vegetarian usually but will eat fish, two are carnivores... I believe it is a fact that the vegetarian meals will usually be cheaper. Do you think we should just split the tip evenly? Do you think I will offend the vegetarians if I suggest that? I don't want it to be unfair to them but I also really don't feel like taking out a calculator after every meal... Another option was to pitch in unevenly to a gift card and then use that for tips, eg the vegetarians pay $20 each and carnivores pay $30 each, which kind of adjusts for the difference in meal price? Or maybe I'm over thinking things.

What would you do?
You're over-thinking things Just handle it the same way you would in any restaurant.

Most people just ask for separate checks and then tip on their own check.

Alesia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 04:44 PM   #583
forever-maria
Earning My Ears

Thank you! That seems so obvious now I don't know why I didn't think of it.... I guess for some reason I thought you couldn't get separate checks if you were all in the same room and on the same dining plan. Anyway, thank you for solving my problem!! Two weeks and two weeks until we leave! I absolutely cannot wait
forever-maria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 05:14 PM   #584
minnie56
Whatever it is, he said it is prone to these pits
We iced it last night
And Fanny's your Aunt"

YES! Overthinking..
Split it evenly-4 ways. It will work out in the wash somewhere..
minnie56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 06:49 AM   #585
hljoo8
Earning My Ears

Ok I have a question about tipping on free dining. We have never done any dining plan before so I have no idea how the receipts look. Will our receipt have the amount the meal would have cost if we weren't using dining plan credits? That's all I need to figure up my tips on the spot but I want to be sure there will be an amount somewhere, even if we aren't actually paying anything for our meals. No way am I going to try to figure up ahead of time what we would eat and how much it would cost! I'll just carry enough cash on me to handle the tips as we go
hljoo8 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: