Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-09-2012, 10:26 AM   #1
RweTHEREyet
What makes you think the Tag Fairy doesn't know you?? :D
Will get my Grapefruit Cake at Starring Rolls from now on!
I can't stand not having another trip booked!

New to having a Handicap tag for car, have a question

I was issued a temporary handicap tag for my car by my Dr. to use mainly for our trip to WDW. Herniated disk causes some walking issues.

Last night I was at my local Costco and I noticed that there are handicap spaces marked "van accessible". I am curious to know if those spots are limited to van use only and if a regular car would get a ticket if they used one of the spots. I certainly recognize that common courtesy would dictate to leave those spots for vans, but wondered if they were only for vans.

Not looking to start any debate, just curious about what the deal is. Maybe it varies state to state. I just don't know enough about the restrictions.
Old 11-09-2012, 10:30 AM   #2
Michigan
Mom of the Rolling Crew

Location: Westland, MI in the summer Clermont, FL in the Winter

No, but it would be nice if they just made all the spaces van accessible.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-09-2012, 10:31 AM   #3
minkydog
DIS Cast Member
hey! I've got two college degrees and a steady job. if I wanna watch mindless TV, so what?
DIS Official Rum Taster
I used to be in the all-natural camp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RweTHEREyet
I was issued a temporary handicap tag for my car by my Dr. to use mainly for our trip to WDW. Herniated disk causes some walking issues.

Last night I was at my local Costco and I noticed that there are handicap spaces marked "van accessible". I am curious to know if those spots are limited to van use only and if a regular car would get a ticket if they used one of the spots. I certainly recognize that common courtesy would dictate to leave those spots for vans, but wondered if they were only for vans.

Not looking to start any debate, just curious about what the deal is. Maybe it varies state to state. I just don't know enough about the restrictions.
I don't think they are restricted to vans only. We have a handicapped tag too. We try to leave the van spaces for others but sometimes we have no other choice
Old 11-09-2012, 01:09 PM   #4
tobikaye
DIS Veteran

There are some locations near me that only have handicap spaces with "Van Accessible" on them. I think that it must be to show that that particular space has a specific clearance to allow lifts and ramps to be able to use those spaces.

I agree, I really would like more of the larger HC spots with clearance on both sides. If you have more than one person with disabilities that need to get extra space to get out of a vehicle, it makes it hard. Plus because there may not be a spot open with the extra room on the correct side, people pull over farther taking way the extra space.

When you're curious, you find lots of interesting things to do - Walt Disney
tobikaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 07:44 PM   #5
BillSears
DIS Veteran

You can park there but you should park there last. As long as regular HC spaces are available you should park in those first out of courtesy to those who need the larger spaces.
CR-77, Travelodge(DTD)-81, Poly-92, SOG-96, Offsite-97, ASMu-98, POR-03, Vistana Resort-04, WL-Sept 2006! CSR-December 2006, Pop-May 2007(first solo trip!), CSR-Sept 2007(Solo trip), and offsite-May-2008 visited Universal, SeaWorld, KSC and a couple of days at WDW. WL-March 2009 I turned 50 in WDW! May-10 Pop, Oct 2010- Pop for first F&W, Dec 2010-Pop for Christmas stuff, May 2011-POFQ. Pop Aug -14, Pop Sept-14, Pop Dec-14 and Pop May-15! Trip report from 1997:http://www.mouseplanet.com/dtp/trip....97/sears97.htm
BillSears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 11:19 PM   #6
SueM in MN
It's like combining the teacups with a roller coaster

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillSears View Post
You can park there but you should park there last. As long as regular HC spaces are available you should park in those first out of courtesy to those who need the larger spaces.

A lot of times, we find all the van accessible spots are filled with cars. If there are any left to use, they are the car accessible spots. Those are pretty much useless for us because, by the time we put the ramp down, we have used almost the whole access space and don't have room for DD to get her wheelchair off the ramp. Those access areas look large, but really are not that large.

Personally, I would be happy if either all the spaces were van accessible or if they moved the van accessible ones to be the farthest away from the entrance of the handicapped parking spots.
I'm sure many people park in them just because they may be the closest - not thinking why they are larger.

Spaceship Earth: We are all passengers together.
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans......John Lennon
Be a rainbow in someone else's cloud. Dr. Maya Angelou
trip report link in Memory of eternaldisneyfan, who lived these words: Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns. I am thankful that thorns have roses. Alphonse Karr
SueM in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 06:42 PM   #7
Michigan
Mom of the Rolling Crew

Location: Westland, MI in the summer Clermont, FL in the Winter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SueM in MN View Post

A lot of times, we find all the van accessible spots are filled with cars. If there are any left to use, they are the car accessible spots. Those are pretty much useless for us because, by the time we put the ramp down, we have used almost the whole access space and don't have room for DD to get her wheelchair off the ramp. Those access areas look large, but really are not that large.

Personally, I would be happy if either all the spaces were van accessible or if they moved the van accessible ones to be the farthest away from the entrance of the handicapped parking spots.
I'm sure many people park in them just because they may be the closest - not thinking why they are larger.
That's why we have a rear lift. I had a side lift once and that was enough for me.
Old 11-10-2012, 09:11 PM   #8
SueM in MN

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigan View Post
That's why we have a rear lift. I had a side lift once and that was enough for me.
We did look at and test drive one before we got our last van. The back ramp was nice, but the storage would not work well for our family for traveling to go see family in another state, which we do fairly often.

Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans......John Lennon
trip report link in Memory of eternaldisneyfan, who lived these words: Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns. I am thankful that thorns have roses. Alphonse Karr
Old 11-11-2012, 09:43 AM   #9
cmesq61
DIS Veteran

In my state they are not restricted to vans. I try to avoid them unless there is no other handicapped space available.

Sept '13 DCL; Jan '13 The Poly; Sept '12 BWI; Nov & Sept '11 The Poly; June '09, The Poly; Sept '08 The Poly; Jan '05, DCL
cmesq61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 11:28 AM   #10
SueM in MN

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmesq61 View Post
In my state they are not restricted to vans. I try to avoid them unless there is no other handicapped space available.
The are not restricted anywhere that I have ever heard.
It's a courtesy notification - so people using vans with lifts know which spots will accommodate them and so other people will know those are the only spots someone with a van may be able to use.

Old 11-11-2012, 02:51 PM   #11
I Love Pluto
DIS Veteran
I guess that makes me a kiddie song expert.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillSears View Post
What he said...! Agree!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: