Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > The DIS Unplugged Podcast
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-07-2012, 05:56 PM   #16
Halloweenqueen
Whenever Candle Lights Flicker...

Remember Goofy lighting the tree? Would love for that to return!
Old 11-07-2012, 10:21 PM   #17
kbelle8995
DIS Veteran

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by safetymom View Post
Welcome to Bitter Town my fellow citizens. Join me in remembering the Lights of Winter. Someone please explain to me why they couldn't have done something in that area?

Your Mayor of Bitter Town
Hey Mayor,

I'm a citizen of Bitter town. In all honestly and a good dose of cyninism, Money. But really how much does it take to put up some garland. Or some addition sparkle to the trees in the area. How about some tinsel dang it.

Future world looks like Scrooge decorated it before he got visited by the ghosts. More Garland, more lights, Put some more Christmas trees up. Oh heck put up a Menorah. BUT PLEASE DO SOMETHING. OR put Lights of Winter back.

Okay I'm finished. Thank you Mayor and fellow citizens for allowing me this moment.

Last edited by kbelle8995; 11-07-2012 at 10:31 PM.
kbelle8995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 02:58 AM   #18
Halbleib1
DIS Veteran

I also wish we would have stayed to enjoy them longer on our 2008 trip. At least we got to see them though. I agree Epcot does need more decorations in Future World. Maybe one day they will return with an LED version of Lights of Winter. I miss those and the Mickey's Christmas show in the MK. The Mickey show was a much better show than the Stitch one that replaced it in 2009.

Our First Christmas at Disney World! Staying at Pop Century December 14-24th!

Halbleib1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 03:57 AM   #19
CastawayJP
Proud to have introduced HydroFlask to the Dis

Honestly, while I would like to see them replace the Lights of Winter with something there, I kind of like that you can see the Christmas tree unobstructed down the walkway. But they could do something along the perimeter to fest it up a bit.
Past Cruises: 4/07 Wonder, 7/07 Wonder, 11/07 Wonder, 5/08 Wonder, 11/08 Magic (Western), 6/10 Wonder (5 night), 08/11 Magic (7 night Med), 2/14 Dream
CastawayJP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 06:00 AM   #20
Gator Kate

DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonny View Post
Try this.

http://youtu.be/bnHlUpuirbI

So pretty! Wish I had appreciated them more when I saw them in 2008.
Thanks for sharing that video. I had forgotten how special that was. Sad that it's gone.
Old 11-08-2012, 06:19 AM   #21
safetymom
Have will travel
ABD trips = clothes optional

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbelle8995 View Post
Hey Mayor,

I'm a citizen of Bitter town. In all honestly and a good dose of cyninism, Money. But really how much does it take to put up some garland. Or some addition sparkle to the trees in the area. How about some tinsel dang it.

Future world looks like Scrooge decorated it before he got visited by the ghosts. More Garland, more lights, Put some more Christmas trees up. Oh heck put up a Menorah. BUT PLEASE DO SOMETHING. OR put Lights of Winter back.

Okay I'm finished. Thank you Mayor and fellow citizens for allowing me this moment.
Oh I know the reason was money. I know they also used the excuse of guest safety.

I agree with you. I would be happy with some lights or decorations in that area. Anything, something would be better than nothing.

I still remember the wonderful ceremony they had lighting the tree. Why not put the tree in a larger area and invite the crowd to participate in the lighting. I loved when they had the cast members from all the countries around the tree. That was so Disney for me. I guess that is what I miss more than anything. The magical touch they brought to the holidays. Now it is like they just slapped up the decorations because they had to.
safetymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 08:32 AM   #22
kbelle8995
DIS Veteran

Wink

The best decorated parks for Christmas are MK and the Studios (This is my opinion). World Showcase actually looks nice.

The Studios used to put their Christmas tree where the hat is now. It used to be a green space and they put a nice train around it with buildings from that old Hollywood era. It was very nice and I do miss it.

I think these days in some areas they just do iffy job.

I still love the Osborne lights and it gets me in such Christmas spirit. Lights of Winter did the same thing. It made the park truly special at the holidays. Such a shame they dropped the Ball in Future world after removing it
kbelle8995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 09:29 AM   #23
ILoveWD
Mouseketeer

In 2008, we stumbled upon the Lights of Winter late at night. We did not know about them and had never seen pictures on the the internet. It was a true Disney surprise to us. They were so pretty and we had several great photos taken that night.

I was sad to see the lights were not there on our next Christmas trip.
ILoveWD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 09:45 PM   #24
disneym2m
I am only allowed to visit Disney World once every five years... darn husband. Co-host of the Virginia Dis Meet 2011.

What I find interesting is that Busch Gardens Williamsburg doesn't make nearly the money WDW does but so far every year they decorate and light up the whole park. All 200 acres is just drenched in lights. All the buildings are covered in lights. All the trees are covered in lights. AND this is not cheap.

So if Busch Gardens can do this every year I can't see why WDW can't put lights up at EPCOT.

As I walk around Busch Gardens all I can think of is how beautiful the Magic Kingdom would be all dressed in lights.

Wishful thinking I know.....LOL.
disneym2m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 10:42 AM   #25
jcb
always emerging from hibernation

The Disney Blog posted about WDW's Christmas Decorations.

I couldn't resist commenting.
Old 11-09-2012, 10:55 AM   #26
goofy4tink
Likes little devils
I know I'm getting old...I get it, I really do
Prisoner of Toy Story Mania

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by safetymom View Post
Oh I know the reason was money. I know they also used the excuse of guest safety.

I agree with you. I would be happy with some lights or decorations in that area. Anything, something would be better than nothing.

I still remember the wonderful ceremony they had lighting the tree. Why not put the tree in a larger area and invite the crowd to participate in the lighting. I loved when they had the cast members from all the countries around the tree. That was so Disney for me. I guess that is what I miss more than anything. The magical touch they brought to the holidays. Now it is like they just slapped up the decorations because they had to.
We must be drinking from the same fountain!!!! I loved that CM lighting ceremony. And I really, really loved just standing and watching the LoW!! It wasn't the huge safety issue some seem to think it was. Yes, people stood there and watched but it didn't make it impossible for people to get through. If you wanted quicker access, you just used the walkways over by either TT or the Rose Garden area.
But now??? Epcot looks barren...no holiday feelings at all.
goofy4tink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 12:34 PM   #27
kgibbler20
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halbleib1
I also wish we would have stayed to enjoy them longer on our 2008 trip. At least we got to see them though. I agree Epcot does need more decorations in Future World. Maybe one day they will return with an LED version of Lights of Winter. I miss those and the Mickey's Christmas show in the MK. The Mickey show was a much better show than the Stitch one that replaced it in 2009.
I was just talking to my mom about the Mickey's Night Before Christmas and how much it out shines the stupid Stitch show. 2008 was a great year for Christmas!
6/05 - First Trip 12/06 - Merry Christmas 11/07 - Mom's suprise!! & SSW October 23 - November 4, 2008 - 3 days at sea, 10 days on land... Halloween Here We Come!!3/09 & 7/09 - Short visits with a friend... 10/09 - finally became a resident now at least monthly visits

kgibbler20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 10:08 AM   #28
Michele
You're never too old to sit in a little chair and enjoy a Mickey Mouse cartoon
I am a scrapbook dummy

The last time I saw them.....December 2007
May 2010 Off-site *~* Dec 2013-DISAPALOOZA! *~* May 2014 Yacht Club

Michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 10:40 AM   #29
15isto2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michele View Post

The last time I saw them.....December 2007
Please disney give us them back, I promice if you do I will but more DVC points

15isto2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 06:56 PM   #30
scjo68
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneym2m View Post
What I find interesting is that Busch Gardens Williamsburg doesn't make nearly the money WDW does but so far every year they decorate and light up the whole park. All 200 acres is just drenched in lights. All the buildings are covered in lights. All the trees are covered in lights. AND this is not cheap.

So if Busch Gardens can do this every year I can't see why WDW can't put lights up at EPCOT.

As I walk around Busch Gardens all I can think of is how beautiful the Magic Kingdom would be all dressed in lights.

Wishful thinking I know.....LOL.
I agree, Melissa!
I love Christmas Town at Busch Gardens!
I have never been to WDW at Christmas, but I would certainly think they would do as much decorating as Busch Gardens.
Aug. 2013 POP, Nov. 2013 CR, Aug. 2014 POP
scjo68 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: