Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-08-2012, 11:35 PM   #1
gobo2
Drug Lord/Dance Mom

Question Say it ain't sO'hana!

What is with all the O'hana hate? Had it always been here but since I'd never eaten there until my last trip I didn't notice? I didn't think the food was amazing but it was really yummy and fresh and super fun. My DH, DD12 and her DBFF 12 all thought it was their absolute favorite?

So... is it suddenly bad with the menu changes this year or is everyone just cranky?

http://www.wdwinfo.com/images/smilies/yay.gif
Jan 2013 DD13 brings a friend! It's a whole new World.
Too many in between to count

gobo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 11:36 PM   #2
gobo2
Drug Lord/Dance Mom

Ha! I did the smile wrong!
Jan 2013 DD13 brings a friend! It's a whole new World.
Too many in between to count

gobo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-09-2012, 06:55 AM   #3
Nancyg56
DIS Veteran

I cannot speak to the new menu changes for a few weeks but I will say I am not an 'Ohana fan. It's okay but I don't understand why it is one of the most requested restaurants onsite. We always go because my family love love loves it but I would skip it in a heartbeat. I will say that I have always enjoyed the dessert and on the occasions that my son and DDIL are with us he will ask the server for an extra right off the bat.
Old 11-09-2012, 07:08 AM   #4
GenevieveRaqs
DIS Veteran

There's a lot of hate for a lot of different restaurants around here. Some of our favorites get slammed frequently. But that's okay! We all have different tastes, and it means it's easier for me to get an ADR.
GenevieveRaqs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 07:13 AM   #5
angelmom27
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenevieveRaqs
There's a lot of hate for a lot of different restaurants around here. Some of our favorites get slammed frequently. But that's okay! We all have different tastes, and it means it's easier for me to get an ADR.
Yep I agree. Everyones opinion of a place is different.
Old 11-09-2012, 07:17 AM   #6
goofyintoronto
Proud foot flusher
I really wanted to like it, but I didn't

I have to ask, what new menu changes are you talking about? the menu has been the same for a long time now. Potstickers, wings, noodles, salad, meats, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancyg56 View Post
I cannot speak to the new menu changes for a few weeks but I will say I am not an 'Ohana fan. It's okay but I don't understand why it is one of the most requested restaurants onsite. We always go because my family love love loves it but I would skip it in a heartbeat. I will say that I have always enjoyed the dessert and on the occasions that my son and DDIL are with us he will ask the server for an extra right off the bat.
I dont get it either. Its not the best in terms of food, so why its so popular i'll never know. My guess is that its the all-you-can eat factor that appeals to a lot of folks. That plays a huge part. Quality of food isnt good thou.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenevieveRaqs View Post
Its still not easy to get an ADR at Ohana thou. Go figure. LOL!

Speaking for myself and my son only, of course, I have to say we were NOT impressed with the food at Ohana. We were kinda looking forward to it because the menu looked GREAT, and this place does get a lot of praise. I didnt go in with high expectations thou, because of all the mixed reviews. Well, we were not impressed with most items there. My son loooves wings, but he didnt care for these. They were too slimy he says, and i totally agree. Potstickers were dry, the noodles were too (a bit). The steak wasnt great, pork chop was beyond gross (mainly cause of the sauce), chicken was the best meat out of the three. My faves were: bread, salad and dessert. But thats it. Needless to say, we wont be back. Quite a disappointment. So for us, it was the quality of food. Just wasnt great.

Everyone is different thou. Some people love it, and thats great. To each their own right.

........."Please stand clear of the doors. Por favor, mantengase alejado de las puertas".........

AUGUST "2013" DINING REVIEW / AUGUST "2012" DINING REVIEW
goofyintoronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 07:19 AM   #7
AlohaAnnie
DIS Veteran

I think if a restaurant looks good to you, you should try it.

We love the Disney Buffets, a lot do not but we think they are wonderful with many choices for our family.

Our favorites are crystal palace & cape may.

We also like Ohana and return for dinner every trip. We have never had bad service or food here. We love the entertainment.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

POR June 2006 POP May/June 2008 CBR Pirate Room & BC May/June 2009 Vero Beach & CSR & AKV Kidani May/June 2010 BLT Oct 2010 BWV March/April 2011 AKV Kidani Dec 2011 BCV/BLT June 2013
WL CL & AKV - Jambo Studio CL March/April2014 AKV Kidani June 2016

June 2013 Dining Report PTR Spring Break 2014
AlohaAnnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 07:37 AM   #8
amcnj
DIS Veteran

I have seen mixed reveiws on basically every restaurant or resort at WDW. Different things are more important to some people than to others. Some have had a bad experience at a specific restaurant due to wait times, service, food quality, would rather be served than be at a self-serve, etc, while others rave about the same place. Ohana complaints I have seen are mainly along these same lines. Some have had really long waits to get in despite their reservation time, others say the food has been cooked improperly (there is variability among the skewers or even on the same skewer due to different sized pieces being more or less cooked than others). Some say the entertainement leaves a lot to be desired. Others have had inattentive servers. But on the other hand, there are a many who love the food, have had great service and enjoyed the overall experience. On our last trip it was voted the favorite meal of the trip. Our server was great, the food was prepared well and tasty and we left satisfied.
amcnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 07:53 AM   #9
discookiemonsta
Mouseketeer

We have only tried breakfast once and we were less than impressed For that reason alone, we will not be trying dinner there anytime soon...

Me(35) DH(35) DD(10) & DD(7)

discookiemonsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 08:00 AM   #10
goofyintoronto
Proud foot flusher
I really wanted to like it, but I didn't

Quote:
Originally Posted by discookiemonsta View Post
We have only tried breakfast once and we were less than impressed For that reason alone, we will not be trying dinner there anytime soon...
Funny, I hated the dinner but LOVED the breakfast.

........."Please stand clear of the doors. Por favor, mantengase alejado de las puertas".........

AUGUST "2013" DINING REVIEW / AUGUST "2012" DINING REVIEW
goofyintoronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 08:27 AM   #11
kris4360
DIS Veteran

We loved the dinner. We will be going back next week, I'll let you know if we still like it!
kris4360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 08:28 AM   #12
My2Angels
Mickey Moms Club member

Please say it isn't true!!

Someone told me this weekend, while I was at WDW, that they removed the pot stickers from the dinner. PLEASE tell me this is not true! We all love the pot stickers! Does anyone know??

Dream 2014, YC CL 2013, Dream 2012, Poly 2012, BWI 2012, POR 2012, BC 2011, Poly 2010, POR 2010, Swan 2009, POR 2009, POR 2008, AsSP 2007, CR 2007
My2Angels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 08:34 AM   #13
taylor3297
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by discookiemonsta View Post
We ate there once for breakfast. Worse service I ever had at any restaurant at WDW. Our waiter did even greet us until we had been seated for 30 minutes. A guy that was cooking, noticed we had been there for awhile and he brought us bread to eat while waiting.

I caught the attention of a waiter and was told sorry this isn't my table and I asked if she could help me find out who our waiter was. She said no and walked off.

Once we got service, the food was fine and my dd enjoyed the characters and the parade around the dining room.

We were there so long we actually were visited by the characters twice.

Yes, I complained to the manager and he said sorry. In the end we were just glad to get out of there and have not been back since.

As to others have stated, our favorites get bashed all the time.
Old 11-09-2012, 08:38 AM   #14
TruBlu
I was very excited to see how yummy it looks!
You can do what we do and go to BOTH!
I could have been contender.... instead, I'm just itchy

I don't think there is any restaurant that is universally loved on the DIS. Go for yourself and make your own decisions.

As for me and my fam, we are haters. Worst service we ever had. Food below average on our visit. So bad we're not willing to try again, but as others have said - that opens up an ADR for people who love it.

"Not all treasure is silver and gold, mate." -Captain Jack Sparrow

TruBlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 09:08 AM   #15
Maggie'sMom
DIS Veteran

As PPs have mentioned, every person will have their own opinion on it and each restaurant at WDW will have people who love it and people who hate it.

We've had dinner at Ohana twice and loved it. Our dinner there in May was even better than the dinner we had in 2010. It's on my list of "must do" ADRs. I've never had breakfast there so I can't comment on that.
Maggie'sMom is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: