Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 11-08-2012, 02:11 PM   #901
kelleigh1
Disney Baby
I sleep with Pooh & Mickey
Kicked off the school bus

Trying to decide between POR and CSR for our next trip, so I'm following both threads. I'm going to have a lot of reading to do.

We just returned from a stay at YC and we thought it was just ok. We didn't take advantage of many of the Deluxe amenities though. It's just not us, probably because we're so used to living on a budget that even when we splurge, we don't know how to live it up.

On our previous two trips (there's just hubby and I), we stayed at POFQ the first time (LOVED it) and then CBR the next time. We weren't really fans for CBR. Of the 3 places we've stayed, it's our least favorite.

So now we want to try another mod, so it's either POR or CSR. We're looking at mid-November of next year. Probably going to book after the first of the year, so we've got about 2 months to figure out where we want to stay.

I look forward to reading this thread and hearing what you all have to say about POR!

Childless doesn't mean that we're not a family. MLA RLA

Old 11-08-2012, 03:16 PM   #902
Clamesa
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelleigh1 View Post
Trying to decide between POR and CSR for our next trip, so I'm following both threads. I'm going to have a lot of reading to do.
CSR is our home resort. We have stayed in there 6 times and just love it !! But after of almost 2 years lurking in the POR Unofficial website and the DIS forums (and sharing information, photos etc with DH and DS ) we decided it was time to try something new.

April-May 2004 All star Music. My very first time in Disney. September 2004 All star Movies. Disney + Universal. Our first weeding anniversary. January 2010. CSR. Our son first time in Disney. May 2011. CSR. Mother's Day celebration at Disney. April-May2012.CSR: My birthday celebration In Disney. November 2012. POR RGR: Thanskgiving at Disney. September 2013 CSR our 10th wedding anniversary. September 2014 POR our 11 wedding anniversary.
DH DS Me
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-08-2012, 03:33 PM   #903
darose1234
Loves Anything Disney

Quote:
Originally Posted by darose1234 View Post
So we will be at POR in February and I read that you can take the blizzard beach bus to get to the WinterSummerland Minigolf but blizzard beach will be closed for rehab, any suggestions on how to get their from POR? Thank you
No one able to answer my question?
Old 11-08-2012, 03:35 PM   #904
Clamesa
Mouseketeer

One more question: Does the Pirate Cruise at POR is just for kids or may we be allow to go with my son ?

April-May 2004 All star Music. My very first time in Disney. September 2004 All star Movies. Disney + Universal. Our first weeding anniversary. January 2010. CSR. Our son first time in Disney. May 2011. CSR. Mother's Day celebration at Disney. April-May2012.CSR: My birthday celebration In Disney. November 2012. POR RGR: Thanskgiving at Disney. September 2013 CSR our 10th wedding anniversary. September 2014 POR our 11 wedding anniversary.
DH DS Me

Last edited by Clamesa; 11-08-2012 at 03:49 PM.
Old 11-08-2012, 04:27 PM   #905
mommy2jack
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clamesa View Post
One more question: Does the Pirate Cruise at POR is just for kids or may we be allow to go with my son ?
The Bayou Pirate Adventure is only for kids... but sounds super fun!

http://www.portorleans.org/recreation.php

We are thinking about booking it for our 4 year old in May!

There is also a Pirate and Pals cruise which is more for the whole family. That departs from the Contemporary resort.

http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/tou...eworks-voyage/

Also sounds fun. But my son is not big into the 'characters' so we're thinking the Pirate Adventure would be better for him.
Me , DH , DS (6) , DD (3), (baby #3, arriving April '15)
Old 11-08-2012, 05:14 PM   #906
Venomhatch
DisDads #708
Cast Member - Resort
It's a growing curiosity
I got carted off in the meat wagon

Location: Originally from Newport News, VA but Home is Kissimmee, FL

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelleigh1 View Post

We just returned from a stay at YC and we thought it was just ok. We didn't take advantage of many of the Deluxe amenities though. It's just not us, probably because we're so used to living on a budget that even when we splurge, we don't know how to live it up.

On our previous two trips (there's just hubby and I), we stayed at POFQ the first time (LOVED it) and then CBR the next time. We weren't really fans for CBR. Of the 3 places we've stayed, it's our least favorite.

So now we want to try another mod, so it's either POR or CSR. We're looking at mid-November of next year. Probably going to book after the first of the year, so we've got about 2 months to figure out where we want to stay.

I look forward to reading this thread and hearing what you all have to say about POR!
Well with POR you have access to DTD through two different modes of transport. One Bus and the other Boat. POR has everything with in a few minutes walk with three different accommodation themes. You have the regular Mansions, Alligator Bayou, and Royal Guest Themed. It is about the same travel time from the resorts to the parks.

Just some of my opinions. Between the two I favor POR.
Old 11-08-2012, 05:27 PM   #907
bluejasmine
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by darose1234

No one able to answer my question?
I really have no idea, when you check in at the resort they can tell you or even when your on the bus going somewhere else on property ask a bus driver they'd know better than anyone!

Sorry wish I knew!

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards
ASMo 2003/2005, ASMu 2009,Pop 2006/2013, SSR 2008, Poly CL 2010/2011/2013, GF CL 2012, AKL 2011, CR 2011, BC CL 2012, POR 2005/2012, CBR 2011, DCL Fantasy 2012, Hilton DTD 2011(2x) Best Western DTD 2010/2012
Old 11-08-2012, 06:02 PM   #908
JessiMommy
DIS Veteran

Thank you so much Venomhatch for your help and advice for my upcoming trip in 2 days!!! Woo hoo!!!!

Most recent visits...
AKL ~ September 14-21, 2013
AoA ~ January 27-February 3, 2013
POR ~ November 10-17, 2012
Old 11-08-2012, 07:39 PM   #909
Venomhatch
DisDads #708
Cast Member - Resort
It's a growing curiosity
I got carted off in the meat wagon

Location: Originally from Newport News, VA but Home is Kissimmee, FL

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessiMommy View Post
Thank you so much Venomhatch for your help and advice for my upcoming trip in 2 days!!! Woo hoo!!!!
Yeah, no problem. Glad we were able to sprinkle you trip with some pixie dust! Have a magical stay here at Disney World!
Old 11-09-2012, 12:32 AM   #910
Dixiemom
DIS Veteran

Preferred Locations Question

From the map it looks like there are no preferred locations in the mansion section. Is this correct? Hoping for a mansion room in close proximity to the main building and maybe 'Ol Man River Island.....thoughts?

Lynn, mom of 2

DS 14, DD 10
Old 11-09-2012, 01:12 AM   #911
jerseygirl81
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clamesa View Post
CSR is our home resort. We have stayed in there 6 times and just love it !! But after of almost 2 years lurking in the POR Unofficial website and the DIS forums (and sharing information, photos etc with DH and DS ) we decided it was time to try something new.
We have stayed at CSR 3 times and also love it. We are planning a trip in August and staying at POR. I'm hoping you will give a little review of your stay there. Have a great trip!! Linda
Pop Dec 09
CBR Nov 11
CSR Aug 12
POR Nov 13
Wyndham Bonnet Creek Aug 14
Old 11-09-2012, 05:26 AM   #912
andrewilley
Port Orleans Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dixiemom View Post
From the map it looks like there are no preferred locations in the mansion section. Is this correct?
Correct, as it says in the FAQ the only preferred locations are in buildings 14, 15, 18 and 27. So if you want a mansion building room, don't book Preferred category.

The Water View and some River and Garden View rooms in Acadian House and Magnolia Terrace do still give very easy access to the main buildings though (a short walk across the bridge via Ol' Man Island) so you could try requesting those locations.

Andre

For more info on the Port Orleans resorts, please visit www.portorleans.org
Now including a Trip Report forum - any comments on your POR/POFQ stays are welcome

Days Inn Lakeside: Apr/May 89 Disney's Wilderness Lodge: Feb 99Disney's Beach Club: Sep 07, Sep 09
Disney's Dixie Landings: Jul/Aug 95, Oct 96, Sep/Oct 97, Feb 99
Disney's Port Orleans Riverside: Sep/Oct 02, Jun 04, May/Jun 05, May 06, Oct 07, Aug 08, Aug 09, Feb 10, Halloween 10, Aug 11, Aug 12, Feb 13, Aug 13... and coming next, Aug 14
Old 11-09-2012, 09:49 AM   #913
Hoodie
Going to BC and GF with one week's planning
The snappers go for you and the painteds pee on you. Either way, they never seemed very grateful!

Just got back from our Royal Room stay at POR! We had a WONDERFUL time. Minor irritations with some buses (45 minute wait for an EPCOT bus at 9am?!? Really!?!) Resort was lovely as usual. Pretty crowded (and even moreso when we left)

Overall a great stay, but my comments on the Royal Rooms are not too positive. Disney either spent too little money on the rehab or too much for the quality they got. We had 3 Royal Rooms and they all looked pretty worn already. On the positive side, everyone LOVED the headboards (although when my 3 year old decided we needed the "stars" at 5:30 in the morning they weren't quite as lovely) decor-wise they are a bit on the over-done-Vegas-tacky side, but that's just personal preference. However, 2 of the 3 rooms had visible mold on the outside of the blinds, the gold paint is chipping off the lightswitches and revealing the lovely yellow plastic underneath. A weird probably only nitpicky to me item was that even though all the faucets and hardware was gold, the door handle and hinges on the bathroom door were brushed nickel. We just redid our bathrooms so I noticed the mismatch immediately. We also laughed that with all the specially designed gold items, the 2 things you can get already in gold or brass from any Home Depot were the mismatches. Some of the gold faucets are looking tarnished already. Our bathroom was in serious need of a renovation. Some of the grout was eroding and leaving deep trenches while in other areas the grout was smeared over the tiles. There were also paint splatters/drips on the tiles. If our contractor had left our bathroom like that, we wouldn't have given the final payment. There was also a funky waterstain on the ceiling in the shower. Finally, some of the linens were already worn and the buttons on the bolsters were starting to come off. Pretty poor quality on items that are less than a year old.

Mousekeeping was atrocious. We opened the drawer to put our clothes away and there was hair in the drawer. There was also a pile of hair/dust in the corner in the bathroom. The soapdish in the shower still had white residue on it. By day 2 they had remedied it, but left 3 sets of towels...in a four person room. By far Tuesday was the worst. We returned to our room and found they had left 2 bottles of cleanser - one in the shower and one on the table, had left the coffee pods in the coffee maker and hadn't restocked any of the coffee items. No coffee items on Wednesday either.

None of these things impacted the fun we had (although the coffee thing came close. DH is quite cranky without his coffee!) I do plan on letting POR know so they can remedy it for others. We're pretty easy going, but I know some people would let those things upset them and I don't want someone's vacation "ruined" because mousekeeping is inept or a button on a bolster is loose (and sadly we all know someone who would let that button ruin everything!)

Overall, a good trip. Most importantly the kids loved it (it was their first trip). Oldest already asked to go back (yippee!! I have a convert!) Can't wait to start planning the next one.
Old 11-09-2012, 10:01 AM   #914
Dixiemom
DIS Veteran

Thanks Andre, you are the man!!

Lynn, mom of 2

DS 14, DD 10
Old 11-09-2012, 10:54 AM   #915
Clamesa
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy2jack View Post
The Bayou Pirate Adventure is only for kids... but sounds super fun!

http://www.portorleans.org/recreation.php

We are thinking about booking it for our 4 year old in May!

There is also a Pirate and Pals cruise which is more for the whole family. That departs from the Contemporary resort.

http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/tou...eworks-voyage/

Also sounds fun. But my son is not big into the 'characters' so we're thinking the Pirate Adventure would be better for him.
Thanks for the information !!!

DH DS Me
Closed Thread

Tags
faq, faqs, por, port orleans, port orleans riverside

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: