Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-08-2012, 03:42 PM   #1
Cond1108
Earning My Ears

Tropical fish at Castaway Cay?

Should we go snorkeling at castaway cay in the snorkeling lagoon or can you still see all the amazing sights like fish or anything like that with just regular goggles if your in the family swimming area?
Cond1108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 04:12 PM   #2
MySecondHome
Never Grow Up !

If you have room in your luggage you can bring your own snorkel gear (i do).
If your group is above 18, serenity bay normally has huge grouper looking fish, big stingrays, dolphins and an occasional barracuda. All wild.
It's really neat. If you swim out almost to the barrier buoys, there is a sand bar you can hang out on (less than 2ft deep)
SOOOO relaxing!

Sent from my iPod touch using DISBoards

Wonder 04/2009...Wonder 11/2009...Wonder 12/2009...Wonder 10/2010...Dream 03/2011...Magic 10/2011...Magic 04/2012...Dream 09/2012...Dream 10/2012 Cruise #10 Jan 2013!!...Cruise #11 Oct 2013!!

MySecondHome is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-08-2012, 06:25 PM   #3
kcashner
DIS Veteran

There are more colorful fish in the snorkel lagoon (they feed them there!). The sea life you'll see at serenity bay is very different.

As above, if you bring your own gear the snorkel lagoon is free. You must wear the vest the DCL supplies (also free), but you don't have to inflate it.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 07:31 PM   #4
69pace
Earning My Ears

When we were there this past June we found a living star fish over in Serenity Bay...that was pretty cool. I had only seen star fish as a cartoon figure or petrified..and quite dead. It would actually suck up to our hand after holding it for a moment. We found this without snorkel gear too, the water happened to be so still and clear we could see our feet in shoulder height water like we were in a pool.
69pace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 09:36 PM   #5
Mog's Mom
Mickey Fan

The family swim area is just too busy for fish-spotting, unless you get out past the traffic. Goggles don't provide the field of vision that a mask does, but they don't take up much room in your suitcase either. They'll do the job, but I prefer my mask.

If you don't get your expectations too high, you'll enjoy the snorkeling lagoon. It doesn't have the abundance of species that a natural reef or an open-water wreck does, but you will see a few of most of the species common in the area. (Check out a guide to know what you're looking at - search for "Caribbean Reef Fish Identification".) And you'll learn that even without fish, there are Great Attractions in the lagoon, if you visit the markers!

Even though it's chump change compared to the cost of the cruise, I just can't bring myself to pay $25 to rent something that costs $20 at home. We used to take all our snorkelling gear, but since airlines have become harsher about luggage, we just take masks and snorkels - it's slower without fins, but there are enough 'structures' placed in the lagoon that you can see your fill pretty easily.

If they're able to stand still for a few minutes in knee-deep water, even a kid who's afraid of putting their face in the water can experience the fish - we've had Grunts and Sergeant Majors swim around our feet, just a few feet into the water. This is an option even on a day that's too cool for swimming.

Serenity Bay sounds good... maybe this will be the year we can ditch the kids, and I'll finally experience it!

DVC Members Feb 2012, 4 Night Dream + AKL Villas Feb 2012, 11 night Med May 2011, AKL + Magic Western Caribbean Feb 2010 (Only *8* day Caribbean ever!), AKL + Magic Eastern Caribbean Feb 2009, AKL + Magic Western Caribbean Feb 2008, Animal Kingdom Lodge Feb 2007, Wilderness Campground 2005, WDW Offsite Feb 2003, WDW Offsite Feb 2002, WDW Offsite Feb 2001, WDW Doubletree Disney Downtown Nov 1998, WDW Offsite March 1991, WDW Spring Break March 1987, WDW March 1978
Mog's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 10:25 PM   #6
kcashner
DIS Veteran

DCL will also rent fins alone if you opt to bring your own snorkel and mask. It saves a bit off the package.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: