Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-08-2012, 09:04 PM   #1
catrax
Mouseketeer

Not so magical Disney call...

I rarely complain, but tonight's the night, I guess...

Just on a whim, I asked how much it would cost to add one night to the beginning of our reservation at POR. She said $62! Wow - that's too good to be true, right? No, she says, that's right - the difference between your current package and the price with the additional night is $62. So I run and talk to my husband who says "Book it!" and then I ask her to hold on while I see if I can change my flights without too much of a cost. It turns out that I could save some money by changing my flights to the night before. No brainer, right?

Wrong. I change my flights while I'm on the phone with her. Once I have hit the confirm button, I tell her I'm ready to move forward. Less than a minute later, she says, "Oh, it's $224 more." She spent the next 45 minutes trying a bunch of different things to get it back to where it was, but couldn't do it. I tried to then change my flights back to the previous day and it would cost an additional $290.

So, she says, well, don't worry, even though you're spending some extra money, there will still be plenty of magic when you get here! I get it, but come on! Her error cost me nearly $150 - I wouldn't have made the change if I knew that the room was so much for the night. After all of this, in the middle of reluctantly booking the room for that extra night and waiting for her system to update (I hadn't paid for it yet) I told her that I wanted to call the airline to see if I could work something out before committing to the extra night and she says, "Well, you said yes to the night, so there will be a charge to change it back - $65." Come on! So, if I've got this right, they can misquote the cost of the room and follow it up by telling me that I can't change my mind before I pay for the room? So infuriating!
Old 11-08-2012, 09:33 PM   #2
Sue M
DIS Veteran

You could ask to speak to a manager. Sorry this happened to you. CM must have been new, I don't ever remember a night at POR to be that price. $62? Never.
Aug 2003 WDW Marriott Courtyard, [B]Aug 2005 [/BSeaWorld, Universal, Busch Gardens Hilton Garden Inn, ]Aug 2007 WDW CBR, Jan 2008WDW WL, Aug 2008St. Pete Beach, Universal-HRH, Sea Workd & Aquatica- Hyatt Place & Doubletree, Jan 2009WDW AKL, Aug 2009Key West Sheraton Suites, Cocoa Beach Hampton Inn, & WDW POR/WL, Jan 2010WDW Poly, Jan 2011WDW POR, Aug 2011WDW POR/BC CL, Jan 2012WDW WL, Aug 2012AKL CL, Jan. 2013POFQ Aug. 2013 WDW Pop, GF, YC Jan 2014POR, Aug 2014 Universal Portofino Bay, & WDW GF,

Next trip January 2015 POR Riverside
Sue M is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-08-2012, 09:41 PM   #3
kris4360
DIS Veteran

I would think if you talk to a manager they will make it right! They should!
kris4360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 11:05 PM   #4
tamj
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by catrax View Post

Just on a whim, I asked how much it would cost to add one night to the beginning of our reservation at POR. She said $62! Wow - that's too good to be true, right? No, she says, that's right - the difference between your current package and the price with the additional night is $62. So I run and talk to my husband who says "Book it!" and then I ask her to hold on while I see if I can change my flights without too much of a cost. It turns out that I could save some money by changing my flights to the night before. No brainer, right?

Wrong. I change my flights while I'm on the phone with her. Once I have hit the confirm button, I tell her I'm ready to move forward. Less than a minute later, she says, "Oh, it's $224 more." She spent the next 45 minutes trying a bunch of different things to get it back to where it was, but couldn't do it. I tried to then change my flights back to the previous day and it would cost an additional $290.

So, she says, well, don't worry, even though you're spending some extra money, there will still be plenty of magic when you get here! I get it, but come on! Her error cost me nearly $150 - I wouldn't have made the change if I knew that the room was so much for the night. After all of this, in the middle of reluctantly booking the room for that extra night and waiting for her system to update (I hadn't paid for it yet) I told her that I wanted to call the airline to see if I could work something out before committing to the extra night and she says, "Well, you said yes to the night, so there will be a charge to change it back - $65." Come on! So, if I've got this right, they can misquote the cost of the room and follow it up by telling me that I can't change my mind before I pay for the room? So infuriating!
That's not Disney magic! Call and just talk with a manager to explain what happened. That's not right and to cost more than you could spend takes that money, I would imagine, from somewhere else in your planning/vacation. We had a horrible, HORRIBLE week at the GRAND last Dec. My dh is very leery of trying again this year, but it's do or die for us time wise so I booked the Grand for us again this Dec 16th-21st. The manger did everything he could to make it right, but he seemed to have gotten too close to that black cloud hovering over us that week. Nothing went well...I'm throwing caution to the wind and $$$ out the window to give it one more try for our 25th anniversary, our son's 9th b'day and our oldest son's graduation trip. Praying this trip is full of magic in the best Disney ways. YOU TOO!
tamj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 11:14 PM   #5
rudetreehill
Mouseketeer

If I had to guess, I'd bet that she was quoting a rate for Pop Century instead of POR. I know I booked a night in January for around $65.
Old 11-08-2012, 11:19 PM   #6
Robbi
DIS Veteran

OP, I hope it works out for you.
Tamj, I hope things are better at the Grand Floridian this time.
Robbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 01:02 AM   #7
tamj
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbi View Post
OP, I hope it works out for you.
Tamj, I hope things are better at the Grand Floridian this time.
Thank you!
tamj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 01:13 AM   #8
Halbleib1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by catrax View Post

Sorry that happened and hopefully you can get it taken care of. I would be very upset as well. However lesson learned next time do not change the flight until you are sure you have the hotel squared away first. Esp. if the price sounds too good to be true.

Good luck with everything.

Our First Christmas at Disney World! Staying at Pop Century December 14-24th!

Halbleib1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 01:43 AM   #9
Robbi
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamj View Post
Thank you!
You're welcome.
Old 11-09-2012, 01:58 AM   #10
aubriee
Chocolate always makes things better

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudetreehill View Post
If I had to guess, I'd bet that she was quoting a rate for Pop Century instead of POR. I know I booked a night in January for around $65.
That was my first thought. I've never seen any of the moderates for $62.00/night. (then again back in Dec 2006 we stayed at POFQ for $79.00/night with an AP discount--haven't seen a moderate that cheap in years though).
aubriee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 02:06 AM   #11
Robbi
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by aubriee View Post
That was my first thought. I've never seen any of the moderates for $62.00/night. (then again back in Dec 2006 we stayed at POFQ for $79.00/night with an AP discount--haven't seen a moderate that cheap in years though).
One of my cousins was a travel agent and she once got us that rate at Coronado Springs The code they were given was BEG!
Old 11-09-2012, 10:49 AM   #12
Masonmj84
DIS Veteran

Changing flights with WDW Travel can be messy and unlpleasant.

We had such a bad experience trying to change flights (to get free dining) that we vowed to never book flights through WDW Travel again.
Old 11-09-2012, 11:11 AM   #13
sharadoc
Visiting Disney World since 1986, happily driving every trip since 1994.

A supervisor should be able to pull that tape and hear what happened. Definitely push back, you're not trying to pull one over on them, but I worry that a seriously untrained CM or worse, one trying to make a quota or something, would do this to anyone who calls.

It's why I always price everything online. I usually know exactly to the penny how much something SHOULD cost and have the facts in front of me. It's extra work, but it can help in a situation like this.

Watch Osborne Lights 2013 Winter Wonderland! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcF2eEkqtWk

6X POFQ; 3X ASMu FS, FW cabin; 2x BWV, OKW; 1X BCV, YC, CR-TPV, SSR plus many offsite in the 80's
sharadoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 12:01 PM   #14
Sue M
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharadoc View Post
A supervisor should be able to pull that tape and hear what happened. Definitely push back, you're not trying to pull one over on them, but I worry that a seriously untrained CM or worse, one trying to make a quota or something, would do this to anyone who calls.

It's why I always price everything online. I usually know exactly to the penny how much something SHOULD cost and have the facts in front of me. It's extra work, but it can help in a situation like this.
I do this too, price it out on lime then phone and book.
Aug 2003 WDW Marriott Courtyard, [B]Aug 2005 [/BSeaWorld, Universal, Busch Gardens Hilton Garden Inn, ]Aug 2007 WDW CBR, Jan 2008WDW WL, Aug 2008St. Pete Beach, Universal-HRH, Sea Workd & Aquatica- Hyatt Place & Doubletree, Jan 2009WDW AKL, Aug 2009Key West Sheraton Suites, Cocoa Beach Hampton Inn, & WDW POR/WL, Jan 2010WDW Poly, Jan 2011WDW POR, Aug 2011WDW POR/BC CL, Jan 2012WDW WL, Aug 2012AKL CL, Jan. 2013POFQ Aug. 2013 WDW Pop, GF, YC Jan 2014POR, Aug 2014 Universal Portofino Bay, & WDW GF,

Next trip January 2015 POR Riverside
Sue M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 08:35 PM   #15
Singinglizzie
DIS Veteran

Definately call back and ask to speak to someone in Guest Services. Explain what happened. Ask them to review your phone converstation, hopefully it will work out and they will honor the $62 price. I had something similar happen once but I kept calling until I got an agent that was able to do the right thing. Best of Luck.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: