Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-28-2012, 02:45 PM   #46
newlittleminnie
DIS Veteran

I'm sorry if this is a stupid question BUT....

If we do the online check in at the resort 10 days before does this mean we can't be bumped as we have already been assigned to a specific room?

Or would it still be a possibility?

I would just be devastated if we got moved from the LM room, we debated between CSR, POR and POFQ but ultimately decided on LM because of the theming and the fact that I love little mermaid :/

August 2012: Highlands Reserve ~ August 2013: High Grove ~
October 2013: DLRP Hotel Cheyenne
~ October 2014: WDW Art of Animation?

newlittleminnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 02:58 PM   #47
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

Quote:
Originally Posted by newlittleminnie View Post

If we do the online check in at the resort 10 days before does this mean we can't be bumped as we have already been assigned to a specific room?

I would just be devastated if we got moved from the LM room, we debated between CSR, POR and POFQ but ultimately decided on LM because of the theming and the fact that I love little mermaid :/
You can still be bumped. The last time I was downgraded I had used online check in right at 10 days out. Your room is truly not your room until they give you the keys. Up until then, it can be put back into inventory and given to someone else.
maxiesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-28-2012, 04:07 PM   #48
newlittleminnie
DIS Veteran

Oh dear thanks for the info.

A bit worrying as our flight is likely to be one that will arrive in the afternoon :/ I understand it can't be helped though and ill just have to hope for the best....

Old 10-28-2012, 04:25 PM   #49
BlovesC
home is where the Yeti is!
When the ride attendants ask me to tug on the yellow strap on my seatbelt, I never do it. I just stare at them in defiance

Location: Originally Jersey Shore, now Central FL (hopefully not for much longer)

Quote:

We've always done online check-in, and we've had our room changed twice so far (once was an upgrade to CL, the other time, well, this move from POFQ to SSR).

I don't think you should worry though! Being bumped around the same resort is slightly more common, but that still doesn't mean it's likely. I hope you have a wonderful trip!
BlovesC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 05:06 PM   #50
DebbieB
DVC Member BWV 99
You have to compare apples to apples

Quote:

When you do online check-in, it does not assign a room. All it does is pre-register your information.
Old 10-28-2012, 05:18 PM   #51
newlittleminnie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbieB

When you do online check-in, it does not assign a room. All it does is pre-register your information.
Sorry I was just going off what I'd previously read, I assumed when people said all your information was prepared for you just to collect, it meant a room had already been assigned.

I've never planned any holiday before never mind a WDW world one so I'm very lacking in knowledge

My mistake

Old 10-28-2012, 05:24 PM   #52
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

Quote:
Sorry I was just going off what I'd previously read, I assumed when people said all your information was prepared for you just to collect, it meant a room had already been assigned.

I've never planned any holiday before never mind a WDW world one so I'm very lacking in knowledge

My mistake
Rooms are pre-assigned a few days out. However, until you are in your room they are still free to take that room from you and give it to someone else.

Don't think you are asking silly questions. None of us were born knowing this stuff! And there is a lot to know!
maxiesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 06:00 PM   #53
DebbieB
DVC Member BWV 99

Quote:

My mistake
It is assigned before you get there but not at the moment you do the online check-in.

Don't be afraid to ask questions here!
Old 10-28-2012, 06:47 PM   #54
newlittleminnie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxiesmom View Post
Rooms are pre-assigned a few days out. However, until you are in your room they are still free to take that room from you and give it to someone else.

Don't think you are asking silly questions. None of us were born knowing this stuff! And there is a lot to know!
Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbieB View Post
It is assigned before you get there but not at the moment you do the online check-in.

Don't be afraid to ask questions here!
Thanks

I'm planning well in advance for a 2014 trip, it won't be my first trip to the world but it will be my first one staying onsite and the first one i've had the responsibility of planning

Just making a list of all my questions at the minute then will start asking closer to the time

This thread just caught my eye and sent me into a bit of a panic lol

Old 10-29-2012, 12:22 PM   #55
pixie08
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlovesC View Post
I just don't feel the same. We live a half hour from WDW, so I don't need a "home away from home" feeling in my Disney resort. I'd never pick a generic-looking room in an apartment-like resort simply because it's bigger and has more space. If all I cared about was a living room, kitchen, and giant tub, I'd just commute to the parks from the comfort of my own home. My favorite resorts are ones that offer a true "vacation" feel to me, AKL and BC. And I love the fun, bright themes at the value resorts. I'd honestly rather have stayed at one of them than at SSR. And I do wish I had tried to make that happen. My DB is an owner at SSR, and I endured a stay there with them back in 2008, so I already knew my feelings on the resort. That's my mistake.

I hear you. I mean AKL & BW are my favorite (AKL is my home) and I stayed at SSR and I didn't Love it, but I guess for us (we are from NY but a few hours from SS) I would just rather have the room, as the values do not appeal to me at all. I guess you can ask for another hotel? OKW or Bw as those tend to not sell out as much as AKL or BLT which are very hard to book?

It doesn't hurt to try and ask for another resort that is a DVC..all they can say is no. Tell them you stayed at SSR and you would rather not stay there from a past experience. I am sure they will accommodate you. Good luck.

pixie08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 03:57 PM   #56
ExpatDisneyLover
DIS Veteran

Location: Currently working for the Mouse in Beijing, China with Disney English.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlovesC View Post
Thanks for the input all. We checked out today. Now I know that if it happens again I can simply refuse and they will offer the "upgrade" to the next person attempting to check in. I was just kind of blindsided and when I heard "overbooked" it sounded like we had no choice, but I realize now that they likely would have had a room for us if we had stayed, but would have needed one of the next guests to accept the move to SSR.

SSR didn't "ruin" our vacation, but it did change it. We live so close to Disney that when we book a room (and we book rooms because we LOVE Disney resorts), we kind of WANT that "in your face" Disney feeling that others seem to hate. Staying in SSR is pretty much like driving from a local apartment complex. Everything is so spread out and far away, the theme non-existent, and the buildings are at such low capacity that we never, not once, saw anyone on the elevator or stairs or outside rooms in our entire building during our stay. It was such a weirdly remote, non-Disney experience.

Again, thanks for the input all.
From someone else who lives very near Disney - I agree with your assessment of SSR in that it can feel like a "local" apartment rather than "in your face Disney" - when I stayed there I had similar thoughts about it. I enjoyed my stay but wasn't in love with it. AKL is my favorite resort right now because it is so unique. I too like to book Disney resorts every now and again and appreciate each one for different reasons. In the world of "Disney Resorts" it may be an "upgrade" it doesn't necessarily mean it is to the person receiving it depending on what they are looking for in a resort at any given time. Anyway - glad you had a good stay regardless!
Jill * 1984 DL * 1986 WDW * 1994 Euro Disney * 1996 WDW * 2009 WDW POR * March 2010 DLRP Santa Fe * June 2010 DLRP Magic Circus * November 2010 DLRP Magic Circus * February 2011 DLRP Dream Castle * May 2011 WDW Sheraton Vistana / Hilton Bonnet Creek * September 2011 WDW Night of Joy Hilton DTD * March 2012 WDW Pop * April 2012 WDW AKL * May 2012 WDW SSR * August 2014 HKDL Disneyland Hotel * December 2014 HKDL Hollywood Hotel * February 2015 DLRP Newport Bay Club *
New Trip Reports August and December Hong Kong Disneyland http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3356993http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3323118

ExpatDisneyLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 09:41 PM   #57
ariane37
DIS Veteran

Oh good, something else for me to worry about from now until our check-in in......14 days!! Lol hope everyone on this thread gets the room/resort they booked!
ariane37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 10:27 PM   #58
DisneyLover75
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariane37 View Post
Oh good, something else for me to worry about from now until our check-in in......14 days!! Lol hope everyone on this thread gets the room/resort they booked!
whoa there.. not necessarily! I'd really rather be upgraded to almost anywhere than get my room. I am not complaining, because after all, it's WDW, and it's what I was able to afford. But an upgrade would be SUPER AWESOME, and I won't complain about anywhere they want to move me.
1983- Offsite,1987- Offsite, 1992-Dixie Landings(POR),1993-Dixie Landings(POR), 2005 -Pop Century,2006- All Star Movies,2007- Wilderness Lodge,2008 -All Star Music, 2009- All Star Sports, 2010- Coronado Springs, 2011- All Star Music, 2012-Pop Century, 2013- French Quarter 2014- Wilderness Lodge
DisneyLover75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 10:28 PM   #59
kathleen simpson
Earning My Ears

Do people get upgraded from a mod to a deluxe resort at no charge ?
kathleen simpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 10:30 PM   #60
DebbieB
DVC Member BWV 99

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyLover75 View Post
whoa there.. not necessarily! I'd really rather be upgraded to almost anywhere than get my room. I am not complaining, because after all, it's WDW, and it's what I was able to afford. But an upgrade would be SUPER AWESOME, and I won't complain about anywhere they want to move me.
There have been reports of downgrades. Your preferred room is not available, we put you in standard. It's rare to happen, but it can.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: