Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-06-2012, 08:10 PM   #1
whitfive
Mouseketeer

Pros & Cons Conzumel, Which would you do?

Our family of 5 (Me, DH, DS 17, DD 16 & DS 11) are cruising from Galveston on the Magic in February. We are looking at excursions in Conzumel and I was considering either Fury Catamaran, Paradise Beach (both offered as port excursions with DCL) and Playa Mia.
Can anyone give pros, cons or thoughts in general comparing these excursions?I don't want to make the wrong choice!
(DD is not a fan of snorkeling in general but will do an excursion that has other options.)
Also, thoughts on doing a DCL excursion vs. self guided in Conzumel.

Thank you in advance!

ME DH DS 18 DD17 DS 13

WDW:May 2000,Feb 2002,Nov 2003,Dec 2005, Jan 2007,Nov 2007,Feb 2009,Dec 2010,Nov 2011, Sept 2012,May 2013, Dec 2013, March 2014, Sept 2014
DCL: April 2010-Wonder 4 nt. Bahama June 2012-Fantasy 7 nt. Eastern Feb 9 2013-Magic 6 nt.Western Oct 27 2013-Dream 4 nt Bahama Jan. 2, 2014-Dream 3 nt. Bahama March 7, 2014-Magic 3 nt Bahama June 7, 2014-Fantasy 7 nt. Western Oct 1 2014-Wonder 5 nt Double Dip Jun 20, 2015-Fantasy Eastern Caribbean
Carnival: Aug 2011-Facination 4 night Bahama
whitfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 08:30 PM   #2
69pace
Earning My Ears

well I can give you pro's on the Fury Catamaran..we have done snorkeling in both western and eastern Carrib locations and the water was awesome over in Cozumel....to no credit of the Fury people but nonetheless, that is certainly a big plus. The folks on the Fury catamaran really managed the dive well, the equipment was in good shape ( not a given with all excursion contractors ) I'm not sure if your excursion is the same as ours was ( Nov 2010 ) but when the dive was over the partly began. We headed over to one of the local beaches which was real nice and the trip was all about having 2 drinks in your hand at all times. These Mexicans are a very happy people and I can see why. They do know how to play.
69pace is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-06-2012, 08:42 PM   #3
dibond38
Mouseketeer

We are booked on the fury in January. Thanks for the great info. I can't wait.
Old 11-06-2012, 09:11 PM   #4
mufasa0505
DIS Veteran

We did Playa Mia in March. We had our 2-year old. It was OK. The facility was really nice. There was a playground and a tent with a buffet meal. The food was "eh" to me. There is an area of the beach roped off for DCL. The day we were there it had rained so the water was a little rough. They had a bunch of water trampolines and it looked like the older kids were having a blast on those. Really, except for the quality of food it was a good place. I know I had one alcoholic beverage, but I don't remember any details.

Disney Bride
September 19, 2005

mufasa0505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 09:12 PM   #5
whitfive
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69pace View Post
well I can give you pro's on the Fury Catamaran..we have done snorkeling in both western and eastern Carrib locations and the water was awesome over in Cozumel....to no credit of the Fury people but nonetheless, that is certainly a big plus. The folks on the Fury catamaran really managed the dive well, the equipment was in good shape ( not a given with all excursion contractors ) I'm not sure if your excursion is the same as ours was ( Nov 2010 ) but when the dive was over the partly began. We headed over to one of the local beaches which was real nice and the trip was all about having 2 drinks in your hand at all times. These Mexicans are a very happy people and I can see why. They do know how to play.
Do you think it is ok for my kids? Especially since one doesn't snorkel? Is there more to do? I have heard good reviews of Fury but I wasn't sure on the involvement/intrests for my kids.

ME DH DS 18 DD17 DS 13

WDW:May 2000,Feb 2002,Nov 2003,Dec 2005, Jan 2007,Nov 2007,Feb 2009,Dec 2010,Nov 2011, Sept 2012,May 2013, Dec 2013, March 2014, Sept 2014
DCL: April 2010-Wonder 4 nt. Bahama June 2012-Fantasy 7 nt. Eastern Feb 9 2013-Magic 6 nt.Western Oct 27 2013-Dream 4 nt Bahama Jan. 2, 2014-Dream 3 nt. Bahama March 7, 2014-Magic 3 nt Bahama June 7, 2014-Fantasy 7 nt. Western Oct 1 2014-Wonder 5 nt Double Dip Jun 20, 2015-Fantasy Eastern Caribbean
Carnival: Aug 2011-Facination 4 night Bahama
whitfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 09:53 PM   #6
weHEARTmickey
Dreamin' of Disney.......

We just did the Fury last week & it seemed very crowded to me. The snorkeling was especially frustrating because people kept bumping into us, or we continually bumped into others. When we'd try to swim a bit to the left or right of the group, the snorkel guide would kinda "gripe" at us & make us get back in the flow of traffic.

We did seem to have about an hour with the floating water toys. The water was close to 5' deep & my DS9 couldn't stand anywhere near the toys. He is very athletic & was okay with swimming the entire time, but I would've been worn out from all that water treading! The toys were fun, but it was just too crowded for our tastes. It may not be as crowded when you all are going.

We did the all terrain buggy ride to Punta Sur National Park a month ago & absolutely loved it! That one involves quite a bit of snorkeling, so your DD may not want to do it, but it was a BLAST!! I cannot say enough great things about that excursion!
Oct 6, 2012-Anniversary Cruise- 7 Nights on Magic with DH ..~.. Oct 27, 2012- 7 Nights on Disney Magic w/Kids & Granny
Dec 2012-8 days of Deluxe Dining at the Poly ..~.. Dec 2012- 6 Night Christmas surprise on Disney Magic
Jan 2013-1st trip to DISNEYLAND!! Disneyland Hotel ..~.. May 2013-8 days at Yacht Club/Grand Floridian/AKL/AoA!
Sept 2013-13 days Wilderness Club Level & AKL Club Level NOJ ..~.. Oct 2013 DCL HalloWONDER Cruise
June 2014: Last Minute Combo trip: Disney Dream + Coronado Springs Resort
UPCOMING Trips: WDW 2 weeks, Disneyland 1 week, AULANI 10 days
weHEARTmickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 10:14 PM   #7
kcashner
DIS Veteran

Paradise Beach is a decent beach with fun stuff to do. I have no idea what DCL is charging for this excursion, but I'm sure you can beat the price on your own. Admission is free. Taxi is $15 + tip each way PER CAB, not per person. $2 gets you a beach chair, umbrellas are free. $12 gets a wristband for "all non-motorized water toys" which includes inflatables, snorkel equipment, etc. We paid $10 for this, but I just read that it increased to $12. Food is available and decent. DO NOT let your cab driver talk you into buying any sort of package--you can do better choosing those things that you want on your own, and there is little if any savings in the "package." You just end up paying for stuff you don't want/won't use.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 11:39 PM   #8
motraveler
Earning My Ears

Cozumel Excursion

I highly recommend www.cozumelsailing.com We've been on 3 or so excursions with them and LOVE it every time. Its a smaller catamaran (tri-maran?) that holds 14-20 total I think. Sail out, have drinks if you want, stop and snorkel, take dingy to beach to shell search if you want, they cook you up a delicious meal, eat, do spinnaker rides (check the website for pics...kids will LOVE it (adults too)...you ride in a swing seat off a sail that is tethered to the boat while the boat is anchored). The owners are from the states and all around great people. I can't recommend this enough. We were on the Fantasy in October and SOOO wanted to do this excursion but we have really little kids and weren't sure how they would like it.
motraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 11:58 PM   #9
Princess Sleepy
DIS Veteran

My BFF and I just signed up to do the Amazing Cozumel Race. It's just like the amazing race, only it goes all over Cozumel. The price includes transportation from the port to the starting line, refreshments, the game, awards ceremony, and transportation back. The cost is something like $79 per adult and $55 for kids.

It's offered through Carnival, but you can email the organizers directly and get in on the fun. They were friendly and prompt when I contacted them. I checked on Trip Advisor and with more than 150 reviews, every single one is 5 stars. I can't wait to try it!

Feb 2009: Poly Jan 2010: Pop
June 2010: CBR October 2011: The Dream
November 2011: POR May 2012: AKV- Kidani
February 2013: POR May 2013: CBR December 2013: The Fantasy
Princess Sleepy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 09:23 PM   #10
nannylori
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by motraveler View Post
I highly recommend www.cozumelsailing.com We've been on 3 or so excursions with them and LOVE it every time. Its a smaller catamaran (tri-maran?) that holds 14-20 total I think. Sail out, have drinks if you want, stop and snorkel, take dingy to beach to shell search if you want, they cook you up a delicious meal, eat, do spinnaker rides (check the website for pics...kids will LOVE it (adults too)...you ride in a swing seat off a sail that is tethered to the boat while the boat is anchored). The owners are from the states and all around great people. I can't recommend this enough. We were on the Fantasy in October and SOOO wanted to do this excursion but we have really little kids and weren't sure how they would like it.
We've been to Cozumel 4 times,each time doing a different activity. What I will say is,if you want to get out on the water,I'd go with the above info rather than Fury. Fury isn't a bad excursion,but it appears that their way of thinking is to get as many people on a boat as possible,which may not make a difference to you while you're sailing,but once you get in the water,you'll be spending most of your time dodging flippers and trying to find an area where the fish aren't being scared away.
Our best shore excursion so far was taking a jeep trip around the island last year. There were only 3 jeeps,with one being the guide. He was less of a guide and more of a person who wanted to share his island with us,which makes a big difference in how we enjoyed our time. Drove to the lighthouse,an alligator pond area, a small ruin and ended up at a beach where we went for a snorkel. Our guide used to own a scuba shop,so we felt very safe. There were two children along, 8 & 10,who never snorkeled before and he never left their side. They had a great time. We ended at the El Cid Hotel for a late lunch, which was good. The use of the two beautiful pools,right on the waters edge was available for free to us.We love Cozumel. It's just hard to describe the color of the water to people who have never seen it. It is the most beautiful blue you'll ever see
nannylori is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: