Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-25-2012, 02:04 PM   #1
pizza45
Earning My Ears

Peanut Allergy Questions

My 7 year old has a peanut allergy; Do we leave a epi-pen in the kids club room at all times or do we bring it with us each time? Is there any paperwork I need to do prior reg. the allergy? Any info would be appreciated, Thanks!
pizza45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 02:13 PM   #2
CowboyPrincess
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pizza45
My 7 year old has a peanut allergy; Do we leave a epi-pen in the kids club room at all times or do we bring it with us each time? Is there any paperwork I need to do prior reg. the allergy? Any info would be appreciated, Thanks!
They like you to bring it back each time
You check in.. And therefore remember
To leave with it when you check
Out.... They put a band on it with the same
Info that is on the band the kids where.

There is no paperwork to fill out.
CowboyPrincess is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-25-2012, 03:29 PM   #3
kuhltiffany
Mouseketeer

Yes there is! You will sign a form giving the staff permission to administer the Epi if required. You will also be asked what activities you are comfortable with (some cooking and science ones include food, I think one had a cookie snack involved) and this will be noted on your child's file.

The first time you bring in the Epi they will put a tag on it, just leave it on since it matches the one on your child so will link them if needed. You have to drop it off with them whenever they attend, and remember to pick it back up (they usually forget, even though a reminder will pop up on their computer when your child's band is scanned).

Just a note, don't be afraid to ask for things if your child wants them in the dining room. We were given the menus the day before at dinner, DS would pick out what he wanted and they then prepare it in the separate allergy kitchen. One night he asked for chocolate cake and they made it for him the following evening. Makes travelling with a peanut allergy much easier!

If you have any questions, let me know

kuhltiffany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 03:35 PM   #4
kcashner
DIS Veteran

The epi-pen bag will travel with the child. They will not keep it for the entire cruise. Yes, as above, there is paperwork to be completed, you can do this on the first day.

Have the allergy noted on your reservation now. As this is a fairly common allergy, they will be well prepared for you. You'll meet with a chef or head server the first day to go over your requirements; all his food will be prepared in the allergy kitchen. On embarkation day, a head server will go thru the buffet line with you to advise you of safety. Many times, they'll get his food from an un-opened container in the back to prevent any cross-contamination.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 01:10 AM   #5
aaklang
Mouseketeer

Yes, we had the same experience as the last two posters - we did fill out a form and had to bring the epipen back and forth each time. Every time we checked out, they actually did ask us if we had brought it that time and gave it back to us (I never had to be the one to remember it). We said he couldn't do any food-related activities or eat food provided by the Kids Club, but did allow him to do the marshmallow activities they had because there seemed to be a lot of those and they kept asking about it. :D

We also chose his dinner a day in advance every night to make sure it was prepared correctly (they'd bring the menu at the end of dinner for the following night's dinner). This is also available for lunch if you want to eat in the main dining room. We chose to always eat breakfast and lunch in the buffet and would talk to the chef in Cabanas to make sure the food was safe for him. We never had any problems. We even ate a couple of times at Flos V8 Cafe (though I think they may have pulled some food from Cabanas).

He's allergic to all nuts, plus milk and eggs, and we didn't have any trouble feeding him on the cruise. They even made him super yummy chocolatey desserts every night.
aaklang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 12:17 PM   #6
Momma2Jax
DIS Veteran

Just to add if anyone is wondering about the nursery, I checked my ds's epi pen in at the nursery, and also signed a form, and they put a sticker on him indicating that he had an allergy, and an epi pen.

Me DH DS 5

Momma2Jax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 06:27 PM   #7
jojop
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaklang View Post
He's allergic to all nuts, plus milk and eggs, and we didn't have any trouble feeding him on the cruise. They even made him super yummy chocolatey desserts every night.
So happy to read about this. Our son has the same allergies.

-----------------------------------------------------------
NOV-2011 Mexican Riviera - Carnival Splendor
MAY-2009 Eastern Mediterranean - Celebrity Solstice
MAY-2008 Alaska Inside Passage - Star Princess
MAY-1999 Western Caribbean - Carnival Paradise
jojop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 07:15 PM   #8
kcashner
DIS Veteran

DCL is GREAT with allergies. The classic ships have a special food preparation area for allergy meals, the new ships have a totally separate kitchen. It's just another way to be sure that everyone is aware of cross contamination, etc.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: