Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-08-2012, 03:13 PM   #61
2Tiggies
I am subscribing to this thread just so I can see your shirt
I like those water proof containers that hang around my neck on a lanyard

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2rtk View Post
It's funny, but I'm considering bringing a 3 pound lens with me on our upcoming trip. My camera strap is so comfortable I wouldn't have any problem carrying it around the parks. But I would NEVER carry a tablet with me. And I won't be blocking anyone's view, as it is always at my side or up to my eye.
I hauled around a 20lb camera bag with me, with a tripod attached many of the days - okay it weighed considerably less with the camera being in my hand on the neck strap 90% of the time The point is, a camera is designed to be portable and to carry around with you for long periods of time. It also goes without saying that even a standard compact camera is going to yield better results than using an iPad and far less hassle, not to mention a much lower rating on the scale of Nuisance, lol.

As per my earlier post, this trip I had no issues with being annoyed by people using iPads. But like you and many others, I would never even consider it!
2Tiggies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 03:27 PM   #62
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Tiggies View Post
I hauled around a 20lb camera bag with me, with a tripod attached many of the days - okay it weighed considerably less with the camera being in my hand on the neck strap 90% of the time The point is, a camera is designed to be portable and to carry around with you for long periods of time. It also goes without saying that even a standard compact camera is going to yield better results than using an iPad and far less hassle, not to mention a much lower rating on the scale of Nuisance, lol.

As per my earlier post, this trip I had no issues with being annoyed by people using iPads. But like you and many others, I would never even consider it!
Just in the few photos of yours I saw, I can tell it was worth it.
mom2rtk is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-08-2012, 03:29 PM   #63
2Tiggies

Quote:
Just in the few photos of yours I saw, I can tell it was worth it.
That means a LOT to me, coming from you

I am forcing myself to be brave and starting to post some now
Old 11-08-2012, 03:30 PM   #64
stindall
Congress Tart

Quote:
But I'd rather have a rude person in front of me with an iphone than an ipad.

Size does matter.
Exactly. If someone is holding an iphone up or a regular camera up, it's likely that they can get a shot quicker than fumbling with a big ipad. Plus it's a lot smarter using something that is smaller, and takes better pictures...

Oh god there's the yeti! - The Trip Report!.

- Sept 2008 Honeymoon @ Pop - Dec. 2009 surprise for dad @ Pop -
Sept. 2013 First solo trip @ Pop
- Sept. 2014 brother/sister trip @ pop!- Aug. 2015 DL @ Stanford Inn & Suites -

stindall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 03:35 PM   #65
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by stindall View Post
Exactly. If someone is holding an iphone up or a regular camera up, it's likely that they can get a shot quicker than fumbling with a big ipad. Plus it's a lot smarter using something that is smaller, and takes better pictures...
Well, honestly, I'm not really concerned with whether they get good photos. If they are holding something up over their head to take a photo, I just want it to be as small as possible. And really photos aren't as big a deal as video. If your kid is walking across the stage at graduation and you want to take a quick photo, I'm fine with it. But hold that thing up in front of me for the entire ceremony (or show at Disney) and we have a problem.

If I walk up and stand behind someone at a parade who is 8 feet tall, then too bad for me for standing there. But if I walk up and stand behind someone my size who THEN holds their rather large device up in front of me, then shame on them.
Old 11-08-2012, 03:37 PM   #66
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran

Quote:
That means a LOT to me, coming from you

I am forcing myself to be brave and starting to post some now
No forcing needed. Post away! Can't wait to see!
Old 11-08-2012, 03:46 PM   #67
stindall
Congress Tart

Quote:
Well, honestly, I'm not really concerned with whether they get good photos. If they are holding something up over their head to take a photo, I just want it to be as small as possible. And really photos aren't as big a deal as video. If your kid is walking across the stage at graduation and you want to take a quick photo, I'm fine with it. But hold that thing up in front of me for the entire ceremony (or show at Disney) and we have a problem.

If I walk up and stand behind someone at a parade who is 8 feet tall, then too bad for me for standing there. But if I walk up and stand behind someone my size who THEN holds their rather large device up in front of me, then shame on them.

I wasn't trying to relate better photos with the huge-ness problem; But I have to admit I do get a little concerned when people don't use a real camera for any photos, even if they use Photopass.

Oh god there's the yeti! - The Trip Report!.

- Sept 2008 Honeymoon @ Pop - Dec. 2009 surprise for dad @ Pop -
Sept. 2013 First solo trip @ Pop
- Sept. 2014 brother/sister trip @ pop!- Aug. 2015 DL @ Stanford Inn & Suites -

stindall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 03:49 PM   #68
wdw&sonny
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlixaLock View Post
On our last trip, someone with a huge, professional SLR stood in front of us. He spent the whole parade holding the camera over his head taking crowd shots, using an obnoxiously bright flash and being a nuisance. I missed a good part of the parade.

My point is, annoying is annoying, it has nothing to do with using a tablet for a camera in the park. I always bring mine in to the park and I do take pictures where appropriate (usually snapshots or character shots) and I have NEVER head held it over my head during a show or performance.
What's next? A Brazilian tour group riding in scooters with kids on their shoulders holding up iPADs and taking photos.
wdw&sonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 03:52 PM   #69
2Tiggies

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdw&sonny View Post
What's next? A Brazilian tour group riding in scooters with kids on their shoulders holding up iPADs and taking photos.
Please .... don't tempt fate or put ideas out on a public message board!
Old 11-08-2012, 03:54 PM   #70
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by stindall View Post
I wasn't trying to relate better photos with the huge-ness problem; But I have to admit I do get a little concerned when people don't use a real camera for any photos, even if they use Photopass.
Some people just don't care about photos. Hard for me to grasp but true! Bottom line though is that if the photo is important to you, then have a reliable means of taking it yourself. I know nothing about how phones and ipads do quality wise taking photos because I don't use mine for that. But I do still remember the thread about the mom who was heartbroken that when they got through the long line to see Rapunzel, the photopoass person's camera had a malfunction and her phone was dead. I guess that could happen with any camera though. Unless you carry 3 batteries. I've.... heard.....that some people do that.
Old 11-08-2012, 05:06 PM   #71
seashoreCM
All around nice guy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdw&sonny View Post
OT: Reminds me of my last trip to the (Ringling) circus where for one scene there was a line of performers going all the way around the ring controlling Segway scooters with their feet only and either waving their arms or holding things overhead using their arms.

I can foresee altercations at Disney resulting in a dropped iPad.
Old 11-08-2012, 05:19 PM   #72
boBQuincy
I am not carrying three pods
There's something about the smell of the chemicals that just shouts "Photography!"

Quote:
Some people just don't care about photos. Hard for me to grasp but true! Bottom line though is that if the photo is important to you, then have a reliable means of taking it yourself. I know nothing about how phones and ipads do quality wise taking photos because I don't use mine for that. But I do still remember the thread about the mom who was heartbroken that when they got through the long line to see Rapunzel, the photopoass person's camera had a malfunction and her phone was dead. I guess that could happen with any camera though. Unless you carry 3 batteries. I've.... heard.....that some people do that.
THREE batteries? Who could ever take that many photos in one day?

"Take the big pill, and go back to the SLR you know. Take the small micro 4/3 pill and you will never look at SLRs the same way again." a G3 and now a GX7. Photos at: suzieandbob.com

Our model monorail site: http://monorail.suzieandbob.com/

boBQuincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 05:40 PM   #73
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by boBQuincy View Post
THREE batteries? Who could ever take that many photos in one day?
Well, didn't say I use them all.

My generics don't hold a charge as long. So I usually start with my OEM battery but have 2 backups.

I will say the T2i seems to get more shots from the battery than my Xsi ever did. I think that one got me in the habit of making sure I had at least 2 on me every day.
Old 11-08-2012, 05:53 PM   #74
2Tiggies

Quote:
Well, didn't say I use them all.

My generics don't hold a charge as long. So I usually start with my OEM battery but have 2 backups.

I will say the T2i seems to get more shots from the battery than my Xsi ever did. I think that one got me in the habit of making sure I had at least 2 on me every day.
I always carry two. Although I've rarely needed to change the battery (since I always have one fully charged in the morning before we leave) the most rewarding benefit of having that spare was waiting in a character line for 25 minutes and overhearing the Dad behind us apologizing to the kids that he'd forgotten to put the battery from the charger into the camera. I turned and saw the tears filling his wife's eyes

A glance at his camera confirmed it was the same as mine - so I loaned him a battery for his shots of his kids and he returned it to me after. That to me was worth carrying the spare more than anything!
Old 11-08-2012, 05:57 PM   #75
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I always carry two. Although I've rarely needed to change the battery (since I always have one fully charged in the morning before we leave) the most rewarding benefit of having that spare was waiting in a character line for 25 minutes and overhearing the Dad behind us apologizing to the kids that he'd forgotten to put the battery from the charger into the camera. I turned and saw the tears filling his wife's eyes

A glance at his camera confirmed it was the same as mine - so I loaned him a battery for his shots of his kids and he returned it to me after. That to me was worth carrying the spare more than anything!
That's awesome!

I got to do the same thing at my nephew's wedding. I was shooting as a favor to my sister when one of the 2 official wedding photographers came to me in a panic because her battery was dead. Thankfully her camera model was the same as mine and I got to save the day.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: