Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-07-2012, 09:04 PM   #31
mvazul
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo View Post
Good, yes.
Convenient, no.
Economical, no.

And, they can be very distracting to other guests due to their
large bright image screen in darker attractions.

And, their large frame can often block the view of other guests.
This happened the other night. I was taking pictures at the holiday location in Magic Kingdom - where the pumpkins were near the flag pole in Town Square - now where there are Christmas trees. I had a couple standing next to me watching the fireworks. About half way through, another couple came and stood directly in front of us, with iPad in the air to video the fireworks. The couple next to me were sooooo angry. They asked the other couple to please move and the other couple just ignored them. It was beyond rude.
mvazul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 09:35 PM   #32
StarMoon
Child at Heart

I don't know about good pictures but i did see them also when i went there last month and also wondered 'why?'
I have also noticed a decline in the care that people take with possesions that cost quite a lot. Careless handling of them results in dropping them into water, snow, on rocks causing dents, cracked screens and things don't work as well as they should. Then you find a long line at an electronics store/department full of people wanting free replacements :eyeroll: it doesn't really surprise me that people would bring them into the parks to use as cameras.

Past Trips:

Disney World 1991, 1997, 2004, 2010, 2011, 2012

Upcoming? Who knows but I'm hoping to do a Disney Cruise with friends and family for my 30th birthday in 2015
StarMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-07-2012, 09:37 PM   #33
SueM in MN
It's like combining the teacups with a roller coaster

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MouseEarsForAll View Post
The zoom you are describing is DIGITAL zoom. "Real" cameras have OPTICAL zoom, which moves the lens in for a closer high quality shot. Digital zoom cannot move the lens, therefore, you get a closer shot, but the quality falls off.
I DO know the difference.
I realize that is digital zoom (which does not give as good of quality), but a previous post said that an iPad could not zoom (not specifying optical or digital).

I had several SLRs cameras with multiple lenses (including some big zoom lenses). These were in the days of film cameras, so no digital zoom.
We stopped using them when it got too expensive to use film and the digital cameras started to give pretty good picture quality (plus, not having to limit the number of pictures, like you do with film).
I'm on my 4th (I think) digital camera - a Panasonic Lumix DMC ZS6 that I bought a couple of years ago. It has a 12x optical zoom and a 4x digital zoom and takes very nice pictures in most conditions.

An iPad or iPhone can take good (even very good) pictures in the right conditions - a lot of light, but not direct sun. They are good for sharing on Facebook, message or email and for viewing on the computer (or iPad). They are no way as good quality pictures as a 'real' camera, but good enough for those uses.

Spaceship Earth: We are all passengers together.
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans......John Lennon
Be a rainbow in someone else's cloud. Dr. Maya Angelou
trip report link in Memory of eternaldisneyfan, who lived these words: Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns. I am thankful that thorns have roses. Alphonse Karr
SueM in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 10:11 PM   #34
MouseEarsForAll
Oh snap! I get to hold the trophy?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SueM in MN
I DO know the difference.
I realize that is digital zoom (which does not give as good of quality), but a previous post said that an iPad could not zoom (not specifying optical or digital).

I had several SLRs cameras with multiple lenses (including some big zoom lenses). These were in the days of film cameras, so no digital zoom.
We stopped using them when it got too expensive to use film and the digital cameras started to give pretty good picture quality (plus, not having to limit the number of pictures, like you do with film).
I'm on my 4th (I think) digital camera - a Panasonic Lumix DMC ZS6 that I bought a couple of years ago. It has a 12x optical zoom and a 4x digital zoom and takes very nice pictures in most conditions.

An iPad or iPhone can take good (even very good) pictures in the right conditions - a lot of light, but not direct sun. They are good for sharing on Facebook, message or email and for viewing on the computer (or iPad). They are no way as good quality pictures as a 'real' camera, but good enough for those uses.
Oh, okay, I was just saying that because I believed they were referring to optical zoom.

Walt Disney World - 2004

Walt Disney World - 2005

Disclaimer: Now, you tell me McD's is coming back, I'm a passionate "Uh, yeah!"

MouseEarsForAll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 04:14 AM   #35
Robbi
DIS Veteran

I bring my iPad into the parks because I read while the kids are on thrill rides. I forgot I could even use it as a camera- that's why I bring my iPhone.
Robbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 05:40 AM   #36
Bonnie151
DIS Veteran

I don't think iPads are big at all. My iPad pops into my handbag nicely. My camera, on the other hand, needs to go into a camera case and so if I brought that to the park, I'd end up carrying a handbag plus a camera bag.

It was great having my iPad at the parks in September. We could facetime the kids back home without having to be back at our hotel by 3/4PM, we could pull up our adrs without having to make a separate note of the confirmation numbers, we could check menus online and yes, we could take photos.

I have a fancy camera for work but for holiday snaps that I'm just going to post on fb or keep on the iPad, the iPad quality is fine.

I do agree that people shouldn't block other people's views of parades and such (we don't bother with parades these days) - that reminds me of back when people used to haul out their massive camcorders to block everyone's view- incredibly annoying!

Yes I can spell, but my iPad quite often thinks I'd rather type gibberish.
Bonnie151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 05:51 AM   #37
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie151 View Post
I do agree that people shouldn't block other people's views of parades and such (we don't bother with parades these days) - that reminds me of back when people used to haul out their massive camcorders to block everyone's view- incredibly annoying!
At least back in the day when those camcorders were so massive, people had to put them on their shoulders. The problem with the ipad in particular is that they are so large AND people hold them way up over their heads. The first time I saw someone do this at the school talent show, I just sat there in shock. Thankfully they weren't in front of me, but nobody said a word to them. AND they left it hoisted up there for most of the show. I'm thinking they only put it down for short times to get blood flowing in their arms again.
mom2rtk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 06:04 AM   #38
torsie24
Or I could call it the postalabration
Now I know to wear flip flops!
Got engaged on a trip to Disneyland Paris

I saw this a lot this summer at both DLRP and the Olympics.

Really odd choice of camera to me. But I guess if it's the best camera you have then I can understand it.

WDW: 1994-I Drive / 2009-AKL / 2011-Disney Wedding -AKL-GF RPC-BW-BLT
DLRP 1997-HNY / 2000-SL / 2008-SL / 2009-DLH / 2012-HNY
DLR: 2005-Day Trip
torsie24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 06:08 AM   #39
GreenCntryGirl
The DIS keeps me up past my bedtime.

One of the blogs had pictures of the zebras that just arrived at Animal Kingdom. They mentioned not being able to get some good shots because another person on the ride was using an iPad to take photos.

Mimi, Papa, Daddy, Uncle Alec, and Boo
Star Wars Weekend 2013
All Star Music
GreenCntryGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 07:31 AM   #40
Lilliputian
DIS Veteran

We're at WDW right now, and I've been astounded by the people walking around with their iPads. I see a lot of people apparently making videos with them, because they're walking around and holding them up like they're filming. The crazy part is that they're in completely uninteresting parts of the parks. The first guy I saw doing it was on the second floor of the Land pavillion, near the entrance. I started looking and realized people were doing it all over.

Most of the people I've seen doing it seem to speaking other languages. It makes a little more sense for people from other countries, since people in other parts of the world tend to (generally speaking) have less square footage in their houses than those in the USA. It makes more sense to me to want your equipment to do double duty if you don't have a lot of extra space in your house.
Lilliputian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 07:35 AM   #41
Dan Murphy
We are family.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie151 View Post
I don't think iPads are big at all. My iPad pops into my handbag nicely. My camera, on the other hand, needs to go into a camera case and so if I brought that to the park, I'd end up carrying a handbag plus a camera bag.

It was great having my iPad at the parks in September. We could facetime the kids back home without having to be back at our hotel by 3/4PM, we could pull up our adrs without having to make a separate note of the confirmation numbers, we could check menus online and yes, we could take photos......
I think the direction of this thread is when folks hold the tablet up in the air, camera style. With that use, the large size of the tablet, held end to end to take a photo (like holding up a small newspaper), may easily block the view of a person behind the tablet holder. When in your handbag, like a camera bag, (or any other bag close to your person), it will not block the view of anyone. And when used away from others, like maybe sitting on a bench or in your resort room, doing facetime, checking DR's, menus, ets, it is not going to block others' view. However, when held up to take photos, the table t can easily block the view of others behind you.

Taking photos is the problem.

Why she runs.....

Random acts of kindness, no matter how small, are never really lost. They live forever in the hearts of those who are fortunate enough to be on the receiving end of them----Lady M
dmurphydis@sbcglobal.net

Dan Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 07:43 AM   #42
Mike7468
Mouseketeer

Little off topic but, with the parks having wifi now its going to get alot worse, they instantly want to update thier status with pictures, posts, etc... People feel they have to stay connected to the outside world and post everytime they burp on facebook, twitter etc... When I am there the last thing I want to bother with is facebook, twitter etc.. I can do all that when I get back to the resort or home and look at the pictures I have taken. with a normal camera. NO OFFENSE to those who use Ipads properly!
Mike7468 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 08:07 AM   #43
Robo
Attention: There's a '71 Castle in the Hub with its lights on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disneyqueendenmark View Post
I was actually really suprised of how great my iPhone 4s pics turned out last Christmas at DLR
iPhone 5 goes to Epcot from WDWMagic.com HERE.
Robo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 08:13 AM   #44
chicagoshannon
DIS Veteran

I would never use my iPad for Disney pictures! Besides it being so big to carry around, the picture quality is atrocious!
Old 11-08-2012, 08:19 AM   #45
SnapesGirl
Mouseketeer

I didn't really notice people with ipads at Disney, but this summer at my cousin's swim meet, there was a father who was recording his daughter swimming on his ipad right next to the water. He was so focused on the screen that he didn't see the chair he was about to walk into. Needless to say, he fell and the ipad made a nice plunk into the pool

May 2014 - Art of Animation ; April 2012 - Offsite; September 2011 - Offsite; April 2011 - Offsite; May 2001 - Offsite; September 1999 - Fort Wilderness Cabin

SnapesGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: