Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-07-2012, 08:23 AM   #1
the kids
Earning My Ears

help with motion sickness for kids

Now that bonine is discontinued for kids, what have you given your children for motion sickness that is non-drowsy? My kids are 5 and 8. DD 8 got sea sick on our last cruise and bonine worked great, so now I am looking for something just as effective. Thank you
the kids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 09:17 AM   #2
quickcat
Mouseketeer

In Jan when we went I asked our doctor and she said our son (he was 11) could take one adult tablet and that would be fine. If you call, I am assuming they will tell you how much of an adult tablet to give your DD. I am assuming it would be 1/2. Or some people have had luck with seabands? We havent tried those yet but for our next cruise I am going to try those first.
Have fun on your cruise!
quickcat is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-07-2012, 09:21 AM   #3
fredgirls
DIS Veteran

To avoid the meds for our next cruise we've tried the sea bands for our daughter in the car, as she gets very carsick too.
They have worked wonderfully!!! I hope they have the same effect for our next cruise!

We initially got them from the dollarstore, to make sure they worked, but now I am prepared to pay for either sea bands or those new ones, PSI Bands, that come in nice colours and look like a watch. Preferable to my teen I think than the 80's sweatband look!

5-night Wonder from Miami trip report - http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3078323

fredgirls is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 09:24 AM   #4
WicketsMom
Mouseketeer

My five-year old son and I sailed on the Dream cruise that went straight into hurricane Sandy. My pharmacist recommended Bonine for both of us. I gave him 1/2 tablet per day and he never got sick even though the ship was rocking severely the entire three days and people were throwing up all over. He said it tasted bad (was a chewable one) and I agreed so we both just swallowed it instead. It also didn't make him sleepy. We called it his "sea legs pills".

WicketsMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 09:33 AM   #5
nmmace
Earning My Ears

They make kids Dramamine that's non drowsy. Its chewable orange flavor. I found it at Walgreens. I bought it for my upcoming cruise this weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
nmmace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 09:36 AM   #6
cruisecrasher
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmmace
They make kids Dramamine that's non drowsy. Its chewable orange flavor. I found it at Walgreens. I bought it for my upcoming cruise this weekend.

I tried that with my kids on a weekend afternoon to see how they'd react when we aren't already on vacation. It puts them out worse than Benadryl, but I'll still bring it as a backup.
Yes it is the kids chewable nondrowsy Dramamine. No it wasn't very nondrowsy.
Upcoming Trips:

Upcoming Fantasy Cruise!

Upcoming Big Family Reunion Cruise
cruisecrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 09:59 AM   #7
WicketsMom
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmmace View Post

Our pharmacist (who is also my friend's father) told us to NOT get the non-drowsy formula as it doesn't work. He said that the antihistamine is not included in the non-drowsy formula and that is what makes it work.

Whatever you choose, be sure to try it out before you get on the ship to see how it affects you. Also be sure to take it before you start to feel sick because after you've gotten sick it's too late. (I am a dive instructor and have seen lots of seasick students!)

WicketsMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 01:57 PM   #8
the kids
Earning My Ears

Thanks for all the feedback. I hope my doc will say I can give my dd some dose of bonine. I am also going to try the sea bands. Any other advice is welcome.
the kids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 11:40 PM   #9
Kbrush
Mouseketeer

My mother gave me and my sibs Bonine when we were little, way back in the 70's. I give it to my daughter. Its the only motion sickness medication I have ever used. There was no kids formulation, she gave us half a regular tablet. Check with your pediatrician though.
Kbrush is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: