Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-01-2012, 09:32 PM   #46
realityland
Mouseketeer

Location: Latitude 27° 5' 59.199" Longitude -82° 27' 15.3475" (Venice, Florida)

Quote:
Originally Posted by newjerseymomma View Post
Did you ever make waves in a pool? Even though you are making it rough in one end the other end of the pool is also being disturbed? You are going to hit extremely rough water in the entire region. just because the storm was centered around the bahamas does not mean that they were only area feeling its effects at that time.
It's not like a rain storm where you can easily pass through it and have flat seas on the other side. A hurricane on the southern east coast cause problems with surf all the way up the coast.

Again you were able to see the storm and its size on the radar and you made the decision to get on the boat. I understand that it was a horrific experience but people need to use common sense and stop blaming everyone else for everything, it is becoming the american way to put blame on everyone but ourselves. People sue McDonalds because they eat big macs and then get fat take personal responsiblity.
You already received compensation from DCL when you booked at a cheaper rate then other seasons accepting the risk that you could hit a hurricane.
With a storm that was still producing winds in SW Florida (mind you, the opposite coast from where the storm passed) in excess of 30 MPH when the storm was making landfall in New Jersey days later - if you were in the water on the Atlantic side, you were going to be affected by the storm. It was just that honkin' big! The wind field was ginormous with this storm.

Vacations are ruined all the time. Sick kids, unexpected circumstances - you name it. How 'bout folks that vacationed in New York City this week? Exactly why there is such a thing as travel insurance.

At the end of the day, a litigation-happy society has bred this pervasive thinking that we are "owed" something. What ever happened to just getting screwed in life sometimes and taking it on the chin?

As horrific, disappointing, etc as this experience was for everyone - imagine if your house was sitting in a pile of rubble right now somewhere in New Jersey. Everything you ever worked for - gone. Poof. Just like that.

I have tremendous sympathy for those that had days of misery on the high seas and watched Sandy take their vacation plans and destroy them. But I have to agree with @newjerseymomma - from everything that was being shown regarding the storm, how could you have expected anything different?
Old 11-01-2012, 09:38 PM   #47
princesssfws
Mouseketeer

My family: me, my dh, dd(12), dd(10), ds(8), and dd(2), were suppose to be on the Dream during Sandy. We were at WDW and didn't even know about the upcoming hurricane until Wed night, lost in the WDW magic. Luckily my dh had checked the DCL website that night. I went to speak with front desk staff and they weren't very helpful, didn't even have the cruise line phone numbers available, to see about canceling.

Luckily I was able to get someone early Thursday morning at DCL reservations who was extremely helpful. Since I had bought trip insurance through DCL I could cancel and have all the amount I paid credited towards another cruise. I have to file a claim with the ins co and DCL said it will be denied but since I bought it through Disney they allow cancellations for any reason but you don't get your money back just a credit.

There was no way I was going to put my youngest dd on a boat with hurricane winds/rains. I had been on a yacht at the front end of a hurricane as a 15 year old and still remember it vividly, not a good experience.

I'm sorry for anyone that was on this cruise or receive incorrect information about canceling if you did have trip ins through Disney. From all accounts I'm hearing Disney made some rather poor choices during this cruise.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-02-2012, 09:56 AM   #48
bengals01
DIS Veteran

Friends of mine were on the Royal Caribbean Cruise last year in October. Their boat went out and got hammered. The all got a $250 on board credit. They then called the other cruise lines and told them not to come out. The other ships spent the night at the port. They went again this year and were told that captain got fired.
bengals01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 05:16 PM   #49
webbede
Earning My Ears

I just wanted to share that I finally got a response to the email I sent from Disney Cruise Line today indicating that they are extending the 25% off to include all stays at WDW or Disney Cruise Line of 7 days or less. Previously the letter we got onboard only included a future 3-day cruise.
webbede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 11:12 PM   #50
Kbrush
Mouseketeer

It is certainly true that with a storm the size of Sandy anywhere in the vicinity passengers ought to have expected rough sailing.

I do think Disney should have warned passengers ahead of time what sorts of seas they might encounter. People trust Disney to create magical moments and most have no idea what high seas are really like. They just have no point of reference. Yes, everyone should have known about Sandy but some people don't listen to the news on vacation. That Disney gave no word of warning probably reassured many that it really wasn't an issue.

Bright people can be quite naive when it comes to nature, especially when they are on vacation. There is often a tendency to think that everything is some sort of theme-park ride where no one can really get hurt. I used to see this all the time with tourists on rafting trips. Many just didn't get that yes, they needed to paddle when rapids came up or they might find themselves in a very real river. They were on vacation, the trip was not rated overly dangerous, perhaps they thought the rafts somehow ran on tracks or the guide had superhuman strength. You see the same sort of innocence when urban dwellers let their kids hand feed bears in National Parks. They just have no realistic sense of danger. How anyone could look at a real adult bear and think it was safe, sweet and cuddly I cannot imagine, but people do.

So yes, I think the passengers could reasonably have expected Disney to give them a warning ahead of time. Once in the midst of the storm there should have been a cast member on the horn giving people updates and reassurance fairly frequently. Not the captain though, he undoubtedly was a tad too busy! But I doubt even Disney quite knew what they were getting into as sailing on seas that trash the gift shop displays and terrify the passengers and staff is clearly something they would normally try hard to avoid.
Kbrush is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: