Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-07-2012, 12:46 PM   #16
fredgirls
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zandy595 View Post
I've always booked porthole rooms. The cruise we just got off Sunday, we had a FL rate verandah for $650 less than our original porthole room. The verandah was nice, but I wouldn't have paid extra for it.

I would probably save the money for a future trip.
Thank you. I'm swaying this way!

5-night Wonder from Miami trip report - http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3078323

fredgirls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 01:14 PM   #17
WanderlustNZ
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MySecondHome
I would opt for the excursion in another country. How often are your eyes going to be able to witness another land? IMHO.
I agree. New experiences open your heart and your mind. IMO these memories last longer than whether or not you had a little cabin, a few loungers and some drinks for a day stay on a beach.
Perhaps that's just me however. I could never justify those costs for a cabana when the beautiful sand and sea is free for everyone.
WanderlustNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-07-2012, 01:26 PM   #18
fredgirls
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderlustNZ View Post
I agree. New experiences open your heart and your mind. IMO these memories last longer than whether or not you had a little cabin, a few loungers and some drinks for a day stay on a beach.
Perhaps that's just me however. I could never justify those costs for a cabana when the beautiful sand and sea is free for everyone.
Very good points, thank you.
We like to explore and have been lucky enough to have lived different places and been able to explore many different countries and experience their cultures.
Our cruise this year was a very different holiday for us! But we were surprised how much we enjoyed it! Maybe we're just getting older!
I never liked the idea of a group excursion - always felt we wouldn't get a real feel for a place, so, with advice in hand, I think we'll explore on our own.

5-night Wonder from Miami trip report - http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3078323

Old 11-07-2012, 01:49 PM   #19
darwinsrule
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredgirls

Very good points, thank you.
We like to explore and have been lucky enough to have lived different places and been able to explore many different countries and experience their cultures.
Our cruise this year was a very different holiday for us! But we were surprised how much we enjoyed it! Maybe we're just getting older!
I never liked the idea of a group excursion - always felt we wouldn't get a real feel for a place, so, with advice in hand, I think we'll explore on our own.
Can you really get a feel for another country/culture when the ship is only in port for 8 hrs???
August'14 NCL Getaway ** March'15 Disney Wonder

Me DW DD10 DD6
darwinsrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 01:56 PM   #20
MND
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredgirls View Post
..where would you spend it?

I would invest it in one of my tobacco stocks. I'm making a killing off the dividends!
MND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 01:57 PM   #21
fredgirls
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by darwinsrule View Post
Can you really get a feel for another country/culture when the ship is only in port for 8 hrs???
No, not really!
But for our family I think we'll have a better experience doing our own thing.

Old 11-07-2012, 03:12 PM   #22
NancyIL
DIS Veteran

I usually book the least expensive cabin, and use the money saved for a longer trip (WDW before or after a Disney cruise), another trip, or a special excursion(s) on the current trip.
NancyIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 03:27 PM   #23
mrsfuzzmo
DIS Veteran

SPA Treatments and Palo or Remy. I usually skip those because of the cost, so if I had an extra $500 that's where it would go.
mrsfuzzmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 03:42 PM   #24
rhinodadz
Earning My Ears

Depends on who you're travelling with. If just DW and I we'd splurge on spa treatments and Palo's/Remy's. If with the kids we'd try to find a cool excursion - as another poster said it's all about making memories.
rhinodadz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 03:50 PM   #25
mybeachbabies
Mouseketeer

If it were me, I would spend it on a Couple's Choice spa villa treatment or an excursion.

Dream 11/6/11 ~ Wonder MR 3/18/12 ~ Wonder Pacific Coast 10/7/12 ~ Fantasy Eastern 6/15/13 ~ Wonder San Diego 5/17/14 ~ Fantasy Western 6/7/14
mybeachbabies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 03:55 PM   #26
sinnika
DIS Veteran

We made some art purchases on our most recent cruise on the Magic. I have never considered purchasing any artwork on the ship in the past because of the negative reviews I read about West End Gallery. All artwork is now sold directly thru DCL, and there was a master prepared art historian on board named Petra who was very helpful in explaining different pieces to us. Most pieces were offered at retail (with a 10% discount for Gold and Platinum, a very nice surprise!). In addition, there was a silent auction on our last sea day. We bid on and won a one-of-a-kind framed cutout of the Magic with at least 50 pins displayed in the ship including many of various past Magic cruises. Many of the pins were limited edition. I wish I knew how to upload a photo. The framing has Mickie Ears all around the border. We are thrilled with it! So if I had a extra $500, that's where my money would go!
sinnika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 04:22 PM   #27
fredgirls
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by NancyIL View Post
I usually book the least expensive cabin, and use the money saved for a longer trip (WDW before or after a Disney cruise), another trip, or a special excursion(s) on the current trip.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsfuzzmo View Post
SPA Treatments and Palo or Remy. I usually skip those because of the cost, so if I had an extra $500 that's where it would go.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhinodadz View Post
Depends on who you're travelling with. If just DW and I we'd splurge on spa treatments and Palo's/Remy's. If with the kids we'd try to find a cool excursion - as another poster said it's all about making memories.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mybeachbabies View Post
If it were me, I would spend it on a Couple's Choice spa villa treatment or an excursion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinnika View Post
We made some art purchases on our most recent cruise on the Magic. I have never considered purchasing any artwork on the ship in the past because of the negative reviews I read about West End Gallery. All artwork is now sold directly thru DCL, and there was a master prepared art historian on board named Petra who was very helpful in explaining different pieces to us. Most pieces were offered at retail (with a 10% discount for Gold and Platinum, a very nice surprise!). In addition, there was a silent auction on our last sea day. We bid on and won a one-of-a-kind framed cutout of the Magic with at least 50 pins displayed in the ship including many of various past Magic cruises. Many of the pins were limited edition. I wish I knew how to upload a photo. The framing has Mickie Ears all around the border. We are thrilled with it! So if I had a extra $500, that's where my money would go!
Thanks everyone.
I love reading everyone's thoughts. It also helps give perspective. Much appreciated.

Old 11-07-2012, 10:43 PM   #28
Seamama
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredgirls View Post
..where would you spend it?
I would get the complete Shutters pics CD. It was hard for me to walk away from all those pics AND it was a huge hassle to look at pics on my camera and compare to the ones they took so that I could choose only the ones I absolutely had to have (b/c they were bad on my camera). If I did this, I'd also have gotten a lot more pics w/ Shutters (to make sure I got my money's worth). On a 7-night cruise, it would've been $350 for the CD w/ everything. Probably a little less on your 5-night cruise so w/ what's leftover, I'd probably go to Palo/Remy... and I'd order more drinks!
Seamama is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: