Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-06-2012, 09:50 PM   #31
Sue M
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdw4rfam View Post
I will agree with you on this also. I have 3 kids ranging in age from 5-16, and think the noise is a bit much. Dont get me wrong, we thought the games and activities were fun, but there is NO reason for the volume level. The kids that were participating would have been able to hear if the volume was cut to a more comfortable level. Not complaining about the pool party, just maybe they could turn the volume of the speakers down a bit.
Good point.
Aug 2003 WDW Marriott Courtyard, [B]Aug 2005 [/BSeaWorld, Universal, Busch Gardens Hilton Garden Inn, ]Aug 2007 WDW CBR, Jan 2008WDW WL, Aug 2008St. Pete Beach, Universal-HRH, Sea Workd & Aquatica- Hyatt Place & Doubletree, Jan 2009WDW AKL, Aug 2009Key West Sheraton Suites, Cocoa Beach Hampton Inn, & WDW POR/WL, Jan 2010WDW Poly, Jan 2011WDW POR, Aug 2011WDW POR/BC CL, Jan 2012WDW WL, Aug 2012AKL CL, Jan. 2013POFQ Aug. 2013 WDW Pop, GF, YC Jan 2014POR

Next trip August 7-Sept 3 2014 Ft Lauderdale, Universal, WDW GF & GF CL
Sue M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 08:15 AM   #32
shalom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkerbelletreasure View Post
Even with all the adults who love Disney on their own, it is first and foremost for children and families. I expect to go to Disney and have my senses overloaded with sights, sounds, and music. It's all part of the experience.
If WDW is "first and foremost for children and families," why is it so loud in the afternoon when so many children will be needing naps? Kids need naps at WDW waaaay later than they do in their every day lives, and it would be a lot healthier for them to have the sensory overload at the parks, and quiet time in the resorts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpcotBill View Post
But this is fairly recent and for people who can entertain themselves at the pool it's very annoying.
My kids are able to entertain timeselves but also enjoy a bit of directed pool activity. They're also long past afternoon naps. However they thought the WDW pools too loud in the afternoon, which is part of why they voted to stay off site. I believe the major factor is that they thought the DVC 2 BRs too small, but the noisy pools were a definite negative for them. So it's not a "kids versus adults" thing, IMHO.
shalom is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-07-2012, 08:38 AM   #33
kris4360
DIS Veteran

I don't know what some people would do if they couldn't complain! What's next - fireworks are too late at night??
kris4360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 08:58 AM   #34
goofy4tink
Likes little devils
I know I'm getting old...I get it, I really do
Prisoner of Toy Story Mania

DISboards Moderator

Interesting comments regarding families vs adults only. I have been to WDW over 30 times since '99. I would say that almost half of those have been adult trips..either by myself or with other adults...and by that I mean over 17 y/o.

Yes, Disney is for families. But, there are plenty of adults vacationing there as well. To say that those adults who don't care for the noise need to find someplace else to vacation?? Ah, no...I don't think so.

We enjoyed the pool parties....we did them when my dd was younger. At 19, she doesn't find them nearly so entertaining..obviously. BUT...here's the thing. Those parties are overly loud. If you sit anywhere close to the pool area, then you have trouble carrying on a conversation with those near you. All it would take is a lowering of the volume..not so hard. And that CM, holding the mic??? Stop screaming into it. You aren't going to be adding to the festivities by screaming and trying for a false sense of fun!!!! It's almost as if some of them are trying to whip the kids into a frenzy!!!

There is room for improvement. Rather than all afternoon (which hasn't been my experience), these activities could be scheduled for shorter periods of time...maybe 90 mins or so. As long as they are shorter in duration, and not quite as loud, then people should be able to plan accordingly.

But, to say that WDW is for families?? And if you want relaxation and quiet then you need to go elsewhere? Nope...WDW is for everyone. Those of us who go there, as adults, with other adults, are spending a ton of money. And our money is just as welcome by Disney coffers as family dollars.

goofy4tink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 09:29 AM   #35
gogo
DIS Veteran

What if adults over ran the main pools at the resorts with oldie music that the younger set didn't enjoy at ear deafening levels or rap music that a lot of older teens seem to like. I'm sure there would be a lot of complaints about the young kids not being able to enjoy the pool/play time.

It's really about moderation. If the pool parties are listed at certain times during the day then people not interested, could arrange their schedules accordingly. Are these parties held daily and for long periods of time? I haven't had the pleasure of attending, lol. I haven't heard the screaming CM's but it sounds awful for others trying to enjoy the pool.
gogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 09:51 AM   #36
mhconley
Califloridian

I don't find the activities and accompanying music annoying, I find the volume annoying, and it's not just the resort activities music volume it's all music volume everywhere in the world.

Why does it have to be so loud? (The Electrical Water Pageant music is so loud it will knock you out of bed in the WL inner-courtyard.) Is everyone deaf? If not, you will be after a week at WDW.

Martin
Walt Disney World off-site: Summer 1972
Polynesian: Summer 1975
Disneyland day trip: Summer 1990
Grand Floridian: September 28 - October 8, 2002
Disneyland day trip: August 24, 2006
Wilderness Lodge: August 23-30, 2008
Disneyland Hotel: September 26 - October 1, 2009
Contemporary Resort: September 17-25, 2011
Pop Century / Wilderness Lodge: December 8-14, 2012
Disneyland Grand Californian: May 28 - June 1, 2013
Disney Fantasy: October 12-19, 2013
Wilderness Lodge: February 21-24, 2014
Disney Fantasy: June 6-13, 2015
mhconley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 12:02 PM   #37
melissarose
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoAnnPan View Post
I agree - would be different if the quiet pools were actually quiet but that is usually not the case; a whole other issue I would rather not get into right now . Just returned from POR and could hear the main pool music all the way over by Oak Manor. Everyone has their own opinion - but Disney is soooo not just for kids/families - I am middle aged and have no children and love everything they have to offer but I do not need my pool day to be interrupted by the loud microphone/dance music every day - at least they could have it maybe every other day??
uh oh. what are the quiet pools actually like? lol my boyfriend and i will be at POR in february and i was hoping that we could stay away from the main pool to avoid all activities and loud fun! lol
melissarose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 12:27 PM   #38
cluvsdisney
DIS Veteran

I think it's so incredibly annoying. DH & I were just at the BW and left the main pool to sit by the quiet pool where we could still hear the music. We could even hear it our room. It was doubly annoying because there is some music playing in the background, then the CM's screaming in the microphone and playing their music at 10000 decibels. It's not enjoyable at all.
cluvsdisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 12:29 PM   #39
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

Play me Pink Floyd and Lynrd Skynyrd! I'm all for that! Maybe not so much when they get out the Justin Bieber and Miley Cyrus. But I could do without the screaming on the microphone, or at least they might turn the microphone down a bit.

Sorry, Disney is not just for children and families. All day, really, don't they have certain times when the pool activities are scheduled? So you can plan to avoid them if they don't interest you? I remember OKW had a schedule. Don't think Allstar Music did, they just had someone out in the afternoon screaming on a microphone, which was set so loudly she could be clearly heard inside rooms that weren't all that close to the pool.

Last edited by TDC Nala; 11-07-2012 at 12:42 PM.
TDC Nala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 01:11 PM   #40
disneychic33
Mouseketeer

I have to say that I don't understand the reason for the pool parties to begin with. I have three children, DD 7, DD, 11 and DS 10, they never participate in the pool parties. They are in a pool having fun playing and swimming as a break from the chaos and stimulation of the parks. they don't need the added stimulation of the noise. They were annoyed by the CM constantly yelling at them to join the fun.
I'm just saying that when people are at the resort during the day it is normally to take a break from the noise not because they need more.
disneychic33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 01:24 PM   #41
cluvsdisney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneychic33 View Post
I have to say that I don't understand the reason for the pool parties to begin with. I have three children, DD 7, DD, 11 and DS 10, they never participate in the pool parties. They are in a pool having fun playing and swimming as a break from the chaos and stimulation of the parks. they don't need the added stimulation of the noise. They were annoyed by the CM constantly yelling at them to join the fun.
I'm just saying that when people are at the resort during the day it is normally to take a break from the noise not because they need more.
cluvsdisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 01:26 PM   #42
Maggie'sMom
DIS Veteran

We encountered these pool parties at the Poly in 2010 and at CSR this year. My DD participated in some of the games. Both times I thought the music and the CMs on the microphone were far too loud. It seemed especially jarring at the Poly. And the games seemed to go on forever. I don't mind the activities, but I'd like them to turn down the noise level a bit.
Maggie'sMom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 01:34 PM   #43
minniebeth
I count on y'all to keep me up to date ;)
I'm ok going up, just can't go down...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lylone View Post
Or is it maybe the parents don't have money to go everyday to the park??? Hmmm hmmmm
We go to Disney often for a variety of reasons. We've done the parks often, so now our trips include resort days. We've even done a few Disney trips where we haven't gone to parks at all. Many people choose to have resort days for a relaxing day, some down time, to enjoy the ammenities of the resorts, not just because they don't have the money to go to the parks.
There are plenty of activities for families to do around the World that are free. So really, I don't think this is why Disney incorporated the afternoon poolside activities.

I have kids, and my youngest, DD10 loves the poolside games and activities. She has had a blast at various resorts since the program rolled out 2 summers ago. But I do think the balance between fun for kids/families and the enjoyment of the pools for everyone in the afternoon has been upset. I think they could shorten the duration each day, and turn the volume down except perhaps for the dance party.
My biggest annoyance is that the resort pools' speakers with their own music still play during the activities, so if you are anywhere near one of those speakers, you hear both the resort music and the activities' music as well.

I give Disney credit on this one, despite me wishing they would find a better balance. I think they've done a great job on this program and it's one that they can't please everyone with, but one that kids love and often becomes a highlight of their fun times. I have so many friend who come back and say their kids loved the poolside resort activities and that's one thing they keep talking about.

Avenger's 1/2 Marathon!
minniebeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 01:39 PM   #44
minniebeth
I count on y'all to keep me up to date ;)
I'm ok going up, just can't go down...

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneychic33 View Post
I can see this side of it too~ when my DS17 was younger, he didn't like to be in loud situations and was not interested in participating in a lot. He liked to do his own thing. He would be annoyed if CMs were yelling for kids to particpate when he had no interest too. I get it.

Avenger's 1/2 Marathon!
minniebeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 01:46 PM   #45
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

I can't help but wonder if the people that complain the parties are too loud are also the ones who complained some of the attraction soundtracks were too loud. And are the reason you could barely hear some of them during my last trip. You could hardly hear the music on Splash Mountain. Or on Its a Small World either.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: